• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park: The Stick of Truth |OT| Bigger, Longer, and Uncut (In select regions)

Petrie

Banned
Game suddenly jumps from recruiting someone and to the end.

I only got TWO summons, and I saw way more on streams (saw two other ones). I only did about 7(?) side quests, but there are way more. The sidequests aren't just fetch and hatch. They have a story too with cutscenes.

Hmm the games length is a two sided blade... on the one hand you want more of the game because it is such fun... but on the other hand it is the perfect length. The pacing is amazing and you just keep laughing all the way. Nothing tedious... nothing which "costs" time. I didn't feel like I wasted time once! That is a very big plus for me. The game is polished and looks like the show, the gags are more than amazing and the plot twists are better than in many other games, way better.

You are going to miss a very very (GOTY contender) good game this year if you aren't playing it because of the play length.

This makes a lot more sense. We're doing everything we come across as none of it feels like filler, it's all well designed and humorous throughout. Just getting the Summons fills your Facebook feed with humorous content. It's all great.

a small minority of people who start a game finish a game regardless of genre. Quality > quantity every time, except for that rare game that has both.

Ding ding ding. The majority of RPG players aren't finishing shit.

Game suddenly jumps from recruiting someone and to the end.

I only got TWO summons, and I saw way more on streams (saw two other ones). I only did about 7(?) side quests, but there are way more. The sidequests aren't just fetch and hatch. They have a story too with cutscenes.

Hmm the games length is a two sided blade... on the one hand you want more of the game because it is such fun... but on the other hand it is the perfect length. The pacing is amazing and you just keep laughing all the way. Nothing tedious... nothing which "costs" time. I didn't feel like I wasted time once! That is a very big plus for me. The game is polished and looks like the show, the gags are more than amazing and the plot twists are better than in many other games, way better.

You are going to miss a very very (GOTY contender) good game this year if you aren't playing it because of the play length.

Great to hear. I love South Park but between work and family don't have enough gaming time to play anything overly grindy

And that's why those games never achieve the sales of games that keep it tighter. I've got news for you: Xenoblade Chronicles is chock full of padding and filler. It's a good game, but one with a lot of fluff.

It's why the market for such games is getting smaller and smaller: a dwindling fanbase who want games they measure by length rather than strength of the entire experience.

Sales are not a mark of quality. Most of the time, they are the opposite.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Sales are not a mark of quality. Most of the time, they are the opposite.

er.. that's not true. I know you're saying that specifically in reference to the Call of Duty games, but even those games are generally well reviewed each time. They're not 'bad' games by a long shot.

Even the latest one, Ghosts, is generally a 70+ metacritic game across all the platforms, still very respectable.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
That's quite subjective. As it stands, this "short" game is of far higher quality than something like Xenoblade.

Its not subjective. My GOTY 2013 sold 5,000 copies.

Sales dont mean shit for quality and content.

That's quite subjective. As it stands, this "short" game is of far higher quality than something like Xenoblade.

Not really. It's a trend that while not universally applicable is a reality in every single type of art in existence.

Now, saying that south park is better than xenoblade? That's subjective.

erawsd

Oh, and because I am not restricted to any embargo shit, here are my impressions. I finished the game and have a few sidequests left, but my playtime in the end was 8 hours. Yes 8 hours, but I think that they don't count cutscenes, because I seriously played more than 8 hours. I played the uncut version.

Positiv:
- Looks exactly like the show
- Minute after minute is funnier and funnier
- I thought that every important South Park aspect got into the game (important episodes, characters, easter eggs)
- Story is funny and awesome, I know, South Park never had a serious story, but the story in this game just screamed for more
- Game is a nice midlong snack for a weekend, very nice snack
- Gameplay is awesome after 1 hour, many options to handle battles and nothing too easy or hard, I played on normal difficulty
- Skill points and everything is good enough, nothing special
- Enemy spoiler
I seriously loved fightning against every Nazi Zombie enemy lol

Negativ:

- I want more story (positiv!)
- A few slowdowns sometimes, but nothing really bad (PS3 Version)
- Cut content shouldn't be allowed :p
- Equipment level based... I don't know why they did that, because low level equipment CAN be better than high level equipment
- Level cap
- Sudden hp increase in the end game (i don't know how stats get leveled up...went from 2000 hp to 4500 hp in 30 minutes playtime.. and I don't know how)

This game is the best Licence game I've ever played. Yes, imo it's better than the Batman games these past years. For many people 60$ will be too much, but I can reassure you that the game is easily worth 40$. For South Park Fans it's worth more than 60$ ;-)

Thanks for the impressions! I wonder if you're on to something about cutscenes not counting against game time? There's a guy on twitch that did a playthrough skipping every cutscene, and he finished it in 8hrs.

