• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park: The Stick of Truth |OT| Bigger, Longer, and Uncut (In select regions)

krae_man

Butters is getting mad at me since I keep doing all the side quests and exploring. I've been playing the game like 6 hours and I haven't even gone back to Cartman after I recruited the 3 kids yet.

So far I've
kicked some hobo ass and made the Mongolians my bitch and I'm almost level 5. Those level 3 Mongolian arrows kick ass. I have 2 or 3 summons right now and a crap load of friends. The only things I still have left to do is finish the Al Gore quest and the hunting one. I'm also missing one fast travel flag. Wait I also have one or two kindergardeners to find.

JustinBB7

A sequel should use the superhero concept as the basis for the game.

I would love this, The Coon, Mysterion, Professor Chaos (he was in here too but not fully) would all be great in this.

Butters is getting mad at me since I keep doing all the side quests and exploring. I've been playing the game like 6 hours and I haven't even gone back to Cartman after I recruited the 3 kids yet.

So far I've
kicked some hobo ass and made the Mongolians my bitch and I'm almost level 5. Those level 3 Mongolian arrows kick ass. I have 2 or 3 summons right now and a crap load of friends. The only things I still have left to do is finish the Al Gore quest and the hunting one. I'm also missing one fast travel flag. Wait I also have one or two kindergardeners to find.

Some of those you can't do yet until you move on with the story.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

So far I've

I was 1 short on flags for a while, I eventually realized it was the flag at the Elves base and felt like an idiot.

Sorian

Banned

So far I've

About one of the side-quests you mentioned:
You're gonna have a bad time if you continue on the Al Gore quest without getting some more levels under your belt and the last flag is storyline related, you won't find it now.

NEO0MJ

I was disappointed that (Character spoilers)
Scott wasn't in it at all. Also, I wish Terrance and Philip were summons.

Yeah, it was pretty strange that
Scott wasn't even referenced by name. I think the only time he was mentioned was when Cartman said he once made a guy eat his parents. Barbara Streisand also was only mentioned in a message by Randy wondering the name of a giant robot.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
Started second playthrough as a black jew, trying to 100% with no help, which I normally don't do.

I understand the RPG people saying that the combat is too easy (it's easy), but 1) it's perfectly geared for non RPG players to jump in, which is kind of the point, and 2) you can just go for aesthetics and boom, your under powered, harder game. The length is perfect for me, but my tastes have changed to prefer more concise games so there's that.

I kinda wish Cartman had more specific jokes for black jews lol. Are your abilities really the only thing that changes between classes?

Am_I_Evil

Yeah, it was pretty strange that
Scott wasn't even referenced by name. I think the only time he was mentioned was when Cartman said he once made a guy eat his parents. Barbara Streisand also was only mentioned in a message by Randy wondering the name of a giant robot.

you're confusing
Scotts
....they are referring to
Scott the Dick
from Canada (that's why the name keeps coming up when Canada is being discussed)...you're thinking of
Scott Tenorman

CassSept

Guys.

Guys.

This game. This game.

Nazi Zombies holy moly, I can't stop laughing at their dialogue

I think I'm halfway through the game or so but what an amazing ride that is. And the references. So many references. So far it seriously feels like are attempting at referencing every South Park episode at least once, except for some of the random early-run ones (e.g. Korn episode, the one with Roger Eberty in it's name). It's really impressive and it feels so natural.

I understand the RPG people saying that the combat is too easy (it's easy), but 1) it's perfectly geared for non RPG players to jump in, which is kind of the point, and 2) you can just go for aesthetics and boom, your under powered, harder game. The length is perfect for me, but my tastes have changed to prefer more concise games so there's that.

I guess but that's not how I play games. I find the best stuff and use it. And the Holy Defender/Warrior's Scythe combo is too overpowered early on.

RPGCrazied

Didn't like the one time only summons a day, granted they are powerful, basically ending the battle of anything, other than bosses.

I think they went just a little overboard with the
underpants gnome level, when you are walking around while your parents are having sex, but I did laugh.
lol!

