• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park: The Stick of Truth |OT| Bigger, Longer, and Uncut (In select regions)

Mondy

Banned
WTF? I just found out why I can't hear the
nazi zombies.
They've fucked censored it. All the speech from them. What the fuck? I'm in Australia, not Germany why the hell is it censored? As soon as one character turned into one in a cutscene it immediately muted his speech and ONLY his speech. Are you fucking kidding me? Please tell me this is a really weird bug because if it isn't, oh my god Ubisoft.

How do you know they censored it? If they did, it would suggest Australia got lumped with the European censored one on top of the
Anal probing stuff.

Beat it over the week. These things have probably already been mentioned. I spent the first few hours exploring the whole town before I even finished the first main quest. Eventually beat all the side quests and game over 2 days. Don't know the game time but that's not important. As far as South Park it's everything you would want it to be.

There were some problems (PS3) that were irking me by the end. The stuttering/slow down after walking into the next screen. There's also a lot of loading screens. It was annoying. Sometimes the slowdown would fuck up my timing as you would walk into a new screen and try to whack an enemy right in front of you because of stuttering.

I was hesitant by the end to start a new game for trophies and play a different class.

My other concerns aren't legit but about the trophies.

End game, still need to buy weapons and equipment for trophy. Is there an easy way to get money or do you have to grind? Fighting those wolves are so frustrating fuck call of the wild.

Farm
Canada.
And if you have already got the Hoarder trophy, sell anything that you have that isn't a weapon and costume. Patches, consumables, junk. Anything that isn't mandatory for the trophy, which is indicated in the collectables section of the menu. Alter the difficulty to casual so the need for health packs and other consumables is minimized and make liberal use of Bleeding to kill enemies quickly.

I have to do this trophy now along with Chinpokomon and it is a massive pain in the arse because of the missable items. The Save games will be getting a nice workout.

Is the No Child Left Behind Trophy glitched for anyone else? I could've sworn I pulled it off in my first playthrough unless ending a battle while Kenny is dead counts against you.

A 6.5 or 7 seems kind of harsh. Games costs $60, that is just how it is for new games that are not mobile or handheld. Most of the games share the same length of time. That fact that this is an RPG I don't think is relevant. What is relevant is, did you get as much out of the game as you do any other game you pay $60 for. The answer to me is an astounding hell yeah! I had fun with this game and it made me laugh a lot. What else can you really expect from a game? Maybe you didn't have the same experience as I did which is certainly possible.

By the way, personally I feel no game should cost $60 but I'm not going to fault a game because it does.

My answer to that would be a resounding no, because I never buy those $60 games that provide 6-12 hours of gameplay and have no multiplayer while they're still at the original price.

This is the first time in years, probably a decade, that I have done so because I enjoyed the show so much in the past during the golden years and felt this game had a chance to rekindle that feeling. It did to a large degree, so as mentioned I did enjoy the game. I do think it's realistic to expect more considering the circumstances surrounding the development.

Beat it over the week. These things have probably already been mentioned. I spent the first few hours exploring the whole town before I even finished the first main quest. Eventually beat all the side quests and game over 2 days. Don't know the game time but that's not important. As far as South Park it's everything you would want it to be.

There were some problems (PS3) that were irking me by the end. The stuttering/slow down after walking into the next screen. There's also a lot of loading screens. It was annoying. Sometimes the slowdown would fuck up my timing as you would walk into a new screen and try to whack an enemy right in front of you because of stuttering.

I was hesitant by the end to start a new game for trophies and play a different class.

My other concerns aren't legit but about the trophies.

End game, still need to buy weapons and equipment for trophy. Is there an easy way to get money or do you have to grind? Fighting those wolves are so frustrating fuck call of the wild.

It might be faster to get money fighting enemies in Canada.

With the development time they had, the hundreds of hours of material they had to draw inspiration from, direct access to the creators of said material, the fact that this is such a small, simple game with a $60 price tag is crazy to me.

