• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park: The Stick of Truth |OT| Bigger, Longer, and Uncut (In select regions)

The Hermit

I was reading the posts and I realized the character Chef was actually killed ( I even watched that chapter a long time ago, but didn't minded much since I though he would return eventually) because the voice actor joined Scientology and couldn't take the jokes on his religion .

I just rewatched that chapter and it all made sense... then I found out that Issac Heyes (Chef's voice actor) has been dead since 2008.

I am really fucking sad now... goddammit that fruity little club.

MG310

I think it triggers after a certain part of the game, after you complete the first two phases of his quest. (Planting the lights thingies and planting the calculator thingy on the generator in the sewers.) IMO, by far the hardest boss in the game.

Used Butters as my buddy for most of the game, until I got Stan. He's pretty great.

Yeah, I'm post-game and did every possible quest except the missable one...
The police station one where you need the Nazi zombies to still be around town

Doesn't seem like there's anything left for me to do to be able to trigger it.

Rootbeer

Banned
Playing through the PC version... really liking it, but man... i hate the quicktime events where you learn new uhh... magic. i don't think the control system they came up with is very intuitive at all, i've been redoing one of them like 10 times as I write this, bleh.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
Arrrrgh, finished my second playthrough (black Jew :p) going for 100% and I must have missed a few things. Damnit.

I did discover the joys of stacking status effects on this run though. Lol holy shit I was kicking major ass, looking forward to a thief run (where I hopefully won't miss anything!)

That part is just fucking impossible. Luckily there is no achievement attached to it. About button mashing, I didn't have problem with it either (on hard difficulty). I put the controller on the table and use index finger to mash it. Works every time.

That part honestly made me reflect on how great it is to see parody and comedic timing nailed using nothing but game inputs.

I swear if the combat in this game wasn't so fucking easy, this would be one of the best times I've had in a while.

lordxar

Beaten. What an absolutely amazing ride. I'm not a big follower of SP but the game was amazing. The Canadian part was a great throwback!

spekkeh

Banned
The people that played the censored version, what is your opinion on the censorship in the game, like on a scale of 1 to 5, with 1 being indifferent and 5 being die Ubisoft die, how would you rate it?
Should I wait it out until there's some kind of workaround, or can I just buy the censored version as it's no big deal?

This game is pure fucking gold [i would have said unadulterated, but I'm in the UK, though even the cut scenes were handled really well. I just wish they still had the audio lol].
I'm currently in Canada and probably finishing that section off soon. I am in awe of the level of quality, the references to the show and just overall fun.
My only gripe is the loading [PS3], other than that it's such an amazing game. Will report back when I finish.

TP17

Completed the game today, was exactly what I was hoping for. Tried all the buddys out for a while but Butters was my favourite.

sunnz

Finished it and was defiantly a lot better than I hoped for.
Brilliant game.

Sadly the last 3 hours of my playing it were A LOT more bug ridden than the first 10 or so of it ( no problems during the first 10 hours weirdly)

From having the camera stuck and not changing to the other location ( even though I was able to move), my character flickering, sound issues during battles and the worst one, stuck in the forest ( yes my parents did come, they say there speech but don't teleport me back to my bedroom, just stand there)

That was annoying.

DeSo

Banned
Whew, finally took down Al Gore. Took every health potion I'd accumulated and every party member. Shit was tough.

The Goat

Just finished the game. Man, what a ride! Loved it. Can't wait for some DLC. I might actually 100% this. I can't recall the last time I even had the desire to do such a thing.

GoTY so far!

Aaron

The people that played the censored version, what is your opinion on the censorship in the game, like on a scale of 1 to 5, with 1 being indifferent and 5 being die Ubisoft die, how would you rate it?
Should I wait it out until there's some kind of workaround, or can I just buy the censored version as it's no big deal?
Having played those bits in the uncensored version, you won't be missing anything but a few lame mini-games and forgettable jokes. The really outrageous stuff didn't get censored, and that fact defies belief when you see how far they take things.

$200

Banned
Probably already been asked, does this game play better with controller or mouse/kb? I'm either getting this on PC or PS3, and I'm usually too lazy to find a controller for PC.

GeoGonzo

Without apoiling, what collectables can be missed?
Way too many. I could google up a link to a list of missable things but I don't want any trouble if you happen to follow it to the letter and then find you missed -one- extra thing.
Probably already been asked, does this game play better with controller or mouse/kb? I'm either getting this on PC or PS3, and I'm usually too lazy to find a controller for PC.
I've seen minor complains from keyboard users. Get a controller for you PC, though! Even if there's nothing terribly wrong with the console version, PC is (as usual) better.

South Park is at its finest, not with the social commentary, but when the kids are off on one of their adventures and the adults are acting dumber than an episode of Terence and Philip. Stick of Truth runs with that idea and turns it into the best video game I've played in a long time. Going into Stick of Truth, I had really high hopes for it, and despite the game mechanics being as deep as a paddling pool, it's exceeded those lofty expectations with the quality of writing and the fact that they absolutely nailed recreating the town and its residents in video game form. I'm just sad that it's nearly all over.

I'm close to the end (or, at least, I think I am) and clocked my time at just over 14 hours so far. Just finished the quest which involved
disarming the bomb in Mr. Slaves ass and watching Morgan Freeman explain the ridiculous plot twists to me.
That whole section had me in absolute stitches; so much comedy gold, so many amazing throwbacks to the series. I just want to say that, at 14-15 hours, the game is the perfect length. It just wouldn't work if you expanded it to 30-40 hours.

