• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park: The Stick of Truth |OT| Bigger, Longer, and Uncut (In select regions)

Killzig

You didn't think it was odd that
you had no hand in recruiting the pirates and federation and Kyle just hand-waved it off with an "oh yeah, I got them to join up with us"

Or that the
mall was never accessible. Or that the crab people were represented by a single, very missable, character and that invasion the guy promised...
DLC maybe?

I am kind of bummed that this is an Obsidian game without any of the things that I enjoy about Obsidian games (dialog and replayability mostly). Don't think I'll be in for any DLC. Can't see myself enjoying a moment more of that gameplay. I was pretty ready for the game to end by the time I got
to Canada
. I'd already hit the level cap and was getting no enjoyment out of those perfunctory QTE battles. Guess you can count me as someone who appreciated the short run time.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
And before someone says "oh but they had to write a season's worth of dialog!" or something like that, please think about how much writing goes into the titles mentioned and adjust your sense of reality.
When you have essentially two people writing everything and all of that writing is worthwhile then yes i think the fact that this is 2-3 seasons worth of South Park is fair.

NEO0MJ

The presence of both can be justified, Ike is obviously head of the pirates so Kyle wouldn't have much issue recruiting them, the point still stands though that in a story (especially a game that pokes fun at its RPG source material), the main character ends up having a huge hand in almost everything that is going on and you had been everyone's lackey in the game thus far when suddenly Kyle basically tells you not to worry about it, he'll recruit 2 out of the 3 factions we need. Pretty obvious that stuff ended up on the cutting room floor (same with a Goth recruitment quest based on those castle photos that made their way around before the game's release) and its just hard for me to understand why considering how long this got to sit in the oven

Don't forget the old picture with the Crab people. All we got in the game was tunnel where we didn't even fight them, just talk to one of them and add it as a friend.

Jito

Banned
So I'm at 15 hours played now and still going? I wanted to join in with the angry mob complaining about the length RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE.

Sorian

Banned
Or that the
mall was never accessible. Or that the crab people were represented by a single, very missable, character and that invasion the guy promised...
DLC maybe?

Don't forget the old picture with the Crab people. All we got in the game was tunnel where we didn't even fight them, just talk to one of them and add it as a friend.

Oh yeah, I know there are tons of stuff we can point to that were oddly missing from the game, I was just pointing to the big example that they probably can't add in as DLC unless they want to make it so that you don't control New Kid in the DLC.

Megasoum

Banned
So what is the point of the different classes exactly? I'm playing a mage but I think that so far (a couple of hours in) I only used magic in combat 2-3 times max.. Heck I'm mostly using range weapons.

Sorian

Banned
So what is the point of the different classes exactly? I'm playing a mage but I think that so far (a couple of hours in) I only used magic in combat 2-3 times max.. Heck I'm mostly using range weapons.

The classes are just there to differenciate the class specific armor you get at certain parts in the game and the special attacks you have, I did think it was kind of lame, originally, that any class could equip anything but by the end, I realized it didn't matter because your special attacks really should be your bread and butter throughout the game anyway, as awesome as some of the weapons are, your PP moves nail in those status effects pretty good and usually to multiple opponents.

CrazyDude

Oh yeah, I know there are tons of stuff we can point to that were oddly missing from the game, I was just pointing to the big example that they probably can't add in as DLC unless they want to make it so that you don't control New Kid in the DLC.

Trey Parker already said he is not going allow cut content to go in as dlc, he said he'll just use it for the show.

Sorian

Banned
Trey Parker already said he is not going allow cut content to go in as dlc, he said he'll just use it for the show.

I doubt we will see anything I was just talking about. I bet the cut stuff he was referring to was the Black Friday trilogy. Maybe not the main PS4 vs. Xbone thing but I'm sure a lot of the set pieces they had fun with in the episode were ideas for that game at some point.

When you have essentially two people writing everything and all of that writing is worthwhile then yes i think the fact that this is 2-3 seasons worth of South Park is fair.

I highly doubt just two people wrote every single line in this game. They probably wrote the majority of the major interactions and read and approved a lot of the filler.

I could be wrong about that, but even if I was I think 2-3 seasons is not a correct comparison because many hours of the game are spent battling, wandering, figuring out puzzles, etc. where there is no dialog, dialog that is reused, or little at all.

If the $60 steak was better I wouldn't rate it lower than the cheaper steak just because it came with extra and was bigger. What if half of the cheaper steak was fat, or filler like in a lot of rpgs?

