• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park: The Stick of Truth |OT| Bigger, Longer, and Uncut (In select regions)

jonno394

6 hours in and on day two. Absoultely loving this! I know i'll finish it in under 15 hours, but that doesn't detract from just how awesome this game is. SO much fun.

Just looking in to THQ's original announcements regarding DLC, THQ announcedthere would be three and the 360 would get these first. I wonder whether the transition to Ubisoft has seen this thrown out?

Linius

I've been reading so much about that this game might be too short but I'm two hours in now and I'm still busy with the recruiting quest for Cartman from the very beginning. Though I must admit that meeting a few folks on the way got me side tracked doing some optional quests and just exploring the town in general. It's just so much fun.

I'm now midway through day two and loving it.
IMO, the fact that the side quests are to such a high standard (far better than in any RPG I've played) makes the fact that it might be a little short fine. I'm loving the cameos and references, it really is perfect for fans.

I'm hoping it does well so that we get a chance of a sequel.

CassSept

Btw, I'm honestly surprised with the soundtrack of yhis game! A lot of these tunes would fit in a real RPG without sticking out too much. Title screen theme reminds me of Morrowind and that overworld theme with Cartman singing is sweet. I knew the game would be fun, well-written and look like the show but I did not expect a legit RPG ost!

AllenShrz

OMG at the
audio logs.
dead.png

Some needs to force Ken Levine to listen to them.

DedValve

Banned
Just finished it.

Multiple scene ruining bugs. Several involving Professor Chaos and the game just hanging there.

Also towards the end (don't read if you're not near the end)
inside Clyde's castle right before going into Mr. Slave's butt ... the game screen just kinda flashed and then went to the end game credits. I was like WTF? Reloaded and then went into his butt ... so weird some of the bugs.

Still enjoyed it though.

You suffered the same, or something similar to what I got at that time

Incredible game. As a major South Park fan, I find the fan service second to none. It's like they thought of everything. The style, the layout of the city. I love all the inclusion of old episodes. Ultimate homage.

My least favorite thing is the battle system. It could have been better, but the humor is hilarious at least.

JustinBB7

Really wish the level cap was higher, even though the game was already easy enough, having fights and letting all that xp go to waste is so annoying :(

Gonna start second playthrough later to get all the achievements I missed.

Necrovex

Finished the game yesterday, and I am simply in love with it. I grabbed the PC version, and I was quite surprised, not to be hit by any bugs. This has a strong chance of being my GOTY, but it's still early on. It'll at least be on my GOTY top ten list.

I'm a very casual South Park fan, I've seen maybe a dozen of the most famous (infamous?) episodes and the movie, and I am absolutely loving this game. The humor is great, as expected, but most surprising is how much I'm enjoying playing it. My only complaint is one that has been mentioned several times, difficulty. At about the 8 hour mark, level 12 or so, I had to bump it up to hardcore and now, going into the final mission, at level 15 it is just way too easy. I'm playing Mage and just one hit killing almost every enemy on hardcore. I really wish it was harder because I like the combat a lot, especially the challenge of the earlier stuff.

But that's not getting in the way of my enjoyment. I was expecting it to be good, but not this good. Already one of the best games of the year.

And holy god as a Canadian everything about
going to Canada
was magically stupid.

EDIT: I've also had basically no technical issues on PC. Had to reload a checkpoint during the first farting tutorial and had my character disappear once during a cutscene but that was it.

FHIZ

Mayyybe during the holidays or early next year, after the DLC is complete. There won't be a significant upgrade though, due to the game's style. No improved textures or AA.

Has there been any word on DLC? I know at SDCC Parker and Stone said they were against it, but that was a while ago.

But yeah, a current gen port seems like an ideal scenario if there's a GOTY edition, but again, not sure if there's going to be anything to add.

Ridley327

It looks great at 1080p, but it isn't on the level of say Tomb Raider jumping from PS3 to PS4.

It isn't, but there's not really much that you can do that would still be faithful to the look and feel of the show. There might be people who bemoan the game not being 60 fps, but going with 30 fps was absolutely the correct aesthetic decision.

FHIZ

It isn't, but there's not really much that you can do that would still be faithful to the look and feel of the show. There might be people who bemoan the game not being 60 fps, but going with 30 fps was absolutely the correct aesthetic decision.

What are you talking about!? I need 60fps to get the best out of that crappy walk animation!

But seriously... if they ever do a re-release, they should South Park the shit out of it... New polygonal graphics, replace all the guns with walkie-talkies, Imperial walkers everywhere. I'd buy that again.

_hekk05

Banned
You're probably fighting him too early, if your weapons aren't strong enough to break through their high armor you're gonna have a bad time.

Nah. DOTs in the game are overpowered. I took him on early. Choose a weapon with 2 patch slots and put in fire and frost damage, then choose broken bottle, put in 1 bleeding. Bottle has inherent 1 bleed and like 10 gross damage and hits 4 random targets.

