• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park: The Stick of Truth |OT| Bigger, Longer, and Uncut (In select regions)

Mr. Hankey! lol @ Brown Mage
BhmEvekCIAAHEYm.jpg:large

Grief.exe

Considering Obsidian's track record, it will probably perform better on the 360 than PS3...of course the PC version will be the best, but do you really wanna be hunched over a keyboard with this game? Everything about it screams potato chips and comfy couch to me.

What are you talking about?

Hook your Computer up to a TV, or use Steam Streaming to stream from your main rig to an HTPC hooked up to your PC.

Skies the limit now.

Damaniel

Banned
Oh :/ I'm guessing more along the lines of 20-25 then, of the 16-18 claim is for the main quest only.
I wasn't expecting 30 hours anyway.

I'd rather have 15-20 hours of high quality content than 30 hours that's mostly filler. Even Bravely Default (an otherwise excellent game) went too far down the filler road, making parts of the game a tedious slog.

I just pre-ordered my copy on Steam this morning (at full price, no less!) and I'm ready to play the moment it unlocks.

What game would you recommend building up expectations for?

25, 20, 15, or 10 hours?

Hypothetically speaking, of course.

His post seems... ominous to me.

I remember Brad from GB saying he walked around the town not even doing missions for like 2 hours, so I'm betting it'll be longer than 10 hours, but what if it isn't?

Personally, if it's all as funny and well-written as the 13-minute preview, I'd be totally fine with 10 hours. But I think half of the gaming internet might implode if a game marketed as at least a quasi-RPG is that short.

Milennia

I'd rather have 15-20 hours of high quality content than 30 hours that's mostly filler. Even Bravely Default (an otherwise excellent game) went too far down the filler road, making parts of the game a tedious slog.

I just pre-ordered my copy on Steam this morning (at full price, no less!) and I'm ready to play the moment it unlocks.

I would rather have 30 hours of good content.
But don't mind the original claim either.

I wouldn't recommend building up your expectations for a 30-hour game, guys.

Hey Ryan,

Love your work on IGN. In particular, it was great to see the video with you and Greg excitedly talking about what you had just played of the South Park game. South Park is one of my favorite shows ever so my hype is pretty much through the roof right now.

In terms of the game's length: are you the one reviewing the game? Or, are you cautioning us just in case it turns out shorter than 30 hours? Based on what others have said, it sounds like the main campaign is approx. 15 hours. So, my hope is that the side quests would bring the total up to at least 20 hours (maybe even longer since I'll play it slowly and focus on exploring every little corner of the game).

Necrovex

The game could be ten hours and still be GOTY for me. I have no problems with playing short length game, as long as the quality is superb.

Milennia

The game could be ten hours and still be GOTY for me. I have no problems with playing short length game, as long as the quality is superb.

I don't think anyone minds a shorter game.
The reason people are concerned about length is the fact that this is an RPG and has been delayed for years.

Nobody knows what to expect in terms of content going in, hence the questions.
Usually RPG devs flaunt their time to completion prior to launch.
This is clearly a different situation.

Ryan_IGN

Hey Ryan,

Love your work on IGN. In particular, it was great to see the video with you and Greg excitedly talking about what you had just played of the South Park game. South Park is one of my favorite shows ever so my hype is pretty much through the roof right now.

In terms of the game's length: are you the one reviewing the game? Or, are you cautioning us just in case it turns out shorter than 30 hours? Based on what others have said, it sounds like the main campaign is approx. 15 hours. So, my hope is that the side quests would bring the total up to at least 20 hours (maybe even longer since I'll play it slowly and focus on exploring every little corner of the game).

I've finished the game and am reviewing it for IGN. I don't want to anger the review embargo gods, so all I'll say is that I just don't want to see people in here disappointed if they're expecting a 30-hour game.

Eusis

What are you talking about?

Hook your Computer up to a TV, or use Steam Streaming to stream from your main rig to an HTPC hooked up to your PC.

Skies the limit now.
At a minimum buy a damn controller and lean back. There, no crouching over the keyboard to play.

Is it against the rules to tell us how long of a game it is? Just say it.

That's why it seems ominous... I would think he'd only be coy about this if the game is WAY shorter than people expect it to be, to the point that it'd discourage them from buying it.

