• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park: The Stick of Truth |OT| Bigger, Longer, and Uncut (In select regions)

"Reviewers should stop agreeing to embargoes! It hurts consumers!"

"Then you'll find out this information even later than you would if we agreed to them."

*silence*

*ten posts later*

"Reviewers should stop agreeing to embargoes! It hurts consumers!"

I guess I'm naive in thinking that people would rather be able to fully trust a site's reviews that may be out later but more accurate to the retail experience than blindly trust a review that's up 1 second after the embargo date is up. I've lost track of how many times a game has been reviewed with "an awesome, fully stable online experience" which may be true because the reviewers played on their own private server pre-launch. Then, when the game is out people discover that the real servers are terrible and are basically powered by a hamster on a wheel that tires out every 2 minutes from exhaustion.

PvZ: Garden Warfare is a perfect example of this. The embargo expired and immediately reviews started popping up. The game got around a 7-8 out of 10 but everyone has found out the EA servers (as always) are completely awful. When a game like that is so dependent on the online side of things it's only as good as the servers it relies on.

At the end of the day the fact that every publisher's PR department controls the narrative shows what exactly is wrong with how things are. Everyone should go back and research every highly touted game from the past 5-10 years and read all of the overly positive preview articles then read the actual review of the game. You'll see that the gaming site were just an extension of the PR department to get the sales up.

Vamphuntr

If critics don't agree to embargoes then you get reviews even later. How is that better? Games are never supply constrained now so dumb pre-order bonuses aside, there is literally no reason to blindly pre-order a game.

I guess you never tried to find Fire Emblem Awakening on the 3DS during the month it was released.

fyi for those looking at streams, don't forget Twitch auto archives, in case you really want to see how the game looks but don't wanna follow the live streams cause chances are these guys are pretty far into the game already

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I guess I'm naive in thinking that people would rather be able to fully trust a site's reviews that may be out later but more accurate to the retail experience than blindly trust a review that's up 1 second after the embargo date is up. I've lost track of how many times a game has been reviewed with "an awesome, fully stable online experience" which may be true because the reviewers played on their own private server pre-launch. Then, when the game is out people discover that the real servers are terrible and are basically powered by a hamster on a wheel that tires out every 2 minutes from exhaustion.

PvZ: Garden Warfare is a perfect example of this. The embargo expired and immediately reviews started popping up. The game got around a 7-8 out of 10 but everyone has found out the EA servers (as always) are completely awful. When a game like that is so dependent on the online side of things it's only as good as the servers it relies on.

At the end of the day the fact that every publisher's PR department controls the narrative shows what exactly is wrong with how things are. Everyone should go back and research every highly touted game from the past 5-10 years and read all of the overly positive preview articles then read the actual review of the game. You'll see that the gaming site were just an extension of the PR department to get the sales up.

It's not naive, but demonstrably incorrect. We can track when people read reviews. People want reviews before game launch. Hell, look at home many people ITT are upset that they have to wait until the day of launch to read a review?

Again, you and others say there is an issue. Fair enough. What is your solution?

Ogimachi

I don't think Jason was implying that he was doing people 'favours' but just pointing out the reality of the situation.

Players/consumers WANT reviews as close to launch as possible - I want reviews as close to launch as possible.

There is no tangible way for reviewers to meet demand without agreeing to these embargoes, otherwise they won't get copies early again. So then when the next big game comes along and we're all jumping for information, we (the consumer) will have to wait even longer to find out impressions.

What do you want them to do?
The "reality of the situation" is debatable.
Since you're asking, I'd like journalists to refuse taking early copies with embargoes and take their time after the game is released, making people aware of it beforehand.
This would make players more worried about games released under these conditions and eventually pre-order sales would diminish, hurting publishers that make such deals.
Instead, by agreeing to all this, journalists don't lose hits on launch day, gamers see the reviews on day one and publishers manage to shut journalists up before the game is released. Journalists and publishers get what they want and make more money, but we perpetuate this stupid blind pre-order culture.

Megasoum

Banned
People need to stop saying "Review are being held because it's a mess"...

As much as it sucks, day of release embargo are pretty much the norm nowadays.

Now...that doesn't mean that Southpark is not a mess... but all I'm saying is that the embargo date doesn't say much.

Oh shit no. Really? :(

None of which is true. I can maybe see the technical issue due to the game lagging when moving into different sections of the city for a second or two on PS3, but that's not what I'd consider a technical mess. Battlefield 4 is a technical mess. Read my posts earlier in the thread or SlasherJPC's for some opinions on the game.

theytookourjobz

He's been fishing for tidbits all weekend. He wants somebody to tell him it's gonna be okay. And they may.

...on March 4, 1200 PST.

I think after everything this game has been through, even those not interested in a South Park game want to know how it turns out. I love everything Matt and Trey have ever done so I would love this game even if it was totally broken.

I totally understand people's trepidation about shelling out $60 blindly but from everything I've been reading, it seems like South Park fans will not be disappointed.

erawsd

Since you're asking, I'd like journalists to refuse taking early copies with embargoes and take their time after the game is released, making people aware of it beforehand.
This would make players more worried about games released under these conditions and eventually pre-order sales would diminish, hurting publishers that make such deals.
Instead, by agreeing to all this, journalists don't lose hits on launch day, gamers see the reviews on day one and publishers manage to shut journalists up before the game is released. Journalists and publishers get what they want and make more money, but we perpetuate this stupid blind pre-order culture.