Favourite moments of the game so far

Hanging with Butters. He's been my companion for 90% of the game.
Randy being Randy
The whole Canada section sending up 8 bit JRPG's
Mr. Slave and his ass
Naked, crazy eye patch guy holding the stick of truth
Zombie Chef Surprise!

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So there's basically no way to make a sequel to this game, I've realized. I'm fine with it, but I'd love to see more of this game because I fucking love it. But you can't sell a new game with the exact same town, graphics, etc. All the items use up every possible reference to the show.

So I'd love to see an expansion pack. The game is a homage to the classic RPGs, and I would love to see a classic, lengthy expansion pack instead of DLC. Maybe add a female option, new party members, new summons, etc.

Also, I just want to praise the game for being a licensed video game of a comedy without constantly hitting you over the head with ITS LIKE A VIDEO GAME jokes.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
So there's basically no way to make a sequel to this game, I've realized. I'm fine with it, but I'd love to see more of this game because I fucking love it. But you can't sell a new game with the exact same town, graphics, etc. All the items use up every possible reference to the show.

So I'd love to see an expansion pack. The game is a homage to the classic RPGs, and I would love to see a classic, lengthy expansion pack instead of DLC. Maybe add a female option, new party members, new summons, etc.

Also, I just want to praise the game for being a licensed video game of a comedy without constantly hitting you over the head with ITS LIKE A VIDEO GAME jokes.

There's plenty of things that didn't get representation in Stick of Truth. There's absolutely tons of directions they could go in with a sequel as far as things from the show go. Certain things getting some sort of a reference in junk items or pictures in the world are not the same as actually experiencing those things in a game in a real way. There's plenty they can do. Also the town was much smaller than it could be, was missing a lot and purely location wise there's a lot of room for growth. And that's not even mentioning the possibility of going to other South Park locations outside the actual town like Imaginationland for example.

And as for gameplay, oh good lord is there room for improvement. I still think that gameplay wise we still haven't got our dream South Park game. Combat was actually pretty poorly thought out. It seemed good up to a point, but then you just get so overpowered and quickly realise how much of a joke the combat is.

There's a lot of improvements they could make to a sequel and I would really like to see one that's bigger in scope, represents different aspects of the show that didn't get much representation here, and I want to see massive improvements to the flawed gameplay.

Tsukumo

to people who played the game and are well-versed in Obsidian's track record: what's the likelihood of a patch to balance the game's "difficulty"?

MNC

Well, hardcore is definitely tough. Does hardcore up the damage as well? The
gasmask elf
is tough as balls

DeSo

Banned
Finished it, put about 16 hours into it. Don't think I'll have a better experience with a game this year. A solid RPG but the story is just so fun. If you're a South Park fan it's a must own. What a great game.

Nafai1123

Banned
Just finished it tonight. Some of the most fun I've had in a game all year. It was easy, but the story is really what makes it fantastic.

BTW did anyone
walk out the fire escape when everyones standing around looking for someone to crawl up Mr. Slave's ass? I did it as a kind of "hmm I wonder what will happen" moment and suddenly it's just shows the snuke going off, followed by the credits. I was cracking up.

Derpcrawler

BTW did anyone
walk out the fire escape when everyones standing around looking for someone to crawl up Mr. Slave's ass? I did it as a kind of "hmm I wonder what will happen" moment and suddenly it's just shows the snuke going off, followed by the credits. I was cracking up.

Same thing happens if you fail QTE
during the abortion of snuke

Also not sure if people saw the Australian censor screen yet, but here it is. I really enjoyed this game, how much effort they've put into it, like jokes changing depending on class/skin color combo. Like the Cartman mentioning me being "Kyles mom relative from New Jersey or something" for choosing Jew as a class while having "fake tan" skin. They even made different censor screens/text for different regions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2C8QK3yr8OI

Obsidian are really one of the best RPG/Story makers in the industry.

The 30 FPS lock on PC is starting to get to me.

I turned the vsync off and locked it to 60fps using the ini file, and even if it didn't break the animation, playing it at 60fps just felt weird and wrong. This is probably the only game where 30fps trumps 60fps; the lo-fi aesthetic of the show doesn't lend itself to 60fps at all.

Finished the game this morning and loved every minute of it. If sales are good and Trey and Matt are up for it, I'd love to see them build on what they've achieved in this game. I imagine they'd knock the sequel out of the park.

MNC

Wow, I was going through all the episodes and I saw cartmans RPG outfit first appeared in a lord of the rings episode in 2002!

South park continuity is amazing.

Grief.exe

I turned the vsync off and locked it to 60fps using the ini file, and even if it didn't break the animation, playing it at 60fps just felt weird and wrong. This is probably the only game where 30fps trumps 60fps; the lo-fi aesthetic of the show doesn't lend itself to 60fps at all.

Finished the game this morning and loved every minute of it. If sales are good and Trey and Matt are up for it, I'd love to see them build on what they've achieved in this game. I imagine they'd knock the sequel out of the park.

In my experience, when you are used to see the game at 30 FPS, then double the frame rate the game looks 'strange' until your brain fully adjusts.

Seeing a lot of that with Resident Evil 4's recent Steam release. Its the first time seeing that game at 60 FPS and people just aren't used to the experience.

BFIB

Just started this last night, and there's a part of me tempted to hold off until I do a rewatch of South Park to catch up on all the small details I might miss through the game.

But damn, is this game good so far.

Top Bottom