• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park: The Stick of Truth |OT| Bigger, Longer, and Uncut (In select regions)

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I cannot believe this is finally coming out after all this time. It does, however, come out a few days before my overseas trip so it will have to wait. Or, I buy it while I am on holiday to play when I return.

Got a press copy, under embargo and stuff but I can say that...

- plays exactly the way it appears in videos (see PewDiePie's video for example)
- feels like an episode of south park (for example: rude funny insensitive humor)

Can't wait til I can go into detail. will drop a video on my channel about it on the 4th when my embargo is lifted.

glaurung

- plays exactly the way it appears in videos (see PewDiePie's video for example)
- feels like an episode of south park (for example: rude funny insensitive humor)

Can't wait til I can go into detail. will drop a video on my channel about it on the 4th when my embargo is lifted.
Excellent!

Thanks for the positive notes!

*still on the fence whether to shell out for the Steam key*

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper

I wrote my review today. I'm bursting at the seams to tell people about this game.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
it was a harmless south park reference :(

Ah okay. i thought i missed some crazy bug thing or something like uninstalling erasing hard drive or something lol

edit:

I wrote my review today. I'm bursting at the seams to tell people about this game.

Even though the embargo lifts really close to release comments like these are getting me more hyped than a glowing review. Maybe im misunderstanding and you guys and all the other reviewers cant wait to tell us how bad the game is but the whole anticipation of the affair is pushing some major psychological buttons.

goldenpp72

Have you played Paper Mario before? I ask because in my mind, that game *felt* good in gameplay, the hits, sounds and such were responsive and I always worried this game would suffer from a more hollow feeling or, watered down/less fun style of play. I apologize for the poor wording but hopefully it can make some sense, PM is just fun to play because it actually feels good to pull things off rather than just the fact you did it.

Excellent!

Thanks for the positive notes!

*still on the fence whether to shell out for the Steam key*

I'm on that same fence. Love South Park and really love the idea of being able to play around in that universe, but gameplay is king, and until the reviews are in, I'm not putting any money down. I'm quietly confident that Obsidian will deliver a game worthy of the brand, but, for now, I'm just going to wait.

I'd be disappointed if it averages in the 70-80 range, citing it as flawed mechanically, but getting by on the charm of the license. If that happens, I'm waiting on a steam sale of 75%

glaurung

I'm on that same fence. Love South Park and really love the idea of being able to play around in that universe, but gameplay is king, and until the reviews are in, I'm not putting any money down. I'm quietly confident that Obsidian will deliver a game worthy of the brand, but, for now, I'm just going to wait.

I'd be disappointed if it averages in the 70-80 range, citing it as flawed mechanically, but getting by on the charm of the license. If that happens, I'm waiting on a steam sale of 75%
I am a pretty big fan of South Park, lately I have been using their episode streaming service as a background activity when playing grind heavy/story light games.

I am on the fence because of my monetary situation. It's not the very best at the moment and I do not want to burden myself with more shit.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Well at least youll save some money i guess. No Obsidian game will ever review 90 or higher.

I am a pretty big fan of South Park, lately I have been using their episode streaming service as a background activity when playing grind heavy/story light games.

I am on the fence because of my monetary situation. It's not the very best at the moment and I do not want to burden myself with more shit.

Yup, same here. I've got plenty of crap on Steam already, enough to last me till Christmas. Money is tight, but at the same time, I just couldn't resist a really good South Park game that feels like I'm playing a great episode. I can resist an average game that punches above its weight because of the license, mind you. If it gets great reviews, it goes straight to the top of my gaming list; money be damned.

Well at least youll save some money i guess. No Obsidian game will ever review 90 or higher.

I don't expect it to. I do have a feeling that it will score in the high 80's; which is enough for me to jump off the fence. The reviews I'll gravitate towards will be the ones where the reviewer is a big fan of the show. I don't care much for the opinion of non-fans reviewing the game, other than they might have more insight on the mechanics.

Jealous! - BUT looking forward to what you have to say :)

i really would love this on my Xbox One - it just doesn't feel the same these days rocking out the Xbox360 :(

Have you played Paper Mario before? I ask because in my mind, that game *felt* good in gameplay, the hits, sounds and such were responsive and I always worried this game would suffer from a more hollow feeling or, watered down/less fun style of play. I apologize for the poor wording but hopefully it can make some sense, PM is just fun to play because it actually feels good to pull things off rather than just the fact you did it.
Having played the game... I'm just going to smile at this post. :)

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
I don't expect it to. I do have a feeling that it will score in the high 80's; which is enough for me to jump off the fence. The reviews I'll gravitate towards will be the ones where the reviewer is a big fan of the show. I don't care much for the opinion of non-fans reviewing the game, other than they might have more insight on the mechanics.

