• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park: The Stick of Truth |OT| Bigger, Longer, and Uncut (In select regions)

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I said nothing of the sort. I made a general statement that quality of the overall games being offered has suffered due to chasing the huge number of hours instead of chasing quality. You're inferring things I never said nor even implied.

Yeah, you never said anything about that.

That you are trying to argue "sales = quality".

I'm arguing that they are one barometer, and one of the only ones we have in this admittedly young industry/art form.

Hopeless, I give up and am out of here! Have fun.

And what if I love Xenoblade and FFXII?

No you dont. No one likes those games, they also sold poorly, so we know for a fact that they are shit. We still need to learn so much.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
yep I saw your post on the other page but it only says "South Park™: The Stick of Truth™ + Ultimate Fellowship Pack (Preorder)" for me, on both tabs.
its weird because for thief for isntance it says "Thief Pre-Purchase ROW", but nothing spezific for south park

That's the ROW sub. The region-specific subs are marked as such (Preorder AU/RU/DE).

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I see barely anything there with the type of budget and production value I'm talking about. A large smattering of indie fare and a few of the exact types of games that are the problem (hello again Lightning) doesn't make a strong case for your point.

I don't even think you bothered to read that list, or even managed to read the part that it's a list for just a single year's worth of games. You're factually incorrect that the market has dried up or that sales for these games has gone anywhere. Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Skyrim, the huge Kickstarters for Pillars, Wasteland...the proof is literally all around you. By every and any metric you care to use.

Petrie

Banned
Yeah, you never said anything about that.

Hopeless, I give up and am out of here! Have fun.

It's quite ignorant to try and argue that I said sales = quality by arguing that we can use overall sales for the genre as it has chased longer and longer lengths with padding to somehow mean I'm saying that sales always = quality. Continue to be ignorant though. Have fun with that.

I don't even think you bothered to read that list, or even managed to read the part that it's a list for just a single year's worth of games. You're factually incorrect that the market has dried up or that sales for these games has gone anywhere. Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Skyrim, the huge Kickstarters for Pillars, Wasteland...the proof is literally all around you. By every and any metric you care to use.

Once again what I said was that we've seen sales decline for the major big budget releases in the genre as they've chased length over quality. Using a bunch of examples of games that have become other genres first and RPGs second doesn't really make a strong case either. I'm looking at games i would consider peers to South Park as that's the game being discussed, and something like Dragon Age or MAss Effect simply doesn't apply, nor would a Skyrim.

rjinaz

Ignorance to what exactly? The fact that as these types of games have continued to chase the checkbox of "80+ hours" they've also seen sales dwindle? That I'm not willing to just disregard market realities?

I love the genre and want to see it succeed and get more actual budgets for something other than Final Fantasy. Games like this are exactly what we need.

Skyrim was plenty long and it sold millions. Granted it is a rare exception but still. It sounds like you want the RPG genre to be more like the kind of games you like which are short experiences. Basically every other genre has this, I don't see why one genre can't have long games. There are short RPGs out there and I've never seen any proof that the short ones sell tons more than the long ones. I'm also sure there are plenty of other factors that turn people away from RPGs as well such as stat growth and having to learn complicated mechanics that turn people away.

Anyway, Xenoblade and FF XII are easily my two favorite games of all time and I have put hundreds of hours into them over the years which I cannot say about any other game in another genre which usually I spend 10 hours with and never touch again. So this is one person that is glad that these kind of games are made. I wish they would sell more but if you're telling me Xenoblade would have sold more if it was a quick experience I'd have to disagree. If anything, it's length and content are what interested people in the first place.

I'm not saying every RPG needs to be long though, for some it works for others it doesn't. As for South Park, I wish it were longer but I think this is one of those RPGs where short works.

I think long and meaty games can be fun but... honestly folks that can afford to play such titles usually fall under two categories from what I have seen.

A. Regardless of age, you have lots of free time.(I remember these days well.)

B. You only play 1-5 games a year or can only afford to do so.

Of course there are exceptions. I know for me personally with full time career, fiancee, baby due in a month, two dogs, youtube video content, social life, etc. Im lucky to find the time I can for games. Having beat Southpark TSOT already, I can say for me, personally, it was the absolute perfect length.
how long is the game?
honestly my concern isn't about how short it is but how long it is. i haven't even finished ni no kuni and the last of us, plus shadow of the colossus. i don't have time to play games. i honestly don't want a 40-hour game especially south park where there's no freaking padding fodder filler and every dialogue is detailed.

Petrie

Banned
Skyrim was plenty long and it sold millions. Granted it is a rare exception but still. It sounds like you want the RPG genre to be more like the kind of games you like which are short experiences. Basically every other genre has this, I don't see why one genre can't have long games. There are short RPGs out there and I've never seen any proof that the short ones sell tons more than the long ones. I'm also sure there are plenty of other factors that turn people away from RPGs as well such as stat growth and having to learn complicated mechanics that turn people away.

