• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park: The Stick of Truth |OT| Bigger, Longer, and Uncut (In select regions)

Dario ff

Banned
They seem completely off, and I'm playing it on PC as well. They tell you to hit the button to block as the block oval appears, but you have to actually hit it on most attacks a split second during their attack animation, before the oval appears or it won't block. if you wait to block when the oval appears, it seems like you have less than a third a second to hit the button, and usually that's still too short. Honestly, there's a delay. Because I can hold down the button as they are attacking, right before you're actually supposed to block and it will block.
I have to say the oval is a pretty bad idea anyway for blocking, and I'm not sure why they didn't go with how Paper Mario did it. Watching the oval does lead to quick blocking sometimes, but then you can't watch how cool their attack animations are! In Paper Mario they played around with this as well because enemies would try to fake you with their attack animations.

I finished the game last night and I fell exhausted from all the action and laughs during the last 3 hours of the game. I've finished most of the side content this morning apart from one particular quest, but I think I'll write my thoughts on this game later. I really liked it overall, but some decisions about the combat really bug me (doesn't help that my mage was pretty much broken on my first hardcore playthrough).

Dario ff

Banned
Broken how? I played a thief and I'm wondering what to choose for my 2nd playthrough.
2 PP Restore for Fire Attack + SWAT Helmet that gives an extra attack if an enemy dies + More fire themed patches + Max Ability Upgrade on Dragon's Breath + Any fire-related perks.

Dragon's Breath hits for like 5-6 times and then a strong hit, and every hit counts for restoring your PP. You get this patch very early in the game as well, so it makes spamming that ability a viable strategy. It's basically free.

Once you get the helmet, it just goes into super easy mode. On most group of enemies there's bound to be something that dies to a single Dragon's Breath, so you'll normally go for those enemies first. If they'd die in 2 turns instead, just use a speed potion. Once you get into the groove you've killed the entire enemy group in the first turn due to having infinite PP and attacks as long as you keep killing someone each turn. In case something didn't die, Dragon's Breath melts a lot of their armor and leaves them with a burning status, so even if they don't die to your buddy, they'll likely die once their turn ends. As far as I know there's nothing immune on the game to burning.

I ended up hitting the level cap before the end of day 2 lol. It just makes most of the game's enemy mechanics a bit useless... it doesn't give a crap about the enemy stance (Riposting or Reflecting are useless against it), and it will destroy shields like nothing due to each hit counting as one shield part. A lot of enemies seem to be weak to fire as well.

quest

Not Banned from OT
I woke up to a lovely email from amazon saying shipment delayed to weather. I am pissed woke up after 3.5 hours sleep to wait on the UPS guy so I could play some this morning. To tired to sleep now!!

erawsd

2 PP Restore for Fire Attack + SWAT Helmet that gives an extra attack if an enemy dies + More fire themed patches + Max Ability Upgrade on Dragon's Breath + Any fire-related perks.

Dragon's Breath hits for like 5-6 times and then a strong hit, and every hit counts for restoring your PP. You get this patch very early in the game as well, so it makes spamming that ability a viable strategy. It's basically free.

Once you get the helmet, it just goes into super easy mode. On most group of enemies there's bound to be something that dies to a single Dragon's Breath, so you'll normally go for those enemies first. If they'd die in 2 turns instead, just use a speed potion. Once you get into the groove you've killed the entire enemy group in the first turn due to having infinite PP and attacks as long as you keep killing someone each turn. In case something didn't die, Dragon's Breath melts a lot of their armor and leaves them with a burning status, so even if they don't die to your buddy, they'll likely die once their turn ends. As far as I know there's nothing immune on the game to burning.

I ended up hitting the level cap before the end of day 2 lol. It just makes most of the game's enemy mechanics a bit useless... it doesn't give a crap about the enemy stance (Riposting or Reflecting are useless against it), and it will destroy shields like nothing due to each hit counting as one shield part. A lot of enemies seem to be weak to fire as well.

Yep, thats exactly my experience with Mage... Dragon's Breath is just ridiculous. As I mentioned earlier, I ended up handicapping my character just to create a challenge. I feel like I missed out on some pretty cool enemy/boss attacks because of how quickly I could kill them all.

I'd love to see a patch or even a player mod that rebalances the Hardcore difficulty so that its actually hardcore. Status effects in general seem far too potent and last too many rounds.