As a $30 game, this is a 9 or a 10. As a $60 game, I feel like I can't justify more than a 6.5 or 7.

From what I've been reading, you all enjoy the game quite a bit as well and I'm sure you're going to jump down my throat over this post, but I beat the game early yesterday and can't shake this feeling that while the game is great, it's way too short/limited and we could have had so much more.

Your opinion actually seems to be pretty common, from what I've read and heard from other people. At least one of my friends isn't buying it until it's on sale because he doesn't think it's worth $60 for a 13-hour RPG. That's a fair opinion, I think; his reasoning was you could buy plenty of RPGs that offer far more content for that price, and that's definitely true. Even Obsidian themselves have titles in their back catalog that qualify, like Fallout: New Vegas.

Personally, after going back to Final Fantasy XIII-2 (the game I put on hold to play South Park), it's a little bit harder for me to think that way. The two games are, of course, very very different, but my guess is that 80+ hours of XIII-2 will not add up to the same experience I got out of 13 hours of South Park. Having Stone and Parker write the game really reveals how awful storytelling is in most other games. There's a real understanding of who the characters are and what story they want to tell that I find I want more of in video games. Many of the RPGs I ended up liking were shorter ones--Tales of Vesperia, Valkyria Chronicles and Resonance of Fate were all under 40 hours. Arguably none of those games does nearly as good a job with their stories as Stick of Truth did, and Stick of Truth managed to largely eliminate the need to grind out levels endlessly.

If you really think about it, 13 hours is basically a season or two of South Park, even when you take out the time you spend in battles and whatnot. That's a lot of writing and animating that has to happen, on top of the game design and programming and THQ's bullshit and the Ubisoft takeover and Stone and Parker originally wanting an even bigger game. I don't know if we could've gotten an amazing 50-hour South Park RPG that maintains the high level of quality we got out of Stick of Truth, but I'm guessing it wasn't really on the cards.

(An aside: I will note that I bought this game for about $45, not $60, thanks to Green Man Gaming coupons and store credit. I actually don't remember offhand the last time I paid $60 MSRP for a game.)

Sorian

Banned
Is the No Child Left Behind Trophy glitched for anyone else? I could've sworn I pulled it off in my first playthrough unless ending a battle while Kenny is dead counts against you.

Of course that counts against you, why wouldn't it?

Darklord

Banned
How do you know they censored it? If they did, it would suggest Australia got lumped with the European censored one on top of the
Anal probing stuff.

Only the Austrian and Germany versions should have had that stuff censored though. All they said were a few scenes were cut and mini-games. This is straight up muted dialog.

A 6.5 or 7 seems kind of harsh. Games costs $60, that is just how it is for new games that are not mobile or handheld. Most of the games share the same length of time. That fact that this is an RPG I don't think is relevant. What is relevant is, did you get as much out of the game as you do any other game you pay $60 for. The answer to me is an astounding hell yeah! I had fun with this game and it made me laugh a lot. What else can you really expect from a game? Maybe you didn't have the same experience as I did which is certainly possible.

By the way, personally I feel no game should cost $60 but I'm not going to fault a game because it does.

Your opinion actually seems to be pretty common, from what I've read and heard from other people. At least one of my friends isn't buying it until it's on sale because he doesn't think it's worth $60 for a 13-hour RPG. That's a fair opinion, I think; his reasoning was you could buy plenty of RPGs that offer far more content for that price, and that's definitely true. Even Obsidian themselves have titles in their back catalog that qualify, like Fallout: New Vegas.

Personally, after going back to Final Fantasy XIII-2 (the game I put on hold to play South Park), it's a little bit harder for me to think that way. The two games are, of course, very very different, but my guess is that 80+ hours of XIII-2 will not add up to the same experience I got out of 13 hours of South Park. Having Stone and Parker write the game really reveals how awful storytelling is in most other games. There's a real understanding of who the characters are and what story they want to tell that I find I want more of in video games. Many of the RPGs I ended up liking were shorter ones--Tales of Vesperia, Valkyria Chronicles and Resonance of Fate were all under 40 hours. Arguably none of those games does nearly as good a job with their stories as Stick of Truth did, and Stick of Truth managed to largely eliminate the need to grind out levels endlessly.

