• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park: The Stick of Truth |OT| Bigger, Longer, and Uncut (In select regions)

I invested SO much money hoping for there to be some kind of pay of ..

but no .. it's just a glorious dick move. Nothing more. Nothing less.
I was going to do that as well. Thinking maybe there was a trophy for blowing a certain amount of cash kind of like I've seen in other games. But I said screw it and luckily so lol. Thanks for confirming it though.

Rubius

Anybody else is glad that we can have a game as vulgar as this in a time where there is so many group looking at everybody to see if they do one thing wrong? Meanwhile in this game you have pretty much every taboo in the book.

Godspeed South Park. Godspeed.

_hekk05

Banned
Man thief is so OP. If you mug and steal off riposting from an enemy, then piss off everyone, you slowly kill the enemy off (while backstabbing the ranged units at the back)

I was going to do that as well. Thinking maybe there was a trophy for blowing a certain amount of cash kind of like I've seen in other games. But I said screw it and luckily so lol. Thanks for confirming it though.
I haven't tried it yet, does he day "and it's gone" when you invest money?
Edit: I need to read more!

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I'm not muchof a South Park fan but I'm loving this. Feels like the natural offspring of that semi-decent Simpsons PC game from the late 90s and Super Mario RPG.

Super well made.

I actually don't think this game is as well made as Simpsons Hit and Run from a gameplay standpoint. Completely different genres obviously but I still think the comparison is warranted. The combat in this game gets quite boring when you get really overpowered, but I think the gameplay and level design in Simpsons Hit and Run remains good and fun throughout. But then Stick of Truth has the benefit of literally feeling like an episode of the show which is something Hit and Run couldn't achieve for obvious reasons. I think SOT has better writing and is probably funnier too. In terms of fanservice they're about even but SOT has the benefit of being able to put loads of references in the loot so I think I'll give SOT the edge there.

I think Stick of Truth vs Hit and Run can be summed up with this. Hit and Run is the better game. Stick of Truth is the better representation of the show in game form.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I just love how confident Stick of Truth is in being both a video game and faithful to the series. The issue I have with borderline every movie/TV franchise game ever is that they come across detached and phoned in, like the game doesn't know how to translate the filmed material and style to a video game environment. Stick of Truth on the other hand doesn't seem overly reliant on gimmicks, repeated jokes, or homages to be "South Park". It has these, but like others have said also stands as an episode/season in itself. It's like a season has been written in interactive form instead of linear form as it normally would, and enough attention paid to that interactive part to make it enjoyable. The two components come together wonderfully.

It reminds me of Virtual Springfield in that the joy of the game comes less from the gameplay mechanics, but more from poking at the game to get a reaction. The scenario and writing elevate the mundane, with the mundane being the fetch quests and side quests that in any other game would be busywork, but in this it's a chance to see a cameo or two or just some funny dialogue. It's a little light mechanically, reminding me somewhat of the Costume Quest games.

I've also just realised halfway through day 2 that I haven't used any of my perks. A notification popped up after 45 friends, at which point I thought "shit, perks, completely forgot about them." I'd be tempted to up the difficulty, but honestly, a challenge isn't something I particularly want out of this game. Still, it's exceeded my expectations. Brilliant job, Obsidian. Only one minor bug so far in eight hour plays as well.

I just love how confident Stick of Truth is in being both a video game and faithful to the series. The issue I have with borderline every movie/TV franchise game ever is that they come across detached and phoned in, like the game doesn't know how to translate the filmed material and style to a video game environment. Stick of Truth on the other hand doesn't seem overly reliant on gimmicks, repeated jokes, or homages to be "South Park". It has these, but like others have said also stands as an episode/season in itself. It's like a season has been written in interactive form instead of linear form as it normally would, and enough attention paid to that interactive part to make it enjoyable. The two components come together wonderfully.

It's very clever in how it moves pretty much all the fan service into the background of the game, whilst maintaining a core of original writing not at all reliant on mining the series huge archive of episodes.

codhand

I'm four hours in. So far I'm really impressed. It's addictive, it's fun, it's funny.

I read every single new item description like I would with a Mass Effect title except here I read them cause they're funny.
I know it's patterned after a crude style of animation, but man does it look sharp. The 2.5D fits the series perfectly.
I find myself looking for every buried joke, in every nook and cranny.

I just hope I can finish in time for Infamous!

Beat the game as a jew and now I'm replaying it as a fighter since all the streamers I watch are jews or thieves. How are fighters a few hours in ?

JustinBB7

Beat the game as a jew and now I'm replaying it as a fighter since all the streamers I watch are jews or thieves. How are fighters a few hours in ?

I played as fighter my first time, has some fun skills, but then I played jew afterwards and jew seemed pretty op, specially his last spell you get. Fighter seems a bit more balanced.

Kind of annoyed to read that I may have missed a quest at the
police station
- haven't even been there yet.

Any other things similar to that without spoiling much? Maybe I should actually start exploring now.

Kind of annoyed to read that I may have missed a quest at the
police station
- haven't even been there yet.