Anyway, Xenoblade and FF XII are easily my two favorite games of all time and I have put hundreds of hours into them over the years which I cannot say about any other game in another genre which usually I spend 10 hours with and never touch again. So this is one person that is glad that these kind of games are made. I wish they would sell more but if you're telling me Xenoblade would have sold more if it was a quick experience I'd have to disagree. If anything, it's length and content are what interested people in the first place.

I'm not saying every RPG needs to be long though, for some it works for others it doesn't. As for South Park, I wish it were longer but I think this is one of those RPGs where short works.

I don't care if the games are long or short, I just don't want them to be long due to meaningless filler and grinding. If I'm going to have a ton of battles adding length, they need the be meaningful and consequential, where every one requires thought and not just hammering attack.

I love Chrono Trigger just as much as I adore Persona 4. This isn't about hating long or short games.

WanderingWind

Once again what I said was that we've seen sales decline for the major big budget releases in the genre as they've chased length over quality. Using a bunch of examples of games that have become other genres first and RPGs second doesn't really make a strong case either. I'm looking at games i would consider peers to South Park as that's the game being discussed, and something like Dragon Age or MAss Effect simply doesn't apply, nor would a Skyrim.

Well, you can't just take every example that proves you incorrect and just throw them out because you personally don't consider them peers for arbitrary reasons. They're big budget, successful RPGs on the same generation of consoles. That's the base definition of "peer" in this context.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Great to hear. I love South Park but between work and family don't have enough gaming time to play anything overly grindy

The game is the opposite of grindy. I hit the level cap 2 hours before the end which was a little odd, but fine nonetheless.

Things that make this one of the best games I have played in years:
  1. Innovative and interesting usage of social netowork
  2. Excellent 2D world structure with plenty of exploring and secrets
  3. Superb writing in both plot and in sidequests
  4. Perfect lenght to cosume a rainy weekend yet still leaving you wanting more
  5. Tons of loot that is varied in both attributes and in appearance
  6. Great usage of many of South Park's classic characters and gags that is perfect for fans of the show
  7. Fun Battle system ( for the most part). I enjoyed the main characters abilities and resource management for potions, etc was very well done. You can use 1 potion and attack once per turn rather than either/or. Great mechanic.
  8. Many real, laugh out loud moments, and a few cringing gross-out ones too

There were a couple of annoyances that could have been improved but really did not knock this out of GoTY contention at all. I absolutely hate QTEs and I hate unexpected QTEs more than anything so fuck the asshole who decided to put the one that seemed to come out of nowhere in the final boss fight and also who chose to put them in some of the secondary character abilities. Putting QTES that are way too fast to randomly mash a button to stick the ability basically taught me not to try abilities at all. The main character's abilities are not really QTEs and are rather fun to use. Also there are some training parts and a plot part where the controller input is a bit awkward and you tend to fail a few times. One of these causes death and you have to go through a loading process. That could have been handled better. My gripes account for maybe 10 minutes out of the entire game.

how long is the game?
honestly my concern isn't about how short it is but how long it is. i haven't even finished ni no kuni and the last of us, plus shadow of the colossus. i don't have time to play games. i honestly don't want a 40-hour game especially south park where there's no freaking padding fodder filler and every dialogue is detailed.
My full run took almost 14 hours, your good. :)

rjinaz

I don't care if the games are long or short, I just don't want them to be long due to meaningless filler and grinding. If I'm going to have a ton of battles adding length, they need the be meaningful and consequential, where every one requires thought and not just hammering attack.

I love Chrono Trigger just as much as I adore Persona 4. This isn't about hating long or short games.

I can understand that. And I think you are right when you say most people do not like grinding nor "filler" because most people simply don't have the patience nor time. That's why I do think a short South Park game is the right move here because ultimately it will appeal to more people.

I guess what I was really trying to convey is that there are people like myself though that do enjoy those long and somewhat complicated RPG experiences and don't really see the content as filler. For that reason I hope developers keep making those kind of games for people like me.

WanderingWind

I can understand that. And I think you are right when you say most people do not like grinding nor "filler" because most people simply don't have the patience nor time. That's why I do think a short South Park game is the right move here because ultimately it will appeal to more people.

I guess what I was really trying to convey is that there are people like myself though that do enjoy those long and somewhat complicated RPG experiences and don't really see the content as filler. For that reason I hope developers keep making those kind of games for people like me.

Again, you have literally nothing to worry about. Short RPGs are still vastly, vastly, vastly in the minority and 2014 is looking to be a banner year for the genre, no matter your preference in style.