First turn, use a speed potion and hit him once with melee and another with ranged. He gets 5 stacks of bleed, on fire, slowed down and grossed out in the first turn. Rinse and repeat stacking dots on the guards when you see them too. Just heal away damage the guards do and wait for them to tick out naturally.

Having jimmy continuously casting sleep is OP too, as they only wake up after they've taken DOT damage.

NEO0MJ

Pretty much. I played it on a friends house who left the TV's display setting that displayed everything in 60 FPS on and the game looked so strange.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Has there been any word on DLC?

Nope, and as much as I'd love for there to be some sort of DLC expansion I wouldn't be surprised if Matt and Trey just want to leave Stick of Truth behind them considering its somewhat rocky road to shelves. They set out precisely what they wanted to achieve with SoT -- that is, a true South Park game for South Park fans -- and for that I'm more than grateful even if there's to be no new content.

I'm so damn close to the platinum that I'm probably going to do a second playthrough and just burn through the main missions (failed to get a missable weapon at the very beginning of the game). One of the only other ones I'm missing is the "fart on four leaders" one. Is there any way to "guarantee" it'll actually work? I 100% did it to each person multiple times using multiple farts and it didn't pop for me the first time through.

NEO0MJ

I can't get
Princess Kenny's theme
out of my head, it's too catchy :(

Nope, and as much as I'd love for there to be some sort of DLC expansion I wouldn't be surprised if Matt and Trey just want to leave Stick of Truth behind them considering its somewhat rocky road to shelves. They set out precisely what they wanted to achieve with SoT -- that is, a true South Park game for South Park fans -- and for that I'm more than grateful even if there's to be no new content.

I'm still hoping that the chapter with the vamps and the crab people come out somehow.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
So has their been any word when (or even if) they plan to add PC control options? Want to start a second game, but want a decent control scheme this time.

k4n3

Banned
very short game but it was funny as hell... but for anyone who has not bought the game yet wait, its buggy and very short not worth $60 wait for the price to come down and for a patch

HT UK

Just finished this game. Can't believe how good it is. I really will be surprised if anything beats it this year for my personal GOTY.

I don't know if we'll ever see DLC or a sequel. Either would be awesome. But I'm so glad this finally got released and turned out so good.

Darklord

Banned
Umm is it just me or do the
nazi zombie
enemies have absolutely no sound effects? They're completely silent. It's weird.

I was reading somewhere the main campaign is 12 hours. Is this true?

The main campaign by itself is probably shorter. I finished the game in about 13.5 hours doing just about everything and spending a lot of time exploring. But even at that length the game was amazing and worth $60.

Umm is it just me or do the
nazi zombie
enemies have absolutely no sound effects? They're completely silent. It's weird.

Maybe a bug, they talk in mine. And it's pretty damn funny.

FTF

For those of you who have finished the game, Best Buy is offering $80 for the game in trade in.

Try it today before it gets fixed!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcat17093&type=page

lol even if you didn't finish it you could just buy it again and still be up $20...though while it says $80 on front screen of that link, when you click it it then says $20 (which now seems too low) so who knows what's going on with that.

k4n3

Banned
For those of you who have finished the game, Best Buy is offering $80 for the game in trade in.

Try it today before it gets fixed!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcat17093&type=page

to get the 100% to you have to go down to best buy? its a long drive for me :(

lol even if you didn't finish it you could just buy it again and still be up $20...though while it says $80 on front screen of that link, when you click it it then says $20 (which now seems too low) so who knows what's going on with that.

yeah me too i went to try and do it online and they said its only worth $20....

Real Hero

Just completed the game and loved it, was really happy to
Chef...
at the end, seemed like a fitting time have him appear

Sanjuro

to get the 100% to you have to go down to best buy? its a long drive for me :(

yeah me too i went to try and do it online and they said its only worth $20....

They may have fixed it. Best Buy is sometimes lazy with doing the pricing. I've done a few trades where I've gotten more than MSRP. It's just a matter if they fix it or not, and usually you have to do it early Sunday.

Wow, this game....haha, so good. Just finished it and god knows how many hours I wasted on it! This was the most fun I've had with a game in a loooong time. It was a perfect example of a fan service done right. It's hard to describe but I had this sort of a magical and unreal feeling while playing, maybe 'cos it just felt like an episode of South Park I could actually control. Definately one of my all time favorite games!

I think I managed to find and finish every sidequest but I'm bummed that I missed one Chinpokomon. Because of that I couldn't befriend everyone. I'd double dip in a heartbeat if they make a PS4/X1 version and replay it 100%.

Edit: No bugs or glitches for me! Worked like a charm on Xbox 360 with the first patch installed.