Any other things similar to that without spoiling much? Maybe I should actually start exploring now.

End of Day One spoilers
There is a missable Chinpokomon on the alien ufo.

No Love

Banned
Did anyone else know you can hit the little pirate girl at the playground (near Ike) and fight her + other pirates? LOL so unexpected.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016

I liked the fighter. Roshambo is a great skill and the Ground Stomp can really lay out enemies.

Recall

Speedruns are just 90 mins long and are currently being streamed. Quite the norm for speedrunners to finish full games in such a short time.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Well I beat the game. As a huge South Park fan it was amazing, but I have to admit the gameplay didn't measure up to my expectations. A very poor Paper Mario. But that's ok. Because as a South Park fan the game accomplished what it needed to for me. It felt like an episode of the show, had amazing fan service all over the place, it was absolutely hilarious and seemed to have the perfect length. All in all I'm satisfied even if the gameplay left a lot to be desired.

With that said, WHERE THE FUCK WAS TOWELIE!!? Relegated to a load screen, that's where. A fucking disgrace. I was allowed to interact with
The Crab People
but not a character as awesome as Towelie? He gets shunned in the show. He got shunned in the game. Most underused South Park character ever. For shame.

But luckily the
section inside Mr Slave's ass
sort of makes up for anything missing. Oh my. I expect I was not the only one to just put the controller down and listen when
The Lemmiwinks song played?

keep

Silly question but is the 360 UK version of this game in other European languages? Can any kind soul check to see if it's in Spanish? It's conveniently cheaper on Amazon UK.

OK, I want to get this on the PC. Anyone know the best deal right now? Green Man Gaming will give $10 cash back, but their 20% coupon doesn't seem to work for the game. I was hoping to get it for less than $50. Thanks!

KingK

I plan on picking this up next week and I'm really excited.

How long is it taking most people to complete the game?

I plan on picking this up next week and I'm really excited.

How long is it taking most people to complete the game?

It seems to vary. I have 9 hours played according to my save file - while Steam is giving me 13 hours (because I restarted it a few hours in) and I don't feel like I'm anywhere near done with the game - wouldn't surprise me if I played for another 9. I've had friends say it took them 18 hours, others less and people online have said differing things either way. Still, it feels well-paced - I don't feel like I'm going to be disappointed by length when I inevitably finish it.

I'm not sure how far into the game I am actually...someone help

Just finishing Day 2

_hekk05

Banned
I reckon Jew is OP as fuck, because the bleed effect that the circumcision themed move gives you just destroys everything.

Theif is actually better with bleeding as their ranged weapon can hit many targets and already does 1 bleed to anything it hits. With a bleed strapon, you can give stacks of bleedinf to all your enemies.

Okay that was weird. I Finished day 2 and up until this point I've never broken up those large groups of rats that block paths on the outskirts of town. I finally went out there and after being out there for a few minutes, my parents came and grounded me. Wait what?

I haven´t played nothing of this game, and reading this made me thought that you were grounded. I WANT TO PLAY IT!!!

Just finished, loved it. Everything felt right and I feel they nailed it on the length.

The animation they use for the taco item that's used to bring back passed out characters is easily my favorite little thing.

Just finished it, it took just over 10 hours I believe.
I'm really impressed, the combat got a little repetitive towards the end, but they did a good job. Hopefully, just hopefully they'll do a sequel in a couple of years.

ksdixon

fuck the fart QTEs!
I'm currently stuck in a wall at a grate, trying to lure three elves towards a barricade so I can fart on a lantern and blow them all up so that I can progress the story. Weather it's timing or not, I cannot get this to work at all.

Worst part of the game thus far, these fart mechanics. Right now I don't even want to turn the game back on.

kazebyaka

Banned
fuck the fart QTEs!
I'm currently stuck in a wall at a grate, trying to lure three elves towards a barricade so I can fart on a lantern and blow them all up so that I can progress the story. Weather it's timing or not, I cannot get this to work at all.

Worst part of the game thus far, these fart mechanics. Right now I don't even want to turn the game back on.
I assume you play on keyboard, that's your problem.

Theif is actually better with bleeding as their ranged weapon can hit many targets and already does 1 bleed to anything it hits. With a bleed strapon, you can give stacks of bleedinf to all your enemies.

Any class can use ranged weapons that bounce and cause bleeding.

Jag

Oh yeah. Making everyone bleed and setting them on fire with a mage was a hoot.

You can do that with the Jew class too. A fully maxed out Plague can one shot an entire fight.

The QTE tutorials suck and in at least one case the instructions are broken. I had to revert to Youtube to get through them. Just happy there weren't that many.

Rubius

nope, 360 controller, but i hate all time-based or random button flash QTEs regardless.

All farts are simply holding down the Right stick and then choosing the direction with the left one and then putting the right stick up.
That's it.
Do not do what the animation show you. Just press Down, then up and bam, fart.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Are summons one-time use only? Every time I acquire a character for a summon, they tell me that they're going to be available once a day

I used Mr. Lu Kim as a summon on Day 1, now I'm on Day 2 and he didn't come back

Top Bottom