Would explain why others have talked about it feeling a lot longer than the game timer says.

GeoGonzo

Guess I will be getting it for my new laptop then. I don't know why they censored it just for the consoles.
I think their train of thought went something like this:

"Who could complain about this game? It would have to be someone who isn't familiar with South Park, maybe someone old, who bought this game by mistake thinking it would be nice for a young kid." ... My God, isn't europe FULL of old people?"

Smurf

Banned
And that's why those games never achieve the sales of games that keep it tighter. I've got news for you: Xenoblade Chronicles is chock full of padding and filler. It's a good game, but one with a lot of fluff.

It's why the market for such games is getting smaller and smaller: a dwindling fanbase who want games they measure by length rather than strength of the entire experience.

Length contributes to the world and character experience that is essential in an rpg especially, that's not to say people are measuring it by length but more time is typically needed to establish things in this genre than others.

There's a degree of boiling frog syndrome from this, Ground Zeroes and the Left Behind thread when the length has finally come out. I don't think people would have been so accepting of it and the price attached were it known before hype had reached fever pitch.

Petrie

Banned
Its not subjective. My GOTY 2013 sold 5,000 copies.

Sales dont mean shit for quality and content.

It's 100% subjective if we're using things like definitions and reality.

Not really. It's a trend that while not universally applicable is a reality in every single type of art in existence.

Now, saying that south park is better than xenoblade? That's subjective.

The only trend I see is people finally seeing that a game like Chrono Trigger had it right years ago foregoing all the fluff for a distilled, amazing experience while others keep padding it out to appease the crowd that values number of hours over quality of experience.

Length contributes to the world and character experience that is essential in an rpg especially, that's not to say people are measuring it by length but more time is typically needed to establish things in this genre than others.

There's a degree of boiling frog syndrome from this, Ground Zeroes and the Left Behind thread when the length has finally come out. I don't think people would have been so accepting of it and the price attached were it known before hype had reached fever pitch.

Sure length of story, which this game has all over the place. It does have the advantage of well-established characters though.

The length of these games being referenced though isn't in story, it's in meaningless filler battles and grindy side-quests.

It's 100% subjective if we're using things like definitions and reality.

The only trend I see is people finally seeing that a game like Chrono Trigger had it right years ago foregoing all the fluff for a distilled, amazing experience while others keep padding it out to appease the crowd that values number of hours over quality of experience.

Just because a game is short doesn't mean it wont have.pacing problems. Bioshock infinite had horrid pacing and it was only 12 hours long.

Also, you seem to think that any long RPG is full of padding and fluff. That is simply not true, and shows that you dont play too many RPGs.

Petrie

Banned
Just because a game is short doesn't mean it wont have.pacing problems. Bioshock infinite had horrid pacing and it was only 12 hours long.

Also, you seem to think that any long RPG is full of padding and fluff. That is simply not true, and shows that you dont play too many RPGs.

The ones without padding and fluff are few and far between, and the examples offered in this thread aren't among them.

Nillansan

PSA for all PC players in censored territories who have bought an uncensored key! As I warned may be the case, keys are indeed region-locked: http://games.on.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=200632 As I also explained, though, you can get around this by using a VPN. To do that:

- Download and install Spotflux
- After Spotflux has connected, type "what's my ip" into Google to ensure it's changed
- Redeem your key
- Uninstall Spotflux

The game itself is region-free; a VPN is only necessary for activation. In the interest of full disclosure:

Thank you Jase!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
The ones without padding and fluff are few and far between, and the examples offered in this thread aren't among them.

Its not for you to decide what people enjoy. People enjoy those games and what you consider "needless" fluff might be what they wanted from those games because they...I know, here comes the shocking part... enjoy it and like it more than a 8 hour story focussed game. Did that ever cross your mind?

