• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park: The Stick of Truth |OT| Bigger, Longer, and Uncut (In select regions)

FaintDeftone

I marathoned through the game today and finished it. Overall I really enjoyed pretty much every minute of it and had a blast playing it. The game was way too easy on the normal difficulty though; I breezed right through it. I do hate how they've designed the achievements though because there are WAY too many that are miss-able and require multiple playthroughs to catch. I cleaned up every side quest and every Chinpokomon I could find (that I didn't miss) and only obtained 45% of the trophies.

Trophy complaints aside, I highly recommend the game to anyone, but being a South Park fan certainly helps.

I think I'm at the end of the game, can anyone confirm? I had to save and quit to take care of my puppy for the night.
Just killed Nazi Chef and Princess Kenny betrayed me and ran off.

I actually played through the game and only used 2 or 3 speed potions, if I had used more it would have been even easier for me.

A lot of fights were engaging of course but if you can block well then the game becomes really really easy. I felt like fights didn't last long enough, I would have preferred if damage was toned down across the board so fights lasted longer than 2-3 turns.

Single quickest way I found to break the game... Get a range weapon that hits multiple targets, put as heavy of a bleeding strap-on onto it as you can. Watch as everything bleeds out after their first attack or so. Bonus if the weapon already has a bleed effect, then you can put a gross or fire effect on it instead and stack multiple debuffs at once.

Dr. Kaos

Banned
This game is excellent and quite long. I must have played it for over 20 hours now and I still haven't finished it. Still got a bunch of sidequests too.

Matt and Trey
(and Obsidian)
have done it again.

So I'm really enjoying the game but don't want it to end. How far am I?
I just started day 3 and am going to recruit the girls.

megalowho

Finished this today, really enjoyed it from start to finish. Will probably keep playing a bit to clean up collectibles, easy achievements and just take in all the environments a bit more. They nailed the look and feel of the show - so many little details crammed in there, and probably the most diverse vendor trash list in RPG history. The deep involvement of the creators definitely comes across, everything is authentically South Park.

Love the setup and execution of the concept but the humor might be a little too referential as a whole for my tastes, lots of throwaway jokes that basically amount to "I remember that from the TV show." Even if it's not always hilarious it works as a celebration of the show's history, and there's still plenty of genuinely funny, surprising and gross bits in there.

Think they almost nailed the battle system as well, endgame balance issues aside. Wish there was just a few more really tough encounters, so many possible ways to spec but little reason to do so. A few minor gripes with gameplay too (needing the menu to cycle through party members, spell/ability navigation a little cumbersome, block/perfect cues could use a little more pizazz) but overall it's a hell of a Paper Mario game and an even better South Park one. Hope we get to see another, wouldn't fault them if we didn't.

Quick question. There is some
green goo in the basement of the school that mutates to an enemy that I can't win.
I went on with the game, but now I am curious to defeat it and get whatever I get from it. (Do I get anything?) My question is: can I return to this location at a later in the game?

So I'm really enjoying the game but don't want it to end. How far am I?
I just started day 3 and am going to recruit the girls.

Not too much left, but a lot of the game's best content is still ahead of you.

Quick question. There is some
green goo in the basement of the school that mutates to an enemy that I can't win.
I went on with the game, but now I am curious to defeat it and get whatever I get from it. (Do I get anything?) My question is: can I return to this location at a later in the game?

Yeah, I think so. You can return to certain parts of that location, but not all. I think you can return to
to the basement

Most of the collecting achievements are annoying. Only because some of the items are in places you can't go back to after finishing the level. So if you miss it you have to either hope you saved there, or restart the game.

The most annoying one for me, was the get
all friends
trophy. I had to restart a whole new game because,
I didn't talk to Craig before talking to Cartman before the tutorial
. I was really mad at that one.

I didn't even realize it was possible to talk to Craig before the tutorial. I thought he was just in detention the whole time at the beginning. I guess I missed that one too.

