• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park: The Stick of Truth |OT| Bigger, Longer, and Uncut (In select regions)

Teletraan1

Banned
It's not naive, but demonstrably incorrect. We can track when people read reviews. People want reviews before game launch. Hell, look at home many people ITT are upset that they have to wait until the day of launch to read a review?

Again, you and others say there is an issue. Fair enough. What is your solution?

There is no solution. You are an extension of a PR arm under the current system. Unless the publishers stop being slimy crooks, which is not going to happen, then there is nothing that can be done. If the enthusiast press decided all of the sudden to stop this cycle it would only result in you getting locked out and replaced by people who did not agitate the current system or the legion of pewdiepie personalities on youtube. Since this is a Kobayashi Maru I simply cannot take any of it seriously. Not your fault, I think there are some good people in the enthusiast press that are good at doing what they do under the conditions they are forced to work under but the whole system is broken in my eyes and I cant trust broken systems that give all the power to one party and everyone else suffers.

I have been preaching not pre-ordering for some time. I don't know how many times people have to get burned by a total lack of transparency regarding technical details, micro transactions and various other issues a game release can encounter before they get a clue and not pre-order.

FrankWza

Well was informed me telling folks on twitter that I beat the game and I am smiling afterwards could be considered embargo breaking. I removed it. I give up LOL. It's just annoying see people get so worked up with someone tweet about making sure to wait for reviews and scaring folks. Sure it's good advice, but that's also common sense with any game, but at this point it just feels scaring people imo even if that is not the intent. Guess it's just best to shut up from here on out. Enjoy it come Tuesday all!

Right. If you can't say anything don't tease with "anyone wanting to buy should wait for reviews". Either embargo goes all the way or nothing at all. If you're a pro reviewer do you really need to go to a forum and drop hints about the game? Do you need that many twitter followers or hits that you are talking out of both sides of your mouth? This is how it comes across to me at least. And as far as preordering goes how was I supposed to play as Grey Fox if I didn't preorder MGR? But slasher I think you did a pretty good job in this thread.

hohoXD123

Well was informed me telling folks on twitter that I beat the game and I am smiling afterwards could be considered embargo breaking. I removed it. I give up LOL. It's just annoying see people get so worked up with someone tweet about making sure to wait for reviews and scaring folks. Sure it's good advice, but that's also common sense with any game, but at this point it just feels scaring people imo even if that is not the intent. Guess it's just best to shut up from here on out. Enjoy it come Tuesday all!

That's pretty ridiculous. Some reviewers should just make anonymous accounts on here, get bish-verified, and post short impressions highlighting any glaring faults/major successes, somewhat addressing this pre-release worry when embargoes are on release day.

Right. If you can't say anything don't tease with "anyone wanting to buy should wait for reviews". Either embargo goes all the way or nothing at all. If you're a pro reviewer do you really need to go to a forum and drop hints about the game? Do you need that many twitter followers or hits that you are talking out of both sides of your mouth? This is how it comes across to me at least. And as far as preordering goes how was I supposed to play as Grey Fox if I didn't preorder MGR? But slasher I think you did a pretty good job in this thread.

I appreciate it. Let it be known the ONLY thing in my entire email sent to me about embargo said "Global review embargo, and the date and time" along with PC requirements and just a intro paragraph. That's it. Nothing to sign, no information about if impressions could go up (and in my prior experience, any game you get early for review, impressions/details are fine, just not a final review) Nada. So if I was to get blacklisted for that tweet and my small mentions in the thread, call me disappointed.

Sublyminal

Neo Member
I appreciate it. Let it be known the ONLY thing in my entire email sent to me about embargo said "Global review embargo, and the date and time" along with PC requirements and just a intro paragraph. That's it. Nothing to sign, no information about if impressions could go up (and in my prior experience, any game you get early for review, impressions/details are fine, just not a final review) Nada. So if I was to get blacklisted for that tweet and my small mentions in the thread, call me disappointed.

We appreciate the little bit of info you gave us.

After watching the 13 minute demo that came out a while back I was sold on the game. It looks exactly like an episode of the show and it was quality the entire way through
I loved that, except the bits that went turn based combat, then i kinda thought eww as that doesn't really work for me - just not a massive fan of the system.

