• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park: The Stick of Truth |OT| Bigger, Longer, and Uncut (In select regions)

MYE

All this drama and worry about the game after having played the entire thing just seems weird to me. Like I want to say something, but I can't, but I'm chuckling here. So since it's ok to post cryptic things on twitter about the game and make people worry but not say on a forum, etc. Here is my tweet.

iH0Kpqn.png

And now I'm smiling too :D

The consumer is also to blame though. We are the ones preordering. If consumers didn't continue to preorder Assassin's Creed and other million-pressed titles, the system would've been forgotten like online passes. We are the ones who can't wait a couple of days for a guaranteed non-biased review. If we could, then embargos wouldn't matter because game reviewers could safely buy their own copy and be beholden to nobody.

You say the games press doesn't care about you, but you clearly do not care if they lose their livelihood for absolutely no reason. Let's say Jason or any of the other dozen games media ITT (myself included) break embargo. They will be without a job. You, on the other hand, will be affected in no way that isn't under your control - if you just wait to purchase a game the day of its release.

The sides of the scale are not even here. The writer loses his job. You are disappointed in a game that you preordered for 60 bucks. How does this imbalance seem to be to you a fair position to launch an attack at the guy with his job on the line?

Sorry for the late reply was in a dota match.

Just to be clear, I don't pre order , ever, but others do and it's affecting the way games are designed and which game concepts are approved to begin with (jim has some videos on the whole pre ordering thing)
I'm not telling you to break embargo, I'm telling you not to sign them
You can't bemoan the pre order culture and how you can't warn your readers while collectively (as in all of you combined) are enabling it by being willing to work with publishers under these terms

I as consumer can tell other consumers not to pre order and take responsibility by not doign it myself
You as journalist can apparently tell me and other consumers to take responsibility, but if I suggest you share it too? you get defensive because if you break the mold and don't play along then your livelyhood is at stake (a bed you've collectively made for yourself) , You don't hold your colleagues accountable for putting you in that position (which is my issue)

It's preposterous to you to not play along with the embargoes, I know, that is part of the problem
At the underlined, it's not for absolutely no reason, if you can't inform or represent the interests of your users then what is the purpose of games journalism again? it's like a broken lightbulb

I've asked this question a few times now but it never gets adressed

So what do you want the press to do?

As others have said there are only two options: 1. Make this compromise with publishers. or 2. Be shut out and become entirely ineffective.
I fully agree with you
you don't see this situation as problematic?
But everyone washes their hands off it, as long as they get theirs

There was a Twitch streamer today who streamed this entire 2nd playthrough skipping most cutscenes and doing several sidequests, playing on Hardcore mode. I watched about half of it.

Time to credits was 8h1xmin...

I saw some loading/stuttering while travelling between areas in the main hub but nothing really worrying technically. The streamer didn't complain about it, only that he sometimes used healing items on himself while he actually pushed the stick to use it on his teammate. That was his only gripe IIRC.

*runs*

8hrs? He must have been speed running through the game. Also, did you actually watch the whole thing? Aren't you kinda spoiling it for yourself?

The only negativity is a cryptic post from the Kotaku guy that said wait for reviews. Everyone else loves the game including myself for the most part. I really think all this journalist stuff needs to go to another thread. This shouldn't take over the discussion in this thread like it has been.

Pretty much.

Hey speaking of.... did you find all the homeless people? I am missing one and it is driving me NUTS!

Yeah I did, which ones have you already gotten? Also have you
got all the kids playing hide and seek? I can't get to the one behind the bush next to one of the houses with blonde hair and I've tried everything

edit- oops just got your pm

8hrs? He must have been speed running through the game. Also, did you actually watch the whole thing? Aren't you kinda spoiling it for yourself?

I watch everything if I can, I'm not bothered by spoilers, If I see something on stream it's good enough and when I play it for myself I can see how it feels if I'm playing myself.

I even saw the censored stuff that I won't be able to see in my EU version! ;)

Only thing I would like to experience myself without knowing stuff is mostly visual novel related. If you would spoil a Danganronpa, Phoenix Wright or Zero Escape on me I would probably be a little sad. The rest I don't care about. Same with movies.

Timu

I'm not going to watch the streams, that 13 minute vid was more than enough for me, I wouldn't mind knowing more about Hardcore mode though.

Is it wrong the only thing i really want to know is if the original pre-order bonus from the THQ days is still in the game? I need to get the "Good Times with Weapons" stuff man, its one of my favorite episodes.

Well was informed me telling folks on twitter that I beat the game and I am smiling afterwards could be considered embargo breaking. I removed it. I give up LOL. It's just annoying see people get so worked up with someone tweet about making sure to wait for reviews and scaring folks. Sure it's good advice, but that's also common sense with any game, but at this point it just feels scaring people imo even if that is not the intent. Guess it's just best to shut up from here on out. Enjoy it come Tuesday all!

Moff

I'm still undecided on my class
I usually play casters, but I'm afraid I might miss out on a lot if I dont play the "jew" class in this game.
is it referenced a lot? or even not at all? because if not, I'll gladly play a wizard.

antitrop

"Reviewers should stop agreeing to embargoes! It hurts consumers!"
"Then you'll find out this information even later than you would if we agreed to them."
*silence*
*ten posts later*
"Reviewers should stop agreeing to embargoes! It hurts consumers!"

A great adventure is waiting for you ahead.
Hurry onward jschreier, for you will soon be dead.
The journey before you may be long and filled with woe.
But you must escape the GAF OT, or your tale can't be told.

jschreier's journey is distant, far and fast!
To find his way out of an embargo trap!
The road ahead is filled with danger and fright!
But push onward jschreier, with all of your might!

The Review Thread lies somewhere way up ahead!
Don't look back jschreier, or you will soon be dead!
jschreier, jschreier, the time is growing late.
Slow down now, and seal your fate.

Take the magic press copy to help you light the way, there's still a lot of ground to cross inside the forum so lame!
Ahead of you lies adventure, and your strength still lies within!
Freedom from the wrath of nerds is the treasure you will win!

DryvBy

Even if this game sucks, I won't care if it's funny and doesn't drag. I might be in the very few category but I liked the FPS game. A lot. At least on N64.

-GJ-

I'm still undecided on my class
I usually play casters, but I'm afraid I might miss out on a lot if I dont play the "jew" class in this game.
is it referenced a lot? or even not at all? because if not, I'll gladly play a wizard.

Just some minor dialogue and one or two achievements.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

Take the magic press copy to help you light the way, there's still a lot of ground to cross inside the forum so lame!
Now I can't get the Lemmiwinks song out of my head. 10/10.

jschreier

bravo

NHale

This is spot on yo. Like I said before, companies are under no obligation to provide us with early copies of games, so we either play by their rules or buy games ourselves, and the former option is much more helpful for readers. There's really nothing to debate there.

And that's why with streaming being built into the OS of consoles it will lead to make reviews already more irrelevant than they are.

Why should I wait for a reviewer opinion when I can see someone actually play and then make my own mind based on what I'm seeing which allows to see technical performance, bugs, gameplay etc with the added bonus of being able to watch before release?

Burt

And that's why with streaming being built into the OS of consoles it will lead to make reviews already more irrelevant than they are.

Why should I wait for a reviewer opinion when I can see someone actually play and then make my own mind based on what I'm seeing which allows to see technical performance, bugs, gameplay etc with the added bonus of being able to watch before release?

Because you don't want to watch the entire game before you get a chance to play it?

Nintyb

Banned
I'm immune to anything positive or negative regarding the game. I'll rent it for two bucks at Redbox and either dislike it or complete it for less than a song.

