• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park: The Stick of Truth |OT| Bigger, Longer, and Uncut (In select regions)

Just finished it up. Wow. I wish every licensed property had this much attention to detail. Immediately I was elated finding things like Token's bass guitar and sunscreen on the Gingers. That was just the tip. I thought the combat was so well done and provided plenty of opportunity to explore different options. The story felt like a three-part episode in the best way. I'm pissed because I missed getting Clyde as a friend at the beginning and missed the trophy by one friend. Definitely doubling back for the platinum. This game was and is incredible.

Mafia Films

Neo Member
Was just under 10 hours..doing some side missions but then trying to speed through it since I rented it..damn thing froze up after being clyde in his fort.

Beat him...said loading....black screen..could move around...nothing. Then rebooted tried to load game..just stuck at loading screen...

Close enough to the end..just going to take it back tmrw/tday

Xbox 360 version.

Vhalyar

This is out now in Europe, right? Steam still tells me that pre-loading is finished and it'll be available for play when the game launches.... which was yesterday?
More specifically Germany.

Just finished the game a little bit ago. Enjoyed the hell out of it. They referenced almost everything in some form or another and I loved that they tried to fill the game with as much meaningful content as possible. I never really felt as though the game dragged on or had filler stuffed in to try and run up the hours.

I was also really impressed that the game ran perfectly and I encountered no bugs or glitches (on 360) especially since multiple reviews made it seem like the game had a lot of issues in that regard.

Being a fan of the show this game was pretty much a dream come true and I'm really glad Matt and Trey took on such a central role because there's no way it would have been this great without them.

I'll probably start a second playthrough in the next few days to grab the rest of the achievements. Some seem pretty annoying but the game is fun to play so I can't complain too much.

Butters, Kyle and Jimmy were the ones I used most. I definitely used Butters for the majority of the game but I think towards the latter parts his passive ability that makes him become the target of attacks more often becomes a bit of a detriment as it makes it a lot harder to keep him alive against large groups.

Jimmy is ridiculously good for fights where sleep works. He can keep refilling his PP and putting stuff to sleep so that they can't attack at all. It's definitely exploitable to the point of being game breaking.

Cartman's damage is also really great but I leaned more toward Kyle since he can take a few more hits, buff himself and you and dish out really good damage with the Ike and arrow attacks.

Kenny seemed nearly useless to me but maybe I was using him wrong. Stan's damage output seemed pretty good but I just didn't feel like he had enough versatility to be worth using.

Ive found Kenny to be a pretty great buddy. His sparkling unicorn (lol) attack is amazing, especially when you fuck up the button prompts lol. Ive mostly just been switching between Kenny/Butters, but Jimmy seems coo ltoo

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I'm in day two and I have to
sneak back on to the crashed ufo.
So far the game feels kind of clunky and slow.
Am I crazy?

so far? youre halfway done or more. and yeah that part was a bit clunky, the rest is fine tho. I dont know what you mean by slow

Unfortunately, no.

question about day 2, spoilers obviously.

I assume that whichever side you choose doesnt matter much since they will all band together for the greater evil with the nazi zombies and government wanting to blow up the town? I still havent chosen a side

Sendou

Any chance of a PS4 port?

Well if Ubi bothered porting Rayman Legends over then why not this? Although it might have had something to do with the fact that some other UbiArt Framework (?) games were already coming to PS4.

So I'd say don't count on it but don't count it out either!

I finished the game in two sittings yesterday/this morning. Probably one of the best games I've played for a while. PC version here, no bugs whatsoever for me.

The game wasn't too difficult - I had trouble with only two bosses really
Al Gore and Al Gore dressed up as ManBearPig
, other than that it was pretty easy.

Oh and get its even more cakewalk when you get to Lv 14 - buy the sweet katana from Jimbo's Gun shop, ridiculously OP..

I see me doing another play through sometime soon, I'm hoping they release some decent DLC in future.

AHA-Lambda

anecdotal but I think this game will do very well.

I was just in my local hmv in Glasgow, and it's a big one, but they were sold out on all 3 platforms.

DedValve

Banned
They where all sold out on my gamestop but they where only given 20 copies total.

Dammit, can I escape
clydes fortress?
I can't do anything with this retarded glitch so I might as well do some fucking sidequests.

