• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Space Dandy |OT| We're up all night to... ASK D-N-A... again, baby!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKINNER!

Banned
So I watched Ep1 of Space Dandy the other day. The juvenile dialogue at the beginning caught me by surprise and it left a pretty sour taste by the time the episode ended. Decided to re-watch it (dub this time round) and found the second half a lot more enjoyable. As someone earlier mentioned though, Space Dandy isn't a show I can recommend to a person who isn't familiar with anime. Not sure what all the fuss about the dubbing is about as it's top notch shit. Gonna be watching ep 2 tonight.

duckroll

I loved the super cartoony animation for Dandy:

ibaEWFTRm6SQGv.gif

iFYiL4hOMrXHT.gif

Is Space Dandy animated on the ones? Or close to it? Or at least close to it more often per episode? Its animation has a smoothness seldom seen in televised anime. Would love a big peek into the production process...

SD-Ness

Is Space Dandy animated on the ones? Or close to it? Or at least close to it more often per episode? Its animation has a smoothness seldom seen in televised anime. Would love a big peek into the production process...
Yeah... Smoothness is a good word. Reminds me of Miyazaki...

Yonafunu

I definitely don't think it's on ones, I don't think I've ever seen anime animated on ones except for maybe some Ghibli. It does have a lot of 'sakuga' though, to the point where the nearly majority of episode 2 was 'sakuga'. You can tell they definitely got a nice budget.

RDreamer

I liked the second episode quite a bit more than the first. I'll continue to watch, especially since the music and animation is pretty top notch.

Jarate

Banned
I definitely don't think it's on ones, I don't think I've ever seen anime animated on ones except for maybe some Ghibli. It does have a lot of 'sakuga' though, to the point where the nearly majority of episode 2 was 'sakuga'. You can tell they definitely got a nice budget.

It might have a big budget (the additional toonami money might be helpful) but this is also animated by practically the best of the best out there. Most of the cost for good animations is because they hire cheap animators either in Japan, or in Korea that are untalented animators. If you have super talented animators, you can do this type of stuff with a few really good animators.

Jarate

Banned
Just like the first episode, I liked the second half a lot more.

I really love how the episode was ramen/crazy-alien-food pron though.

I seriously hope episode 3 is some sort of a bait and switch though, cause the fan-servicey preview they showed looked terrifying.

Hah, pretty neat.

what if it's all done purely in jest though, would it be horrifying?

redhood56

Banned
I liked the second episode a lot more than the first. It had some good jokes(Full Metal Noodleist) and I really liked the 2nd half. The show continues to impress me!

vocab

I was expecting more cobra, but I guess I expected to much. I'll continue to watch it just to see where it will go.

Yeah... Smoothness is a good word. Reminds me of Miyazaki...
Definitely approaching, if not surpassing, film quality in many instances over the first couple episodes.
As an anime viewer for well over 20 years I'm ashamed to admit I'd never heard the term "sakuga" until today, thank you for teaching me it!
It might have a big budget (the additional toonami money might be helpful) but this is also animated by practically the best of the best out there. Most of the cost for good animations is because they hire cheap animators either in Japan, or in Korea that are untalented animators. If you have super talented animators, you can do this type of stuff with a few really good animators.
Makes sense regarding the animation talent on the show, which I'd seen some of via "BahiGATE," but there's just TOO MUCH top-tier animation per episode. Like, it's almost too good to be true so far... I do wish it were funnier at times, but I also wonder how it plays in its native Japanese. How much of the humor is being lost in translation? I'm guessing not much as this was an international endeavor from the start, but being mostly ignorant of the language makes me curious.

Kyuur

Enjoying it so far, although it hasn't really 'clicked' entirely yet. It does remind me of Samurai Champloo in structure. I'm reserving complete judgement until we at least get a multiple-episode story. I'm really interested in what they could do with the alternate universe stuff. It seems like it's going to be a major theme based on the ED and what we've seen so far.

Fjordson

I liked this second episode a bit more than the first. The old man's story and the whole ramen segment was pretty good.

Also, it made me pretty hungry. Need to hit up the noodle bar by my house tonight :lol

Jarmel

Banned

Almost certainly not. There are very few productions that do stuff on ones. The last notable one I can remember was a short introductory scene in Hyouka and that was done to give a surreal effect.

Linkhero1

I enjoyed the second episode. The animation is amazing. I complained about the dub after the first episode but it finally clicked with me. Can't wait for the story to develop.

RPGCrazied

Better than the first episode for sure. Is every episode going to have the bar boobies in it? I guess thats a permanent hangout or something.

The animation and dub cast have been amazing so far.

As others have noted it would be fantastic if, as the story develops, it slides in a "serious" side of the overall story to go with the comedy like the second ep did.

b1709963694c3bbe5ac7d8f1ea55b8af.gif

The Spike Spiegel school of technology repair.

LOL, yeah. Kicking it will totally make it work indeed :D

So good. All that superfluous swag just to ask for some money.

"Can you spot me some cash?" :D

Loved the animation for that and the spazz-dodging the shots as seen in the gif already posts lol. Also loved Scarlet kicking ass right after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom