• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Space Dandy |OT| We're up all night to... ASK D-N-A... again, baby!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
26mJfrm.jpg

Dandy's character summed up in 3 seconds

Mature

Who is this guy? It says on his Tumblr that he's from Austria? An Austrian sakuga? That's unusual/interesting...
He's a young/talented animator. He actually worked with Watanabe before on Kids on the Slope.

I would say wait until we see how it's handled later. We don't really know if Funimation added dialogue to other episodes for clarification, either.
That could very well be true— I enjoyed the dub enough to give it a chance myself. Though I've been burned on Funi doing fundamentally different localization before to not be very optimistic.

cdyhybrid

I enjoyed it. Will follow. Probably going to have to catch the legal streams after they air though, since I'm usually out of the house when it airs on TV.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Well, that was a fun romp. And nicely animated!

I'll be watching the next episodes for sure, hope it stays crazy!

Dresden

How are we still having dub vs sub arguments? We get both. The fact that some people are actually upset at the thought of others preferring one to the other (because that's what people do) is incredibly saddening. Yes, some people are going to state their preferences, and list reasons why, whether it's for the dub or sub. Don't get all emotional about it.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Just watched the subtitled version. Liked it even more the second time. And the sub > dub by far, not even a contest!

On the other hand, I totally get some of the criticisms directed towards the writing and the show so far, it definitely feels like the weakest watanabe premiere, but on the bright side I feel they have got a really good foundation set-up here, and I'm excited to see what crazy storyline's they have planned in the coming weeks, I'm hoping they go overboard with the science-fiction tropes.. because I mean how fucking cool would it be if they went with a groundhog day-esque episode later in the series?

so1337

He's a young/talented animator. He actually worked with Watanabe before on Kids on the Slope.
Yeah, I noticed that on his Tumblr. Looks like he also animated parts of Double from Skullgirls. And he's 22.

Impressive. I might actually have to convince my art school to try to get ahold of that guy for a talk or something. I bet that would be super interesting.

There wasn't any rotoscoping involved in the first episode at all. These are talented animators and designers being given a lot of freedom which result in what you see.

https://twitter.com/bahijd/status/419283702192291840

https://twitter.com/bahijd/status/419905990700826624

https://twitter.com/bahijd/status/419908454485327872

https://twitter.com/SushioHiroyuki/status/419912334564274177

Although on a related note, the movements of the singer in this seperate music video for the OP song are rotoscoped but stylized and enhanced with animation.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3UdjC4o_Ds

Oh, okay. I'm totally cool with that. It coming off as a bit weird isn't a bad thing. Looking forward to some more crazy stuff!

Cwarrior

Dub apologists getting blown the fuck out:

dubsux.png

If the rest of story is anything like the first episode then nothing of any importance was lost.

The narrator Dub more then makes up for it.

I'll check out both any ways for comparison sake.

For me personally I liked the Japanese version simply for the killer ending song. That's not to rip on anyone who loves the dub more. It's a really good dub.

First episode was cute, very reminiscent of Space Adventure Cobra. They try to emulate a certain freshness from 80s anime, the episode left me with the urge to rewatch both Project Eden (and Redline).
Yet I don't see how Watanabe is going to save anime that way.

If breasts were to save anime, I'm still waiting for my second season of Senran Kagura <3

Jigolo

So after reading that tweet that that animator made regarding the Dubs I was scared of what the difference was going to be. For the past hour I decided to watch both at the same time while listening to about a minute of dialogue pausing, going to subs reading to see what the difference was. I went through the whole episode like this and...

everything was the same.....

minus the occasional words they change for english. Everything was virtually the same except for the few words. In japan I guess when Dandy spells out K-E-T-S-U that means ass, that part was different in the dub. And when Meow used the words chill, that part was different in the sub. Everything about the plot with Dr. Gel, that war, and Ghost Rider dude man was the same.

Am I missing something here? Maybe the animator is japanese and doesn't understand english very well? because I caught no major difference.

Levyne

Banned
I think the idea is that the animator feels that the differences later in the show become more significant.

The shaky humor held it back but it's one of the best looking and sounding shows I've ever seen. Just amazed by the production. Of course it helps that I am always starving for space adventure stuff.

I can't believe so many people give this many fucks about having language options. All this does is open up the show to new audiences that might not have tuned in otherwise.

This.is.good.

Edit: Just read Bahi's post. I can see how that would be a problem. It makes a ditz out of a character that might be a bit more cunning than we thought.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
The narrator stuff was funnier in Japanese because the narrator sounded like a generic narrator from Japanese TV.

Levyne

Banned
That does seem like a non-trivial change but also blown out of proportion at the same time? I guess it's hard to say without knowing that character's future contributions. At least we can move on from it, right?

Kuroyume

Banned
I loved it. The sequence on the alien planet was just beautiful. Animation was better than the garbage seen on Attack on Titan. That just left a bad taste in my mouth after all the hype. Only thing I dislike about this show so far is the openong theme. It's kinda bad. The scene where the cat like character was pronouncing his name was great.

Mature

An odd change, but pretty minor in the grand scheme of things. Only worth worrying about if similar changes are made in the future, imo.
Agree'd. And if that isolated incident was the only thing that he didn't like, I don't think it's worth throwing the baby out with the bath water on the whole dub just yet.

But speaking of Bahi, this gif has the not-storyboarded cut he mentioned Nakamura worked on. Some of the animation in the latter half of the episode is beyond stellar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom