• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park: The Stick of Truth |OT| Bigger, Longer, and Uncut (In select regions)

JRPG is a genre name, not a region designator. Consult one of the 15 million threads we had on the subject, and be convinced by the flood of arguments proving how silly it is to make genre names region-bound.

Not to derail the thread any further, but the J in JRPG stands for Japanese. By definition, JRPG as a genre name is region-bound. If we are using JRPG to describe games that are not Japanese in origin, I think we need a new name.

Killzig

Yeah, I agree. Also, I was wondering
One of the audio logs mentions a locked cabinet with a code. Where was this?

It's probably
loot on the hobo in that sub basement of the ship. If I am recalling correctly, the log-creator says he looted it and that it wasn't of any use to him. I am likely assuming too much that the audiologs were created by that hobo. Either way, the locked container has already been looted.

Not to derail the thread any further, but the J in JRPG stands for Japanese. By definition, JRPG as a genre name is region-bound. If we are using JRPG to describe games that are not Japanese in origin, I think we need a new name.

Not really, it's shorthand to narrow down a style of rpg with a very specific kind of combat / trappings. It's instantly recognizable to most RPG fans (and non-pedants).

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Completed every quest except the "find the kindergärtners" one, 5/6 so far, cant for the life of me find the last one.

I'm so old, I still think of "real" RPGs as being something closer to tabletop campaigns where you make a unique character and have no real defined plot, and the majority of everything else is just various flavors of Dragon Warrior :p

Durante

You'll also need to use a VPN if you wish to play the game now*, but otherwise yes.

* An alternative to leaving the VPN running while you play is to switch to Offline Mode and then kill the VPN. Since Steam has no active connection to the internet while in OM, the "Play" button will not revert back to "Pre-load".
Sounds a bit cumbersome, I think I'll just keep playing Shadowrun until the official EU release date then.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Did you get the one that's inside of a building?

It was a while ago i started it and found the 5 pretty easy, cant remember where I found them originally but im currently hopping in every house/store.

mrpeabody

"JRPG" is much more useful as a description of game mechanics than geographical origin. Think of it as "Japanese-style RPG", if the acronym bothers you.

Lusankya

Well it's not like i bought the gimped version on purpose ;)
I usually buy from GMG to circumvent the german steam store, but i guess i'll have to look into nuuvem.

Man, i'm totally bummed now

GMG is kinda random. As a German I get sometimes the UK and sometimes the German version.

I don't know if this has been discussed yet, but I find the PS3's version audio settings to be wild and wacky. I'm on a phat PS3 and South park only seems to output in either Dolby Digital or DTS, and not LPCM. To make matters worse, if the PS3 is configured to be able to output both DD and DTS, the game defaults to DD. I'd rather have the higher bitrate DTS any day of the week, so why not let me select this option in-game? And, above and beyond all of that, why doesn't the game just output in LPCM?!

Anyone else have corrupted data when you download the bonus content via the code inside the box?
I did. I deleted the game data from the PS3 dashboard and re-downloaded the content. This fixed the matter.

Durante

So, I've decided I want to try the game right now. However, if I try to put it in my cart at Nuuvem I get a message telling me that "This product is not available for purchase in your region". I guess I need to purchase it via VPN/proxy as well? This is rather ridiculous. What's the best (free) option in terms of VPN/proxy?

I prefer turn-based RPG, but it doesn't bother me either way. Nor should it bother anyone else, its silly.
"Turn-based" doesn't describe the same chunk of the whole RPG pie as "JRPG". Just as an example, Might and Magic X is turn-based but in no way is it a JRPG. But really, we shouldn't derail this thread with another instance of that discussion.

Ridley327

It was a while ago i started it and found the 5 pretty easy, cant remember where I found them originally but im currently hopping in every house/store.

That might be the one. I'm pretty sure found that one in one of the buildings that requires you to find a key in order to enter it.

Wearing sorcerer's costume with butters as your companion breaks the game. Enemies never attack you so butters dies constantly and even when dead they attack his corpse instead of you.

So, I've decided I want to try the game right now. However, if I try to put it in my cart at Nuuvem I get a message telling me that "This product is not available for purchase in your region". I guess I need to purchase it via VPN/proxy as well? This is rather ridiculous. What's the best (free) option in terms of VPN/proxy?

I just bought it from Nuuvem without VPN. Can you enter the region on the site?

EDIT: Also, what and when is the first region it releases on PC?

[QUOTE I did. I deleted the game data from the PS3 dashboard and re-downloaded the content. This fixed the matter.[/QUOTE]

is it even really worth it? is the content that much better? I just started a vanilla no dlc game rather than even mess with it.

I don't know if this has been discussed yet, but I find the PS3's version audio settings to be wild and wacky. I'm on a phat PS3 and South park only seems to output in either Dolby Digital or DTS, and not LPCM. To make matters worse, if the PS3 is configured to be able to output both DD and DTS, the game defaults to DD. I'd rather have the higher bitrate DTS any day of the week, so why not let me select this option in-game? And, above and beyond all of that, why doesn't the game just output in LPCM?!

