• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sound Shapes |OT| A Game For Vita (and PS3)

No, I really wouldn't change a thing. Like you mentioned in another post; after you play through it once or twice, figuring out what everything does, where the paths lead, and the correct order to collect the notes, it really makes for an enjoyable speed run! This is Man-is-Obsolete's level for everyone that missed it on the last page: http://soundshapesgame.com/level/dPYjqaqa

And... I think my level is about finished. I am having trouble deciding which screen to save on. =P

Hopefully it'll go up tonight!

Edit: It appears the "average lives" count on the website is now working! That must've been the reason for the website downtime yesterday. Makes things a bit more interesting!

Awesome, thanks again!

That bolded part is certainly intriguing and something I was pondering playing Thrill Seeker by The Darkest Red lol

Bluforce

Platinum!

Played mostly on Vita than PS3, but some "death levels" imho are possible only with Dual Shock in hands.

There are so many great "community" levels!

see5harp

I tried to sync my PS3 save file with my completed Vita save and still cannot get cloud sync to work. I can successfully sync on my Vita but when I get on the PS3 version it's just error after error.

Oh wow, two of my levels made the list, but the one I was really proud of didn't make it :p Very cool to see my levels mentioned.

I really need to start on a new one. I tried a few times, but I wasn't feeling the music and I really don't want to force it. I'm sure it will come to me.

Edit:
Also, more people should play this guys level . It's very cool.
Tony T's Lost City(puzzle)

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Haha, seems like half of that list are users from GAF then ;p

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Finally finished my first level. I assume it still feels a bit raw and also way smaller than gems like "And I to fire", but I'd love some comments on it. First music related thing I ever did myself and I havent done that much level design yet either.

The level also has a secret passage. Small hint:
There is a rather easy to find hint in a screen somewhere on the position of the secret passage
Most people probably will never find it :p

It has only 4 main screens (and a few more hidden ones), but I hope someone likes it :)

http://soundshapesgame.com/level/4hVC0jfV

YES! Got #1 on the leaderboard on Touch The People and beat Wario64's time as well by 6 seconds. :D

Also had to delete elevators in my level since I was getting that script error. :S

Famassu

Anyone have tips for Event Horizon Death Mode #1 and Thermogenica DM#2? I guess I could manage Thermogenica if I tried it long enough, but Event Horizon is making me hate this game :/

Anyone have tips for Event Horizon Death Mode #1 and Thermogenica DM#2? I guess I could manage Thermogenica if I tried it long enough, but Event Horizon is making me hate this game :/

Is Event Horizon Death Mode #1 where there are two beams that cross each other and you have two streams to float around in? Yeah, it's tough but just keep at it and eventually you'll get good note placement making it pretty easy.

Cornbread78

I can't beat any of those Death Mode missions...aarrggh

Last time I rage quite and almost threw my VITA. I'll give it time again soon enough but I have to clense my soul first, lol...

AwShucks

Platinum!

Played mostly on Vita than PS3, but some "death levels" imho are possible only with Dual Shock in hands.

There are so many great "community" levels!

There were a few hard "death" levels to beat on Vita, but I did clear the entire game on Vita only so they aren't impossible :)

baberunisei

In the beginning wait for the first red shot then go to the top

always go up using X
always go down with square/R1 (I prefer R1)

Every time you need to take a note in the middle of the screen, don't stop there: continue your movement until you get to the top/bottom. With that, you avoid being hit and at the same time can get lucky and take a new note very fast

For me, the most difficult part was going from the right side to the left, but with practise I got it. It was also the most difficult level for me.

edit: these tips were for Event Horizon Death Mode #1,

For Thermogenica DM#2, you just need to jump from platform to platform in the same rythm as the waves reach the top of them. You will beat the level in no time doing this

Famassu

Thanks for the advices, Platinumed. :)

In the end, Event Horizon #1 didn't feel as bad as the first time I played it. Really, the thing I hate about Death Mode the most is the fact that a big part of Sound Shapes is the music and these levels don't really have any. I would've loved it if they, like other levels, added layers of music as you collected more notes, would've made it more intense. While I did get frustrated in some levels and while the random placement of the notes is not the best game design ever (in some levels it works pretty well, like that one where the dude shoots laser and you have to skip it like rope), it was a welcome challenge.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
I tried to sync my PS3 save file with my completed Vita save and still cannot get cloud sync to work. I can successfully sync on my Vita but when I get on the PS3 version it's just error after error.

having this same problem, is it common?

Well, platinum at last, good game...

BUT

Stupid, annoying and cheap Death Mode, i don´t wanna touch this game again in a month...i love the music (playing with a good headset is godlike), i love the campaign, beat school is awesome (too short though), but damn, the Death Mode is plain luck, those random notes just fuck everything, you can´t get better in this mode, you can be more or less lucky and beat some of the levels quick, or repeat them 100 times, and that´s it, the only thing you can improve on is reflexes, but in the end, there´s a max speed you can move at, it does not matter if you can do every single jump and movement perfect, if the notes spawn always on the opposite corner of the screen, you lose, there´s no way to get them all, simply as that.

Cheap, boring, and just not fun at all.

/end rant

Well, platinum at last, good game...

BUT

Stupid, annoying and cheap Death Mode, i don´t wanna touch this game again in a month...i love the music (playing with a good headset is godlike), i love the campaign, beat school is awesome (too short though), but damn, the Death Mode is plain luck, those random notes just fuck everything, you can´t get better in this mode, you can be more or less lucky and beat some of the levels quick, or repeat them 100 times, and that´s it, the only thing you can improve on is reflexes, but in the end, there´s a max speed you can move at, it does not matter if you can do every single jump and movement perfect, if the notes spawn always on the opposite corner of the screen, you lose, there´s no way to get them all, simply as that.

