• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park: The Stick of Truth |OT| Bigger, Longer, and Uncut (In select regions)

Well I aint getting the censored version! So if I buy it on PSN US store, I can play it on my PAL PS3?

I live in Sweden by the way, hopefully that version wont be censored?

Dawg

Well I aint getting the censored version! So if I buy it on PSN US store, I can play it on my PAL PS3?

I live in Sweden by the way, hopefully that version wont be censored?

Sweden is part of the EU so I am going to assume it is censored as well.

Buying it off the US PSN store should work, you just have to make a US account, buy it and then you can switch accounts while it is downloading.

As long as the cuts are as small as stated then I'm not overly outraged.

In fact I'm kind of looking forward to the images selected by Matt and Trey.

Dinjooh

Sweden is part of the EU so I am going to assume it is censored as well.

Buying it off the US PSN store should work, you just have to make a US account, buy it and then you can switch accounts while it is downloading.

So I can still get trophies on my EU account?

Intwedestin.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
As JaseC pointed out, the German and Austrian version is indeed censored on pc as well. That's probably about swastikas and the such though, not sure if the anal probe/abortion scenes are left uncut or not.

That's a good question, I wouldn't want Ubi to patch out the censored content or something.

My local store says all retail AT (Austria) versions are censored.

http://www.gameware.at/info/space/South+Park:+Der+Stab+der+Wahrheit?actionTag=front:headline

2014-02-2514_54_39-sofjsp5.png

It says:

Identical with US version except Swastika stuff is cut.

Looks like the anal probe scenes are in.

Oh, check the comments section, one of the store guys says:

Bei diesem Spiel gibt es eine einheitliche Fassung für ganz Europa, somit fehlen diese Symbole auch in der UK-Version.

rough google translation:
In this game there is a unified version for all of Europe, thus lacking these icons in the UK version.

Meaning even the UK version is cut.

My local store says all retail AT (Austria) versions are censored.

http://www.gameware.at/info/space/South+Park:+Der+Stab+der+Wahrheit?actionTag=front:headline

2014-02-2514_54_39-sofjsp5.png

It says:

Looks like the anal probe scenes are in.

Oh, check the comments section, one of the store guys says:

rough google translation:
In this game there is a unified version for all of Europe, thus lacking these icons in the UK version.

Meaning even the UK version is cut.

This is all old info. Don't rely on retailers. We got the statement from Ubisoft which versions are cut and what has been cut out.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Since outside of the known region-locked countries it's the same Steam sub everywhere, it should be impossible to retroactively censor the game selectively, right?

Yes, that's what I just said. ;) But with the game also being censored in the UK I'm beginning to fear that Ubi just decided to censor the game worldwide, on all platforms, Fallout 3 style. Someone needs to get in touch with Ubi US.

To all the people who are rightly pissed off about censorship and are cancelling pre-orders and so on, just get the game on pc instead. It's cheaper, uncut (other than Germany, Austria and Australia) and the requirements are rather low, it'll probably run just fine even on old rigs.

Though it'd be cool if someone could get in touch with Ubisoft/Obsidian to get definitive confirmation whether the European Steam version is uncensored or if they're planning something fishy about that too.

Yes, that's what I just said. ;) But with the game also being censored in the UK I'm beginning to fear that Ubi just decided to censor the game worldwide, on all platforms, Fallout 3 style. Someone needs to get in touch with Ubi US.
I hope that's not the case:/

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
can I buy a steam key from an uncensored region and use it on steam?

Yes, however there may not be any regions wherein it's uncensored. Since the game is censored in the UK there's a big question mark hanging over the ROW sub as to whether or not it too is censored.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
This is all old info. Don't rely on retailers. We got the statement from Ubisoft which versions are cut and what has been cut out.

I rely on retailers i trust. They said the UK version is cut 15 days before Ubisoft said anything, so please.

CassSept

"Each censored scene is replaced by an image background and a description text selected by Matt & Trey"

disgonbegud.gif

Finalow

lol, that FAQ. by the way Derrick was totally right.

anyway, I guess I hit the jackpot by getting the pc version since it doesn't get censored like the console ones (or so it seems?) and also it's only on steam instead of being on that uplay turd.

spekkeh

Banned
Great job Ubisoft. Subjugating us to German laws as to not bring back memories of being subjugated to German laws. That must have looked really good in that marketing plan.

Lusankya

Great job Ubisoft. Subjugating us to German laws as to not bring back memories of being subjugated to German laws. That must have looked really good in that marketing plan.

Dude, has nothing to do with German laws. It's not about the swastikas after all.

spekkeh

Banned
Yes sorry, only just saw they edited out whole scenes even. Jesus Ubisoft what the fuck. Abortion is even much more accepted in Europe than in the US. Surely the Middle-East is an insignificant market for South Park.

Anyone aware of some good deals on the PC version of this game? The cheapest I can find is $47.99 on GetGamesGo which isn't bad, but I'd like to go even lower, maybe even around $35-40.

Anyone aware of some good deals on the PC version of this game? The cheapest I can find is $47.99 on GetGamesGo which isn't bad, but I'd like to go even lower, maybe even around $35-40.
Not sure there are those deals anymore. The cheap steam keys are now region locked as of last week so no one is selling Russian keys for this game now. Best you can hope for is a 25% off code from gmg, they do them fairly regularly, just sign up for their newsletter

Not sure there are those deals anymore. The cheap steam keys are now region locked as of last week so no one is selling Russian keys for this game now. Best you can hope for is a 25% off code from gmg, they do them fairly regularly, just sign up for their newsletter

Yeah, looks like you're right. And scratch the GetGamesGo deal for $47... wouldn't let me check out with a U.S. address, so apparently it's only for those in Europe?

Occam

So the safest way to get the uncensored version is to buy the NA PS3 game, I take it (due to not being region locked)?

spekkeh

Banned
Somebody wants to draft a mail stating in The Sun-like wording how we're dismayed and outraged that Ubisoft would censor their own artists, so that we can start mailbombing the publisher?

Even if the PC version was censored, I'm sure a skilled modder could easily 'fix' it by adding the scenes back again, possibly taken from uncensored versions.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
So i really only watched South Park when it first aired and after the original run (the last episode was the one with the parents killing themselves on the Comedy Central HQ) i dont think ive seen a complete episode. i did see the movie. Anyway.. after watching the short intro videos floating around im going to endeavor to watch as much of the show as i can before the game releases. So far its two down with another 230 or so to go lol

Game looks fantastic btw. im still debating whether or not to preorder the Grand Wizard version.

cluderi

Canceled my pre-order until this mess is sorted out, March is pretty busy anyhow. GJ Ubisoft, you marketed yourself out of a sale.

Lusankya

Ubisoft probably don't even know the German law. Why should there be a problem with the abortions? Isn't this kinda stuff already in the series?
Also how about letting the USK rate the game before you cut it?

Edit: I forgot the most important thing. Even if they did cut it because they wanted to secure a better USK rating. Why would they cut all EMEA versions and not just the German version?

spekkeh

Banned
Not trying to protect german laws, which is my least favourite country in the world and I know what I'm talking about, 'cause I'm an expert and all... But there is no such thing as a german law that has ever managed to censor media in any other european country besides germany.

Nintendo had the problem where their European HQ was situated in Germany, and the eShop had to adhere to Germany's silly laws of only allowing 18+ content to be sold between 11pm and 4am or something. Of course that told us more about Nintendo's immaturity than anything else, but still.

A publisher could determine that it's too much of a hassle to distribute multiple versions around the continent and blanket censor everyone.

Top Bottom