• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park: The Stick of Truth |OT| Bigger, Longer, and Uncut (In select regions)

Sorian

Banned
True, but I've definitely got fun out of it. There are some bits that are funny, the world in general is charming, and I'm impressed by how detailed and realized and faithful it all is. It's a real feat for Obsidian, who are a developed I love.

It would be easier for me to overlook all the humour I find lame if the gaming part was meatier, and I don't understand why it isn't; Obsidian know their shit. As it is, I'm playing on Hardcore difficulty yet swimming in cash, consistently leaving items behind because I'm already 'Full', and the only fight that wasn't plain sailing was
Al Gore

But as an example of how to take a license and do justice to it in a faithful, intelligent way in a gaming context, it's as good as if not better than the recent Batman games. Having it be a JRPG with the kids LARPing is masterful.

The real problem is the difficulty. There is a really meaty fighting system there with a diverse set of moves between yourself and your companions but it ends up not mattering because everything can be brute forced and worst of all, it can be brute forced without much effort from the player in the first place. Almost all moves cause a status effect and status effects absolutely destroy the computer in this game. I find it funny that as the jew class, I ended up ignoring one move and it happened to be the one that didn't cause any status effects.

Has it ever been said/shown on the show that Stan's mum works in Tom's Rhinoplasty? That seemed really weird seeing her working there.

I think they've shown her working there a couple times. Almost positive she was working there at the beginning of the SP movie when Stan went in to get movie money.

Okay yeah, I think I'm boned here. I've played up to the same part through all my checkpoints and saves and still cannot get beyond a black loading screen after
Craig/cows/clones
fight is over. Guess I need to contact Sony.

Are some early side-quests not able to be completed until you get some abilities further in the game? Like for example:
The Defibrillator quest(from Algore) under the sewers I cant cross but I see a little alien robot thingy

Also the
Beat up Hobo quest line, is that possible to beat as soon as I get the quest? I only defeated 2 so far

Thanks.(I only ask as I like to complete quests as soon as they appear however if you cant then it would be good to know so I don't frustrate myself.

No Love

Banned
This game is perfect in every way except difficulty. That's it.

Despite the lack of difficulty, it's still extremely fun and never ceases to throw interesting things your way. Game is so jampacked full of inside jokes and South Park culture that it's ridiculous.

Remember how Bioware tried so hard to make a Sonic RPG and completely failed to do justice to the license? Obsidian has done the opposite here.

Sorian

Banned
Are some early side-quests not able to be completed until you get some abilities further in the game? Like for example:
The Defibrillator quest(from Algore) under the sewers I cant cross but I see a little alien robot thingy

Also the
Beat up Hobo quest line, is that possible to beat as soon as I get the quest? I only defeated 2 so far

Thanks.(I only ask as I like to complete quests as soon as they appear however if you cant then it would be good to know so I don't frustrate myself.

Easy answer is yes, if you feel like you are at the place to finish a quest and it isn't working then you will unlock something later to do it.

erawsd

I'm surprised folks have had so much trouble with the fart training. They're pretty straight forward and all exactly the same, except you hold the left stick in a different direction.

played on easy the entire time and got the platinum in one run; i dont really care for a challenge. Loaded up a save before the decision and saw both outcomes.

Overall I really liked the game, wish i had waited until it was just a bit cheaper though. I think 40 would have been the perfect price for it. I cant see myself going back to play as a different class when I have already done everything. Total it took less than 20 hours to get the platinum

Sony's giving me a refund for the game, so I guess I'm not going to be beating it. Suppose I'll watch the rest of the game from Youtube. Really cool game, but yeah, not playing through it again to potentially run into the same problem.

Raw64life

Just finished the game. Had a huge nerdgasm when I got to Canada. Loved almost everything about the game. My only problem besides the game not being very balanced at the end are the technical issues. Why does a game that looks like this have such a shit frame rate? And I also ran into some audio syncing issues.

There is one side quest that's missable (slight spoilers)
Sargent Yates has a quest for you once you reach the mid-game that has to be completed before you enter the final dungeon.

Of course I read this 30 minutes after I beat the game. Fuck.

NeededSleep

Just finished the game on my first playthrough. I have not had this much fun with a main story line for such a long time.

Hats off to the South Park team for letting this happen.

Thank you so much <3 SouthPark

Am I the only one having trouble with QTE's? I'm loving the game but fuck me,
i really cant get past that alien dildo ass QTE...

This bit took me forever my first time through. Came really close to just giving up, but eventually I found a way to make it work and didn't have any problems with it my second time through.

Assuming you're talking about the black probe up your character's ass part.

