• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park: The Stick of Truth |OT| Bigger, Longer, and Uncut (In select regions)

So I'm pretty terrible at turn based RPGs, but I love South Park and want to continue playing this game. I'm only at the part where
you kill the 3 meth heads and take the package back to Tweek.
but I'm getting my ass kicked by the
3 kids you fight as you pass the train tracks.

I'm playing as a Thief. What weapon/powers do I use to wreck the shit outta people? Or some general tips would be nice. I'm playing on Hardcore which is WAAAAYYYY above my skill level but I refuse to lower the difficulty. Won't give up!

-MD-

So I'm pretty terrible at turn based RPGs, but I love South Park and want to continue playing this game. I'm only at the part where

I'm playing as a Thief. What weapon/powers do I use to wreck the shit outta people? Or some general tips would be nice. I'm playing on Hardcore which is WAAAAYYYY above my skill level but I refuse to lower the difficulty. Won't give up!

Just try and get good at blocking, use potions before every attack and combine speed potions with your stun ability to shut down 2 enemies at a time.

DeSo

Banned
wtf Al Gore is impossible. Am I supposed to fight him at a later time? Him and his secret service do like 200 damage or more a hit even when blocking.

DedValve

Banned

Backstab.

Basically make your entire set focused on bleeding. The battles play themselves after a while.

aparisi2274

wtf Al Gore is impossible. Am I supposed to fight him at a later time? Him and his secret service do like 200 damage or more a hit even when blocking.

I couldn't beat him until I was at like lvl 11. I used Stan as my buddy and used his ability which knocked down Gore's armor, and then used a Strength potion, and it made it easier to kill him.

-MD-

I couldn't damage his armor when i was level 7 so I got a better weapon, came back at level 9 and rolled him.

He's the first fight where high armor comes into play.

Blues1990

My friend and I had completed the game at 100% last night, with using the Mage class. It hadn't hit me until just now, but with the way the game is structured & how the kids are going on quests & have formed the whole world to the game they are playing, The Stick of Truth seems like a love letter to the Earthbound series. But with dick, shit, & ginger jokes littered about.

And just like the television show it's based on, The Stick of Truth is not afraid to hold any punches with anything. I mean, the boss battle against the Gnome Wizard on your parents bed (all the while they are having sex) is something that I won't be forgetting anytime soon. I'm a bit disappointed that the Crab People & the Jakovasaurs didn't make an appearance. The same goes with the Hippies, as it would've been a perfect parallel to Earthbound, where Ness & co. had to fight them on a semi-regular basis.

Pkaz01

And just like the television show it's based on, The Stick of Truth is not afraid to hold any punches with anything. I mean, the boss battle against the Gnome Wizard on your parents bed (all the while they are having sex) is something that I won't be forgetting anytime soon. I'm a bit disappointed that the Crab People & the Jakovasaurs didn't make an appearance. The same goes with the Hippies, as it would've been a perfect parallel to Earthbound, where Ness & co. had to fight them on a semi-regular basis.

I ran into crab people in the sewers during the hankie poo mission

Had no idea cross region gifting was disabled for this.

Just gave someone 60 USD to buy a copy and send me an uncensored key.

Now desperately trying to activate.

daviyoung

Banned

Wait until at least level 8 or 9 and stock up on Speed Potions, use bleeding and gross out weapon patches.

saunderez

I thought so too, then came back a little later with new armour and weapons and he didn't even get to take a second turn. Suck it Gore, I'm super serial!

Seriously though I'm a mage and I went back with I think Woodsmen gear which IIRC was level 9. I took a speed potion, hit him with dragons breath twice. Then Butters took a speed potion, hit him twice with the hammer and he went down hard.

Vitor711

This.

The Speed Potion is your friend. I ended up using them quite a lot towards the end of the game.

... I have not been using any items except healing. I'm clearly an idiot. And I'm playing it on Hard.

Haven't had any trouble with the fights minus Al Gore but
dude needs to be made to stop spamming my FaceBook feed
I'll get back on that ASAP now that I know.

Also, the slow effect on the Staff of Boobage is ridiculous. It also hits SO HARD. Love it. Also loving the Jew class. Not sure who to pair myself up with though. Stan seems to hit hardest, but the sleep move on Timmy could be sure useful against Gore's Minions...

Dennis

Banned
Looking on Metacritic this is a mid-80s scoring game.

On the other hand it is an Obsidian RPG.