Ridley327

Well if Ubi bothered porting Rayman Legends over then why not this? Although it might have had something to do with the fact that some other UbiArt Framework (?) games were already coming to PS4.

So I'd say don't count on it but don't count it out either!

This isn't UbiArt. It's an custom built engine that Obsidian made themselves.

That being said, I don't see why an Ultimate Edition wouldn't happen down the line. It definitely would be easy money, and the game's assets more than hold up at 1080p on the PC.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
This isn't UbiArt. It's an custom built engine that Obsidian made themselves.

He's saying that Rayman Legends PS4 probably happened because UbiArt is being used for other PS4 projects (Child of Light at the least) whereas the same can't be said for Obsidian's engine.

JonCha

Really torn on whether to buy this at it's £39.99 on Steam. Is the game 12 hours if you just do the story or if you do side quests also?

using a small health potion too quickly will just make the game get stuck with nothing happening. (PS3)
buggiest game of the year.
but it's a great RPG. loving it. just so frustrating with the jerky frame rate, having to reset the game multiple times etc..

Moff

finished it, its a hilarious game
no real RPG though, the mechanics are really weak and I'd say its more an interactive movie honestly. gameplay wise this game offers almost nothing, which is why the 10h the game took me were more than enough, for any real rpg, that would have been much too short.

Really torn on whether to buy this at it's £39.99 on Steam. Is the game 12 hours if you just do the story or if you do side quests also?

Around 15 hours max if you do everything I think. I managed to pre-order it off greenmangaming for £30 on Thursday, looking now you can't get that deal anymore :(

spekkeh

Banned
Does anyone know whether there's a demo for the PC version? Normally I'd buy it for 360, but I'm really annoyed with the censorship (mostly that it's not even done funny), and thinking about hooking my laptop up to the tv instead. But I doubt it runs on my integrated graphics ultrabook...

rjinaz

question about day 2, spoilers obviously.

I assume that whichever side you choose doesnt matter much since they will all band together for the greater evil with the nazi zombies and government wanting to blow up the town? I still havent chosen a side

It matters for basically one sequence. You'll be fighting with whichever side you choose and you'll then have to fight the boss of who you chose against, in my case, Cartman. After that though no, it doesn't matter.

rjinaz

They where all sold out on my gamestop but they where only given 20 copies total.

Dammit, can I escape
clydes fortress?
I can't do anything with this retarded glitch so I might as well do some fucking sidequests.

What's the glitch you are having?

DukeBobby

finished it, its a hilarious game
no real RPG though, the mechanics are really weak and I'd say its more an interactive movie honestly. gameplay wise this game offers almost nothing, which is why the 10h the game took me were more than enough, for any real rpg, that would have been much too short.

It seems that every game that doesn't have deep, complex mechanics is called an 'interactive movie' these days. It's ridiculous.

The simplicity of the combat works in the game's favor, in my opinion. I had a lot of fun with it, which is more than I can say for a lot of modern RPGs.

Yep. There's no real post-game content except the quests you've still got open.

And I've seen the same bug a couple of times, too. Usually only happens when I alt+tab out and back into the game, but once it happened with an entire house. :lol

213670_2014-03-05_000rts8b.png

And this was my character at the end of the game. Guess it could be considered a spoiler, so I just linked it instead.

Speaking of this screen, is there anyway to get to that damn kid on the roof?

Moff

It seems that every game that doesn't have deep, complex mechanics is called an 'interactive movie' these days. It's ridiculous.
well there are a lot of interactice movies around at the moment, yes
superficial gameplay is only one part of it, though, other parts would be linearity and tons of cutscenes. its very clear what the focus of stick of truth is, and its certainly not the gameplay, or being a game at all in my opinion. I certainly wont remember it for the gameplay.

The simplicity of the combat works in the game's favor, in my opinion. I had a lot of fun with it, which is more than I can say for a lot of modern RPGs.

I dont agree, gameplay bored long before the end of the game and I started dodging the random encounters in town after a few hours. its very superficial and unsatisfying.
look at the mario & luigis RPGS, thats the same kind of combat, but so much better and satysfying, combat is actually fun there.

RPGCrazied

I guess I did make it last 15 hours. Just beat this morning, in-game time said 14 hours. I really love this game, just wish it didn't lag on the PS3. I still stand by if you like South Park in the slightest, you need to get this game. Its ultimate fan service done right. Sure not everything from South Park is in the game, but the TV series is what, 16 seasons? That's enough stuff for multiple games.