It's cool though. Like I said, I wanted a good reason to do another play through.

I didn't even realize it was possible to talk to Craig before the tutorial. I thought he was just in detention the whole time at the beginning. I guess I missed that one too.

It's cool though. Like I said, I wanted a good reason to do another play through.

I always get Craig and Clyde mixed up, sorry. I meant
talk to Clyde before talking to Cartman for the tutorial
. I missed that and had to replay the game over again to get all the
friends

We had some fucking awful bugs that froze the PS3 and/or forced us to skip plot points. That's not gonna get a free pass from me, yet I can honestly say I want more games like this.

This is one of those games that comes along and shows just how much variety and cleverness can be stuffed into a small package, and it makes you realize how much bloat you've become accustomed to.

If you don't think this game is worth $60, that's your money and your business, but the only thing I'd change would be the difficulty. Everything else about this experience leaves me imagining other great games that could be made of other shows, and I think that speaks I think to how much fun I had.

Some of the vendor trash were such cool relics from the show that I just couldn't sell 'em, despite their lack of use.

It was hard selling those Gamespheres for $3, man

FHIZ

So after beating the game on Saturday... I pretty much played all the way through it again yesterday (technically speaking) up until the final battle. Played a Thief this time...

HOLY SHIT, is backstab OP. Pretty much any boss, a couple of speed potions and backstab, and that's the match.

_hekk05

Banned
So after beating the game on Saturday... I pretty much played all the way through it again yesterday (technically speaking) up until the final battle. Played a Thief this time...

HOLY SHIT, is backstab OP. Pretty much any boss, a couple of speed potions and backstab, and that's the match.

Yea backstab is amazing. With a throwing knife with jagged strapon, you can use 1 speed pot to get almost everyone to 5 stacks of bleeding.

border

I thought that Backstab was good for normal battles, but so many bosses were immune to bleeding that it never felt OP for me.

Timu

Beaten this game's main quest, took 9 hours to do.

Great game and one of the best when it comes to license games.

Now onto the remaining side quests.

krae_man

Cartman's hand drawn map of South Park looks cool framed:

9yNsLB7.jpg

Holy shit did I laugh during this scene: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzIpmCWIYH4 <-obviously Spoiler
I even failed twice and once Randy lost one of its testicle. It hurts.

It's hard to laugh when you're extremely frustrated.

Edit: A training montage would have been 10x funnier and infinitely less frustrating.

It's definitely a joke just like that scene where
you can't skip Jimmy's stuttering. I even thought my game was bugged or something

Jibbed

It's definitely a joke just like that scene where
you can't skip Jimmy's stuttering. I even thought my game was bugged or something

At the farm, yeah? Fuck me that was frustrating haha, I was sat there spamming the spacebar like "COME ON!!!".

Well played, Matt and Trey.

At the farm, yeah? Fuck me that was frustrating haha, I was sat there spamming the spacebar like "COME ON!!!".

Well played, Matt and Trey.

True story: I reloaded my save file twice thinking this was a bug. I just had a weird glitch minutes before were some characters disappeared from the scene, so I said "this is probably related"

Eusis

This is the problem with sticking games into genres. 11 hours is perfectly fine for a retail game these days.
The thing is genres are ostensibly just about shared core gameplay mechanics or at least features, and RPGs generally have the kind of gameplay mechanics that lends itself to going longer. I'm not sure I can fully pinpoint why, but I'd say slower paced gameplay and more of a focus on exploration rather than just beelining to the next objective (which ostensibly exists in more games than just CoD; Mario and many other platformers are technically obstacle course runs to a finish line afterall.) South Park definitely fulfills those criteria to an extent, turn based battles with some QTE-esque mechanics to keep things engaging, South Park and a bit more to run around in, and quests to do in it. And also the fact that by leveling you gradually open up new abilities to try using (or at least progress bars to watch, and get a feel for more power ideally.)