That's because it's incredibly difficult to have an epic journey that wraps up very quickly and is still satisfying to the player. There's a very good reason why chrono trigger stands alone in that.

I think you aren't realizing that making an rpg too short is just as dangerous as making it too long.

I'm being buried by new releases and games I want to finish, yet I'm compelled to buy this now. Damn me and my impulsive nature! I need help emerging from my backlog!

Toma

I'm being buried by new releases and games I want to finish, yet I'm compelled to buy this now. Damn me and my impulsive nature! I need help emerging from my backlog!

Just give us all your money and you are good to go for a time of marathoning your backlog. ;p

Petrie

Banned
Its not for you to decide what people enjoy. People enjoy those games and what you consider "needless" fluff might be what they wanted from those games because they...I know, here comes the shocking part... enjoy it and like it more than a 8 hour story focussed game. Did that ever cross your mind?

And thankfully the market seems to agree with me as these experiences move mostly to handheld where they can be more bite-sized and not require a large budget.

That's because it's incredibly difficult to have an epic journey that wraps up very quickly and is still satisfying to the player. There's a very good reason why chrono trigger stands alone in that.

I think you aren't realizing that making an rpg too short is just as dangerous as making it too long.

No I just think it has to do with catering to a small vocal fan-base for whom seeing that a game is 120 hours is the most important selling point. I don't think it has anything to do with being more difficult.

Moff

I just gave up and preloaded the swiss version on steam, I hope its the uk one but I'm not sure, maybe its the german censored one.
where can I see the version? steam account doesnt specify anything, only the title of the game + preorder package.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Does any VPN work or just Spotflux? I have Private Internet Access.

Any VPN that isn't based in:

AE United Arab Emirates
AM Armenia
AT Austria
AU Australia
AZ Azerbaijan
BH Bahrain
BY Belarus
DE Germany
GE Georgia
HK Hong Kong
IL Israel
IQ Iraq
IR Iran, Islamic Republic of
JO Jordan
JP Japan
KG Kyrgyzstan
KW Kuwait
KZ Kazakhstan
LB Lebanon
LY Libya
MD Moldova, Republic of
NZ New Zealand
OM Oman
PK Pakistan
QA Qatar
RU Russian Federation
SA Saudi Arabia
SG Singapore
SY Syrian Arab Republic
TJ Tajikistan
TM Turkmenistan
TW Taiwan
UA Ukraine
UZ Uzbekistan
YE Yemen

...will work.

I just gave up and preloaded the swiss version on steam, I hope its the uk one but I'm not sure, maybe its the german censored one.
where can I see the version? steam account doesnt specify anything, only the title of the game + preorder package.

The German version applies only to Germany and Austria. You can check which sub you've bought by visiting your account history page.

Toma

And thankfully the market seems to agree with me as these experiences move mostly to handheld where they can be more bite-sized and not require a large budget.

No I just think it has to do with catering to a small vocal fan-base for whom seeing that a game is 120 hours is the most important selling point. I don't think it has anything to do with being more difficult.

Your ignorance is baffling. Seriously.

Petrie

Banned
Your ignorance is baffling. Seriously.

Ignorance to what exactly? The fact that as these types of games have continued to chase the checkbox of "80+ hours" they've also seen sales dwindle? That I'm not willing to just disregard market realities?

I love the genre and want to see it succeed and get more actual budgets for something other than Final Fantasy. Games like this are exactly what we need.

Moff

The German version applies only to Germany and Austria. You can check which sub you've bought by visiting your account history page.

yep I saw your post on the other page but it only says "South Park™: The Stick of Truth™ + Ultimate Fellowship Pack (Preorder)" for me, on both tabs.
its weird because for thief for isntance it says "Thief Pre-Purchase ROW", but nothing spezific for south park

Toma

Ignorance to what exactly? The fact that as these types of games have continued to chase the checkbox of "80+ hours" they've also seen sales dwindle? That I'm not willing to just disregard market realities?

That you are trying to argue "sales = quality".

Its honestly baffling.

