• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park: The Stick of Truth |OT| Bigger, Longer, and Uncut (In select regions)

Durante

Talking about GotY, for me there have already been 3 games this year that would have easily been contenders for the title in 2013. (M&M X, Shadowrun: Dragonfall and now this) And the year is just getting started.

I wasn't even motivated enough to post a list last year in the GotY thread, what a nice change of pace this is!

Nabs

Talking about GotY, for me there have already been 3 games this year that would have easily been contenders for the title in 2013. (M&M X, Shadowrun: Dragonfall and now this) And the year is just getting started.

I wasn't even motivated enough to post a list last year in the GotY thread, what a nice change of pace this is!

This year is looking gooood.

Many things are said before Dark Souls 2 comes out.

Hey, I'm trying to forget about that game until they stops being dicks about it.

The last half of this game is absolutely insane. I can't believe the stuff they throw at you.

Almighty

It's nice that Dragonfall is getting such good impressions. Now that South Park is out of the way and I am almost done with RE4 that is the next game on my list.

As for GOTY talk I think unless it is delayed Pillars of Eternity will be the game to beat this year. For at least my personal GOTY if nothing else.

Recall

Playing the digital PSN version and every time I leave a building either the framerate drops tremendously or its stuttering as its loading but god damn it is doing it so frequently.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
is there a better status attack combo than bleed and gross out? im rolling dudes now, but anything to help would be appreciated

ZeroX03

Banned
Put 2-3 hours into it. So far it's okay, I suppose. Gameplay is good but easy, doesn't feel as sharp or responsive as the Mario & Luigi games. Like if you change your weapon you can't select an enemy to attack until after the animation change. Animations in general run a bit too long.

I guess my biggest issue is I just haven't laughed, and the game's actual narrative isn't very compelling.

WasMachinator

Neo Member
Put 2-3 hours into it. So far it's okay, I suppose. Gameplay is good but easy, doesn't feel as sharp or responsive as the Mario & Luigi games. Like if you change your weapon you can't select an enemy to attack until after the animation change. Animations in general run a bit too long.

I guess my biggest issue is I just haven't laughed, and the game's actual narrative isn't very compelling.

I find it more in style with the general clunky ness of southparks animation.
And well if the jokes dont resonate with you then the game is quite quickly a lot less fun I fear.

But so far I am loving it, it's such great fun in my opinion!

Dr.Acula

Banned
I know they censored the Nazi stuff for Germany but (spoiler for end of the 2nd day)
it really seems like it's a pretty big part of the plot. Nazi zombies, and the Nazi zombie cat army.

And then the German version got delayed because they accidentally mastered the US disc.

Matt and Trey are trolling the Germans so hard, they must know how strict the video game laws there are.

Moff

Am I the only one that really sucks at the QTE style combat? Ugh. Using potions in every battle so far.

it definitely takes some practice
and the game is heavily potion based, dont worry about it, thats why you can alway use a potion AND an action, the potion limit is also fairly low, you are supposed to use a lot of tem.

ekim

I know they censored the Nazi stuff for Germany but (spoiler for end of the 2nd day)
it really seems like it's a pretty big part of the plot. Nazi zombies, and the Nazi zombie cat army.

And then the German version got delayed because they accidentally mastered the US disc.

Matt and Trey are trolling the Germans so hard, they must know how strict the video game laws there are.

I think they just replaced the swastikas with something else and did not cut the whole scene/chapter.

-MD-

So I just got to
Canada
and that has to be some of the funniest shit ever. For those who have beaten the game, how much longer do I have left?

3ish hours.

I just finished the game myself, playthrough clocked in at about 18 hours for everything.

Mask

After Lulzwagon confirmed the US digital version was uncensored last night, I was all ready to play this GOAT.

Didn't realize my US psn wallet didn't have as much as I thought it did, so I got another $10 code. They emailed me a few hours later, no codes until a few days time, so I went and got
ANOTHER one from a different seller, and now I'm playing the waiting game..

Played my buddy's uncensored steam copy a bit more while I was over there last night. Oh man, the junk you can find is a cornucopia of references. All the Dildos in Cartman's moms drawers, the Antonio Banderas love doll, the Fatty Doo Doo dvd.

Do yourself a favor. Look in Cartmans closet.

Sranger

Banned
Just beat the game.

Does anyone know what you get for collecting all chinpokemon , or making friends with everyone?