You clearly said if this game was $30 dollars then it would but a 9 or 10 but at full price it's a 6.5 or 7. Spending $30 extra dollars doesn't mean I'm going to enjoy the game less. I don't want reviewers reviewing the price of a game I'd rather them review the quality.

So price should have no factor? You think people don't take into consideration the extra $100 they have to spend to get the XBONE over the PS4?

You simply cannot take price out of the equation just because it's an experience/art/game whatever. Bottom line, it's a product people are paying for.

I don't think this game is better at the end of the day than other titles I've paid full price for day one on a current console, by the way. Even when you do disregard price, it's still short and will offer me less entertainment in the long run and what is does offer is only on par with those other games.

erawsd

The pirates just came out of nowhere really. I didn't really understand that.

The presence of the Federation/Star Trek kids is justified if you do the iPad sidequest.

Neither faction would really be that reluctant to join anyhow though - at least not in the same way that the Goths or girls would be.

Yeah, I don't know if I'd call those the most obvious cuts.

For me, I think the strangest part was the way Randy + Mr. Slave just abruptly show up in Clyde's tower. It felt like that was suppose to happen somewhere else. Like we should have taken out Clyde and then had the showdown with the government.

Who knows though, they were making fun of how convoluted/stupid RPGs become in those final moments, so maybe that was intentional too.

Nose Master

The
Skyrim
references already feel dated. They didn't really do anything with them either, just
"You're the Dovahkiin!"
Referencing something else without like, making a joke about it is sort of the laziest form of comedy.

Dario ff

Banned
The
Skyrim
references already feel dated. They didn't really do anything with them either, just
"You're the Dovahkiin!"
Referencing something else without like, making a joke about it is sort of the laziest form of comedy.
I think it's more like kids taking "cool" terms they heard from videogames and just merging them in their own "game". I always did that all the time as a kid with my friends.

Sorian

Banned
I think it's more like kids taking "cool" terms they heard from videogames and just merging them in their own "game". I always did that all the time as a kid with my friends.

You'd have to be at the end of the game but that isn't really the case here.

Mindlog

I strongly dislike genre dogma.

Just more fuel to the fire that RPG is becoming a loaded term with too much dead weight. I'm still looking forward to several CRPG revival games (PE/Divinity,) but it's good to see games evolve. There's no reason for every game to be unnecessarily tied to tradition. Very happy with the length of the game. No filler.
So price should have no factor? You think people don't take into consideration the extra $100 they have to spend to get the XBONE over the PS4?
That just boils down to whether you think reviews measure quality or value.

I prefer a quality assessment. Let me be the judge of value.
*More on point because Metacritic sucks. Publishers use reviews to measure Quality and devalue developers.
84 :\

Finished the main quest last night along with a decent amount of sidequests. I spent ~14 hours playing. The game is extremely good. The little details are amazingly well done and the writing overall is great.

Not sure if spoiler, so to be safe:
The Facebook system can be absolutely hilarious when someone posts something and certain people like it. That definitely got a laugh out of me more than once.

I highly doubt just two people wrote every single line in this game. They probably wrote the majority of the major interactions and read and approved a lot of the filler.

I could be wrong about that, but even if I was I think 2-3 seasons is not a correct comparison because many hours of the game are spent battling, wandering, figuring out puzzles, etc. where there is no dialog, dialog that is reused, or little at all.

You simply cannot take price out of the equation just because it's an experience/art/game whatever. Bottom line, it's a product people are paying for.

I don't think this game is better at the end of the day than other titles I've paid full price for day one on a current console, by the way. Even when you do disregard price, it's still short and will offer me less entertainment in the long run and what is does offer is only on par with those other games.

I never had a problem with your opinion of the game and I didn't say price shouldn't matter. I said it shouldn't effect a review score and it definitely shouldn't. A game rated 7 to me will be rated 7 no matter the cost. You are the one that said you docked a game points because of the price. Price should effect your purchasing decisions but it should never have an impact on a review. Should reviewers go back and give FF13 better scores now that it's cheaper? Should Chrono Trigger, SMRPG, Earthbound, etc have gotten horrible review scores because they were full priced short RPGs? If you didn't enjoy the game that's fine but the game being $30 cheaper isn't going to automatically make it better.

That's one of the reasons I hope to see an expansion for Stick of Truth. Add in all the stuff we lost and maybe give us another class or party member.

epmode

Nope, that's a bug. You're supposed to see your character waking up in bed. Best thing to do is reload an actual save, not the checkpoint.

