• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park: The Stick of Truth |OT| Bigger, Longer, and Uncut (In select regions)

Petrie

Banned
Jesus, dude. This is just sad. Knock this shit off.

Knock what off? You're telling me I didn't play the game when reading the actual discussion would've told you I'm pretty far into it. It shows you react to one statement without bothering with any context for the discussion.

The game is the opposite of grindy. I hit the level cap 2 hours before the end which was a little odd, but fine nonetheless.

Things that make this one of the best games I have played in years:
  1. Innovative and interesting usage of social netowork
  2. Excellent 2D world structure with plenty of exploring and secrets
  3. Superb writing in both plot and in sidequests
  4. Perfect lenght to cosume a rainy weekend yet still leaving you wanting more
  5. Tons of loot that is varied in both attributes and in appearance
  6. Great usage of many of South Park's classic characters and gags that is perfect for fans of the show
  7. Fun Battle system ( for the most part). I enjoyed the main characters abilities and resource management for potions, etc was very well done. You can use 1 potion and attack once per turn rather than either/or. Great mechanic.
  8. Many real, laugh out loud moments, and a few cringing gross-out ones too

There were a couple of annoyances that could have been improved but really did not knock this out of GoTY contention at all. I absolutely hate QTEs and I hate unexpected QTEs more than anything so fuck the asshole who decided to put the one that seemed to come out of nowhere in the final boss fight and also who chose to put them in some of the secondary character abilities. Putting QTES that are way too fast to randomly mash a button to stick the ability basically taught me not to try abilities at all. The main character's abilities are not really QTEs and are rather fun to use. Also there are some training parts and a plot part where the controller input is a bit awkward and you tend to fail a few times. One of these causes death and you have to go through a loading process. That could have been handled better. My gripes account for maybe 10 minutes out of the entire game.

Thanks for the impressions, color me hyped

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Knock what off? You're telling me I didn't play the game when reading the actual discussion would've told you I'm pretty far into it. It shows you react to one statement without bothering with any context for the discussion.

Still waiting on how you partition the genre. What's your criteria? What you need to knock off is the "Well, if you don't know, I'm not gonna tell you" junk. Either you can quantify the metrics you personally use and we can talk about that, or you can't, in which case we can't.

Petrie

Banned
Still waiting on how you partition the genre. What's your criteria? What you need to knock off is the "Well, if you don't know, I'm not gonna tell you" junk. Either you can quantify the metrics you personally use and we can talk about that, or you can't, in which case we can't.

I did qualify. South Park is very much a JRPG. It's a lighter version, but that's what it is. The games you mentioned are all very westerm RPG, and most of them are only so in secondary roles, being primarily other genres in their gameplay systems.

It seems like fans of RPGs in general want to pull in games as examples that really don't fit just to give credence to the idea that the genre is doing fine, when in fact RPGs in the sense many of us mean are not. This is a Final Fantasy style game with a great license and all the fluff cut.

WanderingWind

"I can't say too much because of the embargo but if you dont want to waste your money, please wait and read reviews on Tuesday."

It burns. I want to tell you errything. :(

I did qualify. South Park is very much a JRPG. It's a lighter version, but that's what it is. The games you mentioned are all very westerm RPG, and most of them are only so in secondary roles, being primarily other genres in their gameplay systems.

It seems like fans of RPGs in general want to pull in games as examples that really don't fit just to give credence to the idea that the genre is doing fine, when in fact RPGs in the sense many of us mean are not. This is a Final Fantasy style game with a great license and all the fluff cut.

You're not wrong on the first point, but you are on the second. The genre is doing fine because right now, in 2014, there are more of every type of RPG than in nearly any year I can think of. We've come full circle, because I gave a list that Durante is adding to constantly about games that are coming out in just this year. What particular flavor of RPG do you not see on that list? I see literally every type across all budgets and level of expectations.

Hubble

Can anyone tell me which episodes to watch that are tied in with the game? I think there is a few specific ones right? Of course the game parodies multiple things from the show.

WanderingWind

Can anyone tell me which episodes to watch that are tied in with the game? I think there is a few specific ones right? Of course the game parodies multiple things from the show.

The Black Friday episodes from the latest season that they're airing tonight or at SP studios are the biggest tie ins.

Petrie

Banned
You're not wrong on the first point, but you are on the second. The genre is doing fine because right now, in 2014, there are more of every type of RPG. We've come full circle, because I gave a list that Durante is adding to constantly about games that are coming out in just this year. What particular flavor of RPG do you not see on that list? I see literally every type across all budgets and level of expectations.

It seems you are misinterpreting my argument. I'm not saying these games don't exist, merely that they are getting rarer and less financially viable and that I believe chasing length over quality is a big part of that. Big series are moving to handheld, or last-gen. I think making streamlined experiences could bring a renaissance to that specific sub-genre that 'm looking for, and it's games like Paper Mario and South Park now that give me that hope.