Mondy

Banned
Just finished the main quest about an hour ago.

Amazing game all the way through, I really enjoy playing it and will platinum it, but am I the only one that thought the
final boss battle against Kenny was just lame? Farting on his balls was funny as hell but the actual battle itself just felt slapped together with him getting up over and over again.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
I guess but that's not how I play games. I find the best stuff and use it. And the Holy Defender/Warrior's Scythe combo is too overpowered early on.

RPG = role playing game
RPG =/= gear search

That might be your problem

DedValve

Banned
A sequel should use the superhero concept as the basis for the game.

I was thinking this exact same thing.

Mysterion vs Mintberry Crunch vs the coon & cthulu in a free for all.

You could be the "superman" with the ability to have a bunch of different crazy powers rather than stick to one theme, thus making you a chosen one again.

This may or may not be the greatest sequel ever, it is impossible to know.

I wonder if douchebag will make an appearance on the show.

I was a bit disappointed we didn't get a Protect My Balls song montage from that "Playing with Weapons" episode. The only reference kept was that
Butters could turn into Professor Chaos as his ultimate ability, and the perk called "Protect My Balls".

Was really looking forward to some ultra-stylistic Ninja-esque cutscenes for the other characters as their abilities lol.

Guess it didn't fit into the whole Elves and Humans Middle Ages aesthetic they were looking for. Oh well.

krae_man

I would love this, The Coon, Mysterion, Professor Chaos (he was in here too but not fully) would all be great in this.

Some of those you can't do yet until you move on with the story.

I was 1 short on flags for a while, I eventually realized it was the flag at the Elves base and felt like an idiot.

About one of the side-quests you mentioned:
You're gonna have a bad time if you continue on the Al Gore quest without getting some more levels under your belt and the last flag is storyline related, you won't find it now.

Good, I was getting bored of side quests and was planning on continuing the story anyway.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Ah, so you have the .swt from installing Java then?

I hate it when programs install extra file directories without informing you!

Yeah, looks that way. In addition to the file data, a quick Google search returned numerous results of people in the same circumstance, wondering just what it is.

Sorian

Banned

Amazing game all the way through, I really enjoy playing it and will platinum it, but am I the only one that thought the
final boss battle against Kenny was just lame? Farting on his balls was funny as hell but the actual battle itself just felt slapped together with him getting up over and over again.

Last Boss spoiler:
As I was doing the fight, I was expecting Kenny to keep ressurecting until you had done all of the character specific counter attacks (I only saw Stan and Jimmy's but I'm talking about Stan's big counter against the unicorn and Jimmy's big counter against the rats), I was disappointed to find that I had missed Butter's and Kyle's counter to specific attacks and it would have still made sense with it culminating in Cartman helping you by holding Kenny for you

NEO0MJ

Just finished collecting all the Chinpokomon and added everyone to the friend list. Might try getting the other achievements on my second playthrough.

Yeah, it was pretty weak. But I did love the scene where Kenny summoned Nazi Zombie Death only for Butters to drive him back as Professor Chaos.

Last Boss spoiler:
As I was doing the fight, I was expecting Kenny to keep ressurecting until you had done all of the character specific counter attacks (I only saw Stan and Jimmy's but I'm talking about Stan's big counter against the unicorn and Jimmy's big counter against the rats), I was disappointed to find that I had missed Butter's and Kyle's counter to specific attacks and it would have still made sense with it culminating in Cartman helping you by holding Kenny for you

I think it depends on who were your two most used team mates, excluding Cartman. I saw Butters' and Kyle's because those were the two I used most often.

Sorian

Banned
I think it depends on who were your two most used team mates, excluding Cartman. I saw Butters' and Kyle's because those were the two I used most often.

Last Boss still:
I used Stan once the entire game just during the fight against his sister. I just looked up a video online, and you can see all four counters but this is just another case of the enemies being too weak for the battle system. Fight ends when Kenny is KO'd three times regardless of what is going on, guy I watched took the fight really slow, got all four counters and then Cartman, on the sidelines, said something like "guess I'm the only hope" and came in to fight, he didn't have a special move to counter as far as I saw though.

