• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park: The Stick of Truth |OT| Bigger, Longer, and Uncut (In select regions)

Ferrio

Banned
Does the game have crafting? I've only played for a couple hours and spent most of it raiding every drawer I can open. I have a pile of random crap and I'm not sure if it's all there just to sell or if it can be used to make something later.

Nope. Junk is junk. Though there's an achievement for selling it and an achievement for not selling it... so either way you're going to miss something.. might as well sell.

I'm a couple of hours in and I want to know this (spoiler tags maybe?) before continuing.
Can I do side quests at any time? Do they disappear after the first day for example or can I do them for my entire tenure?

Vamphuntr

Beat it. I still stand by my opinion that it's an amazing South Park game but a fairly lackluster RPG.

I had fun exploring the town and to find all of the references and cameos. Junk items were really fun to find since they are all references to episodes of the show. I loved how they had stuff relating even to the early seasons of the show. That's dedication for the fans. The small puzzles to avoid battles and defeat enemies without fighting were clever and interesting.

The game is more or less like watching an 8 hours long South Park episode if you cut all the filler and that's a good thing for me. I was afraid about the length of the game at first but after beating it in about 14 hours I think that's a good length for the game after all. At that point I felt really bored about the gameplay anyway so I was glad it came to an end.

Gameplay wise the game was so easy that I breezed my way through everything using the same strategy from the beginning to the end. The fact you can use an healing item before attacking is kind of game breaking. With the mage there is badge that gives you PP for each fire attack you do and if you use the Dragon breath it gives you PP for each strike during the mashing sequence. Infinite PP! Fully upgraded it also melt armor so it made the game a piece of cake. They tried adding a bunch of mechanics to give an illusion of depth but you can bypass every stances or whatnot by using skills or magic. I guess they had a balancing problem at some point and used the healing item each round thing as a solution. Healing items are in abundance everywhere and my stock was always filled with the max for each type so there was no challenge on normal difficulty.

If we removed the South Park license from the game I don't think the resulting game would be a good RPG at all. But if you're a South Park fan this is an amazing game.

Fezzan

Unconfirmed Member
So shitty! What were some of the censored scenes you got?
I'm assuming the entire gnomes underpants mission was most likely removed entirely.

I haven't gotten that far yet.

The part that was censored was the alien probe bit, must have been like 4 or 5 censored scenes

krae_man

Nope. Junk is junk. Though there's an achievement for selling it and an achievement for not selling it... so either way you're going to miss something.. might as well sell.

Ah cool. I thought it was just for selling but I haven't run into anything I didn't have enough money for yet so I figured better safe then sorry. I screwed my self over pretty good in Jeanne Darc selling crap loads of Lunar spirits before I realized weapons had sockets and that frog dude could fuse gems:lol

Ferrio

Banned
Ah cool. I thought it was just for selling but I haven't run into anything I didn't have enough money for yet so I figured better safe then sorry. I screwed my self over pretty good in Jeanne Darc selling crap loads of Lunar spirits before I realized weapons had sockets and that frog dude could fuse gems:lol

Really the main function of junk is another outlet for them to include references to the show, the money is an afterthought.

abundant

Bummer, thought there was four, and I am? I only have 8 hours on my time, and I thought i was going slow, doing every quest.

If you've been doing everything so far and you don't encounter any though battles, then you have roughly about three to four hours left.

DedValve

Banned
This game is way to easy, bleeding is so OP.

Throw a few knives, barely do any damage (sometimes I do 1 damage against enemies that resist me), wait their turn to attack and boom, dead.

I was thinking of incorporating chill into my moves but it wouldn't matter since bleeding would finish the fight except for the bosses.

TheGamer

Although I pre-ordered the Collector's Edition, Best Buy shipped it out three days before Tuesday and I received it yesterday afternoon. From hearing and reading about how great the game was and how it catered to the fans of the series, my hype was through the roof. I popped in the disc and played a good five to six hours of the game. I absolutely love this game. I have enjoyed the references throughout the game and finding some of the collectibles. The trophies are hilarious in this game and I expect it will be fun farting on a hundred people.

krae_man

Really the main function of junk is another outlet for them to include references to the show, the money is an afterthought.

Yeah I've noticed that. But there's tons of stuff like random hunks of metal, sticks, glass, toothpaste etc I though would be used for make believe crafting.

Side note, I've been leaving every shower turned on when I go into a bathroom and it's still on when I go back. I'm hoping for a payoff.

Does anyone know how to knock people out by farting in the open world? I'm trying to do this because
there's a trophy for knocking 3 people out at once using a fart

I feel like it's too easy to break the game. I have a patch that leeches health with each hit, I get health every turn for using a 2-handed weapon, and I get health every turn just because. Then I have equipment that amplifies all incoming healing. I can't die because I regen practically all of my health every turn.

Abounder

Banned
Finished the main story and in my opinion this is one of the best gaming experiences around if you're a South Park fan. But the button mashing, controls, and watching attack cutscenes did get old. I wonder how much shorter the game would be if the attacks were instant instead of having to watch an animation.

