• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park: The Stick of Truth |OT| Bigger, Longer, and Uncut (In select regions)

entremet

Why is this game getting so much hype? I'm pretty wary of licensed games these days. Most suck. But this one has a lot of good buzz. Why?

Almighty

Why is this game getting so much hype? I'm pretty wary of licensed games these days. Most suck. But this one has a lot of good buzz. Why?

Matt and Trey(creators of South Park) actually had a hand in creating this one. Well that and for me it helps that Obsidian made it as well. For most people it is probably the first one.

DukeBobby

1. It's made by Obsidian, and this time they haven't been rushed.

2. Matt and Trey wrote the script.

3. There's plenty of gameplay footage, and it looks awesome.

entremet

Matt and Trey(creators of South Park) actually had a hand in creating this one. Well that and for me it helps that Obsidian made it as well. For most people it is probably the first one.

1. It's made by Obsidian, and this time they haven't been rushed.

2. Matt and Trey wrote the script.

3. There's plenty of gameplay footage, and it looks awesome.

Ah Ok. So it doesn't sound like a cheap cash grab like most licensed stuff.

Matt and Trey are heavily involved with the game unlike older South Park games, Obsidian makes some great RPGs, Paper Mario style combat system, all the shows voice actors involved and it looks just like the show since South Park Studios helped with animations. Those are a few reasons I'm personally hyped for the game. The small amount of gameplay I've seen makes me think they really knocked it out of the park with this one.

Seance

Banned
It makes sense for the console versions to be censored. Kids shouldn't be exposed to naughty things. Glad the PC version is good.

Vibranium

Banned
Heh, I'm so pumped for Stick of Truth, but Derrick getting banned really sucks. Maybe if Shinobi ever requests to come back we can try to get his Yin reinstated.

He was enjoying Harvest Moon A New Beginning and about to start Rune Factory 4... ;_;

Anyways, inject that MattandTreysidian into my veins.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
so whats the word on european PC versions? I havent been following the entire discussion Im sorry.

gtrunner

Banned
Is there a "must see shows" guide to watch to get most of the references in the game ?

kotaku had a top 10 episodes guide, watch them all last night and it was useless. It was just shows that the one person liked and shocker most of them had to do with japan and the 80's.

Ive only seen a handful of episodes of south park. i know the leads and other people like mr. Garrison, Chef and etc.

looking at the game's trailers I don't know who the "gay bikers" are or "the talking poop" is.

rjinaz

It makes sense for the console versions to be censored. Kids shouldn't be exposed to naughty things. Glad the PC version is good.

What? Adults play consoles too. It's an M rated game. If parents were doing their jobs, they wouldn't be exposed to such things.

Is there a "must see shows" guide to watch to get most of the references in the game ?

kotaku had a top 10 episodes guide, watch them all last night and it was useless. It was just shows that the one person liked and shocker most of them had to do with japan and the 80's.

Ive only seen a handful of episodes of south park. i know the leads and other people like mr. Garrison, Chef and etc.

looking at the game's trailers I don't know who the "gay bikers" are or "the talking poop" is.

For Mr. Slave (gay biker) watch "The Death Camp of Tolerance". I believe that was his introduction to the show, though I might be wrong on that one. Great episode that has him putting a gerbil in his ass. For Mr. Hankey (talking poop), watch "Mr. Hankey, the Christmas Poo" for his intro to the series.

Fezzan

Unconfirmed Member

Flawless logic.

I do want to see the Matt and Trey stuff that goes in instead of those scenes though.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
I don't really think its fair to compare derrick that type of poster. Most of the time, Derrick spoke the truth and went against popular opinion. For example, people claiming that Skyrim is the greatest rpg of all time and that Fallout 3 is a deeper more richer rpg than New Vegas. I just think that people didn't like hearing that those games they cherish are to him considered "Baby's First Rpg"

What does shit talking peoples opinions really accomplish as far as discussion goes, honestly? Who cares if someone really likes Skyrim, or thinks F3 is better than NV. Forums function better when there is actual discussion, not just negative posting all the time.

