• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park: The Stick of Truth |OT| Bigger, Longer, and Uncut (In select regions)

Darklord

Banned
To confirm about the Australian edition.

jJZaAzg.jpg

Update OP?

Have you played Paper Mario before? I ask because in my mind, that game *felt* good in gameplay, the hits, sounds and such were responsive and I always worried this game would suffer from a more hollow feeling or, watered down/less fun style of play. I apologize for the poor wording but hopefully it can make some sense, PM is just fun to play because it actually feels good to pull things off rather than just the fact you did it.

i have played, and am a fan, of the Paper Mario Series. This is like if a fan of that series created this combat system and decided to make it deeper.

Edit: also that person wanted to put swastika's and aborted fetuses into it.

Finalow

well whatever, I wanted to buy at least one kidrobot af from this game but they aren't sold anymore on the amazon sites I use, there are still available on .com but I can't buy from there.
the CE is stupidly overpriced and no way that I'm getting it.

-GJ-

well whatever, I wanted to buy at least one kidrobot af from this game but they aren't sold anymore on the amazon sites I use, there are still available on .com but I can't buy from there.
the CE is stupidly overpriced and no way that I'm getting it.

The 6"-7" vinyl Kidrobot designer toys usually cost around €40-€60 (or more for a limited edition one), so €100 for a €60 game and the toy isn't that expensive tbh.

I hope when South Park returns the next episode is an epilogue to the stick of truth, maybe even featuring
Ser Douchebag
. That'd be a fun way to make Stick of Truth "canon"

Megasoum

Banned
I don't know which class I want to play. In a way I kinda hate the fact they made the Jew class. I feel almost forced to play that class and the other ones now look bland.

I feel like I was in the exact same situation with another game not so long ago but I'm blanking on which one it is right now.

Mondy

Banned
I don't know which class I want to play. In a way I kinda hate the fact they made the Jew class. I feel almost forced to play that class and the other ones now look bland.

I feel like I was in the exact same situation with another game not so long ago but I'm blanking on which one it is right now.

I'm a little concerned by the Jew class, to be honest. It almost presumes that if you play as a Jew, you'll encounter Jewish specific jokes the whole way through that you otherwise wouldn't encounter. If they don't do that, it'll seem like a massive waste.

Megasoum

Banned
I'm a little concerned by the Jew class, to be honest. It almost presumes that if you play as a Jew, you'll encounter Jewish specific jokes the whole way through that you otherwise wouldn't encounter. If they don't do that, it'll seem like a massive waste.

Yeah.... and man it's killing me I can't remember what game kinda "forced" me into a class like that if I didn't want to miss on a bunch of content.

abundant

I think the Mage class will also be interesting, just to see how they'll translate the magic abilities into the real world.. Like throwing a firework (Fireball) or using a stun gun (Lightning).

kudoboi

To confirm about the Australian edition.

jJZaAzg.jpg

Update OP?

the PC version of the game is censored in Germany, Austria, Australia, Singapore, Hong Kong & Taiwan

I pre ordered the game in Singapore and it seems to be the AU version

U73A0gD.png

Furthermore, it is region locked as well. double slap in the face from Ubisoft. i will still keep my pre order because i have been waiting for this game for a long time

aapyeYW.png

Is there a more detailed description of all the classes than in the OP? I can guess what the classes are about, but I would be interested in the fine points.

I wonder if your a thief, are you able to loot the things that are darkened? From the gameplay videos I saw, you could only loot certain things. Either it's because you have to be a higher level in general, need a special item, or only thieves can loot the higher grade items earlier.

I'll be going a thief on my first playthrough, so I hope thieves can loot all items.

Andrew.

Banned
You know, this game is releasing 2014, but it really takes me back. It feels like I'm back in elementary school or something. It feels so fantastically oldschool where it's just taking the best of the best from so many things that I enjoy. As much as this is a game that pays the ultimate respect to the show South Park, it's every bit as much a game that pays the ultimate respect to classic videogames, and not just one kind, either. For one there's the obvious turn based RPG gameplay mechanics that really don't require much explanation, but another kind of very old game that this reminds me of is a game I loved to death for the Sega Genesis, which was the Beavis and Butthead game.

tickets.jpg

It was the one where they managed to get their hands on tickets to this big concert for some band named Gwar? I'm not a big follower of that type of music, so I'm not entirely certain of the name, but the premise was that they ended up losing the tickets, a series of unfortunate events transpired, and the tickets would ultimately end up being torn to various pieces and sent flying to different parts of town for you to find. This game was so awesome. Maybe it's because I was so young that I maybe remember it differently, but I remember it having a really nice challenge, and some pretty clever puzzle elements. It was, for the time, about as perfect a Beavis and Butthead game as you could hope for, really.

I thought it, too, like this South Park game just totally nailed the overall look and feel of the show it was portraying, and it's one of those games that you'll rarely see people talk about or even mention, but it's definitely one of my favorite oldschool games. Some very fond memories of that game. When I look at this South Park game, I'm reminded a great deal of what I loved so much about that Beavis and Butthead game, except this looks like it's taking all of that to a whole other level entirely. So, they're two very different shows and they aren't exactly the same kind of game, but even so I still feel they share strong similarities, which is why I totally see this South Park game as a bit of an unofficial spiritual successor to that old genesis game based on Beavis and Butthead. It literally feels like it could have been made by the same group of people, and it wouldn't surprise me a bit if I ended up learning that some of the folks working on this game also worked on that Beavis and Butthead game, as long a shot as that may be..

Anyone remember this game, or how good it was? I remember the first time I solved the puzzle at that fast food restaurant where they worked. I think I literally picked up a rat that I found in some dumpster out back and deep fried it with some dude's fries or something and sold it to him lol.