If you really think about it, 13 hours is basically a season or two of South Park, even when you take out the time you spend in battles and whatnot. That's a lot of writing and animating that has to happen, on top of the game design and programming and THQ's bullshit and the Ubisoft takeover and Stone and Parker originally wanting an even bigger game. I don't know if we could've gotten an amazing 50-hour South Park RPG that maintains the high level of quality we got out of Stick of Truth, but I'm guessing it wasn't really on the cards.

(An aside: I will note that I bought this game for about $45, not $60, thanks to Green Man Gaming coupons and store credit. I actually don't remember offhand the last time I paid $60 MSRP for a game.)

I see what you're saying, but we can't equate the production of a season of South Park to this game. It's a fundamentally different process.

I see what you mean about enjoying shorter RPGs. I mean, my favorite of all time will probably forever be Chrono Trigger, but the thing is the shorter games make you feel like you have taken part in something epic. This one feels like you had a fun weekend.

I guess because
he gets taken away by rats and is unrevivable for two? turns and maybe that would be seen as different.
But I agree, of course that would count.

Vaguely related: I didn't realize that would happen until
the Al Gore fight, so I have no idea if it's actually two turns because Al Gore fucked me up real good on the next turn. Fucking Al Gore.

LAM09

So hard reading this forum. Still waiting for my imported copy, and it seems most people are having a blast with it. Looking forward to finally playing it.

FHIZ

Only the Austrian and Germany versions should have had that stuff censored though. All they said were a few scenes were cut and mini-games. This is straight up muted dialog.

I had a few battles where there was some audio missing, but it was just music and fixed itself in the next battle or so.

Maybe they did censor it, because
the zombie audio is literally just sound bites from Hitler speeches.

Sorian

Banned
That's sortof bullshit, because all it takes for Kenny to die is fucking up his Unicorn move once then he's dead, and you can't revive him with a taco.

And then he just
revives the next turn anyway
The real answer here is just never use that crap move, the rats move is infinitely better and almost impossible to screw up.

_DrMario_

I must have been lucky with bugs cause I beat the game 2 times and the only bug I got was that my character disappeared in one cutscene.

Played on PC.

I see what you're saying, but we can't equate the production of a season of South Park to this game. It's a fundamentally different process.

I see what you mean about enjoying shorter RPGs. I mean, my favorite of all time will probably forever be Chrono Trigger, but the thing is the shorter games make you feel like you have taken part in something epic. This one feels like you had a fun weekend.

Oh, no, of course not, I didn't mean to say they were exactly the same or anything. But at a minimum, even if you take away all the game production stuff (which isn't nothing on its own!), Stone and Parker have to write a hell of a lot of material, the voice actors have to record a ton of dialogue, and all of that has to get into the game somehow. I wouldn't be surprised if there ended up being a season's worth of dialogue in the game, though I'm not exactly a reliable estimator of how game dialogue translates into TV dialogue or anything. It definitely feels like more than the Black Friday trilogy, at least.

The epic thing I actually don't care that much about, as one of my favourite series is the Atelier franchise, which definitely are not epic save-the-world JRPGs. South Park I thought was a neat balance between feeling kind of epic (there are some pretty hilarious setpieces in there) and also literally being, like you said, a fun weekend.
On a school week, I guess, so maybe not LITERALLY literally, but close enough.
But you're right, I can see how it might not feel like the scope was big enough--there's definitely more they could do with the story they laid out.

Mondy

Banned
I dunno what it is about
Al Gore
that everyone says is so difficult. I was playing on Hardcore and I fucked him up without dying once. In fact usually, the only times where I did Game Over in this game were when I was screwing around trying to do something else, like the Avenger trophy.