I noticed that too. I thought it was an issue with the settings at first but everything was the same. Very strange. I saw dts on the back of the box and was wondering why it wouldn't even output that.

Abounder

Banned
This is how you create storytelling and immersion in a video game

Best RPG in a long time...page turning level of greatness

EDIT: As for JRPG...this game definitely is one in style and mechanics like the Mario RPGs

FaintDeftone

This game is surprisingly addictive. Just exploring the town and finding collectables and items really works for me. I also love all the dialog and TV chatter you hear throughout the world. I cannot wait until I can get off work and play some more. Consider this one of the biggest surprises of the year so far.

I did have an issue (PS3 version) where after I patched the game it kept telling me my game data was corrupt and I had to delete the game cache and reinstall it.

Zabant

Just finished it, got everything done apart from collecting every piece of equipment.

What a surprisingly good game, it really was an interactive 8 hour+ south park episode, and one of the good ones at that.

TKHvXjh.png

Think I might miss my dude, The engine and tech in the game would be well suited to a F2P MMO.

Just open it up a little more, add in a much bigger level curve + loot table and you're set. It would be a great platform for a delivery of south park humour through dlc packs/levels/dungeons

Darklord

Banned
On the UFO ship: "Oh god, why am I standing here making an audio log?!"

Haha, that bit was pretty funny. It's so true for games as well.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Spotflux should work.

[QUOTE I did have an issue (PS3 version) where after I patched the game it kept telling me my game data was corrupt and I had to delete the game cache and reinstall it.[/QUOTE]

what did you end up doing, i have the same problem. Did you just play without the patch?

Zabant

For me the only hard boss fight was
Al Gore
, I had to actually plan out a method of attack,
I went with using Jimmy to keep the secret service asleep every round with his debuff song, and then using bleeding stacks + "extra damage to bleeding" patches and perks to focus down gore who is the main threat.
As a thief it was a lot of
power chord powerups then backstabbing.

Camp Lo

Banned
I don't know what kind of RPG system this is but I want more of it. I love how deep this game is during battles. 2 hours in and I'm googling "RPGs like South Park Stick of Truth". I'm enjoying the fuck outta this game

I don't know what kind of RPG system this is but I want more of it. I love how deep this game is during battles. 2 hours in and I'm googling "RPGs like South Park Stick of Truth". I'm enjoying the fuck outta this game

all the Mario RPGs except partners in time are worth playing.

Bloodsent

Did you check the bank? You should see the kids red pants, but nothing else behind a counter.

I've never played it myself, but it seems a lot of people have been comparing the combat system to Paper Mario.

I did have an issue (PS3 version) where after I patched the game it kept telling me my game data was corrupt and I had to delete the game cache and reinstall it.

what did you end up doing, i have the same problem. Did you just play without the patch?

This happened to me when I downloaded the DLC key before installing the game data. What I did was delete the install data, install the game, and then download the DLC key again.

(Clearly it's still very early, but) Has anyone put together a guide yet on trophies/achievements to keep an eye out for? I'm hesitant to look through the list as I don't want to spoil myself on jokes/references I haven't encountered yet, but as I kind of want to 100% this I'm worried I'm blowing past stuff that would require a second playthrough to get again.

Think I put in a good 8hrs and I feel like I'm in the middle point.

What partner is everybody mostly using in battle's? I've been using
Cartman
ever since I got him. His fire attack is really good against crowds, but he dies pretty quickly.
Stan
is one of my favorite characters, but he's not so great in combat.

Nokterian

I also bought it from GMG..but my pre load is totally done all 4,2 gigs but i am from the netherlands and the date is gone from the steam store now i am worrying if it will not be released tonight at midnight....

NEO0MJ

Like others mentioned, the Mario RPGs are great. The most recommended are Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars, Paper Mario, Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, Mario And Luigi: Super Star Saga and finally Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story.

Stuart444

Completed the game mostly though I still have to finish a few side quests.

Fun game, enjoyed it a lot

Some moments that made me laugh out loud:

Lemmiwinks song, both boss one and the new kid variation
Canada
PRINCESS KENNY!

Also made me sad that some stuff we saw in trailers was either changed or didn't make it in (ie the Nagasaki with Randy bit which had a trailer all to itself).

Cartman
ever since I got him. His fire attack is really good against crowds, but he dies pretty quickly.
Stan

I used primarily Jimmy and Kenny. I used
pestilence as a Jew along with Jimmy's shit horn to wiper out most enemies or Kenny's unicorn move
I didn't run into too many issues during fights as that along with the healthy amount of power potions and health potions only had me die a couple of times on normal.

Zabant

Cartman
Stan

Kyle is the best, his elven archers ability is just disgustingly powerful and it's only 3 simple QTE prompts

Mask

Is the US psn digital version uncensored?

I have the funds in my US account, and I'm waiting to buy it, but as I'm in the UK, I don't want to buy the digital us version if
it's the same censored game we get over here.

Top Bottom