Cheap, boring, and just not fun at all.

/end rant
You know, I feel the same about those points with death mode, but I still loved it. I guess I'm a masochist, but it was just the right amount for me not to totally hate it since I love stuff like that.

But don't get me wrong, I probably would've finished it a lot earlier if it wasn't for the note randomness.

So I know I said I was going to stop making levels for a bit, but couldn't resist. I had a couple of left over ideas and decided to create a short and mildly challenging level. Considering I did it in a few short hours I am actually really happy with how it turned out. So check it out, heart if you like, and let me know what you think.

http://soundshapesgame.com/level/jkpSFTb8

BTW, I have played some really cool levels from folks here and elsewhere. Tomorrow I will try to put up some feedback on a few. Hopefully people keep it up.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Finally sunk my teeth into this game and finished the campaign...soooo damn good. Gonna start playing with the level creator, I started that music teacher thing but I dont know wtf Im doing. Its probably gonna take me days to make anything remotely resembling music.

Finally sunk my teeth into this game and finished the campaign...soooo damn good. Gonna start playing with the level creator, I started that music teacher thing but I dont know wtf Im doing. Its probably gonna take me days to make anything remotely resembling music.

Beat School essentially plays a beat for you and you simply just have to place the notes on the screen to match the beat. So if at the very beginning you hear a bass drum kick you know you will need to place a note in the first column probably in one of the first 3 rows. You just keep going till you recreate the beat.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Beat School essentially plays a beat for you and you simply just have to place the notes on the screen to match the beat. So if at the very beginning you hear a bass drum kick you know you will need to place a note in the first column probably in one of the first 3 rows. You just keep going till you recreate the beat.
Yeah I didnt touch the level creator at all till now so it took me a few minutes to realize how to even place the beats. I can see myself dumping alot of hours into this, and that is a good thing.

Yeah I didnt touch the level creator at all till now so it took me a few minutes to realize how to even place the beats. I can see myself dumping alot of hours into this, and that is a good thing.

If the campaign didn't provide enough inspiration below is a list of all the levels created by people here at GAF. Definitely check them out, there's a lot of great ideas not present in the campaign.

http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=40976880&postcount=1252

Markew001

So I know I said I was going to stop making levels for a bit, but couldn't resist. I had a couple of left over ideas and decided to create a short and mildly challenging level. Considering I did it in a few short hours I am actually really happy with how it turned out. So check it out, heart if you like, and let me know what you think.

http://soundshapesgame.com/level/jkpSFTb8

BTW, I have played some really cool levels from folks here and elsewhere. Tomorrow I will try to put up some feedback on a few. Hopefully people keep it up.

You're pumping 'em out! Queued up to try later!

orioto

Good Art™
I just played Orioto's level a couple nights ago and it was really good. Need to queue up the metamophose level. Hadn't seen or heard of it yet.

Thx for the great feedback on the level's page :)
And wow at the feature! Thx kassatsu I'm pretty proud now :p

I'm late to play the gaf levels, i barely played the game this week. Just had the time to begin a new level then trash it cause it wasn't good.
I'm trying to do something symmetrical...

I'm seeing the video .. omg haha, i was not playing like that :p
But anyway about the game, what about this ability to shut down the lasers ?? I don't really see the point...

Grinchy

Banned
I'm progressing through this game pretty slowly, but I just beat the Deadmau5 levels and they were so awesome. I've played a handful of user levels too and I'm pretty surprised by the level of quality so far.

pargonta

Alright, I've just put up these 2 new levels for anyone interested.

http://soundshapesgame.com/level/cUjaYwXb
Aqua Velvet is a short, speed run focused, moody level. It's not meant to be challenging, just meant to be a quick roller coaster ride. The game "Mouse Trap" was an inspiration, where obstacles and pathways just sort of flow together. The alternative title was 'do fish dream of electric sheep'… so, yeah.

http://soundshapesgame.com/level/rtD88fqy
Office Affair is a story heavy and thematically dense 10 or so minute level. You tell your wife goodbye and go off to work, but in the afternoon doldrums a flirtatious coworker catches your eye. Can you escape the twisted business world she drags you into?

I am proud of the beat in Aqua Velvet and the themes in Office Affair. but neither one is as good as Shadow of the Colossus I don't think. but, screw it, lol.

Endo Punk

Game is pretty sweet and nice you get a Vita version too. I'll be getting a few more games this year that come with free Vita version and before long I will have a Vita library without even owning the system lol.

BTW is it me or the search function doesn't work in Sound Shapes, was looking for a few levels from the top 20 list and it came up with nothing.

Markew001

Well they aren't nearly as complex as some of the levels the rest here are producing lol.

BTW Your latest level is amazing. One of the best for sure.

Thanks so much! That really means a lot coming from you - I feel your levels are excellent as well. I hope this community thrives for a loooong time and we continue to see excellent levels.

Koroviev

Game is pretty sweet and nice you get a Vita version too. I'll be getting a few more games this year that come with free Vita version and before long I will have a Vita library without even owning the system lol.

BTW is it me or the search function doesn't work in Sound Shapes, was looking for a few levels from the top 20 list and it came up with nothing.

I have the same problem. It's frustrating :

Foshy

I've been grinding Invaderoids for like 2 hours straight to get the WR so that all the deadmau5 levels could be mine, but I didn't manage to set a single time. I've massively improved in the first third of the level but I always fuck up somewhere.

I only need one second less...damn Arukado D:

Sintoid

Can anybody help me?
How does cloud saving works?
Can I use my PSV Cloud save on PS3? I tried to synch PS3 but I get an error... :(

Top Bottom