• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park: The Stick of Truth |OT| Bigger, Longer, and Uncut (In select regions)

The previews are glowing, so thats what we have to go on for now.
If your a fan of the series I'm sure you will also have your own value of the game to an extent on top of the reviews.

Seems like pure fan service, which is awesome for such a beloved series.

As much as I want this game to be good, previews cannot ever be trusted

-MD-

So does anyone think that this will be worth the $60?

Completely, yes. I'm expecting this to to be my GOTY if the videos are any indication. I haven't wanted to play a game this much in years.

Only other games that could rival it for me would be The Evil Within (if Mikami delivers, I'm not interested in a RE4 rehash, I want a real survival-horror game) and Dark Souls 2.

I haven't been following this whole Derrick thing aside from knowing he had a history of being a negative Nancy. Was his banning the result of a cumulative thing or a specific incident? Apologies if such things aren't discussed around here.

Milennia

As much as I want this game to be good, previews cannot ever be trusted

Seem pretty on par for me.
I just read previews and watch trailers as well as making of interview videos and take away my own impression, as thats all we can really do until we either wait for early impressions or reviews.

We wont know if its worth full price until people get their hands on it.

-MD-

I haven't been following this whole Derrick thing aside from knowing he had a history of being a negative Nancy. Was his banning the result of a cumulative thing or a specific incident? Apologies if such things aren't discussed around here.

Well as you can see from this thread, 90% of the posts acknowledged him so far, half the posts don't even involve South Park. Even without him here he's derailing threads. When he was here he derailed threads even harder because people would endlessly quote whatever opinion he had and the discussion would veer in that direction.

I've only been on GAF a few months but it's never a good sign when a poster turns into a pseudo celebrity, I'm seeing the same thing with Shinobi, Wario, Amirox, CBOAT, Bish and whoever else lives on the boards or is well known (obviously to a lesser extent though).

I'm spoiler tagging that shit because I wanna talk about the game rather than forum personalities.

FUCK YEAH, SOUTH PARK!

erawsd

Completely, yes. I'm expecting this to to be my GOTY if the videos are any indication. I haven't wanted to play a game this much in years.

Only other games that could rival it for me would be The Evil Within (if Mikami delivers, I'm not interested in a RE4 rehash, I want a real survival-horror game) and Dark Souls 2.

Yeah, watching those pewdiepie videos has really sold me on the gameplay. Its "Nintendo-like" in that its not super deep/complex but it just looks like a pure joy to play.

Well as you can see from this thread, 90% of the posts acknowledged him so far, half the posts don't even involve South Park. Even without him here he's derailing threads. When he was here he derailed threads even harder because people would endlessly quote whatever opinion he had and the discussion would veer in that direction.

I've only been on GAF a few months but it's never a good sign when a poster turns into a pseudo celebrity, I'm seeing the same thing with Shinobi, Wario, Amirox, CBOAT, Bish and whoever else lives on the boards or is well known (obviously to a lesser extent though).

hmmmmm...

Well said. This is more a thread about him than an OT about South Park atm and he's not even here, majority of posts are discussing his ban or how clever including his name into the title was. Really unfortunate we couldn't have had a real OT for this game. I'm contributing toward the problem so this'll be the last thing I say on the matter.

:p

Once the game comes out these kind of posts will go away.

As someone who was just meh on the game and was going to get it when it went on discount, the gameplay of pewdiepie (who I hate) playing the game pushed me straight to a day one purchase.

Seriously anyone who is on the fence just watch the first 5 minutes and you'll be hooked for the rest of it.

In the spirit of moving away from Derrick related de-railings despite the OT I'll just express my extreme excitement for this game. Can't wait to explore the town next Tuesday :)

Fezzan

Unconfirmed Member
As someone who was just meh on the game and was going to get it when it went on discount, the gameplay of pewdiepie (who I hate) playing the game pushed me straight to a day one purchase.

Seriously anyone who is on the fence just watch the first 5 minutes and you'll be hooked for the rest of it.

Yeah if you can get past how bad that guy is.
The first 13 minutes they put out a little while back is what sold me on this looks fantastic.

