• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park: The Stick of Truth |OT| Bigger, Longer, and Uncut (In select regions)

Sanctuary

I don't know what kind of RPG system this is but I want more of it. I love how deep this game is during battles. 2 hours in and I'm googling "RPGs like South Park Stick of Truth". I'm enjoying the fuck outta this game

I don't know what kind of RPGs you're used to, but there's nothing really "deep" about the combat in this game. It has just enough options to reach "standard" JRPG levels. It's fun initially, but after a while it just boils down to killing trash with your most powerful attack once or twice, and boss fights revolve around one or two same strategies for your class.

Dario ff

Banned
It did, thanks.

I have to admit that it feels good to circumvent arbitrary censorship and release date restrictions :p
I don't think you'll be feeling good once you see why they censored them. :D

EDIT: Oh wait, the PC austrian versions are just the Swastikas thing anyway.

Durante

I don't think you'll be feeling good once you see why they censored them. :D
I'd rather be disgusted by the original scenes than by them being censored :p

(But actually what I circumvented was just the removal of Swastikas and the later release date, not any content censorship)

I used primarily Jimmy and Kenny. I used
pestilence as a Jew along with Jimmy's shit horn to wiper out most enemies or Kenny's unicorn move
I didn't run into too many issues during fights as that along with the healthy amount of power potions and health potions only had me die a couple of times on normal.

The only time I've used
Jimmy
, was for his sidequest. I think it was because he didn't have all his abilities, that I didn't like him much at the time. Might need to try him out again since I'm trapped on a boss at the moment anyways.

Kyle is the best, his elven archers ability is just disgustingly powerful and it's only 3 simple QTE prompts

I haven't used
Kyle
yet, but this makes me want to use him now.

Dario ff

Banned
I don't know what kind of RPG system this is but I want more of it. I love how deep this game is during battles. 2 hours in and I'm googling "RPGs like South Park Stick of Truth". I'm enjoying the fuck outta this game
If you enjoy the Paper cut-out aesthetic and the one-partner at a time mechanic, definitely go for Paper Mario TTYD (Gamecube) and the original Paper Mario (N64). Wii and 3DS one aren't bad games, but they're very different combat-wise.

If you're more open to just the style of the combat requiring active input, try Super Mario RPG (SNES) and anything from the Superstar Saga on portables.

Andrew.

Banned
Finally was able to squeeze out a nice turd of my own and fling it at someone. Feels good man. It was much easier to place the pad on a hard surface and mash the button with my index finger.

Does anyone know where to find all of the kindergarteners?

I found the patch notes on Obsidian's forums:

Patch02 is Available on Steam Now. The Patch will become available on consoles soon.

Fixes:
- Fixed an issue where a buddy swap during an autosave could result in an infinite loading issue with affected save files.
- Fixed potential infinite loading issues during transitions if a buddy swap has not previously occurred.
- Fixed an issue where the camera could potentially lock to a zoomed view in cutscenes.
- Fixed an animation popping issue on Cartman if the player selects the Jew Class.
- Fixed an edge case issue where the player may not gain the (Quest and NPC name spoiler)
"Unfriend Al Gore" quest when being spammed by Al Gore Facebook messages.
- Some minor performance improvements in Canada.

ZorpAttacks

Neo Member
Not sure if this has already been posted but this Guardian article sheds some more light on the EU censorship.

PEGI statement;

‘The game was assessed by us and deemed acceptable for a Pegi 18 rating. For some games released in the UK, we are obliged to consider UK legislation as the Video Recordings Act 2010 currently affects video games. This consideration applies to games that are likely to attain a Pegi 12, 16 or 18 rating and which may contain potentially harmful or illegal material. As there was no such issue with the game, it was duly given its Pegi 18 uncut.

“Let me emphasise that we did not censor or edit the game in any shape or form. Some time later, the publisher made a decision to make alterations to the game which meant it had to be re-submitted to us as a different version. We are not privy to reasons why the game was edited and cannot, therefore, give you any other details. This version was subsequently rated 18 uncut also”.

Seems that there is literally no reason why the game should be cut (apart from the Swastika issue in Germany).

TL;DR

-Uncut version submitted to PEGI and passed uncut with 18 rating
-Voluntarily cut version resubmitted to PEGI; passed, but still an 18
-Ubisoft say cuts are for 'marketing reasons'

AwRy108

Finally was able to squeeze out a nice turd of my own and fling it at someone. Feels good man. It was much easier to place the pad on a hard surface and mash the button with my index finger.

Does anyone know where to find all of the kindergarteners?

LOL, posts like this can only exist in a some sort of South Park related thread.

Aces&Eights

(Clearly it's still very early, but) Has anyone put together a guide yet on trophies/achievements to keep an eye out for? I'm hesitant to look through the list as I don't want to spoil myself on jokes/references I haven't encountered yet, but as I kind of want to 100% this I'm worried I'm blowing past stuff that would require a second playthrough to get again.

Non Spoiler
Well I can tell you one achievement is not to sell any loot during the whole game so if you have already you're looking at a second playthrough.

Just beat it. Absolutely fantastic. I'd estimate it took me around 16 hours or so, and I did all the quests.