NEO0MJ

Last Boss still:
I used Stan once the entire game just during the fight against his sister. I just looked up a video online, and you can see all four counters but this is just another case of the enemies being too weak for the battle system. Fight ends when Kenny is KO'd three times regardless of what is going on, guy I watched took the fight really slow, got all four counters and then Cartman, on the sidelines, said something like "guess I'm the only hope" and came in to fight, he didn't have a special move to counter as far as I saw though.

Ha, interesting. I thought of delaying the fight but was worried I might die. so I killed the princess

Labadal

Really enjoying it so far. Only been in one boss battle and that entire scenario was the funniest so far.

My besrded, monocle wearing wizard clad in black snd purple armor is dominating everyone.

Robin64

I was a bit disappointed we didn't get a Protect My Balls song montage from that "Playing with Weapons" episode. The only reference kept was that
Butters could turn into Professor Chaos as his ultimate ability, and the perk called "Protect My Balls".

At least the entire song is played on the radio in the shops sometimes.

Along with some Team America songs, that's pretty damn cool.

Ah, crap. I take it there isn't any way to get back into the school halls after the early Detention quest? I was looking through a guide of missable collectables and the only one I'm missing is the weapon you can get in a locker after beating the boss.

ksdixon

I hate quick time events, in all their forms. My progress has frozen at Randy Marsh and the 'Nagasaki Fart' because I can't do it.

NEO0MJ

Ah, crap. I take it there isn't any way to get back into the school halls after the early Detention quest? I was looking through a guide of missable collectables and the only one I'm missing is the weapon you can get in a locker after beating the boss.

Some areas, friends and quests can only be accessed on certain days/the first time you visit them so you might have missed it.

-MD-

I hate quick time events, in all their forms. My progress has frozen at Randy Marsh and the 'Nagasaki Fart' because I can't do it.

You lean all the way to one side until the waves start going crazy and then you fairly rapidly hop back and forth between A & D (on a keyboard) a few times until it prompts you to right click.

Was wondering if it's possible to miss a side quest by advancing the story? I wanna get other party members and use them for the side missions but I don't wanna miss anything.

ksdixon

you're confusing
Scotts
....they are referring to
Scott the Dick
from Canada (that's why the name keeps coming up when Canada is being discussed)...you're thinking of
Scott Tenorman

I thought the mountie stopping you from entering Canada early-on was Scott? He was certainly being a dick about things. "See? No matter which way you try to go, I. AM. BLOCKING. YOU!"

On that note, how do we get a passport? The photo dojo guy just asks me over and over if I've ever thought of doing modeling, he never takes my picture at all.

Was wondering if it's possible to miss a side quest by advancing the story? I wanna get other party members and use them for the side missions but I don't wanna miss anything.

I think the only side quest you can possibly miss is the
one with Sergent Yates available after the Nazi Zombies appear but you can't get it if you've already beaten the final boss.

ksdixon said:
On that note, how do we get a passport? The photo dojo guy just asks me over and over if I've ever thought of doing modeling, he never takes my picture at all.
You can't get it until the story prompts you to.

ksdixon

Has it ever been said/shown on the show that Stan's mum works in Tom's Rhinoplasty? That seemed really weird seeing her working there. And LOL where was the South Park geology station for Randy's job?

Edit: Actually I don't think Randy is a geologist anymore since the Goobacks 'Took His Jerb', but I honestly can't remember where he and Nelson work now.

NEO0MJ

There is one side quest that's missable (slight spoilers)
Sargent Yates has a quest for you once you reach the mid-game that has to be completed before you enter the final dungeon.

Sorian

Banned
I thought the mountie stopping you from entering Canada early-on was Scott? He was certainly being a dick about things. "See? No matter which way you try to go, I. AM. BLOCKING. YOU!"

Story-line

abundant

I think the only side quest you can possibly miss is the
one with Sergent Yates available after the Nazi Zombies appear but you can't get it if you've already beaten the final boss.