Andrew.

Banned
Okay... holy difficulty spike, how do you beat

Al Gore? My biggest problem is I can't seem to do a single bit of damage to the secret service agents he summons.

Speed potions are your friend. Use Weight Gain 4000 at the start for you and your partner, followed by an attack that can bleed or set fire.

Follow then by using Speed Potions every turn. Take out the agents first (blondie is the toughest) and then focus on
Al
. He could very well die while fighting the agents as long as he is bleeding or set aflame.

Mondy

Banned
This game is way to easy, bleeding is so OP.

Throw a few knives, barely do any damage (sometimes I do 1 damage against enemies that resist me), wait their turn to attack and boom, dead.

I was thinking of incorporating chill into my moves but it wouldn't matter since bleeding would finish the fight except for the bosses.

Bleed can make short work of bosses too if you stack it enough. I do agree that even on Hardcore, the game is very easy.

Rafterman

Banned
Beat it. I still stand by my opinion that it's an amazing South Park game but a fairly lackluster RPG.

Truth.

It's definitely hilarious, and a treat for any South Park fan, but IP aside it's a weak RPG. Seems like a waste of Obsidian's talent and I hope they don't spent the next few years making a sequel.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
Side note, I've been leaving every shower turned on when I go into a bathroom and it's still on when I go back. I'm hoping for a payoff.

I do this in every game lol. Wet Bandit. I hadn't realized that they stay on. I also pooped in all the urinals I found and that one toilet in a garage :p

Andrew.

Banned
Pushing 15 hours and Im in the middle of Day 2. Pretty sure all Chinpokomon and Friends have been accounted for so far. All sidequests completed so far too.
ManBearPig was surprisingly easy, especially compared to Al & Co. Once again, fire and bleeding make short work of him.

Question about the Lost Forest:

Is there really anything of value in there or is it just swarming with
Nazi zombies?

Dub117

Pushing 15 hours and Im in the middle of Day 2. Pretty sure all Chinpokomon and Friends have been accounted for so far. All sidequests completed so far too.
ManBearPig was surprisingly easy, especially compared to Al & Co. Once again, fire and bleeding make short work of him.

Nazi zombies?
Have the same question about the lost forest, and also
I've beaten al gore but I don't know where to fight manbearpig?

Vamphuntr

Nazi zombies?

There are two things there. One is the way to access Canada. The other is a bunch of facebook friend. The path to use for the friends is written in a note in Stan's bedroom.

Andrew.

Banned
Have the same question about the lost forest, and also
I've beaten al gore but I don't know where to fight manbearpig?

You can find ManBearPig at the church hiding behind a tree. He's pretty easy to spot

There are two things there. One is the way to access Canada. The other is a bunch of facebook friend. The path to use for the friends is written in a note in Stan's bedroom.

Thanks dude! I know exactly what you're talking about and was wondering what it meant. Awesome!

madmackem

How far am i, just finished day one and the thing that happens at night? loving this game played it all day today put hours into it so far and dont feel to far on.

This game is far too easy. With the right gear on my Thief, I can now use effectively unlimited abilities over and over (because they drain health, and healing gives me PP).

I chained Execute to kill four guys in one turn, just to see if it worked.

I need help. For some reason my summons aren't recharging:

I finished the first day, crashed the UFO and everything. But when I started exploring the next morning, neither Jesus nor the Chinese restaurant guy were available to summon. Is this a bug?

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
I need help for some. For some reason my summons aren't recharging:

I finished the first day, crashed the UFO and everything. But when I started exploring the next morning, neither Jesus nor the Chinese restaurant guy were available to summon. Is this a bug?

You need to see them again.

Andrew.

Banned
I need help for some. For some reason my summons aren't recharging:

Nope. You have to go talk to them in order for them to re-up.

Edit: beat!

I encountered a strange graphical bug later on the game.

When you meet the Underpants Gnomes, and head out of the wall section and into your parents bedroom's table whilst they're shagging their brains out, the screen becomes all wierd and shit, showing only the bed sans your parents. You can't even see where your character is and the perspective looks strange. The background should've been a rather graphic image of your parents fucking.

I had to change the resolution to 720p and change it back to 1080p to correct the image anomaly. It was a one time thing, else I would've taken a screenshot to demonstrate the issue.
Just wondering if anyone else encountered the bug on PC.

On an unrelated note, holy crap do you hit the level cap (15) really quickly if you really explore in the game and fight every encounter.

No Love

Banned
Decided to play as a Jew on Hardcore since I've read that Mage and Thief are broken and make the game way too easy.

The game really is too easy and needs a patch/fan mod to bump up enemy HP and damage. At first it was challenging because I didn't know you can abuse potions etc. Speed potions especially need to be ignored/disabled... way too cheap.

I'd love a difficulty rebalancing mod that makes the game far more challenging and tactical. Hopefully someone mods it to do just that.

rjinaz

Decided to play as a Jew on Hardcore since I've read that Mage and Thief are broken and make the game way too easy.

