• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park: The Stick of Truth |OT| Bigger, Longer, and Uncut (In select regions)

I'm ok with a 10-20 hour game, so long as its a solid game.

I am curious how much replay value the game has. I imagine playing a different class will be fun but I kind of doubt the actual content of the game will change that much. I'm thinking of Alpha Protocol as another relatively short but great Obsidian RPG but I really doubt South Park has anything similar to the sort of diverging content that Alpha Protocol had.

RawNuts

Holy shit. This game.
Holy shit. I love it.

I'm quite a fan of South Park so it's great recognizing all of the references in the game; it's very densely packed with references yet still manages to tell a story that feels fresh, like it's a new, long episode of South Park rather than previous games which felt like they were latching onto and just re-telling old jokes from the show.

I'm also completely amazed as to how they're getting away with including so many celebrity likenesses and brand names; parody law must cover more than I give it credit for, because nothing seems to have been sacrificed in transition from the show.

The game itself feels fine, combat reminds me of the Mario & Luigi games slightly, which is a good thing; it's solid and doesn't feel like a chore you have to go through just to get to the next scene. I keep finding myself amazed at just how authentic the visuals are in mimicking the show, as well as the music cues and such; some of the cut-scenes are just like watching an episode of South Park but with your custom character being there.

I spent my first couple of hours not even doing the quests and just exploring around the city; I have a huge grin on my face the whole time I'm playing it. This game is perfect for any South Park fan.

rjinaz

I think this is the place to ask for this. Can anyone Cartmanfy my avatar?

wTOfPD5.png

ieatzombies

Holy shit. This game.
Holy shit. I love it.

I'm quite a fan of South Park so it's great recognizing all of the references in the game; it's very densely packed with references yet still manages to tell a story that feels fresh, like it's a new, long episode of South Park rather than previous games which felt like they were latching onto and just re-telling old jokes from the show.

I'm also completely amazed as to how they're getting away with including so many celebrity likenesses and brand names; parody law must cover more than I give it credit for, because nothing seems to have been sacrificed in transition from the show.

The game itself feels fine, combat reminds me of the Mario & Luigi games slightly, which is a good thing; it's solid and doesn't feel like a chore you have to go through just to get to the next scene. I keep finding myself amazed at just how authentic the visuals are in mimicking the show, as well as the music cues and such; some of the cut-scenes are just like watching an episode of South Park but with your custom character being there.

I spent my first couple of hours not even doing the quests and just exploring around the city; I have a huge grin on my face the whole time I'm playing it. This game is perfect for any South Park fan.
Damn! Praise Umbasa :)

erawsd

I'm not entirely sure what benefits - other than 60FPS - you could get. The game looks amazing on PS3. Other than increased resolution, not really getting what they could have squeezed out of this game.

I am willing to bet - in terms of size - this is one of the smaller last-gen games out there.

I don't think you'd even get 60fps, its 30 fps across the board.

Someone posted an interview with the devs basically saying that it looked nothing like the show at 60fps.

yatesl

I'm really tempted to VPN, but I'd hate the thought of Steam banning my account. I had the same dilemma when I activated a US copy of Saint's Row IV. At any minute I expected an e-mail from Valve saying that my account is locked.

Plus, I don't want to play in offline mode.

Grief.exe

Thats actually incorrect. Its 3:00am est.

Wow Ubisoft really pushed that back. I'll stay up until then to read some reviews.

Holy shit. This game.
Holy shit. I love it.

These positive impressions just keep flowing in.

I wonder if it is actually 2D assets from the show or actually 3D rendered geometry made to look 2D.

I'm really tempted to VPN, but I'd hate the thought of Steam banning my account. I had the same dilemma when I activated a US copy of Saint's Row IV. At any minute I expected an e-mail from Valve saying that my account is locked.

You won't ever get banned for using a VPN to play a game released in another territory early.

What will get you banned is using a VPN to purchase games at a discount from another region.

JustinBB7

Yea I'm not gonna bother with a VPN either, so I have to wait till thursday, why do they fuck over Europe again? It's digital, just let me play when it comes out for everybody, it's so stupid. Gonna have to be super careful the next couple of days now, thanks Ubi.

Damn, my preorder from Newegg shipped. I forgot I preordered the game a year ago for $12 off. Now I have to cancel my Gamestop order. 3 day wait.

NEO0MJ

All this talk of unlocking time on steam has me confused. Can anyone explain?

Thanks!

I don't think you'd even get 60fps, its 30 fps across the board.

Someone posted an interview with the devs basically saying that it looked nothing like the show at 60fps.

I think I can understand it in this case. If it looks too smooth it might break the illusion of the game being an interactive episode.