Any completionist-like rewards?

ekim

So anyone knows if the USK/PEGI versions are completely uncut or not? My copy just arrived.

This is how the censored swastikas look like...
kQbqqbW.jpg

I really hope it IS uncut.

SeanR1221

For the life of me I can't block every single attack in a battle for that stupid trophy. There's always one that slips through.

saunderez

I think we've almost nutted out the uncensor patch for PC. In its current iteration you can play through the censored gameplay but it blanks out (presumably on movies) and crashes after a mini game. I've identified the missing files and will be getting my tester to give it another shot.

erawsd

Yes. 117 friends and trying to mop up the last ones. Walking up to his house gives me a "Jimmy's house key required" prompt, so I was wondering where it was.

Ahh..

Maybe his house is repair after the game? I know during the game it you never needed one since the front door was blown up.

Eusis

Its not that i dont understand why its censored.
Its the fact that its
stans dad in relation to south park
I would think the M rating and description on top of how popular the show is would be enough, but clearly thats not the case, or at least ubisoft themselves dont think it is.
Technically, it was... Just that PEGI 18 apparently wasn't enough on consoles for some odd reasons. Perhaps they really wanted to try to keep the uncensored version out of Germany/Austria and so decided all console copies had to suffer for them, whereas PC they can go "eh, Steam region locks activations."
Even comparing those two is so strange. They couldn't be any more different from each other.
When we're trying to say GotY you can freely compare Uncharted 2, Demon's Souls, and Angry Birds. Though even when dividing into categories if we're just talking RPG of the year they can technically be pitted against each other, both being RPGs. Apples and oranges really is a fitting analogy for a situation like this.

Marathoned and cleared it. Definitely one of the better put together RPGs from Obsidian thus far, though I guess it really would have been stretched out too thin at even 30 hours.

For the life of me I can't block every single attack in a battle for that stupid trophie. There's always one that slips through.
Don't stress it, dude. It'll come naturally at some point in the game.
Ahh..

Maybe his house is repair after the game? I know during the game it you never needed one since the front door was blown up.
Oh right!
I forgot his house was the Giggling Donkey or whatever. Since it says the key is required I'm going to assume it's to be found somewhere in post-game...
Thanks!

Is it just me or is the arrow on the map which points to you kinda not accurate?

I was trying to get to Craigs house but I swear the arrow was wrong where I was at.

Well looks like Germany and Austria have to wait again to play it. Friend of mine wanted to buy it today but it wasn't available. Would have been nice to play it together

The friends list status while playing this is amazing. I don't even have the game (yet) and it's already made me laugh. "Farting around in South Park", lol.

Eusis

is this game not easy or do i just suck at it?
What difficulty? And RPG experience (or willingness to burn through items) can make all the difference, it's not really worth hoarding items in this game, especially as they don't eat up a full turn in and of themselves.

What difficulty? And RPG experience (or willingness to burn through items) can make all the difference, it's not really worth hoarding items in this game, especially as they don't eat up a full turn in and of themselves.

Yeah I slowly realized this playing, I'm just so used to hoard all my items as much as I can in rpgs.

DSmalls84

So far loving this game. They really nailed the feel of the show. Just a few problems so far on the pc for me. Your character constantly flickers in and out of cutscenes, 1 crash to desktop and during the tutorial the scripting broke and I had to restart.

-MD-

I'm playing the PC version too. I can not get blocking right. It took me forever to get past the tutorial because of it. The indicator doesn't really seem to help me at all.

It takes some practice for sure, it helps to watch the animation so you know when it's coming too.

Don't just stare at your feet waiting for the icon.

That was what they censored it over, really?

It was so tame.

Yeah, pretty silly to censor that.

erawsd

Finished it. I wouldn't call it a great RPG but its def one of the most refreshing and just plain fun games I've played in years. The writing and scenario design are particularly amazing. Not once in the 16hrs I played did I feel any tedium, which is a rare quality in modern games.

My two major gripes:

1. Combat was fun but I thought the PC became too powerful way too fast. Maybe its just the Mage but even on hardcore my spells would devastate everything. I actually "nerfed" him a bit by removing mods.

2. A lack of
Mr. Garrison!
Its criminal how little screen time he got.

Absolutely worth $60 and I'm crossing my fingers for some story DLC. I'd also love to see PC modders dig in and see if any of the cut content is hiding in the game files.

Top Bottom