Dario ff

Banned
I'd love to see a patch or even a player mod that rebalances the Hardcore difficulty so that its actually hardcore. Status effects in general seem far too potent and last too many rounds.
I extracted the files and it seems all of the tables are binary files sadly, no easily editable text files. They might not be that hard to crack, but I have a feeling some of this stuff might've been figured out since Dungeon Siege 3. They seem to share a lot of the same formats. What I'd love to be done to rebalance the game is to make all the stat numbers a whole magnitude lower so it's easier to follow how useful stat upgrades can be, and that old gear doesn't become useless in just a level or two. That and damage debuffs need a big nerf. :p I don't think I can afford the time to try a big task like that tho.

Sanctuary

By end game, you can literally cast Pryo every single turn, especially if you
use Butters to heal you.
The only reason to cast Dragon ever again is for healing.

It got really boring doing nothing but using that again and again. Ironically, I'm finding the Thief to be less boken, yet easier at the same time.

erawsd

I extracted the files and it seems all of the tables are binary files sadly, no easily editable text files. They might not be that hard to crack, but I have a feeling some of this stuff might've been figured out since Dungeon Siege 3. They seem to share a lot of the same formats. What I'd love to be done to rebalance the game is to make all the stat numbers a whole magnitude lower so it's easier to follow how useful stat upgrades can be, and that old gear doesn't become useless in just a level or two. That and damage debuffs need a big nerf. :p

I could swear Obsidian said this was a modified Dungeon Siege engine, so that would make sense.

Fuz

Banned
Seen it at a friend's place...
Keybinds not customizable. There aren't many things that piss me off like not being able to redefine keys.
Good thing I didn't buy it.

-MD-

What are the chances we get a sequel to this? This game is the best licensed game I have ever played.

Like 0.001% chance. I think if Trey and Matt do another game it won't be South Park related, they seem totally burned out on this game but now they have experience with making a game.

I'd be there day 1 if they did make a sequel though, I loved this game.

Dub117

I'm stuck on a quest.

Its the manbearpig, I put the 3 markers up, but when I go into the sewer area, I can't seem to get across the gap. Help?
You may need to play the main quest a little longer. Don't want to spoil anything, but you most likely need to be on day 2.

-MD-

How do I grab that Chinpokomon inside the grate in that random office building downtown?

An ability you unlock much later in the game.

Seen it at a friend's place...
Keybinds not customizable. There aren't many things that piss me off like not being able to redefine keys.
Good thing I didn't buy it.

That's an unfortunate problem to have. Shame you're missing out on such an awesome game.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I'm really glad they locked the framerate to make it look choppy like the show, but moving fast through town looks kind of harsh. Is that a vsync/triple buffering issue that d3do can fix?

iammeiam

Really enjoying this. On Day 3, I think, and won't be able to get back to it until next week as I'm traveling this weekend, but really enjoyed the parts I've played so far. No big tech issues on the 360 so far, aside from the game occasionally reading the controller bizarrely when exiting out of dialogue/cutscenes (I'll be holding the stick to walk right, the character will head up for some reason.)

Mage is pretty easymode; playing on hardcore, without most of the overpowered upgrades attached, and the first battle to give me trouble in a long time was
Al Gore--it took a few tries and careful buddy selection. Manbearpig was, in comparison, cake.

I'm assuming I'm getting close to the final third or so of the game, and so far I'm coming down on the side of not minding the shorter length. It's a good game, but I don't think it could sustain a standard-length RPG experience without losing a bit of its shine. It also makes a replay feasible for me, as it's something that could essentially be knocked out on a sick day or something.

So seeing that a lot of the cut screenshots come from at night with goth kids, creepy castle, and cemetary, I'm wondering if this was part of recruiting the goth kids originally, and then cut due to time, etc. Since the game has you doing various things for different recruits. I'm crossing fingers for DLC though. I want more!

Darksol

Finished the game last night. Missed one goddamn chinpokomon, and go figure it was one of the few that you can only get during specific missions.

So yeah, doing a second playthrough now to get the few remaining trophies I missed. I'm not normally a trophy hunter (I think the only game I've bothered to platinum was Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward) but I'm not ready to leave South Park yet ^-^

So nobody else misses the chinpokomon...all are available to find at pretty much any time (barring a couple that you need additional powers unlocked through story quests to reach), but the following can only be found during specific missions:

Roidrat - The Bard
Beetlebot - Alien Abduction (The bastard I missed!)
Gunrilla - Gain New Allies
Fetuswami - Forging Alliances
Pterdaken - Attack the School
Shoe - Beat Up Clyde

Darksol

So is this game buggy like some reviews said? Wanted to get the PS3 version but then I heard there were issues.