The game really is too easy and needs a patch/fan mod to bump up enemy HP and damage. At first it was challenging because I didn't know you can abuse potions etc. Speed potions especially need to be ignored/disabled... way too cheap.

I'd love a difficulty rebalancing mod that makes the game far more challenging and tactical. Hopefully someone mods it to do just that.

I recommend playing as a warrior. It seems to be just the right amount of challenge and doesn't really have any game breaking multi-hit attacks as far as I can tell.

If you care enough to mod a game to make it more difficult, why don't you just set your own rules? Hard mode, weak equipment, no items etc

This must be true because I did my first play through (almost done it) as a fighter and I found the game to be challenging at times on normal. I was wondering why I kept hearing people say that the game was too easy, and realized that they were mostly from Mages. I have to use items a lot as a fighter, the speed potion specifically comes in handy a lot.

GuessWho

what makes a mage or thief better then a fighter or jew? Besides abilities I don't even know there are differentiating stats.

jrcbandit

what makes a mage or thief better then a fighter or jew? Besides abilities I don't even know there are differentiating stats.
The abuse of abilities that are multi hit. The first mage skill is a fire multi hit attack (many multiple hits against a single opponent and can be upgraded to hit above and below). Combine it with PP on fire damage, plus health on attack, and the helm that gives an extra attack when enemy killed. Now the game is broken, you have unlimited mana and health.

Fezzan

Unconfirmed Member
So about the Al Gore quest

How the hell do I beat him, they all just headshot me and I bleed to death.

Andrew.

Banned

Reposting from previous page. I just beat him last night.

Speed potions are your friend. Use Weight Gain 4000 at the start for you and your partner, followed by an attack that can bleed or set fire.

Follow then by using Speed Potions every turn. Take out the agents first (blondie is the toughest) and then focus on Al . He could very well die while fighting the agents as long as he is bleeding or set aflame

A lot of the attacks you get as a fighter only deal damage to one enemy at a time. I think mages & thieves have attacks that deal deal damage to all the enemies at once.

As a fighter I've resorted to using
Butters' Professor Chaos
move to sort of deal damage to the whole opposing side.

I used Butters and his Professor Chaos attack. Pair that with speed potions and you'll beat them.

Nakazato

Block Global Warming. Use Butters Pr.Chaos. Buy Coffee for Double attacks. Make sure you bleed him as well it helps a hell of a lot

misho8723

Banned

I had fun exploring the town and to find all of the references and cameos. Junk items were really fun to find since they are all references to episodes of the show. I loved how they had stuff relating even to the early seasons of the show. That's dedication for the fans. The small puzzles to avoid battles and defeat enemies without fighting were clever and interesting.

The game is more or less like watching an 8 hours long South Park episode if you cut all the filler and that's a good thing for me. I was afraid about the length of the game at first but after beating it in about 14 hours I think that's a good length for the game after all. At that point I felt really bored about the gameplay anyway so I was glad it came to an end.

Gameplay wise the game was so easy that I breezed my way through everything using the same strategy from the beginning to the end. The fact you can use an healing item before attacking is kind of game breaking. With the mage there is badge that gives you PP for each fire attack you do and if you use the Dragon breath it gives you PP for each strike during the mashing sequence. Infinite PP! Fully upgraded it also melt armor so it made the game a piece of cake. They tried adding a bunch of mechanics to give an illusion of depth but you can bypass every stances or whatnot by using skills or magic. I guess they had a balancing problem at some point and used the healing item each round thing as a solution. Healing items are in abundance everywhere and my stock was always filled with the max for each type so there was no challenge on normal difficulty.

If we removed the South Park license from the game I don't think the resulting game would be a good RPG at all. But if you're a South Park fan this is an amazing game.

I'm not a fan of the show (but i don't hate it or something), and i have a blast with this game.. highly addictive.. funny, gross, but mainly entertaining.. playing the PC version, no bugs whatsoever, no slowdowns, no fps drops and plays great with M+K.. so far the best game of this year.. i just love Obsidian games (i didn't played Dungeon Siege III).. far better games than from Bedhesda or Bioware, for me that is.. yeah, it's more than easy, to say the least even on Hardcore, but i don't mind.. i have fun with it, more than any other game released in this year, and that's the only thing that matters

Ryne

This must be true because I did my first play through (almost done it) as a fighter and I found the game to be challenging at times on normal. I was wondering why I kept hearing people say that the game was too easy, and realized that they were mostly from Mages. I have to use items a lot as a fighter, the speed potion specifically comes in handy a lot.

I also went through the game as a fighter and had some challanging spots. I only really used healing potions though, never tried the other stuff.

The abuse of abilities that are multi hit. The first mage skill is a fire multi hit attack (many multiple hits against a single opponent and can be upgraded to hit above and below). Combine it with PP on fire damage, plus health on attack, and the helm that gives an extra attack when enemy killed. Now the game is broken, you have unlimited mana and health.
Yeah, this is pretty much what I'm doing with the Thief and Execute.

Top Bottom