The
simon says game? They make it purposely hard a few times to get some laughs out of you

No the
alien anal probe thing

This bit took me forever my first time through. Came really close to just giving up, but eventually I found a way to make it work and didn't have any problems with it my second time through.

Yeah I will try again... It's just annoying the fuck out of me, so dumb.

CassSept

I'm beat.

The entire
Underpant Gnomes
segment was so bizarre. It can't be beaten, can it?

And then
I go into an abortion clinic and fight nazi rats and nazi fetuses. Rats. With swastika armbands. Performing roman salute. Aborted fetuses screaming German.
I don't know. I think I am actually hallucinating. This can't possibly be happening. Nobody is insane enough to think that up.

The game does have some problems as far as mechanics of the game go, but the script, the humor, the bizarre scenarios, the voice acting, the everything makes these problems feel nonexistent. I watched all SP episodes (except for one, Million Little Fibers, which I refuse to ever finish), some of them several times, yet I wasn't prepared for this. Excellent.

Sorian

Banned
I'm beat.

The entire
Underpant Gnomes

And then
I go into an abortion clinic and fight nazi rats and nazi fetuses. Rats. With swastika armbands. Performing roman salute. Aborted fetuses screaming German.
I don't know. I think I am actually hallucinating. This can't possibly be happening. Nobody is insane enough to think that up.

The game does have some problems as far as mechanics of the game go, but the script, the humor, the bizarre scenarios, the voice acting, the everything makes these problems feel nonexistent. I watched all SP episodes (except for one, Million Little Fibers, which I refuse to ever finish), some of them several times, yet I wasn't prepared for this. Excellent.

What if I told you it gets better?

Sublyminal

Neo Member
I'm beat.

The entire
Underpant Gnomes

And then

You have a problem with Oprah's minge?

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Just beat it. Fantastic. Combat isn't super amazing, but it's fun and even on hardcore it wasn't that hard, but it wasn't always easy either. At the very least it is never cheap and that's all I can ask for.

As for everything else, it was just awesome. Just when I didn't think things could get any more insane they did. Writing was always spot on, presentation felt like I was in the show. Even though I beat it around 15 hours it was totally worth it. I would love for them to do more with it. Combat is a good foundation but could definitely be built up and there is no shortage of material from the show that they can use to inspire new adventures.

Yuterald

Opened my copy last night and played it for a few hours. Incredible. Biggest surprise of the year so far. Been a South Park fan since the beginning and this is everything I would have imagined it to be and more. I can't believe they have real pictures/photos of people in the game too. That was always one of my favorite aspects of the show. So good. Can't wait to see more!

JustinBB7

Finished it earlier, awesome game, gonna go collect my remaining friends/achievements now.

But I thought I read people talking about
mega Clyde, but I never saw him?
did I miss that?

AHA-Lambda

I think the only side quest you can possibly miss is the
one with Sergent Yates available after the Nazi Zombies appear but you can't get it if you've already beaten the final boss.

You can't get it until the story prompts you to.

damn it that's the only side quest I've not done and I'm at the end game right now >_<

Finished it earlier, awesome game, gonna go collect my remaining friends/achievements now.

But I thought I read people talking about
mega Clyde, but I never saw him?
did I miss that?

I never saw that, if it's there. I'm pretty sure at this point there's only one thing I've missed.
The Yates mission.

Exis

I just beat it.

The story was good, funny in places and full of references to a show I have been watching for years.
The battles got old,- fast. and due to how the gameplay worked you have to pay attention.
I HATED the
farting QTE's- I failed them all the flipping time inspite of doing what was on screen

I would have loved to have been in on the ESRB presentation for this one.

Sublyminal

Neo Member
Just wondering how long before the DLC comes out.

If you visited the character you sided with during the cafeteria fight, they'll say something along the lines of "The war may be over but I know fatfuck(i sided with Kyle) is planning something"

that statement right there makes me think dlc and lots of it.

Ferrio

Banned
Beat it last night. By far the funniest game I've ever played. They pretty much took all the jokes from their series and crammed it into one game, with new stuff peppered here and there. Unfortunately the farther you go the easier it is to see how the battle system is just... kinda there and was really just a way to include more jokes into the game.

Sorian

Banned
Just wondering how long before the DLC comes out.

If you visited the character you sided with during the cafeteria fight, they'll say something along the lines of "The war may be over but I know fatfuck(i sided with Kyle) is planning something"

that statement right there makes me think dlc and lots of it.

Spoilers about something that was absent from the game:
I don't care what the DLC is but it would be a huge disservice if the fully completed version of this game has no trace of Satan and Saddam

Ferrio

Banned
Spoilers about something that was absent from the game:
I don't care what the DLC is but it would be a huge disservice if the fully completed version of this game has no trace of Satan and Saddam

Wouldn't be surprised if they were saving them, that sounds like a good protagonist.