Nose Master

The battle system feels so unfinished. I'm not sure why the armor stat exists. Did anyone beat the game without spamming PP moves that ignore armor or bleed/gross-out? It makes zero sense for some enemies to have 1000 armor and 8k HP while some enemies just have 8kHP, in the same area. Your weapons do fuck-all for damage, but bleeding does 2k a turn? Okay.

I kind of got tired of the town after the second day, also. I wanted to search every building for
places to use the Gnome power
, but after finding about four (none of which had anything decent in them) I stopped bothering.

Darklord

Banned
WTF? I just found out why I can't hear the
nazi zombies.
They've fucked censored it. All the speech from them. What the fuck? I'm in Australia, not Germany why the hell is it censored? As soon as one character turned into one in a cutscene it immediately muted his speech and ONLY his speech. Are you fucking kidding me? Please tell me this is a really weird bug because if it isn't, oh my god Ubisoft.

I was reading somewhere the main campaign is 12 hours. Is this true?

I finished it under that and did all but one side quest.

So, here's the deal...I loved this game. It was fantastic start to finish, and whenever I felt it was a little on the tame side it got crazier and crazier. It was a lot of fun mechanically, even though the farting and commands with L2/R2 can be clunky. The difficulty was lacking, but I don't really think it ruined the experience.

A few sequences were downright hilarious, like
The underpants gnomes sequence, Princess Kenny's themesong battle, the abortion clinic, and the fight with Shelly.

At the end of the day though, this feels more like high-end PSN/XBL game than a full release to me.

As mentioned, it's short. REALLY short for an RPG. It is also not that replayable. The classes do not offer anything unique in terms of core gameplay, just spells that produce generally the same results with different animations/gimmicks.

This is disappointing because the South Park universe is so massive. There were many fun cameos but most of the characters and events are referenced through quickly passed moments or junk collection instead of real opportunities to tie into the game play with sidequests (which are far too few and plain).

The town itself is surprisingly small. In reality, it's about the size of two or three JRPG villages with around five "dungeons".

It's also unforgivably buggy. I experienced game-breaking glitches FOUR TIMES during my adventure. There is extreme slowdown in several sections. Let's be honest - these graphics are endearing and true to the show, but this is a very simple game all around. Obsidian has proven once again that they can't program for shit. Every single game I have ever played from their catalog has crashed multiple times and produced several other headaches that never cleared up. This is no exception.

With the development time they had, the hundreds of hours of material they had to draw inspiration from, direct access to the creators of said material, the fact that this is such a small, simple game with a $60 price tag is crazy to me.

As a $30 game, this is a 9 or a 10. As a $60 game, I feel like I can't justify more than a 6.5 or 7.

From what I've been reading, you all enjoy the game quite a bit as well and I'm sure you're going to jump down my throat over this post, but I beat the game early yesterday and can't shake this feeling that while the game is great, it's way too short/limited and we could have had so much more.

The battle system feels so unfinished. I'm not sure why the armor stat exists. Did anyone beat the game without spamming PP moves that ignore armor or bleed/gross-out? It makes zero sense for some enemies to have 1000 armor and 8k HP while some enemies just have 8kHP, in the same area. Your weapons do fuck-all for damage, but bleeding does 2k a turn? Okay.

No, I had the same experience. Combat in this game is pretty silly, you just exploit the really OP stuff every battle.

One of the things this game desperately needed was more optional boss type fights. Like you should have had to fight the Christmas Critters. I really want to see what their attacks would have been.

rjinaz

As a $30 game, this is a 9 or a 10. As a $60 game, I feel like I can't justify more than a 6.5 or 7.

A 6.5 or 7 seems kind of harsh. Games costs $60, that is just how it is for new games that are not mobile or handheld. Most of the games share the same length of time. That fact that this is an RPG I don't think is relevant. What is relevant is, did you get as much out of the game as you do any other game you pay $60 for. The answer to me is an astounding hell yeah! I had fun with this game and it made me laugh a lot. What else can you really expect from a game? Maybe you didn't have the same experience as I did which is certainly possible.

By the way, personally I feel no game should cost $60 but I'm not going to fault a game because it does.

lunchtoast

Beat it over the week. These things have probably already been mentioned. I spent the first few hours exploring the whole town before I even finished the first main quest. Eventually beat all the side quests and game over 2 days. Don't know the game time but that's not important. As far as South Park it's everything you would want it to be.

There were some problems (PS3) that were irking me by the end. The stuttering/slow down after walking into the next screen. There's also a lot of loading screens. It was annoying. Sometimes the slowdown would fuck up my timing as you would walk into a new screen and try to whack an enemy right in front of you because of stuttering.

I was hesitant by the end to start a new game for trophies and play a different class.

My other concerns aren't legit but about the trophies.

End game, still need to buy weapons and equipment for trophy. Is there an easy way to get money or do you have to grind? Fighting those wolves are so frustrating fuck call of the wild.

Top Bottom