Fezzan

Unconfirmed Member
Well it happened for me after about 25 hours of gameplay, and if these reviewers are playing a huge game like Skyrim for 10 hours and calling it a day then they suck at their job period. You'd think people getting paid to play games would actually, ya know, play the game. Reminds me of the FFXIV Kotaku review where the dude got to level 30 and reviewed it. I hate to beat the 'lolgamesjournalist' horse, especially in a South Park thread so I'll just stop posting on the subject now.

Yeah except in the case of Skyrim it wasn't the reviewers fault at all.
Say you were a reviewer, you get review copies however they did not send out PS3 copies, weird but you play the PC and 360 versions for a good nine days so you rack up a lot of playtime, lets say 70 hours.
Now you put up the 360 and PC versions and since you did not get a review copy buy the PS3 version on release day.
You play the PS3 version for 10 hours, are you really going to play it for longer, just in case? If you put out a later review it will result in less clicks etc.

Just saying that Skyrim on PS3 being scored highly was not any reviewers fault.

LAM09

Just seen the abortion mini game. Not sure how anyone could get the censored version. All SP fans need to enjoy the full experience. :D

Eusis

Yeah except in the case of Skyrim it wasn't the reviewers fault at all.
Say you were a reviewer, you get review copies however they did not send out PS3 copies, weird but you play the PC and 360 versions for a good nine days so you rack up a lot of playtime, lets say 70 hours.
Now you put up the 360 and PC versions and since you did not get a review copy buy the PS3 version on release day.
You play the PS3 version for 10 hours, are you really going to play it for longer, just in case? If you put out a later review it will result in less clicks etc.

Just saying that Skyrim on PS3 being scored highly was not any reviewers fault.
There's some things that just don't show up until there's been a lot of trial and error from end users. Millionaire in Bravely Default for example seems to be completely busted, but there's only a Gamefaqs thread mentioning this, most of the guides out there currently seemed to just read what the game said and went "huh, I guess that might be useful" but they had little reason to test since there were more important parts of the game, they offering a near-launch guide for free, and it's not as if they're the QA staff.

That specific example could be more unforgivable in a strategy guide though, but a review isn't really exactly the same there, and Skyrim's situation WAS fairly odd, unlike Bayonetta where it's blindingly obvious unless you are genuinely incapable of telling the difference between 30 FPS and 60, and I suspect many that claim that just don't really understand it fully when they see it (the fact we've mostly boiled it down to just those two kind of shows we couldn't exactly tell how many FPS something is with the naked eye anyway, not precisely.)

URATowel

Banned
The wait is too much for me. I can't even get into any games right now because all I can think of is this game so I'm going to binge watch South Park until it arrives.
I even put it as "Now Playing" on Backloggery baha

From what I've heard/read about Stick of Truth...I won't be disappointed.

FaintDeftone

Still waiting for reviews, but I fully expect to pick this up on PS3 as long as the reviews are solid enough. If not, I'll wait for a price drop. Still wish there was a PS4 version, though.

LAM09

Still waiting for reviews, but I fully expect to pick this up on PS3 as long as the reviews are solid enough. If not, I'll wait for a price drop. Still wish there was a PS4 version, though.

Is there any chance of them bringing out a PS4/Xbox One version in the future?

The wait is too much for me. I can't even get into any games right now because all I can think of is this game so I'm going to binge watch South Park until it arrives.
I even put it as "Now Playing" on Backloggery baha

From what I've heard/read about Stick of Truth...I won't be disappointed.

I have the same thing kind of, but it happens really when any new game is coming out. I have stuff I want to play, but I start it and just think...yeah, whats the point, I will drop this the second ____ comes out..in this instance the south park game. I started playing Tales of Vesperia last Monday, dropped that in about 5 minutes.

Grief.exe

Bioshock 1 is one of my favorite games of all time, infinite was the game I had been waiting for. I will never understand people's disappointment with Infinite

Infinite is just a mediocre game overall. Bad enemy design, linear levels, boring weapons, two weapon limit, etc.

The atmosphere is great the first 10 minutes, and the final 10 minutes are a rollercoaster, but that is sandwiched by ~10 hours of pure mediocrity.

theytookourjobz

I guess it depends on whether or not they want to make more money. I have a feeling it could appear later on in the year, similar to GTA V.

