• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park: The Stick of Truth |OT| Bigger, Longer, and Uncut (In select regions)

Falcs

Banned
Did you disable the VPN after switching to Offline Mode? Also, you won't need the VPN when it unlocks in Australia.
Yeah I did... Although now that I'm lying in bed thinking about it, I suspect that the VPN connection may have dropped out beforehand.
I'm using a not very reliable network cable since I brought my PC into my room..
Hmm, I'll have to try it again tomorrow.

So, if I use the VPN to unlock this, will I have trouble starting it up again when I turn Steam back online to download the Walking Dead episode 7 tonight? Or can I just, once I'm done with that, restart the VPN and play some more?

Yeah I did... Although now that I'm lying in bed thinking about it, I suspect that the VPN connection may have dropped out beforehand.
I'm using a not very reliable network cable since I brought my PC into my room..
Hmm, I'll have to try it again tomorrow.

That's what happened to me. I switched to offline, but hadn't noticed my VPN had disconnected. Now, having made it was connected, it works fine in offline mode. Just restarted Steam to make sure, and South Park boots fine.

Now that my review is out, hope those earlier comments are more clear - great game; technical mess.

It's a shame, but it's at least something that can potentially be fixed, rather than the game being crippled by fundamental design and gameplay flaws. Which can't be fixed by a small patch.

So, if I use the VPN to unlock this, will I have trouble starting it up again when I turn Steam back online to download the Walking Dead episode 7 tonight? Or can I just, once I'm done with that, restart the VPN and play some more?

It'll revert back to pre-load state if you go online again without a VPN. Like you say, restart the VPN and go offline to play some more.

-GJ-

Played 4.2 hours and just now started the 2nd quest. I call bullshit on the 10 hour playthroughs unless they just sprinted through the entire game and didn't take anything in.

Not really. I've played through the entire game twice and spent a total ~30 hours on it. If you rush through the game (only main quest) you can easily do it under 10 hours. If you want to look in every corner and find every collectible and hidden joke, 15 hours is a nice estimate.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
So I just preordered the retail version of this, are the preorder bonuses (some armors for each class) exclusive to digital preorders?

Locust

You can avoid having to use VPN again if you create a steam_appid.txt with 213670 written it and put it in the same folder with the game exe. Then you can launch the game directly with the exe at any time.

Kard8p3

Jeez, just quit playing after 7 hours nonstop..a game hasn't sucked me in this much in a LONG time.

So fucking good.

Now I need to sleep.

is anyone else getting incredible tearing in the pc version?

i play on my 55" tv at 60hz and its very bad. d3doverider doesnt help and no v-sync selection :(

Ghekkus

The tracking on my PC Grand Wizard wasn't updating at all, not even showing picked up. Amazon told me it was stuck in shipping and it would be up to 2 days before it came. Luckily it just went straight to out-for-delivery. Hooray!

So the 360 version seems to be Ubisoft's first Region Locked game. Even the Games on Demand version is region locked (just tried it) :(

Maybe I should look into getting it on PC somehow (have no idea how VPN works).

*shakes fist at Ubisoft*

Now that my review is out, hope those earlier comments are more clear - great game; technical mess.

Jason, it looks like you're one of the only people who actually experienced the game being a "technical mess". Ryan at IGN had no issues, and it didn't sound like GT did either. Perhaps you weren't shipped the same review build as everyone else, or there was something wrong with your review copy?

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Whats the technical issues people are having? I had none in my playthrough apart from one section where the frame rate dropped for a second.

winstano

Not really. I've played through the entire game twice and spent a total ~30 hours on it. If you rush through the game (only main quest) you can easily do it under 10 hours. If you want to look in every corner and find every collectible and hidden joke, 15 hours is a nice estimate.

Ditto, I made it through in under 12 hours with a couple of side quests left (homeless, kindergarten, Jimmy's flute)

Speaking of the flute, anyone know where the
barn key
is??

I've asked this before but I'm asking again just to be 100% sure I don't fuck myself over. Does anyone know if the copy included in the Grand Wizard edition is just a regular retail copy without that "NOT FOR RESALE" bullshit? BestBuy.ca is garbage so my Grand Wizard copy won't arrive until the 10th because they sent it to Quebec by accident for some unknown reason but I REALLY need this game injected in my veins. Could I go buy the retail version today and return the copy I get with my Grand Wizard edition!?

Are steam achievements still locked? I just noticed I have none unlocked even after 5 hours of play. I can't even view the list on steam

Any info on how optimised the PC version is for lower end systems?

My laptop has a 635m dedicated chip and it runs most games I've thrown at it very well.

I know the system requirements are out there but they often mean very little in my experience :p

Any info on how optimised the PC version is for lower end systems?

My laptop has a 635m dedicated chip and it runs most games I've thrown at it very well.

I know the system requirements are out there but they often mean very little in my experience :p
A quick look in the forums tells me a hd4000 graphics are enough to run it.

I won't get my key till 5PM EST due to a distributor issue from the site I bought it from. I'm hoping I get it at 5PM today and not before Friday. I mean, yeah, that might be nice for the weekend but I want to play it now.

Dwah...

jschreier

Jason, it looks like you're one of the only people who actually experienced the game being a "technical mess". Ryan at IGN had no issues, and it didn't sound like GT did either. Perhaps you weren't shipped the same review build as everyone else, or there was something wrong with your review copy?
From Polygon:

When I ran into a save issue while playing the game, I started talking to other reviewers and journalists with access to The Stick of Truth about what they’d experienced while playing. Here’s a collected summary:

Ben Kuchera, Polygon (PC): A glitch where he was unable to unequip his bow-and-arrow, disappearing character models.

Jim Sterling, The Escapist (PC): A bug with executing a buddy command that temporarily halted progress.

Adam Rosenberg, Digital Trends (PC): Two game-breaking moments where boss fights didn’t trigger properly.

Jason Schreier, Kotaku (360): Frame hitches, animation glitches and music dropouts.

Mitch Dyer, IGN (PS3): Poor framerate.

Peff

The game seems rather easy so far, even on hardcore, but other than that and the inventory being cumbersome it's really enjoyable. The amount of references is crazy.

Where is the best place to buy this game on PC in the UK? £40 on Steam is quite expensive!

Is the Steam version the uncensored version in the UK?

TheGeneral86

Neo Member
Help Please

I'm at the
Craig school detention quest, but don't know what to do. I get to a metal Grate thing covering the Hall. I can shoot the ginger kid with an arrow but nothing happens and the goth kids outside aren't much help.
Help please

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Help Please

I'm at the
Craig school detention quest, but don't know what to do. I get to a metal Grate thing covering the Hall. I can shoot the ginger kid with an arrow but nothing happens and the goth kids outside aren't much help.
Help please

If you're at the part where I think you are.

switch to kenny as your companion, select the party action icon from the left radial bar and charm the ginger hall monitor on the other side of the fence, he'll open it for you.

You also left out this important summary of the issues from that same Polygon article:

Though there were no shortage of issues, most agreed that the bugs didn’t hamper their overall experience. That said, whenever a game has such widespread and disparate problems, it’s a worrying indicator that there might be more serious issues that appear when the game is rolled out to a larger audience.

Top Bottom