• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park: The Stick of Truth |OT| Bigger, Longer, and Uncut (In select regions)

Geniuzz

Been playing with this for about an hour or so and the first impressions are good. it has the look and feel of a SP episode and the controls seem smooth enough. Yeah, I can see myself completing this game.

isb

Banned
So, EU folks unlocking it tomorrow?

How would one go about doing this? And is it likely to result in my Steam account being locked? :p

I have used a VPN to unlock a hundred times before, never been a problem. As long as you dont buy the game using a VPN your good.

Hopefully the patch yields as good results as it promises.

I'm sure the patch will be fine. What a difference a decade makes. I remember the days without patches. In those days games that shipped were done. Nowadays, it seems like the patches makes it much easier for devs to release an 'unfinished' game. Don't misunderstand me, patches are most welcome, but it feels kinda weird to me.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
you shouldn't interpret too much into the gif – I guess it's his creative way of hinting that the game's going to be good without breaking the NDA

His message is twofold. First, time is money and there are four bills so he is saying that the game is four hours long. Second, he uses $1 bills so he is saying if you do buy it, buy it when it hits $4.

His message is twofold. First, time is money and there are four bills so he is saying that the game is four hours long. Second, he uses $1 bills so he is saying if you do buy it, buy it when it hits $4.

Well done. But what about 'exile' Justin Bieber? Could be about invading Canada right?

FeiRR

Banned
Does anybody know what the "Head to head" mode is? PvP battle of your character with a friend or anything more?

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Are there any episodes of the show that connect to the game and should be watched first?

From what I have seen/read only the Black Friday trilogy links into it but only in 1 scene at the end of the last episode, tho they appear to all be wearing the same costumes and playing the same characters as they are in the game. Judging by the the screenshots and footage it looks like it will pick up on plenty of plotlines from the shows history aswell

Mendrox

Oh, and because I am not restricted to any embargo shit, here are my impressions. I finished the game and have a few sidequests left, but my playtime in the end was 8 hours. Yes 8 hours, but I think that they don't count cutscenes, because I seriously played more than 8 hours. I played the uncut version.

Positiv:
- Looks exactly like the show
- Minute after minute is funnier and funnier
- I thought that every important South Park aspect got into the game (important episodes, characters, easter eggs)
- Story is funny and awesome, I know, South Park never had a serious story, but the story in this game just screamed for more
- Game is a nice midlong snack for a weekend, very nice snack
- Gameplay is awesome after 1 hour, many options to handle battles and nothing too easy or hard, I played on normal difficulty
- Skill points and everything is good enough, nothing special
- Enemy spoiler
I seriously loved fightning against every Nazi Zombie enemy lol

Negativ:

- I want more story (positiv!)
- A few slowdowns sometimes, but nothing really bad (PS3 Version)
- Cut content shouldn't be allowed :p
- Equipment level based... I don't know why they did that, because low level equipment CAN be better than high level equipment
- Level cap
- Sudden hp increase in the end game (i don't know how stats get leveled up...went from 2000 hp to 4500 hp in 30 minutes playtime.. and I don't know how)

This game is the best Licence game I've ever played. Yes, imo it's better than the Batman games these past years. For many people 60$ will be too much, but I can reassure you that the game is easily worth 40$. For South Park Fans it's worth more than 60$ ;-)

Oh, and because I am not restricted to any embargo shit, here are my impressions. I finished the game and have a few sidequests left, but my playtime in the end was 8 hours. Yes 8 hours, but I think that they don't count cutscenes, because I seriously played more than 8 hours. I played the uncut version.

Positiv:
- I thought that every important South Park aspect got into the game (important episodes, characters, easter eggs)
- Story is funny and awesome, I know, South Park never had a serious story, but the story in this game just screamed for more
- Gameplay is awesome after 1 hour, many options to handle battles and nothing too easy or hard, I played on normal difficulty
- Enemy spoiler

Negativ:

- Equipment level based... I don't know why they did that, because low level equipment CAN be better than high level equipment
- Level cap
- Sudden hp increase in the end game (i don't know how stats get leveled up...went from 2000 hp to 4500 hp in 30 minutes playtime.. and I don't know how)

This game is the best Licence game I've ever played. Yes, imo it's better than the Batman games these past years. For many people 60$ will be too much, but I can reassure you that the game is easily worth 40$. For South Park Fans it's worth more than 60$ ;-)

Thanks for your impressions. Lawd, I can't wait to play this myself. Watching old episodes and on the hype train again.

Megasoum

Banned

Positiv:
- Enemy spoiler

Negativ:

- Level cap

Thanks for the impressions. So looks like the teases from Kotaku were probably about the length....meh I don't mind, I can live with that. Not only did I pay 25$ for the game but I also have WAY too much stuff to play in March anyway so I wouldn't want a 100h game.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death

very good to hear, is it compatible with the Dualshock 4?

Petrie

Banned
Weird that you got through it so quick. I'm 12 hours in and we're nowhere near the end it seems. Maybe we're just taking our time I guess?

My biggest complaint is navigation and inventory management. Having to remove stickers/patches and put them on my new gear each time I get an item is a pain in the ass. It reminds me of the first Mass Effect in this way and that's not a good thing. Combine that with the 3D navigation sometimes being "off" and it can be frustrating.