I just finish the game and the game was awesome . No bug on PS3
I am going to do the side missions now but the game is too short for a RPG

I dunno what it is about
Al Gore
that everyone says is so difficult. I was playing on Hardcore and I fucked him up without dying once. In fact usually, the only times where I did Game Over in this game were when I was screwing around trying to do something else, like the Avenger trophy.

I didn't realize the guy with the grenades was the main problem the first time I fought him.

Those things wiped me before I could respond.

Sorian

Banned
I dunno what it is about
Al Gore

My only issue is because I did the quest so early, it was the first time I ran into heavily armored opponents and I didn't know what a good counter was. Luckily, the jew had just gotten to the level where I could use the plague move and I learned that nothing fucks with you when you throw meteors at it.

I dunno what it is about
Al Gore

I didn't find him difficult either lol. I just focused on getting rid of him first with ranged attacks and then took care of
the secret service.

I've tried the
clyde fight
3 times now, and everytime the menu has bugged, and i cant move it. so i cant heal, can't use any move except normal attack.
what the fuck. this game is so buggy.. :(

lunchtoast

Because Kenny can't die.

Boy I hope somebody really got fired for that blunder.

Oh, before you enter
Mr. Slave
, was Kyle talking but not hearing anything for anyone? I could hear everyone else talking but not him.

epmode

I think my game is broken. I just finished the (Day 2 spoiler)
UFO section and the ship crashed. The cutscene plays where the guy gets a phone call, I get a loading screen and the game opens to a shot of someone's room but doesn't continue.

I tried waiting for a minute, holding B but nothing works. Reloading the checkpoint before the UFO boss doesn't help either, it just gets stuck in the same place.

Am I missing something really stupid?

I'm on the PC version.

Mondy

Banned
I think my game is broken. I just finished the (Day 2 spoiler)
UFO section and the ship crashed. The cutscene plays where the guy gets a phone call, I get a loading screen and the game opens to a shot of someone's room but doesn't continue.

I tried waiting for a minute, holding B but nothing works. Reloading the checkpoint before the UFO boss doesn't help either, it just gets stuck in the same place.

Am I missing something really stupid?

I'm on the PC version.

Nope, that's a bug. You're supposed to see your character waking up in bed. Best thing to do is reload an actual save, not the checkpoint.

epmode

Nope, that's a bug. You're supposed to see your character waking up in bed. Best thing to do is reload an actual save, not the checkpoint.

Christ. I haven't been keeping many manual saves. I'm going to lose two hours to this unless one of the three UFO checkpoints works correctly.

edit: The earlier checkpoints aren't working. Does anyone know the trigger for this bug or am I out of luck?

Just finished the game. Favorite parts had to be
CANADA (as soon as the world map appeared I lost it. Lost it I did eh.), the entirety of Clyde's castle (that Kenny fight was epic with the other party members), and the Underpants Gnomes part and Mr. Slaves ass if just for the uncontrollable laughter I had.
All in all this game was a masterpiece. You couldn't ask for a better South Park game. I rolled Thief and it was a fun class, backstab was the shit especially when you leveled it up. In battle all I had to do when facing multiple enemies was backstab the back lines, then attack the front lines while the ones in the back suffered bleeding damage and eventually died on their own. And if it was a boss? Keep backstabbing because they stack up (up to 5, I think) and the damage increased each time.

Best teammate? I would have to say Butters. With his Professor Chaos you could either deal damage, life drain, or get super armor buffs. And Butters' lightning attack was super useful, I noticed throughout the game you had more enemies that were in rows than in a line so that attack helped out a LOT. Plus his Paladin bonus holy damage came through later in the game quite a bit.

I only wish the Woodland Critters played a much bigger part :( or at least them being a summon!