WanderingWind

It seems you are misinterpreting my argument. I'm not saying these games don't exist, merely that they are getting rarer and less financially viable and that I believe chasing length over quality is a big part of that. Big series are moving to handheld, or last-gen. I think making streamlined experiences could bring a renaissance to that specific sub-genre that 'm looking for, and it's games like Paper Mario and South Park now that give me that hope.

I understand, I just disagree that they're getting rarer. The genre is in the middle of a renaissance. You would be entirely correct even just a couple of years ago, but things have absolutely changed. Not to go down this road, but we do have Kickstarter, Dark Souls and the success of mainstream RPGs bringing attention back to the genre to thank for the resurgence.

erawsd

It burns. I want to tell you errything. :(

Ah, thats just my Jason Schreier impression.

I haven't played the game but considering how much of a joy it has been to watch others play through the first hour, even pewdiepie -- there is nothing anyone could say that will convince me that I won't have a blast playing it myself.

popo

Ok, before you talk to me like I am a complete idiot maybe you should read up on the subject a little bit?

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/02/27/s...will-only-be-censored-in-certain-territories/

Here I will save you time... "according to a Tweet by digital retailer Get Games, censoring will occur in "Germany, Austria, Australia, Singapore, Hong Kong & Taiwan".

HENCE why I asked about the UK and if anyone had heard of it being censored here, so yes I am aware of the fact UK is in Europe as I live here, but it being censored all across Europe is unreliable information according to multiple articles.

There have been conflicting details even from official reps. Seems the only consensus is Australia and Germany (nazi stuff) are confirmed censored on console and North America isn't. Some of europe definitely is, but it is unclear if there are country specific versions within europe for either PC or console).

If you are concerned I would suggest waiting until retail is released.

WanderingWind

I haven't played the game but considering how much of a joy it has been to watch others play through the first hour, even pewdiepie -- there is nothing anyone could say that will convince me that I won't have a blast playing it myself.

I know. I think people were being a bit harsh on the guy yesterday. We all want to talk about games that excite us....tomorrow is gonna be awesome.

anyone know if it will be on psn at midnight pst tonight? I was going to go to redbox at midnight, but i dont want to get murdered at the 7-11 its in front of

jschreier

I am not trying to convince you that it's not a blast to play. Hate this teasing stuff too, but given that I hyped up the game more than a little bit on Twitter, I felt obligated to tell my followers to wait for reviews. Sorry if that annoys you. My review goes up in 15 hours. Not much longer now.

Petrie

Banned
I understand, I just disagree that they're getting rarer. The genre is in the middle of a renaissance. You would be entirely correct even just a couple of years ago, but things have absolutely changed. Not to go down this road, but we do have Kickstarter, Dark Souls and the success of mainstream RPGs bringing attention back to the genre to thank for the resurgence.

This goes right against what I'm saying though. Dark Souls is anything but a JRPG. If you're happy to just have RPGs in general than sure it's a great time, but if something like Lost Odyssey is your cup of tea you are out of luck.

My question to those of you that are South Park fans. Would you prefer much longer experience, with characters that have dialog to read and also removed voice acting at times for just text at certain spots? OR everyone has VA with reading left only left to menus, and a much shorter experience? Just curious. I mean a lot of RPGS also focus on character development, which well... it's South Park. lol I'll leave it at that.

Damn, one of the Thief's spells is called
"Nagasaki", a shockwave that attacks all enemies

Brutal

If that is
the fart move, every class get's that.

WanderingWind

This goes right against what I'm saying though. Dark Souls is anything but a JRPG. If you're happy to just have RPGs in general than sure it's a great time, but if something like Lost Odyssey is your cup of tea you are out of luck.

I'm really unsure how you read that the way you did. I didn't say Dark Souls was or was not a JRPG, just that its success is a factor in the increased attention being paid to the RPG genre as a whole. But if you can tell me exactly what about LO you enjoyed, I can point to some games on the horizon that may be your particular cup of tea.

Petrie

Banned
My question to those of you that are South Park fans. Would you prefer much longer experience, with characters that have dialog to read and also removed voice acting at times for just text at certain spots? OR everyone has VA with reading left only left to menus, and a much shorter experience? Just curious. I mean a lot of RPGS also focus on character development, which well... it's South Park. lol I'll leave it at that.

They handled this perfectly. So much would be lost without the VA but the social network integration gives you "text only" content that makes complete sense in the context of the experience.

I'm really unsure how you read that the way you did. I didn't say Dark Souls was or was not a JRPG, just that its success is a factor in the increased attention being paid to the RPG genre as a whole. But if you can tell me exactly what about LO you enjoyed, I can point to some games on the horizon that may be your particular cup of tea.