Honestly this is the way of the feature imo. As streaming takes off even bigger, the need for reviews will go down. Sure they might still exist but, I can't tell you how many times I've streamed games and then see people go. "This game sucks though acording to *insert random gaming site name* but this looks great! So yeah. As I always preach, to each their own and what you like and don't like. It's all gravy.

erawsd

I fully agree with you
you don't see this situation as problematic?
But everyone washes their hands off it, as long as they get theirs

I don't think anyone is saying the situation is perfect -- thats why its a compromise.

Publishers get to pick and choose who gets early access to their product, and that is something that will never change because there's no reason for them to give that up.

Swuabino

I managed to get a copy of this for PS3 over the weekend, and am currently about 11 hours in. Anyone who has concerns shouldn't. The game is fantastic. The presentation is spot-on, the RPG elements are satisfying, the writing is hilarious as expected. I think this could finally be the game to get Obsidian their Metacritic bonus.

From a technical standpoint, the game is fine. Only things I've noticed are the aforementioned intermittent slowdown when entering new areas, and a character's movement controls occasionally 'sticking' (character will start running in a random direction after battle with no controller input. Wiggling the analog stick seems to fix it). Not enough to detract from the game overall, and I'm sure it will get patched out anyway.

Sublyminal

Neo Member
I like to explore everything that I can and talking to the NPCs.

I haven't read much on it to avoid spoilers but is it random battles? Or are enemies visible that you can avoid?

That one I couldn't answer, as steam hasn't unlocked yet and I refuse to be a pirate.

I also know someone who's completed the game and can't stop talking about it. Says its the South Park game he's always been waiting for.

So yeah, coupled with other people's hands-on impressions (I know they're not Journalists with integrity, they're just normal people), but I have a feeling this game will be popular due to the positive word-of-mouth (people around them who didn't care to wait for the reviews and enjoyed it and now they're relaying their positive experience to the people around them). Just like it should. Without the need to wait for those reviews.

We don't take kindly to negativity around these parts.

I predict this game will mostly get 9's...........mostly.

And if by chance it doesn't I will say screw you guys I'm going home.

I like to explore everything that I can and talking to the NPCs.

I haven't read much on it to avoid spoilers but is it random battles? Or are enemies visible that you can avoid?

You can see the people you can on the screen so they are avoidable if you want to.

Eusis

Nobody's more tired of it than I am. Hate having to keep things from readers. "Don't preorder games" is good advice in general, though.
Even if it turns out an awesome game maybe it isn't actually to someone's preferences, just look at the reasons Bioshock Infinite got the backlash it did from some people. For a lot it's a great game, but it's probably not the game some BIoshock and especially System Shock 2 fans had been wanting.

Mrbob

Caved and watched 5 minutes of the stream. SOLD!

Twitch has ruined waiting for reviews. Why wait for someone elses opinion when you can watch a stream and judge for yourself. These embargoes only hurt websites when I can go watch the game being played on Twitch right now.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Even if it turns out an awesome game maybe it isn't actually to someone's preferences, just look at the reasons Bioshock Infinite got the backlash it did from some people. For a lot it's a great game, but it's probably not the game some BIoshock and especially System Shock 2 fans had been wanting.
BioShock Infinite was also not the game that they showed off in their E3 2011 gameplay debut.

Bioshock 1 is one of my favorite games of all time, infinite was the game I had been waiting for. I will never understand people's disappointment with Infinite

Eusis

BioShock Infinite was also not the game that they showed off in their E3 2011 gameplay debut.
True, that too. That initial trailer had me sold on the game, and the final product was way more restrictive than that was.
Bioshock 1 is one of my favorite games of all time, infinite was the game I had been waiting for. I will never understand people's disappointment with Infinite
I'm not sure what you liked best about Bioshock 1, but I have to imagine it comes down to which you preferred: exploring and finding stuff in Rapture, or seeing the story unfold. The latter is succeeded masterfully with Infinite, the former was reduced even further. And combined with how few FPSes are actually good about more than just going down a path and shooting everything that comes along that was disappointing for me.

Top Bottom