• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park: The Stick of Truth |OT| Bigger, Longer, and Uncut (In select regions)

Mondy

Banned
PSN seriously needs to introduce a preloading system.

Also off topic, is GAF running like arse for anyone else?

Dartastic

I had an open slot in my Game Q and everything, and Gamefly didn't ship mine. This is the first time that this happened to me. GODDAMNIT.

rjinaz

HENCE why I asked about the UK and if anyone had heard of it being censored here.

A little summary of what we know so far based on various tweets and responses from Ubisoft and other companies:

Console versions in Europe are all censored including UK. About 2 minutes of cut content replaced with a description and image.
The German version has additional censoring due to Swastikas.
PC version in Europe is not censored.
The Australia version and any region that is getting the Australian version such as some Asian markets will be censored.
There is no censoring in the US version, console or otherwise.

Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong but this I learned from this thread unless there have been some new developments I missed.

My bad if this has been discussed but does anyone know of any PC deals going on for this game? I'm buying either way, but damn it'd be nice to get this for $40 instead of $60.

Well, catching up on this thread has certainly convinced me I should think hard before making a complaint or comment about the length of a game around here ever again.

I just look at it like I look at Tetris or classic Mega Man. I've probably put more hours into these games than any other games in my life. The cost to enjoyment factor is probably asymptotically approaching hundredths of a penny per hour. Of course, making it even more complicated, these are also games which I've probably purchased 3 or 4 times in the last 20 years.

How long I play a game is relative to how much I enjoy playing it, not simply how long the campaign is. What's worse, a 100 hour game like Skyrim that feels like a hiking simulator with house chores for quests and something less enjoyable than house chores for combat, or a 5 hour game that's so full of stuff and possibilities that it feels fresh replaying it 20 times? How would you judge a game that has a 20 hour campaign, but it takes place in the same 5 stages? Everyone's going to have a different answer.

It really boils down to an individual's value judgement of variety vs quality, and the monetary value a game has to them personally, which ultimately lead to complaints which are equally as valid as they are totally subjective.

If all games were $2, people would do like they do with Steam and buy everything that ever comes out and then the value judgement becomes one of which game is worth your time, which is really closer to the heart of the matter. Well, I mean, unless you just collect games, which I guess is fine too.

Zukuu

Banned
A little summary of what we know so far based on various tweets and responses from Ubisoft and other companies:

Console versions in Europe are all censored including UK. About 2 minutes of cut content replaced with a description and image.
The German version has additional censoring due to Swastikas.
PC version in Europe is not censored.
The Australia version and any region that is getting the Australian version such as some Asian markets will be censored.
There is no censoring in the US version, console or otherwise.

Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong but this I learned from this thread unless there have been some new developments I missed.
it's 2x ~20 seconds afaik

Saiyan-Rox

PSN seriously needs to introduce a preloading system.

Also off topic, is GAF running like arse for anyone else?

PSN does have pre-loading well my Tales of symphonia downloaded the day before release.

this week is gonna be reaaal slow lol

Gamefly finally shipped mine while I was asleep. I though I had missed the window, and was getting a launch copy. So happy now. I have Thief and South park where I'll play as a Thief in-route.

Man is hyped after seeing the positive comments here. Only 24 hours until steam unlocks! One thing I'm real curious about the game is how they handle character development and use of characters from the show. The South Park universe and characters are already really well defined with 15(?) seasons of backstory/adventures behind them, I'm guessing they won't have to spend much time redeveloping side characters like in other RPGs and can focus on plot and jokes. Then again all the kids are Larping so idk. It's great to hear that everything is voice acted, the voices are really what makes South Park South Park, glad they didn't cut back on them. Man I really wish this would unlock early the wait is killing me lol

zlatko

Banned
Pumped.

Going mage first time to see all the crazy fart spells.

I have to complete it with my limited play time before TitanFall and moreso, Dark Souls 2 next week.

March <3 <3

See if you can figure this one out.

I went to Kmart again just to see if they had taken the games off the shelf. Instead, they were not only still up, but now had a $10 Kmart Spacebucks promotion attached to them. The promotion was valid from 03/02 to 03/08/2014.

So I tried again, but I still couldn't purchase the game until 03/04.

RPGCrazied

Woot, order shipped. I'm getting the PS3 version, by a few people in here they say its not that bad, certainly not new vegas levels in performance issues. So hyped.

