• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park: The Stick of Truth |OT| Bigger, Longer, and Uncut (In select regions)

Did you completely exit and reload the game. Once I did that, the preorder stuff showed up when I loaded my last save.

Mine isn't a gift copy but I got a notification right after the tutorial that my dlc outfits were in my toy box at home.

Ah thanks, I think i might have sped through that notice about the toybox. I recall seeing something popup but didn't really pay attention. I'll check the toybox tomorrow

Milennia

... Uhhh, Goldeneye 007? The Arkham games? At a minimum Arkham's part of the modern AAA.

Arkham is based on comics, a freebie license (warner brothers owns DC and rocksteady) and goldeneye wasn't AAA deved.
Even if it was, this game is still the highest rated as of now.

Arkham is based on comics, a freebie license (warner brothers owns DC and rocksteady) and goldeneye wasn't AAA deved.

Wha...? It was developed by Rare and published by Nintendo. I guess the budget wasn't what we'd call AAA these days, but it was a pretty big licensed game at the time.

Just stopped short of the first dungeon. Love this game so far. I really like the fully laid out South Park.

Eusis

Arkham is based on comics, a freeby license and goldeneye wasn't AAA deved.
Goldeneye's from a period where it may've been analogous but only something like FFVII was encroaching in the same territory money-wise and I'm not sure how solid the numbers for THAT were, so probably better to not pick over Goldeneye too much, nevermind all the Disney 8-bit/16-bit platformers.

But Arkham was licensed to Eidos before WB took it and Rocksteady in house, and I'd think a comic IP would matter about as much as a cartoon IP here, especially when said comic IP was actively used for some of the highest grossing movies ever made. Maybe it's splitting hairs and South Park's still a great game, but with the industry as old as it is saying it's "the first AAA licensed game" is something that's going to be easily ripped apart, by pretty much any metric that matters.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Some screens from the PS3 version. Game looks SO GOOD. No aliasing, jaggies etc. It looks 100% like the show.

Obsidian nailed it.

southparkthestickoftroxsoq.png

southparkthestickoftrirs42.png

southparkthestickoftr6ss28.png

THRILLH0

Banned
I'm not risking that. Knowing my luck the game will be disabled in no time by Steam. They've cracked down a lot on activating and playing via VPN and I shouldn't have to take that risk anyway.

C'mon man this is pretty standard.

Poor form to rip GMG and recommend people avoid them because a product that's not out in our region won't activate.

Some screens from the PS3 version. Game looks SO GOOD. No aliasing, jaggies etc. It looks 100% like the show.

Obsidian nailed it.

btw, this screen perfectly highlights what I was talking about earlier:

southparkthestickoftrirs42.png

I do think a lot of this game's scenes are video with your character overlayed.

Peagles

Poor form to rip GMG and recommend people avoid them because a product that's not out in our region won't activate.

It's standard to have to use a VPN to get GMG games to work? I've been a customer of theirs for many years and never had to do that, not once.

It's not so much the key not working that is poor form from them, it's being shady and blocking threads on their forums asking about the issues with the keys. Doesn't exactly provide much faith. Other retailers (e.g. Mighty Ape) have at least been straight up about the problems they're having on account of Ubisoft.

DCDW

kind of stuck, just beat the bard and I'm not sure what I need to do to get out of basement, can't seem to crawl up on anything or hit the flame with ranged to knock it down or even ignite it where it is.

edit: just figured it out, there was a skill that wasn't mentioned I could use outside of combat

Rich!

I don't think so, considering the game's 6GB~ish on Steam, if it was all high quality video, the game would be much larger.

Not really. South Park's visual style leads to it getting away with far higher compression than other videos would do.

I don't think so, considering the game's 6GB~ish on Steam, if it was all high quality video, the game would be much larger.

Then why does everything in that screenshot except the created character have tell-tale signs of video artifacting?

It's not really even a negative point, it'd be a clever way to handle cutaway shots. It could also be some other technique but the player/Cartman and Clyde are clearly being rendered differently in that scene.

Damn, some of the achievements in this game are brutal(have already failed the buddy one). Some creative ones as well though which is always nice to see although the no loot selling one is quite dumb. Wonder if the game will hold up to a second playthough, but I'm really enjoying it as of now. Lots of nice gags hidden everywhere, and the combat is quite fun if a bit simple early on.

Sanctuary

Obsidian nailed it.

Err, why would there be aliasing when using this aesthetic? It's not like you're roaming around a polygon fest. You may as well be amazed that TWD games don't have aliasing.

Eusis

Wha...? It was developed by Rare and published by Nintendo. I guess the budget wasn't what we'd call AAA these days, but it was a pretty big licensed game at the time.
I checked Wikipedia for a budget and it DID list a very small dev team. That might've just been the initial team, but if anything's damning for whether or not it counts as AAA it's probably when a game's made by like 14 people I think, before factoring in testing and other crap.

Falcs

Banned

So is it safe using a VPN??
I'm seriously desperate for this game. I'm still deciding if I should buy it from gmg and activate it with a VPN.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Err, why would there be aliasing when using this aesthetic? It's not like you're roaming around a polygon fest. You may as well be amazed that TWD games don't have aliasing.