I wasn't implying that, I'm merely saying that the success of games like Dark Souls is only drawing attention away from games I'd be interested in.

When it comes to Lost Odyssey I had hoped it would be successful and we'd get the concept iterated on more. The game had a budget and production value that we aren't going to get with the other titles coming in the sub-genre. I want an FF budget without being tied to garbage like lightning.

DukeBobby

The latter, of course.

A South Park game with some voice acting removed? No thanks.

abundant

The second one easily. What makes this game great is that it looks and sounds just like an episode of South Park.

Good to see your thoughts on the VA stuff guys. I have no doubts this also factored into the length. It is what it is. Just a bit longer for the reviews!

Hari Seldon

So I see comments in this thread on the game's length. Is there some definitive reviewer commentary on the length or is this all scuttlebutt right now?

Rolfgang

They're all games in other genres with RPG elements. These aren't standard RPG fare, and clearly aren't in the same genre as South Park. We're talking about a specific type of RPG here.

Both the first Dragon Age and Mass Effect were RPG's, later instalments were indeed action games with RPG-elements.

erawsd

I am not trying to convince you that it's not a blast to play. Hate this teasing stuff too, but given that I hyped up the game more than a little bit on Twitter, I felt obligated to tell my followers to wait for reviews. Sorry if that annoys you. My review goes up in 15 hours. Not much longer now.

Dude I'm just poking fun at you, you have to admit you'v been a bit of a downer in the thread :p

I don't mean anything by that and it doesn't annoy me at all. As I mentioned many pages ago, I think that the "teasing" is actually very commendable considering the embargo and the fact that you just don't have to say anything at all -- so keep doing it!

Karak

So I see comments in this thread on the game's length. Is there some definitive reviewer commentary on the length or is this all scuttlebutt right now?

So far from 13-18. Which makes perfect sense as some will be quicker, die less times and so forth.
Without breaking NDA I can say mine was somewhere over 1 minute:)

Toa TAK

Banned
All of this positivity...I can't take it!

Quick, somebody say something negative to calm me down a little.

image.php

"It'll be too short!"
There you go.

Rolfgang

Ok, before you talk to me like I am a complete idiot maybe you should read up on the subject a little bit?

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/02/27/s...will-only-be-censored-in-certain-territories/

Here I will save you time... "according to a Tweet by digital retailer Get Games, censoring will occur in "Germany, Austria, Australia, Singapore, Hong Kong & Taiwan".

HENCE why I asked about the UK and if anyone had heard of it being censored here, so yes I am aware of the fact UK is in Europe as I live here, but it being censored all across Europe is unreliable information according to multiple articles.

Sorry for the idiotic-style comment, didn't mean it like that. At first I was also really confused, due to the rumors that only the German and Austria-versions in Europe would be censored. That was about the PC-versions tough. So then I was quite annoyed about the censoring and put all that annoyance in that comment, so my apologies.

bodine1231

The combat is JRPG but the quest and town structure is very much WRPG. I found it to be a perfect mix of Mario & Luigi's combat and Fallout 3's questing/exploration/loot.

Put about 6 hours in yesterday and had a blast. I've seen the first few seasons of the show and haven't watched since but I still got allot of the references and the humor in general is on point.

WanderingWind

I wasn't implying that, I'm merely saying that the success of games like Dark Souls is only drawing attention away from games I'd be interested in.

When it comes to Lost Odyssey I had hoped it would be successful and we'd get the concept iterated on more. The game had a budget and production value that we aren't going to get with the other titles coming in the sub-genre. I want an FF budget without being tied to garbage like lightning.

Well, keep your eyes on X, FFXV (obviously) and the Tales and Atlier titles, those are all big budget JRPGs. They may do it for you. If turn-based combat is a must, you're playing one of the entries now that also fits, but Trails may be for you. Thought they're not JRPGs and are decidedly lower budget than FF, if party mechanics are important, check out Divinity when it's released, as the beta is showing some interesting things they're doing there, if the take on semi-mature storytelling is what you're after, check out Blackguards.

Stuart444

So if I wanted to get this on steam and unlock it early (I'm in the UK) via VPN. Could I just buy it via my own store and put on steam with the VPN on at the time it unlocks? If not, how does it work? I usually don't do this but South Park, I'd make an exception for. :p

Milennia

Well, keep your eyes on X, FFXV (obviously) and the Tales and Atlier titles, those are all big budget JRPGs. They may do it for you. If turn-based combat is a must, you're playing one of the entries now that also fits, but Trails may be for you. Thought they're not JRPGs and are decidedly lower budget than FF, if party mechanics are important, check out Divinity when it's released, as the beta is showing some interesting things they're doing there, if the take on semi-mature storytelling is what you're after, check out Blackguards.

No love for xillia 2 :/

Top Bottom