Aggregate low 80s tops.

Gurrry

I really hope this game sells really well. For a couple of reasons actually:

We know Matt and Trey love video games, but there previous attempts at an SP game have all but failed. If they finally do have some success, they may make more. And who knows, maybe it wont even be a South Park game next time.

Original IP from Matt and Trey? Sign me the fuck up.

ekim

Hey guys, what if I told you I have a way to get us the south park game if we all pitch in?

I heard you can rent Paul Martin's American Grill for wedding receptions. I made a plan:
untitledmlj5r.png

I really hope this game sells really well. For a couple of reasons actually:

We know Matt and Trey love video games, but there previous attempts at an SP game have all but failed. If they finally do have some success, they may make more. And who knows, maybe it wont even be a South Park game next time.

Original IP from Matt and Trey? Sign me the fuck up.

You know, I would probably like a good Team America third-person shooter.

Hnnnggg.... all the beating around the bush about the positives of this game is making the wait even more unbearable.

Can't wait to finally play this Tuesday!

erawsd

On March 13, 2012, Obsidian cancelled a "future next gen project", resulting in the layoff of approximately 20-30 employees both from that project and the upcoming Stick of Truth team.[14] On June 4, 2012, they debuted the first trailer at E3 2012. It was also announced at E3 that there would be multiple DLC packs, the first 3 of which will debut on Xbox 360 first and the DLC pack "Mysterion Superhero" would be an Xbox 360 exclusive. It was also revealed that the Xbox 360 version would feature Kinect integration, allowing the user to use voice control including the ability to berate Cartman.

I wonder if any of that is still on the table.

Dub117

Yeah this is making the wait even harder. I wish we could read some reviews that would help a little. I'm guessing there is some sort of surprise half way through or near the end as people that have played more seem to reaaaly want to say something...

Yeah this is making the wait even harder. I wish we could read some reviews that would help a little. I'm guessing there is some sort of surprise half way through or near the end as people that have played more seem to reaaaly want to say something...

im actually kind of glad reviews arent coming out till launch...kind of builds my hype even more. Something would probably get ruined, now I can experience it for myself

That's good to know, would you say it was worth the 1 year late wait?

This isn't really a spoiler or anything major but the fact that any time you load your game you get the SouthPark commercial break banjo twang play just makes me smile every time.

abundant

I somehow made it through the 4 PewDiePie videos and I already can tell that this will be my GOTY for sure. If you love South Park's brand of humor, then this game may be one of the funniest games ever. It's also full of references for the fans, even the random junk you pick up or going to the bank will be worth it.

Sidequests also seem to be worth doing, because that is how you unlock summons.

Timu

Any confirmation if these system reqs are accurate?

Recommended:

CPU: Core i5-750 Quad 2.66GHz - Athlon II X4 645
GPU: GeForce GTX 260 -Radeon HD 4870
RAM: 2 GB
DX: DX 10
HDD: 6 GB

Minimum:

CPU: Core 2 Duo E4700 2.6GHz - Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5600+
GPU: GeForce 9800 GT - Radeon HD 3870
RAM: 1.5 GB
DX: DX 9
HDD: 6 GB

These are the requirements found on Steam

Minimum:
OS: WindowsXP SP3, Windows Vista SP2, Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8 (both 32/64bit versions)
Processor: Intel Pentium Dual-Core E2180 @ 2.0 GHz or AMD Athlon64 X2 3800+ @ 2.0 GHz
Memory: 2 GB GB RAM
Graphics: nVidia GeForce 8800GT or AMD Radeon HD2600XT (512MB VRAM with Shader Model 4.0 or higher)
DirectX: Version 9.0c
Hard Drive: 6 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectX Compatible Sound Card with latest drivers

Recommended:
OS: WindowsXP SP3, Windows Vista SP2, Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8 (both 32/64bit versions)
Processor: Intel Core2Duo E4400 @ 2.0 GHz or AMD Athlon64 X2 4400+ @ 2.3 GHz or better
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: nVidia GeForce 9800GT or AMD Radeon HD4870 (512MB VRAM with Shader Model 4.0) or better
DirectX: Version 9.0c
Hard Drive: 6 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectX Compatible Sound Card with latest drivers
Looks to be one of the easiest games to max out this year for a big game.=O

Clydefrog

This isn't really a spoiler or anything major but the fact that any time you load your game you get the SouthPark commercial break banjo twang play just makes me smile every time.

OH MAN

little touches like this... I can't wait

I CANT WAIT ANY LONGER

I CANNOT

Top Bottom