So I went back to my manual save from 2 hours ago, played up to and through the
UFO
again but the game is still bugging out after the boss. I'm out of ideas. Am I stuck until Obsidian patches the game?

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
You make it sound like the funny is only in the cutscenes or select dialogue. From what ive seen everything.. combat, exploration, item descriptions, music, sound.. all of it is absolutely drenched in humor.

CassSept

Finished it. It's the best licensed game in... forever. Obsidian did an amazing job, an impossible even. It does so great job of being an adaptation of South Park. It's basically an actual South Park >The Game<.

It's not perfect, of course. Combat could use some tweaking, by the end I were so ridiculously overpowered. Just apply bleed with a fast thrown weapon that jumps between enemies maybe use Plagues of Egypt to set up debuffs. Then I used Kyle with his special abilities and buffs. Boom. Everything was basically dead within 2 weapons. With my welee weapon I were doing 20-25k hits. The only enemies that survived the first round were bosses and even these (sans final boss) took less than a minute (
which made Chef very anti-climactic
). It was quite fun, but abrupt and fell flat.

Though, all in all, I never found fighting Nazis boring. Their soundbites were too hilarious.

Steam shows it took me 14 hours, in reality probably more like 13 due to idling. I did almost everything there is, the entire main quest, all sidequests and most of collectables. Which really made me feel down and discouraged from finishing 100%
because I missed exactly one missable Chinpokomon. Shit. I have 27 Chinpokomon, 114 friends and I believe most of equipment. Maybe I'll go back to try find missing friends, but that one single Chinpokomon on Alien Ship that I didn't notice, hell. So much for 100% completion.

Still, amazing game, I've already recommended it to several of my friends. Fantastic game. Incredible. So true to the show, I can't believe they nailed it. It might not be the best game ever, but it's the perfect adaptation possible. Though I found some omissions weird (
no Scott Tenorman? Where's Let's Fighting Love?
). But all in all, a great experience and the best South Park story in years.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
Finished it. It's the best licensed game in... forever. Obsidian did an amazing job, an impossible even. It does so great job of being an adaptation of South Park. It's basically an actual South Park >The Game<.

It's not perfect, of course. Combat could use some tweaking, by the end I were so ridiculously overpowered. Just apply bleed with a fast thrown weapon that jumps between enemies maybe use Plagues of Egypt to set up debuffs. Then I used Kyle with his special abilities and buffs. Boom. Everything was basically dead within 2 weapons. With my welee weapon I were doing 20-25k hits. The only enemies that survived the first round were bosses and even these (sans final boss) took less than a minute (
which made Chef very anti-climactic
). It was quite fun, but abrupt and fell flat.

Though, all in all, I never found fighting Nazis boring. Their soundbites were too hilarious.

Steam shows it took me 14 hours, in reality probably more like 13 due to idling. I did almost everything there is, the entire main quest, all sidequests and most of collectables. Which really made me feel down and discouraged from finishing 100%
because I missed exactly one missable Chinpokomon. Shit. I have 27 Chinpokomon, 114 friends and I believe most of equipment. Maybe I'll go back to try find missing friends, but that one single Chinpokomon on Alien Ship that I didn't notice, hell. So much for 100% completion.

Still, amazing game, I've already recommended it to several of my friends. Fantastic game. Incredible. So true to the show, I can't believe they nailed it. It might not be the best game ever, but it's the perfect adaptation possible. Though I found some omissions weird (
no Scott Tenorman? Where's Let's Fighting Love?
). But all in all, a great experience and the best South Park story in years.

heard
lets fighting love while in the bank so its in there

Sorian

Banned

To do with 100% completion:
No matter what, you will be missing a friend as well, the Chinpokomon company will only friend you if you find all 30 of them

CassSept

To do with 100% completion:
No matter what, you will be missing a friend as well, the Chinpokomon company will only friend you if you find all 30 of them

Yeah
I looked at friendlist and it's there. Where hell. Maybe one day. Kinda stupid that there is a Chinpokomon there and that it doesn't appear anywhere else. Weak.

Weeeeaaaaaak.

Sorian

Banned
Yeah
I looked at friendlist and it's there. Where hell. Maybe one day. Kinda stupid that there is a Chinpokomon there and that it doesn't appear anywhere else. Weak.

Weeeeaaaaaak.