I think GTA on next gen would probably entice some people that already played it to double dip but I'm not sure this game would benefit much from a next gen port. People that sold their PS360s would bite but not sure how many sales they'd get beyond that.

-GJ-

I got an envelope with the game and a tiny piece of paper with only the review embargo date on it. Nothing else. No NDA to sign, no document telling me what I can and cannot include in my review, nothing.

LAM09

I think GTA on next gen would probably entice some people that already played it to double dip but I'm not sure this game would benefit much from a next gen port. People that sold their PS360s would bite but not sure how many sales they'd get beyond that.

I guess so, but not sure how bad the performance issues are. I presume they aren't game breaking, but I doubt they would be present if the game was released on NG.

Nokterian

Still no key from GMG...want to pre load before release. Fun fact it was this South Park Weekend on Comedy Central this week and tonight they showed the black friday episode the last one i guess but it's fun to see to hype up the game.

Still no key from GMG...want to pre load before release. Fun fact it was this South Park Weekend on Comedy Central this week and tonight they showed the black friday episode the last one i guess but it's fun to see to hype up the game.

Don't expect a key until before the game releases, and I mean like 4 in the morning.

Infinite is just a mediocre game overall. Bad enemy design, linear levels, boring weapons, two weapon limit, etc.

The atmosphere is great the first 10 minutes, and the final 10 minutes are a rollercoaster, but that is sandwiched by ~10 hours of pure mediocrity.

idk man, I was hooked the entire time. That kind of sci-fi is right up my alley. The gameplay was fine for me...but the undertow vigor is so op that you literally dont even have to use anything else. Towards the end was one of the first times a game has ever wowed me so much I actually said "wow" out loud.

Wouldn't it be just like Matt and Trey to send out bogus review versions of the game and the retail game is something totally different?

Like the whole cliffhanger about Cartman's father.

I can't wait until Tuesday.

Ecto311

Googled and read the OP but still don't know what ones to watch?

Can someone advise of the few episodes outside of the black friday ones that I should watch to get caught up before the game comes out?

Getting it on 360 - this thread being such a cluster fuck - is that ok? I assume it is but there seems to be some back and forth and I don't have time to decipher if its jokes or really going to have issues.

URATowel

Banned

Can someone advise of the few episodes outside of the black friday ones that I should watch to get caught up before the game comes out?

Getting it on 360 - this thread being such a cluster fuck - is that ok? I assume it is but there seems to be some back and forth and I don't have time to decipher if its jokes or really going to have issues.

I'm going to watch random ones plus the Black Friday saga. There are a few articles if you google "stick of truth which episodes to watch."
adj_noun posted a couple above...

Also, you should be fine on the 360. Only heard PS3 issues but a day 1 patch is ready to go.

They're showing all 3 relevant episodes (the black friday trilogy from last season) tomorrow back to back at 9:30pm ET tomorrow if you wanna watch it on TV

So a ton of people seem to be streaming this on Twitch already without issue. not sure why Twitch is allowing this, as it seems to be a story heavy game that isn't released yet. Typically they prevent early streams...Weird.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
So uhhh... I haven't watched SP regularly since the mid 2000s. I was a fan though, and I preordered on the strength of Obsidian's pedigree and the license.

I just watched the black friday trilogy, and man it just wasn't funny at all to me. Is the game really all just a direct continuation of that?

MattDoza

So a ton of people seem to be streaming this on Twitch already without issue. not sure why Twitch is allowing this, as it seems to be a story heavy game that isn't released yet. Typically they prevent early streams...Weird.

It's usually up to the Developer/Publisher, IIRC. If they've given the OK to Twitch streams, then it's going to be streamed.

Maddog

So uhhh... I haven't watched SP regularly since the mid 2000s. I was a fan though, and I preordered on the strength of Obsidian's pedigree and the license.

I just watched the black friday trilogy, and man it just wasn't funny at all to me. Is the game really all just a direct continuation of that?

I don't watch the show and have played about two hours so far. I've enjoyed it. The story seems pretty self contained.

adj_noun

In that they're LARP'ing boys playing with a stick yeah. Other than that not really.

The humor is more or less going to be coming from the same place.

URATowel

Banned
No new game plus. Just your free to explore, collect anything you missed, or finish remaining side quests.

Are there different side quests for the different classes? Either way I'm probably doing a play through with all four.

Only question is...jew first or last?

Top Bottom