Other than the slowdown while autosaving and entering new areas, the only other thing I noticed was
while I was in Canada, when I killed the Bishop, after I chose to save him the game started stuttering really bad. I mean, getting his friend request, the mission clear prompt, the experience prompt, were all stuttering and super slow and moving was damn near impossible.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
When did 11 hours for a game become "very short"? That seems about the norm for most games. Is it just because people expect more from an RPG?

Obsidian should have just lowered the movement rate, removed run, or tripled the encounter rate while lowering the experience gains.

I finished it under that and did all but one side quest.

So, here's the deal...I loved this game. It was fantastic start to finish, and whenever I felt it was a little on the tame side it got crazier and crazier. It was a lot of fun mechanically, even though the farting and commands with L2/R2 can be clunky. The difficulty was lacking, but I don't really think it ruined the experience.

A few sequences were downright hilarious, like
The underpants gnomes sequence, Princess Kenny's themesong battle, the abortion clinic, and the fight with Shelly.

At the end of the day though, this feels more like high-end PSN/XBL game than a full release to me.

As mentioned, it's short. REALLY short for an RPG. It is also not that replayable. The classes do not offer anything unique in terms of core gameplay, just spells that produce generally the same results with different animations/gimmicks.

This is disappointing because the South Park universe is so massive. There were many fun cameos but most of the characters and events are referenced through quickly passed moments or junk collection instead of real opportunities to tie into the game play with sidequests (which are far too few and plain).

The town itself is surprisingly small. In reality, it's about the size of two or three JRPG villages with around five "dungeons".

It's also unforgivably buggy. I experienced game-breaking glitches FOUR TIMES during my adventure. There is extreme slowdown in several sections. Let's be honest - these graphics are endearing and true to the show, but this is a very simple game all around. Obsidian has proven once again that they can't program for shit. Every single game I have ever played from their catalog has crashed multiple times and produced several other headaches that never cleared up. This is no exception.

With the development time they had, the hundreds of hours of material they had to draw inspiration from, direct access to the creators of said material, the fact that this is such a small, simple game with a $60 price tag is crazy to me.

As a $30 game, this is a 9 or a 10. As a $60 game, I feel like I can't justify more than a 6.5 or 7.

From what I've been reading, you all enjoy the game quite a bit as well and I'm sure you're going to jump down my throat over this post, but I beat the game early yesterday and can't shake this feeling that while the game is great, it's way too short/limited and we could have had so much more.

No, I had the same experience. Combat in this game is pretty silly, you just exploit the really OP stuff every battle.

I have nothing wrong with your opinion but I just can't understand the bold part. Out of all the components of a game, gameplay, story, etc., price is the biggest measure of quality? I really hope real reviewers aren't like this.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
11 hours for an RPG is insanely short.
It depends on the content. If there is little content to appropriately match the length of a game then there is a problem. i havent really seen anyone go "i got to the end and thats it?" or that the ending snuck up on them and they are unsatisfied.

Also i dont think this game is going to be one with little replay value. i re-experience movies/games/books that i find funny more than any other genre. Comedy lends itself well to revisits.

This is the problem with sticking games into genres. 11 hours is perfectly fine for a retail game these days.

This is not a AAA title. This is a South Park game. The development needed to put this out the door is far beneath games like Mass Effect, Bioshock, Assassin's Creed, etc.

It cannot and should not be compared to them in terms of genre OR dev tier.

And before someone says "oh but they had to write a season's worth of dialog!" or something like that, please think about how much writing goes into the titles mentioned and adjust your sense of reality.

I have nothing wrong with your opinion but I just can't understand the bold part. Out of all the components of a game, gameplay, story, etc., price is the biggest measure of quality? I really hope real reviewers aren't like this.

I didn't say it was the biggest.

So tell me this, if you go out to eat and they charge you $60 for a tiny steak that happens to taste really good, but there are plenty of other steaks you've had in your life that not only taste as good but are much bigger and include better and more sides as well, do you ignore that?