I dont agree, gameplay bored long before the end of the game and I started dodging the random encounters in town after a few hours. its very superficial and unsatisfying.
look at the mario & luigis RPGS, thats the same kind of combat, but so much better and satysfying, combat is actually fun there.

Opinions and everything...

Hello,

Slightly off topic but related.

I used Spotflux to allow me to play this early and since then noticed a folder called .swt in the main user library in Windows with two DLL's in it.

Can anyone else confirm they have this folder since using Spotflux?

I asked in the Tech help thread, but figured I'd ask in here as well!

antibolo

Banned
Awesome, two hours into the game and my PS3 ylods.

I'm not going to be a jerk and accuse Obsidian to have killed my PS3, but it's still pretty funny that it happened while playing this particular game. Maybe the spirit of Kenny will resurrect my PS3 next week. Only to see it die again less than half a hour later.

Now I have to disassemble my PS3 to get the damn game disc, as first gen PS3s don't have any manual override for the disc ejection mechanism. Way to go Sony.

JaseC

Hello,

Slightly off topic but related.

I used Spotflux to allow me to play this early and since then noticed a folder called .swt in the main user library in Windows with two DLL's in it.

Can anyone else confirm they have this folder since using Spotflux?

I asked in the Tech help thread, but figured I'd ask in here as well!

That folder is just related to Eclipse's widget SDK.

Not much no, I can't understand this opinion from my viewpoint though, I finished the game last night and immediately wanted more.
Well, I find most South Park humour to be boring and probably only get a fraction of the references, so my mileage is obviously different to most people's. I'd like it a lot more if the combat wasn't so absurdly easy.

Finally finished it, took 15 hours (according to the in game timer) and some change.

(Endgame spoilers)
Did everything I possible could, I had no remaining side quests, and collected every single Chinpokomon (you get a FR from the Toy Corporation for finishing that collection). Heh, it was pretty sneaky that the last Chinpokomon (called Shoe) was in the Evil Fortress itself.

I think I missed out on 4 friends though, what's the final friend count? I got up to 116, but you don't get anymore perks beyond 100 anyway.

Also missed out on a few weapons/patches to be bought from the girls in their "Secret Base" and the Canadian Shopkeepers. Even after picking every house, treasure box for loot/junk and making sure NOT to skip any battle encounter (I hit the level 15 cap really earlier on in the game thanks to this uncompromising mentality), I still had insufficient cash to buy everything from the final vendors. Which meant that the inventory collection had some gaps in it at the end. I couldn't be bother to grind Nazi Zombies/Dire Wolfs/Snakes anymore for the umpteenth time since I wasn't gonna get anymore EXP at that point and decided to end the game by heading over to the Evil Fortress.

Awesome, awesome game that did not outstay its welcome. The amount of love put into this game is overwhelming. Still my GOTY 2014 so far, ahead of Might and Magic X. Matt and Trey should be proud that their definitive vision of a South Park game has finally been realised, so many years after the last crappy one came out by Akklaim.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Can you drop dead instantly (with a full health bar) from being grossed out? I've had it happen many times, nobody hits me but I just lose my whole bar and drop dead out of nowhere. Grossed out is the only thing I see afflicting me.

Jb

Weird, I went to the mall to pick a copy and all the stores were out of stock. I certainly didn't expect it to happen with this game, but I'm glad it seems to be doing well.

Moff

I can't beat
Al Gore
... Should I wait until I leveled up higher or did I just miss something?

I'd say he is the hardest enemy in the game, probably because he is available early. I'm sure after you level a bit and have access to better weapons, he will be pretty easy

JaseC

Aye, google told me that.
But I havent installed anything that would warrant it being there and wondered if anyone else has it.

Not worried about Spotflux at all (Great little program and cant thank you enough for recommending it! :) ), just curious as to what caused .swt to be installed.

Surely you have Java installed?

Surely you have Java installed?

I do, yea.

But this folder structure only appeared after I installed Spotflux, but I cant find any documenation that the Spotflux devs used the swt eclipse software.

I know I'm worrying over nothing, but my ocd has kicked in and I'm curious!

Top Bottom