I'm playing this no matter what though, so go ahead and PM me, Ryan. Your secret is safe with me.

adj_noun

why couldn't this come out tonight? so I could play it all weekend?

now i have to go out with friends :(

My advice:

1. Ditch your friends.

2. Watch South Park episodes.

3. Hold a controller in your hands and pretend you're controlling the episodes (or keyboard or whatever)

4. When think you've gain enough experience, make a little "ding" noise. You've leveled up!

5. Continue until Tuesday.

ieatzombies

I've finished the game and am reviewing it for IGN. I don't want to anger the review embargo gods, so all I'll say is that I just don't want to see people in here disappointed if they're expecting a 30-hour game.
Thanks for the feedback Ryan! Just looking forward to a great sp game finally, that harkens back to the mario rpg and nintendo era games of yore. Never believed this was a 30 hour romp.
From the reactions so far, it seems to knock it out of the park! That's all I could ask for. Looking forward to your impressions.

I don't think this could hold my attention for 30+ hours anyway in the mess that is March, so it not being that long is great for me. As long as it's around 15 or so that'd be great.

Milennia

My advice:

1. Ditch your friends.

2. Watch South Park episodes.

3. Hold a controller in your hands and pretend you're controlling the episodes (or keyboard or whatever)

4. When think you've gain enough experience, make a little "ding" noise. You've leveled up!

5. Continue until Tuesday.

I may cry manly tears if i attempt this.

does anyone know a good site that shows if ur computer can run stuff. My laptop could barely run Batman Arkham origins(the site showed that I meet the minimum requirements for that game)..the site I use is showing that I do not even meet the minimum specs for this game. So the site is saying that this game has a higher requirement than Arkham Origins LOL WHAT? the one i used is system requirements lab btw

I am a complete noob when it comes to anything computer spec related, I just dont want to pay full 60 for this game on consoles

Thanks for the response, Ryan. I was surprised when I heard 30 hours being thrown around, so I'm not surprised it's actually shorter than that. My expectation from the start has been approx. 20 hours, including main campaign, side missions, exploring, and collectables. Sounds like that shouldn't be too far off. Very excited to hear your thoughts on the game on Monday night.

As we know, the story of The Stick of Truth is based on four specific episodes of South Park. The episodes are as follows - 6.13, 17.7, 17.8 and 17.9.

Tonight I'll be watching the first one, tomorrow the next etc. leading up to the game's release on Tuesday.

Who's with me?

Will watching those episodes spoil the game for me?

Slevin

I think my normal play throughs for the first Paper Mario game were around 18 hours, and one time I stretched it past 26 hours doing every little thing possible. I was definitely fine with those lengths so if SP is similar while providing satisfying gameplay, ~15 hour main quest will be enough for me.

Thanks for the feedback Ryan! Just looking forward to a great sp game finally, that harkens back to the mario rpg and nintendo era games of yore. Never believed this was a 30 hour romp.
From the reactions so far, it seems to knock it out of the park! That's all I could ask for. Looking forward to your impressions.

I have things I want to say to this and I can't. I swear playing stuff early sometimes really sucks. I feel like I can't enjoy it along with everyone else. I know... crazy right!?

ieatzombies

I have things I want to say to this and I can't. I swear playing stuff early sometimes really sucks. I feel like I can't enjoy it along with everyone else. I know... crazy right!?
Looking forward to your review too man! Really enjoyed your dragons crown review and was one of the tipping points leading me to picking it up in this recent sale. Loving it!

KHlover

Banned
Considering Obsidian's track record, it will probably perform better on the 360 than PS3...of course the PC version will be the best, but do you really wanna be hunched over a keyboard with this game? Everything about it screams potato chips and comfy couch to me.

Screams comfortable office chair and gamepad to me. Or HDMI into TV. Do you live in 1999?

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
I was asking this guy about how many hours the game was and he said "I think about 3.50"

"3.50"

WELL IT WAS ABOUT THAT TIME THAT I NOTICE THIS GUY WAS ABOUT 8 STORIES TALL AND WAS A CRUSTACEAN FROM THE PLANET OLGAM!

Fezzan

Unconfirmed Member

Don't listen, you can't respect anyone who plays dirty in a arm wrestling contest, I call it an Elop

Top Bottom