That doesn't make sense.

How are they going to warn you about a game's issues or write a day one review if they won't get to play the game until the day its released?

That doesn't make sense.

How are they going to warn you about a game's issues or write a day one review if they won't get to play the game until the day its released?

Reviewers didn't warn PS3 users about Skyrim being a non-functional product. Let's stop taking their side just because we have a nice guy in this thread that just so happens to be a games journalist. They are looking out for themselves and their publisher hookups, that's it.

MYE

The game is awesome, but this game is all about going in fresh. I'm sure they didn't want spoilers to get out from early reviews. The PS3 has some stuttering issues in the city when you enter a new section sometimes that lasts for maybe a second or two(will probably be fixed in an upcoming patch), but other than that the game is everything you could want as a Southpark fan. I haven't beat the game yet, but as of now I'd rank it a 9 or 9.5 out of 10. With the heart they put into this game, it really does deserve everyone's support who's interested in it at all. There have already been so many great moments that you will want to experience and I'm not finished yet.

Music to my ears

diffusionx

Gold Member

I don't think most people care much about reviews.

I've been playing games a long time, so maybe I just kind of know what I like - but I feel like most people are in this boat. Either I care about a game or I don't.

If, for example, Thief reviewed really well I probably would've bought it, but the truth is I didn't care about the game. The fact that it sucks doesn't really change anything for me.

antitrop

Watching the stream, this game looks like they accomplished exactly what they set out to do. Looks amazing, and is absolutely fucking hilarious.

It's a South Park episode in video game form, with references out the Ying Yang, as intended. Pure fan service at every turn.

cluderi

Spent 5 mins on the stream, looked like playing an episode of South Park so I'm in. Made myself leave so I didn't spoil too much, glorious glorious fan service.

theytookourjobz

Reviewers didn't warn PS3 users about Skyrim being a non-functional product. Let's stop taking their side just because we have a nice guy in this thread that just so happens to be a games journalist. They are looking out for themselves and their publisher hookups, that's it.

That was a problem that didn't manifest itself for everyone and when it did, it was after dozens and dozens of hours. Not really fair to call anyone out for not talking about something they never encountered.

erawsd

I'm on the side of whats logical. In this case I absolutely see the embargo as a necessary compromise. If you can offer a logically alternative, lets hear it.

That was a problem that didn't manifest itself for everyone and when it did, it was after dozens and dozens of hours. Not really fair to call anyone out for not talking about something they never encountered.

Well it happened for me after about 25 hours of gameplay, and if these reviewers are playing a huge game like Skyrim for 10 hours and calling it a day then they suck at their job period. You'd think people getting paid to play games would actually, ya know, play the game. Reminds me of the FFXIV Kotaku review where the dude got to level 30 and reviewed it. I hate to beat the 'lolgamesjournalist' horse, especially in a South Park thread so I'll just stop posting on the subject now.

Well it happened for me after about 25 hours of gameplay, and if these reviewers are playing a huge game like Skyrim for 10 hours and calling it a day then they suck at their job period. You'd think people getting paid to play games would actually, ya know, play the game. Reminds me of the FFXIV Kotaku review where the dude got to level 30 and reviewed it. I hate to beat the 'lolgamesjournalist' horse, especially in a South Park thread so I'll just stop posting on the subject now.

Take into account that they recieved 360 copies, not PS3.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

lol where was all the 'hold off on buying ps3 skyrim' tweets?

The only negativity is a cryptic post from the Kotaku guy that said wait for reviews. Everyone else loves the game including myself for the most part. I really think all this journalist stuff needs to go to another thread. This shouldn't take over the discussion in this thread like it has been.

There was a Twitch streamer today who streamed this entire 2nd playthrough skipping most cutscenes and doing several sidequests, playing on Hardcore mode. I watched about half of it.

Time to credits was 8h1xmin...

I saw some loading/stuttering while travelling between areas in the main hub but nothing really worrying technically. The streamer didn't complain about it, only that he sometimes used healing items on himself while he actually pushed the stick to use it on his teammate. That was his only gripe IIRC.

*runs*

The only negativity is a cryptic post from the Kotaku guy that said wait for reviews. Everyone else loves the game including myself for the most part. I really think all this journalist stuff needs to go to another thread. This shouldn't take over the discussion in this thread like it has been.

Hey speaking of.... did you find all the homeless people? I am missing one and it is driving me NUTS!

After watching the 13 minute demo that came out a while back I was sold on the game. It looks exactly like an episode of the show and it was quality the entire way through

I'm on the side of whats logical. In this case I absolutely see the embargo as a necessary compromise. If you can offer a logically alternative, lets hear it.

It's "logical" and "necessary" to let the PR departments control the information people get about a product in exchange for the reviewers receiving the game early and rushing out a review after only playing a few hours? I'll pass on that. It may be "the price of doing business" but that doesn't mean it's right. I don't know the answer to make things better. But I know the way things are now isn't any better.

All this drama and worry about the game after having played the entire thing just seems weird to me. Like I want to say something, but I can't, but I'm chuckling here. So since it's ok to post cryptic things on twitter about the game and make people worry but not say on a forum, etc. Here is my tweet.

iH0Kpqn.png

Top Bottom