I haven't been this excited for an RPG in a long time. I know some people will want to kill me for saying this, but I'm more excited about this game than Dark Souls 2 and The Witcher 3. It just looks so.. unique. Plus you have not only the South Park look and style, but also an oldschool-slash-Paper Mario combat system going on which is fantastic.

Grief.exe

I hope your right. If a game like Dragons Crown got dinged for it's art style and the internet fueled with drama because of it, I seriously worry how some of these reviewers are going to take the things I saw in this game. My goodness.

That is the reality right now, Im sure Ubisoft is worried about that as well. Which would explain the release day embargoes on, what is amounting to, quite a quality title.
Certain institutions have picked up the politically correct sword recently for some reason.

Not all media has to be black and white, truly compelling media is more gray. See: Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, Escape from Butcher Bay, House of Cards, etc.
My point is, not every piece of media should conform to a particular set of morale standards.

I haven't been this excited for an RPG in a long time. I know some people will want to kill me for saying this, but I'm more excited about this game than Dark Souls 2 and The Witcher 3. It just looks so.. unique. Plus you have not only the South Park look and style, but also an oldschool-slash-Paper Mario combat system going on which is fantastic.

Nintendo killed off the Paper Mario franchise's gameplay, so there isn't many other games where you can get something like this. Not to mention the humor and visual style are quite unique as well.

What you are most excited for is completely subjective, so can't fault you there.

Hubble

The Black Friday episodes from the latest season that they're airing tonight or at SP studios are the biggest tie ins.

Thanks! Bookmarked to watch.

Yes!! Gamefly sent the 360 version today. Sending this turd Lightning Returns back.

Ummm, how do you know if you never played it? Very ignorant statement.

I hope your right. If a game like Dragons Crown got dinged for it's art style and the internet fueled with drama because of it, I seriously worry how some of these reviewers are going to take the things I saw in this game. My goodness.

I think a case can be made for South Park's humor in the context of satire which - fairly or otherwise - is not extended to games with similar intent but inferior execution.

Now that I think about it more this is the most fun I've ever had with a rpg actually. I really hope it does well because I want more content or a sequel. You guys are going to be absolutely shocked by some of the stuff that made it in lol

zlatko

Banned
Two things if anyone could confirm:

1) As you get new equipment(head, body,weapon) it will be reflected visually in game?(I love customizing my look in RPGs)

2) Has it been confirmed this game is 20+ hours long AT LEAST with all side quests included?

I already pre ordered, but I just want to set my expectations accordingly.

Moff

So if I buy the game in the Netherlands, PC version, will I get censored or not?

apparently, only the german and austrian european pc versions are censored
I bought it on steam in switzerland and it seems to be the uncensored version

See if you can figure this one out.

I went to Kmart again just to see if they had taken the games off the shelf. Instead, they were not only still up, but now had a $10 Kmart Spacebucks promotion attached to them. The promotion was valid from 03/02 to 03/08/2014.

So I tried again, but I still couldn't purchase the game until 03/04.

oh, the problem is u went to kmart. They are more incompetent than the night shift in the walmart electronics section.

All this talk of getting games early reminds me of those guys before MW2 came out that called up their local walmart acting as the regional manager and got them to sell the game early because they wanted to compete more with gamestop lol. I have always wanted to try that

1) As you get new equipment(head, body,weapon) it will be reflected visually in game?(I love customizing my look in RPGs)

2) Has it been confirmed this game is 20+ hours long AT LEAST with all side quests included?

1. Absolutely everything is visualized in the game and some of the weapons and costumes are hilarious.

2. I spent almost 16 hrs, but I need to do a second play through.

RPGCrazied

I don't have it yet, but looking at some screens, it does look like armor and weapons change your look.

Also, from this thread its looking like about 15 hours or so. Maybe longer if you go slow and do absolutely everything.

EDIT: Ugh, beaten!

Hubble

Now that I think about it more this is the most fun I've ever had with a rpg actually. I really hope it does well because I want more content or a sequel. You guys are going to be absolutely shocked by some of the stuff that made it in lol

Exactly. First, the game does appear to be long enough. And quality over quantity. I rather have a well made unique experience than a longer game that is not as funny.

To those interested in the game but are weary, the ONLY WAY your going to get more of this is buying. Buy the game, support the developers, support Ubisoft, so they can give us more quality content filled experiences in the future.

Top Bottom