• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park: The Stick of Truth |OT| Bigger, Longer, and Uncut (In select regions)

Arulan

Sunk in four hours so far. Really fun game. Interesting how simplistic and borderline archaic a lot of the design is (especially quests), yet they're made interesting and fund due to the context and narrative, and overall self awareness of its design. Makes dumb fetch quests oddly enjoyable.

Not sure if I should bump the difficulty up from Normal to Hard. I'm still really early on, but this Mongorian bow is making fights pretty trivial.

I'd recommend switching to Hardcore, even then the game isn't difficult.

I just finished it last night. It took me ~35 hours according to Steam, but I play at a slow pace. For reference, I only recently finished Might & Magic X at 140 hours. Obsidian has done an amazing job at taking the South Park series and translating it into a game. While I'm sure Trey Parker and Matt Stone were heavily involved as well, this is a great example of how to handle a IP. It's also rare to see a game with practically perfect visuals. There are a few things which could be better, a few of the mechanics are a little simple for instance, but overall I really enjoyed playing through it. I can't wait until Pillars of Eternity!

The_Dude

The only Chinpokomon I missed was
on the alien spacecraft.
Does that mean the only way to get it is to replay the game?

Metal B

Short question: Does only the PlayStation 3 Version has so many bugs and slow-downs or do they also exists for 360 and PC? I finished the game yesterday and there are so many strange and annoying bugs in the game:

Some examples:
- the sounds on "Facebook" change in value all the time. One moment there very quiet and then normal again.
- it also happens in fights and other Qucktime-Events, which make them harder as they should be, since there missing the acoustic confirmation.
- one time some words of the in-game text changed to gibberish. At first i thought i was a joke, since i was in Canada ...
- one time the city map had problems loading the textures and instead had red dots at its place.
- constantly slow-downs outside of fights
- backgrounds, characters and animation were missing in cut-scenes.
This bug actually created a strange moment at the end of the game for me: After fighting Craig the following scenes completely bugged out for me. Afraid of losing the progress, i skip them and get to the next interactive scene. So i was looking at Mr. Slave point his ass at me, while the other characters stand puzzling on the other side. I had no idea what was going on, went to the door to the left, to properly get some information, and then the whole world explode. Credits roll. WTF! I had to look up the scene online, to know what the hell happened.

Awesome. More South Park is always a good thing. I'd really love to see the game expanded upon, primarily with some environments outside of South Park itself. Having a DLC story based branch set on Marklar or Hell would really great.

If a sequel ever gets green lit, I'd like to see South Park as just a hub town and area for side quests rather than the primary focus of the entire campaign.

I agree. There are so many locations on where you can take the next game. Imagination Land, Ethepoia another Alien space ship with the Jagons and taco that poops ice cream. That's just off the top of my head

Just started on the second day. Picked up a few new summons
Mr. Hankey and City Wok owner
. I just love digging through the games nooks and crannies finding all the little references. The combat is a little formulaic, but it's fun and I'll never grow tired of seeing Butters transform into Professor Chaos. It's rare for a game to be this funny, and in some ways it shows games still have a way to go before they're on an even footing with the best television and movies. So far, I've clocked in about six hours. Like Clydefrog, I'm not rushing this one.

I hope it sells well, it certainly deserves to. Whether or not we'll get a sequel depends on Matt and Trey wanting to do this all over again; what with it being a massive time sink for them. I bet they're getting a HUGE kick out of seeing a fantastic South Park game that is a living, breathing interactive episode that looks just as crappy as the show.

I also like the idea that it's quite short relative to the likes of Skyrim and other RPG's, because, to be perfectly honest, those games tread a fine line between engaging the player with quality content and overstaying their welcome, mixing too much filler with the good stuff that, in the end, fatigue sets in and you move onto the next game. It's why I loved Parasite Eve so much back in the day.

Sunk in four hours so far. Really fun game. Interesting how simplistic and borderline archaic a lot of the design is (especially quests), yet they're made interesting and fund due to the context and narrative, and overall self awareness of its design. Makes dumb fetch quests oddly enjoyable.

Not sure if I should bump the difficulty up from Normal to Hard. I'm still really early on, but this Mongorian bow is making fights pretty trivial.

It's fun when it's actively deconstructing all the tropes associated with the genre and gaming in general. The audio logs are an absolute hoot.

123rl

Thinking about it again, the censored scenes seem almost mild compared to some stuff that remained in the game.

Kim Kardashian's aborted giant Nazi foetus
Mr Slave's scene
The bed scene

Just a few of the scenes that, IMO, are much more controversial than the anal probe scenes

Has anyone run into the loading bug
(right after beating Craig it just kept loading)
? The save file seems worthless as it keeps loading with nothing going on when I attempt to load it.

I did, three different times. Luckily I had an earlier save just before that fight. You can fix it by fighting
Craig
and switching your Ally just before the end of the fight. I have NO idea why that would fix it but I read it. I tried it for myself and it worked immediately. I was fighting with Kyle and I switched to Cartman about 70% into the fight, and it worked.

CassSept

The bed scene

I agree with you, but just wanted to note how much I loved how the entire sequence progressed.

First, you're going through the level with sex noises in the background. Oh hell it's really happening.

THEN you start seeing your parents in the background. No way. No way this actually exists in the game.

And THEN they up the ante once again with you FIGHTING on the bed, dodging your parents' organs. With the matrix dodge. How. How!

Honestly there was a ton that I found more obscene and offensive than the censored parts. Especially
the abortion clinic

CassSept

Sadly the only way is to replay. I had a similar problem and have had to play through the entire thing again.