There's also at least two quests that have parts that can be missed.

Jimbo's quest has a part that can only be done during a certain mission. The same goes for the Hobo quest as well, I think.

There's also at least two quests that have parts that can be missed.

Jimbo's quest has a part that can only be done during a certain mission. The same goes for the Hobo quest as well, I think.

You
can get back into the school for Jimbo's quest using Jimmy
and
the hobo on the UFO isn't part of the homeless problem quest.

This is real splendid. I can't seem to get the game to load after
taking out Craig and his cows and his clones
. I've reloaded all the saves/checkpoints I possibly can, I've restarted the game, I've uninstalled and reinstalled the game, but no dice. I wonder if Sony would reimburse me and remove the license from my account? Or is there something else I may try?

edit: I should clarify, though it could be derived from my post, that I bought it digitally.

ElRenoRaven

Finally. 15 hours and I have finished it with all quests. Still didn't find all the Chimpokomon but I'm ok with that. Damn amazing game. I just can't rave over this game enough. I'm so going back and playing as the other classes now.

Mindlog

I hate letting Metacritic disturrb me especially when I haven't finished the game...
JtEoSuF.jpg

But there is no way this is an under 85 game. That is absurd. Maybe I've been lucky since I haven't run into any bugs yet. I've been looking forward to this game and I never anticipated it being this good. -Box Quote.

The love for the property oozes through everything. Couldn't be happier with the game so far.

DedValve

Banned
This game does have quite a few problems that drags down the experience but fortunately all these problems aren't beyond fixing.

* A more challenging battle system with nerfed status effects
* A WAY more detailed, if not automated "learn magic" since it's hard to do, gives you vague or wrong instructions and if you fail you have to wait a long time. In game you don't even use it as much and it functions differently!
* Bug fixes - I finally managed to clear the final level this morning (360) here and apparently I'm one of many facing lots of issues

It's a great game and with these fixes it can be even better. Haven't bothered to check the metascore or reviews.

Sorian

Banned
This game does have quite a few problems that drags down the experience but fortunately all these problems aren't beyond fixing.

* A more challenging battle system with nerfed status effects
* A WAY more detailed, if not automated "learn magic" since it's hard to do, gives you vague or wrong instructions and if you fail you have to wait a long time. In game you don't even use it as much and it functions differently!
* Bug fixes - I finally managed to clear the final level this morning (360) here and apparently I'm one of many facing lots of issues

It's a great game and with these fixes it can be even better. Haven't bothered to check the metascore or reviews.

I quoted you in the other thread but meh, I'll go for it again here too. The learn magic portions have nothing wrong with them, anyone who had an issue with it was not following the exact instructions that appeared on the screen, if you made an assumption and tried to work based on that assumption, thats your fault not the games. The prompts on the screen were exactly what you needed to do.

This was probably not the game for you then sadly.
True, but I've definitely got fun out of it. There are some bits that are funny, the world in general is charming, and I'm impressed by how detailed and realized and faithful it all is. It's a real feat for Obsidian, who are a developed I love.

It would be easier for me to overlook all the humour I find lame if the gaming part was meatier, and I don't understand why it isn't; Obsidian know their shit. As it is, I'm playing on Hardcore difficulty yet swimming in cash, consistently leaving items behind because I'm already 'Full', and the only fight that wasn't plain sailing was
Al Gore

But as an example of how to take a license and do justice to it in a faithful, intelligent way in a gaming context, it's as good as if not better than the recent Batman games. Having it be a JRPG with the kids LARPing is masterful.

Lingitiz

I hate letting Metacritic disturrb me especially when I haven't finished the game...
JtEoSuF.jpg

But there is no way this is an under 85 game. That is absurd. Maybe I've been lucky since I haven't run into any bugs yet. I've been looking forward to this game and I never anticipated it being this good. -Box Quote.

The love for the property oozes through everything. Couldn't be happier with the game so far.

You really shouldn't pay too much attention to MC scores. There are some people out there that just don't like South Park, so it was inevitable that it would get a few lower scoring reviews.

Top Bottom