You won't ever get banned for using a VPN to play a game released in another territory early.

What will get you banned is using a VPN to purchase games at a discount from another region.

I used a VPN to activate the code I got from amazon a couple of days ago (the game is not available in my region), am I in trouble?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Here is a post I made on another forum earlier regarding VPN usage and Valve's (unofficial) stance on it. Also, you don't need to switch to Offline Mode; it's just something some recommend since you then don't need reload the VPN after quitting the game should "Play" revert back to "Pre-load". You can kill the VPN once you're in-game without issue -- you won't be booted out of the game or anything of the sort, although with Thief I noticed that Steam would revert your status from in-game to online, which can cause achievement trigger issues, however this could have just been a bug. Spotflux has no session limits, anyway, so there's no harm in leaving the VPN active while you're playing, which is what I did with Thief.

Grief.exe

Here is a post I made on another forum earlier regarding VPN usage and Valve's (unofficial) stance on it. Also, you don't need to switch to Offline Mode; it's just something some recommend since you then don't need reload the VPN after quitting the game should "Play" revert back to "Pre-load". You can kill the VPN once you're in-game without issue -- you won't be booted out of the game or anything of the sort, although with Thief I noticed that Steam would revert your status from in-game to online, which can cause achievement trigger issues, however this could have just been a bug. Spotflux has no session limits, anyway, so there's no harm in leaving the VPN active while you're playing, which is what I did with Thief.

Thanks Jase, I will keep that on mind next time I VPN.

43 people playing on Steam right now already.

Is this out in another region? Or are those just review copies?

All this talk of unlocking time on steam has me confused. Can anyone explain?

Thanks!

I think I can understand it in this case. If it looks too smooth it might break the illusion of the game being an interactive episode.

I used a VPN to activate the code I got from amazon a couple of days ago (the game is not available in my region), am I in trouble?

Game is locked on steam (wont let you finishing installing until 1pm EST)
t1393956000z1.png

http://store.steampowered.com/app/213670/

NEO0MJ

Here is a post I made on another forum earlier regarding VPN usage and Valve's (unofficial) stance on it.

Good to know that I'm (apparently) safe. But part of me is still afraid though as the game isn't even available for sale in my country.

Game is locked on steam (wont let you finishing installing until 1pm EST)
t1393956000z1.png

http://store.steampowered.com/app/213670/

That's a long wait. It's already March 4 for me (though it's midnight).

Damaniel

Banned
Holy shit. This game.
Holy shit. I love it.

From what I've read, it seems that technical issues aside, this will be a fun, albeit short, game (though the length of the game isn't important - maintaining high quality, consistent writing and humor throughout trumps 80-hour grindfests with non-voiced dialogue in games like this). About the only site that seems less than enthusiastic is Kotaku (at least going by the hints being dropped in this thread) - from his tone, I wouldn't be surprised to see the game get a 'No' for some arbitrary reason.

Doesn't matter what the reviews are like, still have it pre-ordered, still playing it as soon as I get home tomorrow.

Well just got a email from Ubisoft. Apparently some youtubers broke video review embargo for SP. They said they know it's frustrating but they appreciate me upholding the embargo for review and in doing so they are basically reevaluating who they send early copies too. DAMMNNNNNNNNN!!!!!

"Please know that your promise to uphold our embargo did not go unnoticed, especially as we consider sending early copies of more upcoming titles."

Milennia

Well just got a email from Ubisoft. Apparently some youtubers broke video review embargo for SP. They said they know it's frustrating but they appreciate me upholding the embargo for review and in doing so they are basically reevaluating who they send early copies too. DAMMNNNNNNNNN!!!!!

Nice. Your in the clear.
Feels good man.

JustinBB7

Wait so they won't send the people that broke it games in the future anymore? Wow :eek:

ieatzombies

Glad you're good on their end man. I knew you were concerned for a second. Looking forward to the review.

Wait so they won't send the people that broke it games in the future anymore? Wow :eek:

That's what it sounds like. Makes sense though. They said you product, stating a review embargo is a certain time and date, and you need to uphold it. Simple. Not sure why that is do hard for some folks.

Dario ff

Banned
Not surprised considering some of the people with review copies even posted freaking Steam Reviews on the store page for the game. Seems like they were too generous. One of them is even promoting his Youtube Let's play on the top-voted review!

winstano

That's my review done, should be hitting www.nextgengamingblog.com at um bongo time.

Any other EU reviewers?

Edit:

"Please know that your promise to uphold our embargo did not go unnoticed, especially as we consider sending early copies of more upcoming titles."

Yup, this embargo was *striiiiiiiiict*

Top Bottom