I enjoyed The World Ends With You a lot more than shit like Xenoblade and FF12. Those games felt like they only wanted to waste my time whereas TWEWY kept a quick pace, had zero filler and finished leaving me wanting more rather than feeling burnt out. South Park looks to be longer than that game and have roughly an entire seasons worth of content. More than enough for me. Remember, it's a South Park game first, and a simple Paper Mario style RPG second. It's not trying to be an epic, hardcore grindy 80 hour RPG and I don't think every RPG should try and aim for that, especially a game based on a comedy show. Another example is Persona 4. Everybody loves that game. I even liked the story and characters but the repetitive dungeons drove me up the wall and completely killed the game for me, but hey if people are into that kinda stuff...

Toma

I'm arguing that they are one barometer, and one of the only ones we have in this admittedly young industry/art form.

Let me know if you have something real to add though other than lol.

You dont need a "young" art/industry to know that sales are not in any way, shape or form representative of the quality of a product. Its always more about perception than the actual quality. Sure, quality is one part of what the audience/buyers perceive about a product, but not even remotely the most important. You can sell utter shit if you know how to market it. Having more budget/clever advertisements/brand strength than a similar strong product is a very important factor in getting more sales as well, despite that meaning nothing at all for the quality of a product.

Your "barometer" is saying that a game selling 20,000,000 copies is potentially 20,000 times better than a game selling 1000 copies. How someone can even begin to argue that this is reflecting the actual quality of a game is beyond me, so yeah, even the broken aggregate review scale is better at reflecting the quality of a game, and we all know how good that actually is.

I think long and meaty games can be fun but... honestly folks that can afford to play such titles usually fall under two categories from what I have seen.

A. Regardless of age, you have lots of free time.(I remember these days well.)

B. You only play 1-5 games a year or can only afford to do so.

Of course there are exceptions. I know for me personally with full time career, fiancee, baby due in a month, two dogs, youtube video content, social life, etc. Im lucky to find the time I can for games. Having beat Southpark TSOT already, I can say for me, personally, it was the absolute perfect length.

Toma

Pretty sure Aliens: Colonial Marines sold over a million.

I am sure its better than basically any Indie game out there. I mean, how could sales lie to us, right?

I was thinking of Aliens in that regard as well, but unfortunately, I didnt have sales data :p

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper

I love the genre and want to see it succeed and get more actual budgets for something other than Final Fantasy. Games like this are exactly what we need.

You're not exactly caught up, bro. Here. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=741172

Petrie

Banned
You dont need a "young" art/industry to know that sales are not in any way, shape or form representative of the quality of a product. Its always more about perception than the actual quality. Sure, quality is one part of what the audience/buyers perceive about a product, but not even remotely the most important. You can sell utter shit if you know how to market it. Having more budget/clever advertisements/brand strength than a similar strong product is a very important factor in getting more sales as well, despite that meaning nothing at all for the quality of a product.

Your "barometer" is saying that a game selling 20,000,000 copies is potentially 20,000 times better than a game selling 1000 copies. How can someone even begin to argue that this is reflecting the actual quality of a game, so yeah, even the broken aggregate review scale is better at reflecting the quality of a game, and we all know how good that actually is.

I said nothing of the sort. I made a general statement that quality of the overall games being offered has suffered due to chasing the huge number of hours instead of chasing quality. You're inferring things I never said nor even implied.

I see barely anything there with the type of budget and production value I'm talking about. A large smattering of indie fare and a few of the exact types of games that are the problem (hello again Lightning) doesn't make a strong case for your point.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
The game length is worth nothing, but it's absolutely a perfect length for this type of RPG. Comedy is about timing.

Grief.exe

This game is the best Licence game I've ever played. Yes, imo it's better than the Batman games these past years. For many people 60$ will be too much, but I can reassure you that the game is easily worth 40$. For South Park Fans it's worth more than 60$ ;-)

Wow! Those are some very positive accolades! These mini reviews have been getting me more and more confident in the quality of the product.

Seanspeed

Banned
People measuring value and quality by playtime are doing it wrong.

Xenoblade Chronicles and FF XII sit in my closet unfinished. It's not satisfying to buy something and never see the end of it. 2 hours spent with Journey was better than both of those games combined.
And what if I love and have finished both Xenoblade and FFXII?

8 hours(or 9 or 10 with cutscenes, whatever) is damn short. I, too, will be waiting to get it on sale.

Top Bottom