With that said I'd really only be for lengthening the game by like 10 hours maybe so it'd be a 20-30 hour game, any more and I don't think the game can sustain it. But my big point is that what's fine for one kind of game isn't automatically fine for all others, 10 hours for CoD would be wearing, 20 and higher outright madness, while something like Bioshock CAN carry itself for 14, and somehow RE4 works really well for being something like 20 hours, insane for what's mostly a straight shooter... though I guess adventure elements and inventory management help there, aspects that notably got dialed down in the later games that weren't as interesting to me as a result.

EDIT: And this really isn't one of the best targets to complain about games being pushed into genres, it was outright announced as "South Park RPG" then got a finalized name later. It's a fight better spent on games trying to actually break genre definitions and can't easily be pegged as one, not something where they basically went "hey guys an RPG based on South Park would be awesome."

jrcbandit

With that said I'd really only be for lengthening the game by like 10 hours maybe so it'd be a 20-30 hour game, any more and I don't think the game can sustain it. But my big point is that what's fine for one kind of game isn't automatically fine for all others, 10 hours for CoD would be wearing, 20 and higher outright madness, while something like Bioshock CAN carry itself for 14, and somehow RE4 works really well for being something like 20 hours, insane for what's mostly a straight shooter... though I guess adventure elements and inventory management help there, aspects that notably got dialed down in the later games that weren't as interesting to me as a result.

I agree, it isn't the type of game that would have worked well lengthened to 30+ hours. Adding in the recruitment of other groups for an extra 4-5 hours or so would have been nice, though. RE6 is a perfect example of lengthening a game causing it to be worse, I just didn't care about the game at all after awhile with its muddled plot jumping around different timelines and many tedious chapters.

Ok.. What the fuck! I have no idea why I keep failing the
Abortion
I've failed that stupid think so many times I'm almost ready to quit this game.

Lurky

Abortion

Which part are you having trouble on? It should be easy. Just
do absolutely nothing until the needle is in the center of the screen.
After that it's just a really simple QTE.

Just wrapped it up. Amazing game. Maybe a bit short, yeah, but just absurdly hilarious all the way through. Feels almost like a sequel to Bigger, Longer, and Uncut, with many more years of South Park history to draw from. It's been years since I laughed this loud and consistently at South Park. I would happily pay for more if given the chance.

Was bummed that
God and Satan
didn't show up.

adj_noun

Abortion

If you're using a controller, are you
twirling the thumbstick counterclockwise
? That's what kept doing me in. I was
spinning clockwise.

Which part are you having trouble on? It should be easy. Just
do absolutely nothing until the needle is in the center of the screen.
After that it's just a really simple QTE.

If you're using a controller, are you
twirling the thumbstick counterclockwise
? That's what kept doing me in. I was
spinning clockwise.

No the last part was giving me trouble, I think I was misunderstanding the instructions but I finally got it.

glaurung

Reached the part with the
zombie nazis coming out from the crashed saucer
and the difficulty spike killed my interest. I also cannot beat Al Gore at level 10. I suck.

NEO0MJ

Reached the part with the
zombie nazis coming out from the crashed saucer
and the difficulty spike killed my interest. I also cannot beat Al Gore at level 10. I suck.

Like some said it's time to start making use of status ailments such as bleeding, stun and slow.

CassSept

Yeah, status ailments are overpowered in this game. Use some fast projectile weapon that jumps 3+ times, add bleed patch and everything will die in no time. Seriously, once I got
Super Bouncy Ball
the game basically played by itself.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Just finished. This game was awesome. Totally worth it.

Good, streamlined, gameplay.

I started on Hardcore from the start, but it wasn't that hard. Multihit weapons + DOTS or heal on hit are pretty strong.

Fucking hilarious moments.

So I went into the sewers and found (spoiler for those who haven't been down there/seen references)
the crab people. They make me laugh so much, but how do I break the wall by them? I want to see if there is a quest for them.. is there? Thanks!

Top Bottom