I notice a lot of people compare this to paper mario, but if anyone remembers that Beavis and Butthead game on the Sega Genesis, it becomes so easy to make a connection between that game and Stick of Truth.

This was one of my favorite Genesis games. It nailed the complete look and feel of the show and completely curb stomped the SNES version. Way more of adventure puzzle game similar to the classic Lucasarts adventures of the mid 90s. Such a great fucking game.

Man, if Stick of Truth is giving you those vibes then I am going to be cumming bricks while playing it most likely.

Mondy

Banned
I wonder if your a thief, are you able to loot the things that are darkened? From the gameplay videos I saw, you could only loot certain things. Either it's because you have to be a higher level in general, need a special item, or only thieves can loot the higher grade items earlier.

I'll be going a thief on my first playthrough, so I hope thieves can loot all items.

I'm guessing that is the case. There has to be some sort of incentive to justify the different classes, otherwise Thief is just a glorified warrior.

I wonder if there's any class related trophies. I'll probably be thief.

I wonder if Kyle 1 will be in it.

There's at least one for the Jew class, IIRC.

Good point, I watched some footage and I was wondering about the greyed out stuff. Maybe we'll need a certain thief ability or a mage spell to loot every single object.

BTW, I'll be playing as a mage.

Sliver

Feel so conflicted. Absolutely love Obsidian and every game they make, but don't want to support Ubisoft and their bullshit practices.

Grief.exe

You know, this game is releasing 2014, but it really takes me back. It feels like I'm back in elementary school or something. It feels so fantastically oldschool where it's just taking the best of the best from so many things that I enjoy. As much as this is a game that pays the ultimate respect to the show South Park, it's every bit as much a game that pays the ultimate respect to classic videogames, and not just one kind, either. For one there's the obvious turn based RPG gameplay mechanics that really don't require much explanation, but another kind of very old game that this reminds me of is a game I loved to death for the Sega Genesis, which was the Beavis and Butthead game.

tickets.jpg

It was the one where they managed to get their hands on tickets to this big concert for some band named Gwar? I'm not a big follower of that type of music, so I'm not entirely certain of the name, but the premise was that they ended up losing the tickets, a series of unfortunate events transpired, and the tickets would ultimately end up being torn to various pieces and sent flying to different parts of town for you to find. This game was so awesome. Maybe it's because I was so young that I maybe remember it differently, but I remember it having a really nice challenge, and some pretty clever puzzle elements. It was, for the time, about as perfect a Beavis and Butthead game as you could hope for, really.

I thought it, too, like this South Park game just totally nailed the overall look and feel of the show it was portraying, and it's one of those games that you'll rarely see people talk about or even mention, but it's definitely one of my favorite oldschool games. Some very fond memories of that game. When I look at this South Park game, I'm reminded a great deal of what I loved so much about that Beavis and Butthead game, except this looks like it's taking all of that to a whole other level entirely. So, they're two very different shows and they aren't exactly the same kind of game, but even so I still feel they share strong similarities, which is why I totally see this South Park game as a bit of an unofficial spiritual successor to that old genesis game based on Beavis and Butthead. It literally feels like it could have been made by the same group of people, and it wouldn't surprise me a bit if I ended up learning that some of the folks working on this game also worked on that Beavis and Butthead game, as long a shot as that may be..

In fact, here's a video of that game https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t5MVMrlrPA

Anyone remember this game, or how good it was? I remember the first time I solved the puzzle at that fast food restaurant where they worked. I think I literally picked up a rat that I found in some dumpster out back and deep fried it with some dude's fries or something and sold it to him lol.

I notice a lot of people compare this to paper mario, but if anyone remembers that Beavis and Butthead game on the Sega Genesis, it becomes so easy to make a connection between that game and Stick of Truth.

Another screen.

beavis-and-butt-head-05.png

Great write-up, I just checked out a few levels of the game.

This video is high quality and actually has him beating the entire thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ny0hCivigb4

Andrew.

Banned
Im not sure if I want to be a Jew or not...

Another thing with the Beavis & Butthead game for Sega: Was anyone ever able to beat that couch fishing section without a turbo controller? The reeling action of quickly pressing the A or B button was fucking insanely hard and you HAD to do it in order to collect one of the ticket pieces.

Andrew.

Banned
Probably going to be my first class. From the gameplay walkthrough, it just looked too hilarious.

Yeah, but if the majority on here is gonna roll the Jew then I might just go the Thief route just so I can share a different experience.

Im sure there is gonna be an equal amount of racial stereotyping humor regardless of what class you choose. The "I've never seen a white thief before" line kinda solidified that for me.

the PC version of the game is censored in Germany, Austria, Australia, Singapore, Hong Kong & Taiwan

I pre ordered the game in Singapore and it seems to be the AU version

U73A0gD.png

Furthermore, it is region locked as well. double slap in the face from Ubisoft. i will still keep my pre order because i have been waiting for this game for a long time

aapyeYW.png
Full price and region lock, this is just unacceptable.

Dario ff

Banned
I'm gonna bet on Jew being the Malkavian of this game. Maybe not as game-changing, but enough to warrant to play through it again. I'm just gonna pick one of the other three classes first.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Yeah, but if the majority on here is gonna roll the Jew then I might just go the Thief route just so I can share a different experience.

Im sure there is gonna be an equal amount of racial stereotyping humor regardless of what class you choose. The "I've never seen a white thief before" line kinda solidified that for me.

I'm tempted to opt for the thief myself, but the last time I stepped outside of my comfort zone (I typically opt for the soldier/warrior/brute class), I found myself regretting the decision, so I have my reservations.

Top Bottom