Mendrox

Wow! Those are some very positive accolades! These mini reviews have been getting me more and more confident in the quality of the product.

I really dont know why the embargo is till tomorrow lol. I don't expect any bad review (well, there are the stupid reviewer which hate fun and hate south park I guess, but these are reviews to ignore these fuckers lol) don't be afraid, it is a really really good game.

WanderingWind

I really dont know why the embargo is till tomorrow lol. I don't expect any bad review (well, there are the stupid reviewer which hate fun and hate south park I guess, but these are reviews to ignore these fuckers lol) don't be afraid, it is a really really good game.

It is fairly bewildering to me, as well. It's usually reserved for like Marble Madness Returnz or whatever.

meh it totally depends upon the systems built into the game and not the length. diablo 3 can be 20 hours if you can just earn experience faster. ultimately it all boils down to the systems and not so much about how long you're gonna have to play to get the systems down..most of the time the strategies are straightforward, enemy resistances and weaknesses are learned and understood quickly, and mastering things and how they work can be done within 5 fights/encounters, not 20.
you don't need 10 hours to get the magic system down in any RPGs, you just need a couple of fights. most of the encounters end up with you spamming the attack command and not strategizing. why? after the first encounter, you've seen the extent of what you should (not can) do.

Grief.exe

I've had it pre-ordered for a few weeks on Steam. Just awesome to see the quality vindicated like that.

I'm sure the nut-job side of the press may be trumpeting the politically correct card. They seem to have gotten particularly crazy lately.

Petrie

Banned
Well, you can't just take every example that proves you incorrect and just throw them out because you personally don't consider them peers for arbitrary reasons. They're big budget, successful RPGs on the same generation of consoles. That's the base definition of "peer" in this context.

I'm disregarding them because they really aren't what we're talking about, and are as much RPG in this context as something like Borderlands or hell Castle Crashers and the like. These games have RPG elements but really aren't the same genre as something like South Park.

Like I said give me long like Persona where the battles are actually relevant. Don't give me long like all the other games where most battles I'm spamming A because winning is a foregone conclusion.

v0mitg0d

Embargo is up tomorrow, but regardless I wouldn't want to spoil a single thing for anyone. Some of the random stuff that happens--even the tiniest of things--are just so great! All I'm going to say is...tomorrow there is going to be a LOOOOOOT to talk about. :D

I've had it pre-ordered for a few weeks on Steam. Just awesome to see the quality vindicated like that.

I'm sure the nut-job side of the press may be trumpeting the politically correct card. They seem to have gotten particularly crazy lately.
I just hope they review it as a South Park game and not expecting a touch of class here and there. Like they actually understand South Park

Amon-Lau

Hmm, it's funny how both steam and GMG won't let me buy this due to region locking while I can get it easy via the Ubi store... :p

WanderingWind

I'm disregarding them because they really aren't what we're talking about, and are as much RPG in this context as something like Borderlands or hell Castle Crashers and the like. These games have RPG elements but really aren't the same genre as something like South Park.

Yeah, Castle Crashers is just like Dragon Age and Mass Effect.

I just hope they review it as a South Park game and not expecting a touch of class here and there. Like they actually understand South Park

I hope your right. If a game like Dragons Crown got dinged for it's art style and the internet fueled with drama because of it, I seriously worry how some of these reviewers are going to take the things I saw in this game. My goodness.

WanderingWind

They're all games in other genres with RPG elements. These aren't standard RPG fare, and clearly aren't in the same genre as South Park. We're talking about a specific type of RPG here.

What is your personal definition that includes a game you haven't played, but doesn't include Dragon Age or Mass Effect?

Petrie

Banned
What is your personal definition that includes a game you haven't played, but doesn't include Dragon Age or Mass Effect?

What game haven't I played? I'm 12 hours into South Park. It is not in the same genre as something like Mass Effect.

Perhaps read the entire discussion that got us to this point before jumping down my throat. Would give you a lot more credibility.

WanderingWind

What game haven't I played? I'm 12 hours into South Park. It is not in the same genre as something like Mass Effect.

Well, explain how then. I've played it as well. It belongs firmly in the RPG category, as does Dragon Age and Mass Effect. None of which are Castle Crashers.

Petrie

Banned
All of this positivity...I can't take it!

Quick, somebody say something negative to calm me down a little.

Equipping new items and managing their "buffs" sucks.

But you won't care that it sucks.

Well, explain how then. I've played it as well. It belongs firmly in the RPG category, as does Dragon Age and Mass Effect. None of which are Castle Crashers.

If you think a game like South Park belongs in the same Genre as Mass Effect, there's really no where else for us to go with this discussion. One is JRPG influenced while the other is a shooter with a WRPG backdrop.

Top Bottom