Not really. South Park's visual style leads to it getting away with far higher compression than other videos would do.

Well either way guys, I'm glad they nailed the look and style of the show. It's fantastic regardless of what methods/tricks/workarounds they used to make it look like it.

It looks equally good during actual game play as well.

Milennia

Just stopped short of the first dungeon. Love this game so far. I really like the fully laid out South Park.
Well of course I'm counting AAA by todays standards, this is a AAA game that was released today :p.
reviews were also bleak back then, so summing up goldeneye as a AAA title is something i never found a way to justify
After 2 reviews that is bold.. And i literally can't wait to play it.
We will see as they come, but if the technical issue scare is what these reviews state it as, this game has nothing stopping it.

Goldeneye's from a period where it may've been analogous but only something like FFVII was encroaching in the same territory money-wise and I'm not sure how solid the numbers for THAT were, so probably better to not pick over Goldeneye too much, nevermind all the Disney 8-bit/16-bit platformers.

But Arkham was licensed to Eidos before WB took it and Rocksteady in house, and I'd think a comic IP would matter about as much as a cartoon IP here, especially when said comic IP was actively used for some of the highest grossing movies ever made. Maybe it's splitting hairs and South Park's still a great game, but with the industry as old as it is saying it's "the first AAA licensed game" is something that's going to be easily ripped apart, by pretty much any metric that matters.

As I've stated in my previous response, goldeneye cant be justified for the same reasons myself and you have listed, so its best to ignore it in this conversation.

As for arkham, only the first title was actually licensed off and it wasn't even for the entirety of the games cycle, as you have just stated yourself.

When i said AAA i meant reviews in particular, as i was responding to a comment stating that this was the highest rated south park game ever.
Maybe i should backtrack and say its on the right track to be the highest rated AAA sold licensed title, or as ign put it in their preview, the best licensed title.
Obviously an opinion either way, all we have to go on globally on such a matter are the review scores.

Then why does everything in that screenshot except the created character have tell-tale signs of video artifacting?

It's not really even a negative point, it'd be a clever way to handle cutaway shots. It could also be some other technique but the player/Cartman and Clyde are clearly being rendered differently in that scene.

I've noticed that as well. I'd think "hey, is that artifacting in the background?" but then my character showed up. It looks a bit strange, but it works and I don't mind it.

Sanctuary

Uh, there's no native controller support for the PC version?

Edit: Nvm. Just have to start the game with the controller already plugged in (unlike most games anymore).

Mononoke

Banned
Dumb question, but is the 16.9 aspect ratio locked? I have a 16.10 2560x1600p monitor, and I have black bars on the bottom and top. =/

Not a big deal, game looks amazing on this huge screen. But was just curious.

Grief.exe

Let's document where everyone found the Kindergartners.

Farm
Lake
To the Right of playground

I've found one more, but I can't remember where.

saunderez

So I'm an Australian so we got the censored version. I bought it directly from Steam. It VPN activated in the US but it's definitely censored.

Couple of interesting points.

There's a censored flag in some kind of config file (disguised as not a config file). It was set to true. I set it to false. There was also an australian.txt file with some xml inside it, I moved it outside of the folder. It couldn't (and shouldn't) be that easy to uncensor the game....though I'll have to play a considerable amount before I know if it worked or if they actually removed files from the big archive in the censored versions of the game. If anyone can get me a filesize on data_archive.oaf I'll have a better idea of how they're implementing the censorship but without digging any deeper looks like the config tells the game whether or not to use the supplementary data_archive_censored.oaf.

Eusis

As for arkham, only the first title was actually licensed off and it wasn't even for the entirety of the games cycle, as you have just stated yourself.

When i said AAA i meant reviews in particular, as i was responding to a comment stating that this was the highest rated south park game ever.
Maybe i should backtrack and say its on the right track to be the highest rated AAA sold licensed title, or as ign put it in their preview, the best licensed title.
Obviously an opinion either way, all we have to go on globally on such a matter are the review scores.
No, Arkham stayed with Eidos through its whole development, being handed over was a post-release event (and not until sometime after Square Enix started labeled Eidos games as Square Enix), and checking quickly the development team was bigger: Stick of Truth was at 50, and Arkham Asylum 60 if the South Park Wikia and Wikipedia respectively are to be believed, neither all that big compared to some games actually. And review wise we're talking about a game that was getting piles of 9s and ultimately averaged at 91 on each platform if I'm remembering right, whereas we've only just begun to see Stick of Truth reviews.

Which is the best is down to opinion, yeah, and it may well be on track to be if not the highest rated then at least standing roughly toe to toe with the likes of Arkham Asylum, but like I said the initial statement was really, really easy to rip into.

... then there's the Riddick game, but something's kind of messed up if more people knew about the game first than the original IP.

THRILLH0

Banned
So is it safe using a VPN??
I'm seriously desperate for this game. I'm still deciding if I should buy it from gmg and activate it with a VPN.

Put it this way. Whilst I believe it's technically against Valve's TOS, I've done it plenty of times and I've never heard about anyone ever having am issue with their account after using a VPN.

So whilst I have to warn you that there is the most minute of possibilities you could be the first person ever pulled up for it, I can put my hand on heart and tell you that yes, it's safe.

Top Bottom