By the way, saying "I really hope real reviewers aren't like this" is pretty condescending. It makes me not want to address your original concern, which I did politely anyways.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Aaaaaaannnnd DONE. What a crazy, awesome game. Crushed it on Hardcore mode, though. I really do wish they'd balanced it better.

Sorian

Banned
It depends on the content. If there is little content to appropriately match the length of a game then there is a problem. i havent really seen anyone go "i got to the end and thats it?" or that the ending snuck up on them and they are unsatisfied.

Also i dont think this game is going to be one with little replay value. i re-experience movies/games/books that i find funny more than any other genre. Comedy lends itself well to revisits.

Well, to be fair, once you get to the end of the game, you can gauge exactly what was cut content and its obvious there was at least a good nother hour or so of content that could have been in the game easily and was taken away for no real reason.

Im a huge South Park fan and and all but if this game was 10 hours longer I would have been pretty burnt out. Its a good length as it is.

I definitely think they could have pulled it off by finding interesting uses for the traversing mechanics and well written sequences.

I would have easily enjoyed a 20-30 hour game like that.

border

Well, to be fair, once you get to the end of the game, you can gauge exactly what was cut content and its obvious there was at least a good nother hour or so of content that could have been in the game easily and was taken away for no real reason.

I guess I'm oblivious then. What is in the extra hour of content that was obviously cut?

Sorian

Banned
I guess I'm oblivious then. What is in the extra hour of content that was obviously cut?

You didn't think it was odd that
you had no hand in recruiting the pirates and federation and Kyle just hand-waved it off with an "oh yeah, I got them to join up with us"

border

You didn't think it was odd that
you had no hand in recruiting the pirates and federation and Kyle just hand-waved it off with an "oh yeah, I got them to join up with us"

The pirates just came out of nowhere really. I didn't really understand that.

The presence of the Federation/Star Trek kids is justified if you do the iPad sidequest.

Neither faction would really be that reluctant to join anyhow though - at least not in the same way that the Goths or girls would be.

This is not a AAA title. This is a South Park game. The development needed to put this out the door is far beneath games like Mass Effect, Bioshock, Assassin's Creed, etc.

It cannot and should not be compared to them in terms of genre OR dev tier.

And before someone says "oh but they had to write a season's worth of dialog!" or something like that, please think about how much writing goes into the titles mentioned and adjust your sense of reality.

I didn't say it was the biggest.

So tell me this, if you go out to eat and they charge you $60 for a tiny steak that happens to taste really good, but there are plenty of other steaks you've had in your life that not only taste as good but are much bigger and include better and more sides as well, do you ignore that?

By the way, saying "I really hope real reviewers aren't like this" is pretty condescending. It makes me not want to address your original concern, which I did politely anyways.

If the $60 steak was better I wouldn't rate it lower than the cheaper steak just because it came with extra and was bigger. What if half of the cheaper steak was fat, or filler like in a lot of rpgs?

You clearly said if this game was $30 dollars then it would but a 9 or 10 but at full price it's a 6.5 or 7. Spending $30 extra dollars doesn't mean I'm going to enjoy the game less. I don't want reviewers reviewing the price of a game I'd rather them review the quality.

Sorian

Banned
The pirates just came out of nowhere really. I didn't really understand that.

The presence of the Federation/Star Trek kids is justified if you do the iPad sidequest.

Neither faction would really be that reluctant to join anyhow though - at least not in the same way that the Goths or girls would be.

The presence of both can be justified, Ike is obviously head of the pirates so Kyle wouldn't have much issue recruiting them, the point still stands though that in a story (especially a game that pokes fun at its RPG source material), the main character ends up having a huge hand in almost everything that is going on and you had been everyone's lackey in the game thus far when suddenly Kyle basically tells you not to worry about it, he'll recruit 2 out of the 3 factions we need. Pretty obvious that stuff ended up on the cutting room floor (same with a Goth recruitment quest based on those castle photos that made their way around before the game's release) and its just hard for me to understand why considering how long this got to sit in the oven

Top Bottom