Everything else about the game makes it very easy to overlook this shortcoming though. The humor and charm is just at insane levels. I'm at work today after 12 hours of the game with my girlfriend yesterday and can't wait to get home for more tonight.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
PSA for all PC players in censored territories who have bought an uncensored key! As I warned may be the case, keys are indeed region-locked: http://games.on.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=200632 As I also explained, though, you can get around this by using a VPN. To do that:

- Download and install Spotflux
- After Spotflux has connected, type "what's my ip" into Google to ensure it's changed
- Redeem your key
- Uninstall Spotflux

The game itself is region-free; a VPN is only necessary for activation. In the interest of full disclosure:

Edit: Do note that you may be required to use a VPN to activate a retail key pertaining to the uncensored version of the game. Spotflux is free and US-based. Using a VPN is technically against the SSA but to date there are no verified or reputable reports of Valve taking issue with people using one to just activate a key or unlock a game early; indeed, myself and many other GAFers have used VPNs for these purposes many times over the years and haven't encountered any trouble whatsoever (the most recent example would be Thi4f, which first unlocked in some Asian countries).

Andrew.

Banned
Im down with this. Im sure it will take me over 8 hours too. Im super mega anal OCD when it comes to my RPGs like this so rock on.

People measuring value and quality by playtime are doing it wrong.

Xenoblade Chronicles and FF XII sit in my closet unfinished. It's not satisfying to buy something and never see the end of it. 2 hours spent with Journey was better than both of those games combined.

Bandito

Neo Member
Just pre ordered on GMG and got the pre load key right after checkout.
€32 all in, not too bad. Can't wait to play this

Xater

PSA for all PC players in censored territories who have bought an uncensored key! As I warned may be the case, keys are indeed region-locked: http://games.on.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=200632 As I also explained, though, you can get around this by using a VPN. To do that:

- Download and install Spotflux
- After Spotflux has connected, type "what's my ip" into Google to ensure it's changed
- Redeem your key
- Uninstall Spotflux

The game itself is region-free; a VPN is only necessary for activation. In the interest of full disclosure:

But my key worked and I already pre-loaded it. Did they just recently activate that?

I'm sure the patch will be fine. What a difference a decade makes. I remember the days without patches. In those days games that shipped were done. Nowadays, it seems like the patches makes it much easier for devs to release an 'unfinished' game. Don't misunderstand me, patches are most welcome, but it feels kinda weird to me.

I remember getting PC Gamer discs with the magazine that came with game patches. This was in the late '90s. I specifically remember a patch for Hexen II that could save co-op multiplayer games.

Smurf

Banned
People measuring value and quality by playtime are doing it wrong.

Xenoblade Chronicles and FF XII sit in my closet unfinished. It's not satisfying to buy something and never see the end of it. 2 hours spent with Journey was better than both of those games combined.

The majority of rpg players will have finished and enjoyed those games, I don't think you'll too many wanting to frame those games as failures for delivering a complete and thorough experience. I certainly never thought either dragged on or were padded for length in any way.
If you want short bursts of games perhaps it isn't the genre for you outside of the occasional lighter experience like Paper Mario or indie games.

Petrie

Banned
The majority of rpg players will have finished and enjoyed those games, I don't think you'll too many wanting to frame those games as failures for delivering a complete and thorough experience. I certainly never thought either dragged on or were padded for length in any way.
If you want short bursts of games perhaps it isn't the genre for you outside of the occasional lighter experience like Paper Mario or indie games.

And that's why those games never achieve the sales of games that keep it tighter. I've got news for you: Xenoblade Chronicles is chock full of padding and filler. It's a good game, but one with a lot of fluff.

It's why the market for such games is getting smaller and smaller: a dwindling fanbase who want games they measure by length rather than strength of the entire experience.

Mendrox

Weird that you got through it so quick. I'm 12 hours in and we're nowhere near the end it seems. Maybe we're just taking our time I guess?

My biggest complaint is navigation and inventory management. Having to remove stickers/patches and put them on my new gear each time I get an item is a pain in the ass. It reminds me of the first Mass Effect in this way and that's not a good thing. Combine that with the 3D navigation sometimes being "off" and it can be frustrating.

Everything else about the game makes it very easy to overlook this shortcoming though. The humor and charm is just at insane levels. I'm at work today after 12 hours of the game with my girlfriend yesterday and can't wait to get home for more tonight.

Game suddenly jumps from recruiting someone and to the end.

I only got TWO summons, and I saw way more on streams (saw two other ones). I only did about 7(?) side quests, but there are way more. The sidequests aren't just fetch and hatch. They have a story too with cutscenes.

Hmm the games length is a two sided blade... on the one hand you want more of the game because it is such fun... but on the other hand it is the perfect length. The pacing is amazing and you just keep laughing all the way. Nothing tedious... nothing which "costs" time. I didn't feel like I wasted time once! That is a very big plus for me. The game is polished and looks like the show, the gags are more than amazing and the plot twists are better than in many other games, way better.

You are going to miss a very very (GOTY contender) good game this year if you aren't playing it because of the play length.

a small minority of people who start a game finish a game regardless of genre. Quality > quantity every time, except for that rare game that has both.

Top Bottom