9-9.5/10, easily. One of the best liscensed games out there. Only real flaw with it was the pacing felt rushed during the last few hours. would have preferred if there was a bit more content there (
like recruiting another faction or two. It was lame that the pirates and trekkies just showed up for no reason when it would have been great to recruit them
) to alleviate that, though most of the game is free from that and feels great.

Presentation is authentic and perfect on all fronts, from the great music to the outstanding graphics. Combat has a surprising amount of depth, to the point that it doesnt really wear thin before the game ends. Personally, I would have liked it if the final few encounters were harder, but enough people are complaining about the
Al Gore
fight that I think they found a good balance. as far as technical issues go, i didn't have any besides a subtitle disappearing once.

Obsidian can do no wrong, and I hope Matt and Trey make another game in the future.

Agreed. I hate it when games make trophies based on multiple playthroughs. I love the game but with dark souls 2, Metal Gear and infamous all coming out I won't have time.

I'm pretty sure you could get all the achievements in one play-through if you play as a Jew and juggle save files.

rawktapus

4xjyO2J.jpg

It takes one-two minutes but it ends eventually.
Ha! That got me good. Now I feel dumb. :p

Teknoman

Some minor performance improvements in Canada.

That just seems funny for some reason.

Anyway, didnt know City Wok guy had one tooth.

Super Mario RPG
Paper Mario 64
Paper Mario the thousand year door
Mario and Luigi superstar saga
Mario and Luigi: Bowsers Inside Story
Mario and Luigi Dream Team

Andrew.

Banned
(Clearly it's still very early, but) Has anyone put together a guide yet on trophies/achievements to keep an eye out for? I'm hesitant to look through the list as I don't want to spoil myself on jokes/references I haven't encountered yet, but as I kind of want to 100% this I'm worried I'm blowing past stuff that would require a second playthrough to get again.

Early in the game, make sure you wear the Bald Cap and Evil Cartman Goatee when you hit up the
meth tweeker house
next to Kenny's

I definitely want to 100% this and it'll take two playthroughs since I'm rolling a thief, my bro Butters already fell in battle and Ive sold a bunch of crap.

Recall

The save system is so counter productive. I'm repeating content over and over and it is turning me off the game. I was hoping I could play with just a random hour to spare here or there but there are time where im spending 10 minutes of it repeating past moments.

Andrew.

Banned
The save system is so counter productive. I'm repeating content over and over and it is turning me off the game. I was hoping I could play with just a random hour to spare here or there but there are time where im spending 10 minutes of it repeating past moments.

I dunno man, it seems to auto save pretty often (when the Snacky Smores bear recorder is in the lower right corner rotating)

One way to easily and quickly save is to just walk into someones house. It auto saves all the time when that happens. Just do a hard save right there.

Peff

I don't know if everybody else has already figured this out, but hitting LB and RB instead of holding them rotates your farts and skills quickly. Much better than bringing up that slow menu all the time.

Not at all what I meant by 'deep' battles but thanks I guess.

Wat

Only played around 3 hours yesterday but I had a blast! I mostly just explored the town; I love all the references they put in! This is the game I've been waiting for!

Now I need to take a picture of my Cartman and Ganondorf figurines fighting each other! lol

I don't know if everybody else has already figured this out, but hitting LB and RB instead of holding them rotates your farts and skills quickly. Much better than bringing up that slow menu all the time.

Yeah this was a good addition on the dev's part.

Andrew.

Banned
Why does the basement area have better dungeon music than Diablo 3...

The whole game has a better soundtrack than a lot out there. To me anyways.

Between this and DKCTF Ive been spoiled out the ass with new game soundtracks for the past few weeks.

NEO0MJ

Fighting Al Gore was funny enough, but fighting Al Gore disguised as Man-Bear-Pig was too funny.

Yeah, the same thing bothered me with Bioshock Infinite as well. It was even worse in Infinite.

Not at all what I meant by 'deep' battles but thanks I guess.

What do you mean, exactly? I thought you wanted a similar battle system at first. If you mean by complexity then you should try the SMT series.

Milennia

Holy shit
I explored the entirety of
cartmans backyard, and he said "wow new kid explored my whole back yard, must be a hardcore gamer, nice"

For all you europeans: I bought this from Nuuvem and it activated fine without VPN or anything. I preloaded and activated it through a US VPN via Tunnelbear and it works as long as I leave it in offline mode. Just a heads up if you wanna get on it early.

About to import the US-edition ( PS3 ). But...If I buy the US edition of the game, will I be able to redeem the preorder DLC codes, that come with the game, on my EU-account?

DukeBobby

Goddamn, this
Al Gore
fight on Hardcore is a pain in the ass.

It's nice to finally have a challenge, though.

EDIT: Did it. Backstab for the win!

Dwayne

About to import the US-edition ( PS3 ). But...If I buy the US edition of the game, will I be able to redeem the preorder DLC codes, that come with the game, on my EU-account?

No, but you can create a US account, redeem them, and then use the DLC content under your EU account.

NEO0MJ

Nope, you'll need to activate it on a US account. In most cases though DLC is shared with all accounts on the system, not just the one that downloaded it.

Peff

It's really not worth the trouble. Not only is the game quite easy, the stuff you get is all level 2, which means it'll be outdated after the first hour pretty much.

Top Bottom