On topic, this is the game I wished for years ago.. back in the early 2000's... yet as it nears it's harder for me to get excited. Also, my after kids go to sleep gaming time these days is near non-existent.. any one know anything as far as how long the game is?

Since the US version is uncensored, can anyone tell me a good place for an Australian to import a game from the US other than Playasia and Amazon?

Ok, Good Times With Weapons is awesome, even though Butters spending all that time with the shuriken in his eye made me a bit uncomfortable. Also, nice twist at the end.

Watching AWESOM-O now.

Necrovex

Ok, Good Times With Weapons is awesome, even though Butters spending all that time with the shuriken in his eye made me a bit uncomfortable. Also, nice twist at the end.

Watching AWESOM-O now.

I have a question about the Awesom-O episode. I recall previews of that episode involved that hamster. That was a gag done by Matt and Trey right? I remember being all excited for that episode, and then I was given Awesom-O, which was an awesome episode.

rjinaz

I have a question about the Awesom-O episode. I recall previews of that episode involved that hamster. That was a gag done by Matt and Trey right? I remember being all excited for that episode, and then I was given Awesom-O, which was an awesome episode.

Awesom-O has nothing to do with a hamster though. There are the two episodes called Pandemic in season 12 that features a live action guinea pig.

Can't say about a gag, I honestly don't know.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
So funny that we lost both our Ying and Yang around the same time. Without one, the other could not exist, so it annihilated itself.

edit: Dammit, that felt OT much. I really want to get this game, but I'm watching the Black Friday episodes first.

Falcs

Banned
I asked this in the other thread already but the thread seems to be dying off now...
Sorry if it's been covered already but I just want to be 100% clear.

Is the Australian PC version also uncut??
And is there any point in me getting somebody from the US to gift the game to me over steam?

erawsd

I asked this in the other thread already but the thread seems to be dying off now...
Sorry if it's been covered already but I just want to be 100% clear.

Is the Australian PC version also uncut??
And is there any point in me getting somebody from the US to gift the game to me over steam?

I can't say for certain, but it seems like it might since the decision to censor came straight from the AU ratings board and not "marketing reasons".

Just preordered the uncensored PS3 version from videogamesplaus.ca. Canadian dollar is at parity at the moment with the aussie dollar so it's cheaper than buying local even with shipping.
Question though, will the Canadian version be pretty much the same as the US version in terms of packaging etc?

NEO0MJ

Just wondering, am I the only person who can;t find the game on steam? I wonder if the game is blocked from my region's store.

Edit: did a bit of digging, and yes I was right. If I buy it from say GMG or Amazon will it still work or are codes region locked?

Dub117

When does the embargo for reviews lift? I'm getting the game regardless. Hell I was getting it two fucking years ago.

Darksol

Just preordered the uncensored PS3 version from videogamesplaus.ca. Canadian dollar is at parity at the moment with the aussie dollar so it's cheaper than buying local even with shipping.
Question though, will the Canadian version be pretty much the same as the US version in terms of packaging etc?

Identical game, mostly similar packaging. You will however, see French too.

1337Sauce

Just pre-ordered the Grand Wizard Edition from Futureshop for $45. Why is this game going down so fast before launch? I mean in the last week the collector's edition has dropped 40 dollars. Kind of weirding me out LOL

Either way, I'm happy with the price I'm paying haha

The front cover should be the same but the back cover with the info will have English and French. Also if it comes with a manual, it will probably have 2 versions of that. Really not much different at all to me.

Edit: beat

Milennia

Just pre-ordered the Grand Wizard Edition from Futureshop for $45. Why is this game going down so fast before launch? I mean in the last week the collector's edition has dropped 40 dollars. Kind of weirding me out LOL

Either way, I'm happy with the price I'm paying haha

Its just Canada thats getting the crazy deals on the wizard edition it seems.

South-Park-WoW-Guy.jpg

Top Bottom