Some people claim the occasional glitch, and the framerate can get occasionally wonky when auto-save kicks in and you're running, but nothing that really impacts the awesomeness of this game.

erawsd

I'm assuming I'm getting close to the final third or so of the game, and so far I'm coming down on the side of not minding the shorter length. It's a good game, but I don't think it could sustain a standard-length RPG experience without losing a bit of its shine. It also makes a replay feasible for me, as it's something that could essentially be knocked out on a sick day or something.

You know, I suspect if we had never heard about its length ahead of time, I think there would be a lot less complaining about it.

Other than one instance where it felt rushed, I thought the game was almost perfectly paced. They could easily have added a ton more forced encounters to each "dungeon" but I'm not sure that would have made it a better game.

erawsd

So seeing that a lot of the cut screenshots come from at night with goth kids, creepy castle, and cemetary, I'm wondering if this was part of recruiting the goth kids originally, and then cut due to time, etc. Since the game has you doing various things for different recruits. I'm crossing fingers for DLC though. I want more!

That would make total sense because (Day 2 Spoilers)
The goth quest was, IMO the lowest point of the game. Other than the dance, it was just a big fetch quest that awkwardly leads you to the PTC where Randy steals the show.

Another part I think was cut (End game Spoilers):
Initially, the government was placing the bombs under the city. I'm willing to bet that that would have led us to the Crab people we saw early on. The way Mr. Slave/Randy suddenly shows up in Clyde's tower felt a little too abrupt.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I can't consistently pull off anything other than a melee power attack. I don't understand the farting stuff at all.

you hold down on the right stick, then move the left stick in direction that matches the fart (each of the 4 farts is tied to a direction). It's basically a lockpicking minigame if you've played any RPG with those in the past 10 years.

God this game gets worse
I hate canada
Does every game need a
2-D SNES
reference now? This is getting annoying

Everyone else has said the complete opposite. I haven't actually made it there yet, but I look forward to it! I've just been taking my time and soaking up the atmosphere, farting on everyone and everything. I think I'll be a big hit when I go to Canada.

Darksol

Question about the
Truth to Power
trophy. It says to
fart on four major authority figures
but who are they? I'm pretty sure I
farted on most of the parents
and I assume all that leaves is people like
Jesus, Santa, the Mayor, the Principal, the Cop, etc.
is that correct?

Anyone know for sure who these
four authority figures
are?

Question for those who're far into the game (or at least have finished Jimbo's hunting sidequest.)

How do you get past the Canadian border guard? I need to kill that poutine loving beast that lies beyond his post. I've tried shooting at him, and all sorts of other things but he just keeps on taunting me. I've got the Pal Ability, Teleport and Shoot commands at this point.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Everyone else has said the complete opposite. I haven't actually made it there yet, but I look forward to it! I've just been taking my time and soaking up the atmosphere, farting on everyone and everything. I think I'll be a big hit when I go to Canada.

The fart reactions are great. The kid in the ticket booth at the theater was particularly funny.

erawsd

Question for those who're far into the game (or at least have finished Jimbo's hunting sidequest.)

How do you get past the Canadian border guard? I need to kill that poutine loving beast that lies beyond his post. I've tried shooting at him, and all sorts of other things but he just keeps on taunting me.

The story eventually leads you there.

Darksol

How do you get past the Canadian border guard? I need to kill that poutine loving beast that lies beyond his post. I've tried shooting at him, and all sorts of other things but he just keeps on taunting me.

You need to advance the story quest more. Eventually you get a passport which allows access into Canada, and it's in Canada where you'll find that hunt.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

How do you get past the Canadian border guard? I need to kill that poutine loving beast that lies beyond his post. I've tried shooting at him, and all sorts of other things but he just keeps on taunting me. I've got the Pal Ability, Teleport and Shoot commands at this point.

Getting into Canada is part of the story, you can't get in before then.

Permanently A

How do I get past the glowing green cracked rock in the
Canadian cave?

It seems like a regular hit should do it in, but it isn't working.

Top Bottom