Someone tell me I should play this game.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

What level are you? I beat him as a Jew at level 7 when I only had Butters and Kenny for partners. At that level he definitely seemed tough, but was very beatable once I started spamming speed potions. Al Gore is pretty much the only challenging part of the game. I recommend fighting him as early as you can. It's hard at that level but keep at it and try to beat him. I'd imagine if you wait until you're a higher level and just make the fight a pushover it won't be as satisfying when you beat him.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Looking on Metacritic this is a mid-80s scoring game.

On the other hand it is an Obsidian RPG.

Someone tell me I should play this game.

I liked it as both fanservice and as a simple (in a good way) linear-ish RPG with decent gameplay.

9/10 hamsters.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I think everyone should play this game, even non-South park fans.

Honestly I wouldn't go that far. Purely from a gameplay standpoint it's a very poor Paper Mario. I'd only really recommend this game to South Park fans or people that like South Park style humour in general. What's good about this game has little to do with the game part. The game part is as good as it needs to be for the game to be functionally playable so you can enjoy the overall package, but if you're not a fan of that South Park wrapping then I can't really see how someone would really get much out of the game from just the gameplay.

CassSept

OK, seems like a go.

Should it be played on the highest difficulty setting?

I played it on normal and on this setting by the middle of the game you get so overpowered you steamroll everything in your path, so if you want some semblance of challenge probably yes.

jeremy1456

I have to admit that I very strongly dislike this game.

I'm a huge fan of South Park, and that's why I'm still playing it. The gameplay is terribly bland however, but the story is good.

DeSo

Banned
What level are you? I beat him as a Jew at level 7 when I only had Butters and Kenny for partners. At that level he definitely seemed tough, but was very beatable once I started spamming speed potions.
I'm level 8 and a fighter. I do crap all damage to him so I don't see how speed potions can help and he summons the secret service on his second turn who are all armoured too. Tried putting them to sleep with Jimmy and it showed them being affected by it but then they're awake again straight away for no reason. Fuck this fight.

I'm level 8 and a fighter. I do crap all damage to him so I don't see how speed potions can help and he summons the secret service on his second turn who are all armoured too. Tried putting them to sleep with Jimmy and it showed them being affected by it but then they're awake again straight away for no reason. Fuck this fight.

Use Jimmy's other ability; it buffs your team and debuffs the enemy team. This made the fight very easy.

jonno394

Just finished, man what a blast. Day three was hilarious, there were countless times I laughed out loud at what I saw on screen. Got to be one of the funniest games I've played as well as one of the funniest South Park episodes ever!

Gutted that there's nothing to do now other than replay it as a different type. Here's hoping there's DLC coming in the future, especially as they can go a few ways but i'm hoping for
DINOSAUR HUNTERS

krae_man

Okay Canada is hilarious. I think I'm the home stretch now.

Finished all the side quests.Not sure If I'm going to collect all the Chinpokemon and buy all the crap and whatnot. I'm not sure if I'm up to going back into every building and searching for areas I can access now with all the new abilities I've obtained or not. I'll have to look at the trophy list and see if everything I've missed can be completed without doing a new playthrough and how much of a second playthrough it would take to get what I missed.

adj_noun

Just finished, man what a blast. Day three was hilarious, there were countless times I laughed out loud at what I saw on screen. Got to be one of the funniest games I've played as well as one of the funniest South Park episodes ever!

Gutted that there's nothing to do now other than replay it as a different type. Here's hoping there's DLC coming in the future, especially as they can go a few ways but i'm hoping for
DINOSAUR HUNTERS

Hoping for that eh?

Pharohs and Mummies all the way brah

Hey guys sorry if this has been asked a bunch of times already, but I'm picking up the game today and am wondering which version is better, 360 or PS3?

The Ps3 version has chugging issues when loading right? Does 360 too? I just want to get the better version, even if by a small degree.

i'm stuck. in the
abortion clinic

i just disabled the taco bell sentry gun and blew up the dead guy holding the grenade.. am i missing something? i got all the loot from the bags and the chinpokomon in the corner.. the busted sentry gun is still blocking my path. i can't throw my basketball at anything and farting doesn't ignite the flame from the gun either. could use some help fellas.

Hey guys sorry if this has been asked a bunch of times already, but I'm picking up the game today and am wondering which version is better, 360 or PS3?

The Ps3 version has chugging issues when loading right? Does 360 too? I just want to get the better version, even if by a small degree.

I can only speak to the 360 version, which has played very well minus a few insignificant framerate drops.

Aspiring

I have the 360 version and it too has chugging issues when auto saving. It's not that bad and doesn't affect anything at all.

Top Bottom