Vamphuntr

Whoa, how long has this Best Buy deal been going on for?

About 2-3 days ago. Futureshop is also doing it and apparently Amazon.ca did it also but ran out. Seems weird they are giving away the CE for the same price as the regular version. I guess they ordered too many CE? It's hilarious EB is asking 85$ for that. Ordered one on FS. Since I'm getting the game anyway, might as well get the statue for free.

RPGCrazied

now I'm just glued to South Park Studios, rewatching episodes counting down the week til release...

Man, I wish Netflix streaming still had the seasons, they pulled them not to long ago.

I hope they replay the black friday episodes before or day of release.

rybrad

Bought this back in October 2012, can't believe it is almost out! Everything has looked awesome so far I just hope the game doesn't end up being too short.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
About 2-3 days ago. Futureshop is also doing it and apparently Amazon.ca did it also but ran out. Seems weird they are giving away the CE for the same price as the regular version. I guess they ordered too many CE? It's hilarious EB is asking 85$ for that. Ordered one on FS. Since I'm getting the game anyway, might as well get the statue for free.

I've had it ordered from Amazon.ca for quite some time and it was still at $90. :(

Oh well, guess I'll just go with Best Buy instead.

FloatOn

god damn it... this thread proves that derrick needs to be back. he was the louis ck of gaf.

oh yeah and south park looks like a good video game.

Milennia

Does anyone have a list of the South Park TV show episodes which relate to the game or offer a follow up to it?

The black friday trilogy are the 3 episodes that lead up to the game.
You can watch them over at southparkstudios, official south park website that has every episode up for free.

kazebyaka

Banned
Does anyone have a list of the South Park TV show episodes which relate to the game or offer a follow up to it?
Seems like the game has throwbacks to all major events of South Park,so start from the beginning and watch it all if you really want to have fun with the game.

-MD-

This'll be my first Obsidian game. I've owned New Vegas for years on steam but never got around to it. Really hope they nail it.

And about classes, I haven't seen anyone say they're picking fighter for their first playthrough, anyone here going warrior fighter?

I know I know xD

As kazebyaka said, it'll have characters from every season of South Park, stuff from a decade ago that people have long forgotten I'm sure. If you don't feel like watching every single episode your best bet is to probably find a top 20 list and watch those or something.

Moosehole

Wow somehow Derrick is still derailing threads even in the afterlife. Off-topic forum is thataway.

Anyway, I've been on a total blackout for this game since it was originally announced, sat through the delays, and finally preordered it last week. I really hope this is as good as it looks.

Wallach

This'll be my first Obsidian game. I've owned New Vegas for years on steam but never got around to it. Really hope they nail it.

And about classes, I haven't seen anyone say they're picking warrior for their first playthrough, anyone here going warrior?

When I can get around to starting, it'll either be warrior or mage for me.

Almighty

And about classes, I haven't seen anyone say they're picking warrior for their first playthrough, anyone here going warrior?

First things first go play New Vegas right now you monster.

Anyway I plan to be a warrior first playthrough. I know some think it is a boring class to play as, but I like it. I just like the simplicity of whacking things. Same reason I went soldier in Mass Effect as well.

I don't give two fucks what the gaming community thinks when they're likely going to vote for whatever shooter the media and PR people tell them is the hot new thing. My problem is with the so called "gamers" who think it shouldn't even be nominated, and at the same time no reason has been given as to why it shouldn't. Although I already know the answer why, but no one will dare say it.

I like the cut of this Derrick guys jib.

Game looks fine, will play for south park, since I can't really say I know much about Obsidian other than their work on New Vegas.

I think I might go thief, though it's for the silly reason that none of the main cast look to be thief archetypes. I always lean towards wanting my characters to be "unique" in certain way.

draetenth

I'm so torn on this game. I love RPGs and Obsidian, but I don't care for South Park. Will this game even make sense for someone who doesn't watch the show?

adj_noun

I'm so torn on this game. I love RPGs and Obsidian, but I don't care for South Park. Will this game even make sense for someone who doesn't watch the show?

You're a new kid trying to make friends, so the main questline should be more or less accessible.

The side quests will probably be a bit more lore intensive.

Top Bottom