That one is evil. On my playthrough this was also the only missable Chinpokomon that I didn't get. When I saw it's placement no wonder,
the one on spaceship really blends in with the environment. Sigh

dandoolan

That one is evil. On my playthrough this was also the only missable Chinpokomon that I didn't get. When I saw it's placement no wonder,
the one on spaceship really blends in with the environment. Sigh

I was using a guide I found online for missable content to make sure I got everything and while I found that particular Chimpokomon but somehow I missed the side quest that get's Sargent Yates to be your friend. As it can only be activated while the Zombie Outbreak is happening and is also easily missed.

They should at least have given the option to replay story missions and side quests from Kuppa Keep or something so that this wouldn't happen, staggeringly poor design on that front. Missable content/collectables in open world games is inexcusable.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Proper finished the first day/night. My version is uncut, huzzah, though I think the censored stuff is probably funnier, if just for how it inflates something so trivial into BIG CENSORSHIP YOU LOSE AUSTRALIA. The entire Bard quest had me in stitches. And later on the fucking
recorded diaries on the alien ship
were so good. Game is consistently hilarious.

And the soundtrack is really, really good too.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Damnit. I wish that I'd thought of that. It would have made the fight in
Mr Slave's ass less of a pain...in the ass.

Just finished it then. Great game and a super high quality episode of South Park. Can't wait for the DLC. There's going to be DLC right?

This is how your post should have read. Well hopefully when I reach that bit my experience won't be completely ruined, but now unfortunately the surprise is gone :(

Anyway I just finished day 2 and holy shit at that end!
The fight with the gnomes when your parents are fucking in the background was glorious. The dodging of the nutsack was a thing of beauty.

Also I'm overpowered as fuck now. I see what people mean now.

Is there any reason to ever use the fart magic in combat. It's tiring to keep refilling the mana bar. I eventually just stopped using farts altogether and I've been fine.

dandoolan

I loved the
audio logs on the alien spaceship.

"I tried to search for food but all I could find were more audio logs, each more pointless than the last."

Jim

Is there any reason to ever use the fart magic in combat. It's tiring to keep refilling the mana bar. I eventually just stopped using farts altogether and I've been fine.

Played through the game on Hardcore and only used it 2 or 3 times. It's useful for dealing a few more HPs of damage on bosses though, for attacks that allow it.

Al Gore
should have been the boss.. had the most issues with him. You're pretty overpowered by the end.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I loved the audio logs on the alien spaceship.

"I tried to search for food but all I could find were more audio logs, each more pointless than the last."
I feel like this is also a post that should have been spoiler tagged, but I agree. I was in hysterics for those parts. The very definition of it's funny cause it's true.

Ah I see you edited. Cool.

ElRenoRaven

I just refilled it between battles. Never ran out during fights. I found it great for arrow attacks and weapon attacks when you take perks that give you pp back when using it on weapons etc.

Cheddahz

Banned
I need some help with a side quest, I'm on the third day and
returned to the school to defeat the bacteria for the Jimbo quest and I can't find a way to get out now, is it possible for me to do the quest or will I have to start a new game to complete the quest (it's the last one I need to do as well)

I need some help with a side quest, I'm on the third day and
returned to the school to defeat the bacteria for the Jimbo quest and I can't find a way to get out now, is it possible for me to do the quest or will I have to start a new game to complete the quest (it's the last one I need to do as well)

You should be able to get out the same way you got in.

Edit: You can go back and do it any time. Even after beating the story.

Cheddahz

Banned
You should be able to get out the same way you got in.

Edit: You can go back and do it any time. Even after beating the story.

Weird, I'm not able to go back the way I came in
I'm not able to climb up the cables to access the vents, as I came in the way you gain access into the school during the "Attack The School" quest

Weird, I'm not able to go back the way I came in
I'm not able to climb up the cables to access the vents, as I came in the way you gain access into the school during the "Attack The School" quest

If that's your first time entering the school, you'll need to wait until the next mission at the school. The basement is locked during the first school mission.

Cheddahz

Banned
If that's your first time entering the school, you'll need to wait until the next mission at the school. The basement is locked during the first school mission.

It's not my first time, I'm on the third day and the basement is unlocked for me. The problem that I am having is that I can't leave the school, at all (already defeated the mutant bacteria)

I've really enjoyed my seven or eight hours with the game. As others have pointed out, it's very much like an interactive episode. I like the gentle pokes at RPG conventions, and I love the facebook-friend hook to interacting with NPCs. I do wish the battle system had more tactical depth. It's nice to find synergistic perks, abilities, and patches, but so far it seems kind of unnecessary because everything is absurdly easy. I did have one boss fight where I struggled to inflict regular damage, but stacking debuffs let me sit back and watch the enemy die. Maybe enemies will force me to mix it up a bit more as I go along. I haven't done all the much with the main quest, after all.

CrazyDude

Nah. The game gives you that stuff in the toy box in your room iirc. You don't have to go into the DLC submenu at all for that.

You are right, they did mention 3 dlc packs back in 2012, but that was when THQ was the publisher. Do you think will have any effect on them coming?

Cheddahz

Banned
Have you completed the mission?

"Attack The School"? Yes, I have. I am on the third day and I'm at the point where I just recruited the girls, so I would think I should be able to enter and leave the school, but I can't and it would be nice to complete the Jumbo side quest

You are right, they did mention 3 dlc packs back in 2012, but that was when THQ was the publisher. Do you think will have any effect on them coming?

I'm sure it will have some kind of effect. Whether or not more DLC comes now will probably be decided based on a number of things like the contract Ubi signed into, the cost to profit ratio and Matt and Trey's willingness to make DLC after having gone through the experience of making the main game in addition to their already hectic schedule.

So.. anyone's guess really as to whether or not it'll still happen.

Top Bottom