AHA-Lambda

wow, it sounds like there is a lot of stuff that was cut from this. totally forgot about
giant Clyde from the trailer

DukeBobby

wow, it sounds like there is a lot of stuff that was cut from this. totally forgot about
giant Clyde from the trailer

Well, that trailer is nearly two years old, and it did have a rocky development, so changes were bound to be made.

I've played some games that had stuff cut out that was shown in the launch trailer. Now, that shit is unforgivable.

Completed it an hour or so ago. Really good story, felt the battles were interesting enough although I did kinda just spam Dragon Breath most of the game since nothing else ever seemed to do as much damage while removing as much armor. Something about that should be balanced in the future.

The farting sequences were hard it just seemed difficult and then you got it in the tutorial and then it was much easier during the actual game but I never bothered dealing with mana or any mana equipment really. Some of the sequences were confusing but eventually I got everything.

The gameplay was pretty good, didn't come across any glitches.

Just a really fun game. Probably play through it again in a year or two when all the DLC is out.

Myomoto

Just finished it, loved it all the way through. I really wish that the combat had been better balanced, I just got 5x stacks of bleeding on enemies and they died instantly, didn't have to consider their stances or armor amounts or actually apply much of any tactics, just spam bleed for succes. I would have liked to see more party members on your side of the battles so that the battles could have been longer and included more decisions.

AHA-Lambda

Just finished it, love it love it love it, hope there is DLC coming for more!
Annoyed though that I missed the one missable side quest in the game!

In case anyone still wants playtimes, it took me 13 hours according to Steam to complete the game, all side quests except 1 and I'm very close to most collectables as well, I'm at 26/30 chinpokomon and 98 friends out of I assume 100.

DedValve

Banned
I quoted you in the other thread but meh, I'll go for it again here too. The learn magic portions have nothing wrong with them, anyone who had an issue with it was not following the exact instructions that appeared on the screen, if you made an assumption and tried to work based on that assumption, thats your fault not the games. The prompts on the screen were exactly what you needed to do.

What? No.

I tried it again and again doing exactly what I was told, then exactly what I was shown. They where vague, very very vague.

"press left then find the right frequency then push up!" *analog goes left, then sways back and forth then pushes up*

I tried doing exactly that. Sometimes it wouldn't even tell you to go into a direction but instead just "find the frequency". This was especially worse with
that 3rd one Randy teaches you

Because after that one time the mechanic completely changes and you have to press a button to do the fart rather than just push up!

The only one that made any sense was the
nagasaki
and maybe the first one.

The instructions where way to vague and it wouldn't have been bad if you could immediately do them but you can't, you gotta wait and be shown the same vague instructions again. I wasn't the only one with this problem, I had to google search and find a few people asking the same question until I could hunt down the right answer (to ignore the tutorial).

Nzyme32

Just finished and thoroughly recommend it for south park fans and non south park fans too. Lots of referencing and in jokes for the initiated fans but a lot to take away for newcomers who will probably get a big kick from the show now.

Was pleasantly surprised to find that some of the screenshots on steam represent side quests that I missed out by the end, so even with 15 hours done to finish the game, I still have stuff to do with my favourite character groups that were missing from the main story and the side quests I already did!

I have one last trophy left to get, It's called
"Dragon Wrath." How do you fart on 3 people on the outside world and beat them
? I asked a little earlier, but didn't get an answer.

MBR

Banned
Just finished it and I generally liked it a lot. The tutorials were a bit sluggish when you failed to pull something off and had to sit through the entire explanation and demonstration again, but other than that most of the game was really solid.

I kept thinking "This is like, the third best Paper Mario (After 1 & TTYD), pretty much" because of the battles. But playing on Normal, I did not die more than once, and being able to heal and attack the same turn made the game waaaaaaay easy to complete.

It felt kinda' short, which I really noticed when
I had recruited the girls, and Stan (? Don't remember) just said "Oh btw, I got the Pirates and Barbarians (?) so you don't have to :)"
, feels like they had plans to do more with the game, but I understand that they wanted to release it, and in its current state, it's more than good enough to carry the South Park flag. (Actually, since the episodes always feel like they're cut short without elaborate endings, I found it fitting that this too was pretty short.)

After a few hours, it really felt like I was playing an interactive SP episode.

DedValve

Banned
I felt that the pacing was pretty perfect except for
recruiting the girls

It was just way to long and dragged on forever and I would have preferred
Canada to be a separate mission to recruit the pirates since it would put Ike in the spotlight.

It felt long but didn't overstay it's welcome. Such good pacing.

Top Bottom