You know what's weak?
There are actually 121 friends in the game, not 120. You have to friend Clyde at the beginning of the game before choosing your class, after the tutorial battles and Cartman banishes him, he unfriends you which removes his number from your list but you have to trigger the flag of him being your friend to unlock the achievement for all friends

rjinaz

Not sure if spoiler, so to be safe:
The Facebook system can be absolutely hilarious when someone posts something and certain people like it. That definitely got a laugh out of me more than once.

Like when Stan
(or was it Kyle?) hacked Cartman's FB account? Ha yeah that gave me a laugh.

DedValve

Banned
Thats double weak.

WIsh there were more FB posts, they are so entertaining. The great thing about this game is that his has so many years of history but still has so many omissions. I hope to god this game sells well so we can get the superhero sequel we deserve.

Mondy

Banned
So I went back to my manual save from 2 hours ago, played up to and through the
UFO
again but the game is still bugging out after the boss. I'm out of ideas. Am I stuck until Obsidian patches the game?

That really sucks man. I never encountered any problems at that section playing the PS3 version which is widely believed to be the version with the most issues.

LAM09

That really sucks man. I never encountered any problems at that section playing the PS3 version which is widely believed to be the version with the most issues.

Have you encountered any issues on the PS3 version, apart from the ones already mentioned?

Mondy

Banned
Have you encountered any issues on the PS3 version, apart from the ones already mentioned?

One, at the very beginning of the game during the tutorial battle sequences, during the training for counter attacks. Sometimes the game can get locked up after you deliver the counter attack blow when Cartman is supposed to give you a new instruction. Reloading the latest checkpoint fixed it.

That, coupled with the much publicized stuttering when checkpoints are saving are all that I've experienced. Certainly the least buggy experience from Obsidian that I've ever played.

What's the download size of this? Going to be getting my new desktop in next two weeks, going to be first game I get off Steam, but got shitty net speed in India so wondering

LAM09

One, at the very beginning of the game during the tutorial battle sequences, during the training for counter attacks. Sometimes the game can get locked up after you deliver the counter attack blow when Cartman is supposed to give you a new instruction. Reloading the latest checkpoint fixed it.

That, coupled with the much publicized stuttering when checkpoints are saving are all that I've experienced. Certainly the least buggy experience from Obsidian that I've ever played.

It seems like there isn't anything gamebreaking present, which is good to know.

Mondy

Banned
It seems like there isn't anything gamebreaking present, which is good to know.

Not from my experience, but there have been reports of game breaking bugs like the one we were talking about earlier in this thread on the various platforms. It seems to be a very random issue.

epmode

As it turns out, the glitch was my fault. I deleted several video files, assuming that all of the 000* files were part of the logos that play every time the game launches. One of those files, 000_newday.bk2 is required for the next day to start properly.

Everything worked fine once I restored the non-intro files.

Aside from that glitch (which was my fault), the PC version has been very stable. I haven't noticed any problems.

On the topic of bugs.. on day two and I've seen one.
I was in the bit where Ike/the Kindergarten's hang out (the park by the basketball thing) and I climbed the ladder to the top of his pirate ship type thing... Kenny.. who was my buddy at the time climbed up too, and I was unable to move or do anything other than look at inventory.. luckily I was able to save and go back to a check point!

Sorian

Banned
On the topic of bugs.. on day two and I've seen one.
I was in the bit where Ike/the Kindergarten's hang out (the park by the basketball thing) and I climbed the ladder to the top of his pirate ship type thing... Kenny.. who was my buddy at the time climbed up too, and I was unable to move or do anything other than look at inventory.. luckily I was able to save and go back to a check point!

I'd assume switching buddy would have worked?

GuessWho

Holy crap at the
Al Gore
boss fight.... First time I actually died in the game.

I don't know why but beat him on the first try. I played as a Jew, and the dreidel of doom or whatever it's called was very useful. Also speed potions are severely OP.

Mondy

Banned
As it turns out, the glitch was my fault. I deleted several video files, assuming that all of the 000* files were part of the logos that play every time the game launches. One of those files, 000_newday.bk2 is required for the next day to start properly.

Everything worked fine once I restored the non-intro files.

Aside from that glitch (which was my fault), the PC version has been very stable. I haven't noticed any problems.

Why did you delete the movie files?

LiK

Holy crap at the
Al Gore
boss fight.... First time I actually died in the game.

i died a few times to him too. I was a Fighter and I was taking a lot of damage from his guys. Managed to beat him after a few tries. Probably the toughest boss in the whole game, imo.

Why did you delete the movie files?

yea, there were only like two logos. no need to delete them.

Top Bottom