• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Space Dandy |OT| We're up all night to... ASK D-N-A... again, baby!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wsippel

Banned
Yep, the soundtrack definitely is inspired by Bruhn. The track used during the action sequence later in the first episode is also very similar to one of his Captain Future tracks.

Is it just me, or is the track at the beginning of the first episode a direct reference to Christian Bruhn's Captain Future opening?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcjhpETolG0

I thought so too, i watched Captain Future as a kid and love that theme! :)
I really like the track in SD too and wish it was longer.

You know, if the English voice for QT wasn't an autotune Justin Bieber, I might watch Space Dandy in English.

I feel the same, the english dub is very solid, but i find the voice effect really grating after a while. Especially when QT is screaming, like at the end of the first episode when that monster boards the ship.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Only bad thing about the dub is that there's a shitty OP instead of the JP one, I'm still bitter.

sol_bad

The ramen master stuff was the highlight, though. It's the first time I was really engaged with what the show was trying to do.

I agree with this!
I know it has only been two episodes but that first episode did absolutely nothing for me. It pointed out two things for me, Space Dandy is hunting rare aliens to make money and there is some big space war going on between two factions. I can't even remember if they mention why there is a war happening.
Come to think of it, did they say why that guy is after Space Dandy? Shows how engaged I was in the first episode.

The second episode was much better and did a better job of building the characters.
I enjoyed Scarlet's action scene, the animation was very fluid and pleasing to my eye.
I loved how Meow kept Tweeting where they were and didn't realise why the bad guys kept showing up
. I loved the scene with the ramen master as pointed out above.

The first episode really felt like they were just throwing shit at a wall in comparison to the second episode. I am now very happy to continue watching this show as I can see it's potential.

cntr

Banned
Watched the first two eps (dub).

Fuckin' amazing.

Edit: I only wish the English version had the Japanese OP. Maybe we'll get an English dubbed version of it later?

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Seriously though, space dandy is starting to remind me of panty and stocking which is a show I loved, so this is good things for me.

Sadsic

first half was really boring to me and was pretty much just dry anime tropes

second half was really wet and fun anime tropes and i enjoyed that

this show isnt amazing but its kinda fun and ill keep with it prolly

Space Dandy - Episode 3

Wasn't as good as episode 2, but it was decent. When they said it was going to be a fanservice episode, they weren't kidding. If there's one thing that makes up for the episode, was the
giant robot vs boob monster fight
at the end. That was really cool.

Rpgmonkey

I think the last episode had better jokes and references, but this episode was more entertaining overall.

So far every episode has a somewhat boring first half, but ends with a strong second half. The gag with that evil alien guy seems to be that he always ends up just missing Dandy, but I'm starting to hope they meet sooner rather than later.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
So I'm guessing each episode takes place in a parallel universe. Also Zombie crew next week.

JCG

I'm totally biased, of course, but this has been my favorite episode.
How could I complain about suddenly having mecha show up?

Overall though, I guess it's nice that the show will go in totally different directions every week since those who don't like a particular approach will get the chance to enjoy something else next. That's definitely one of the more unique characteristics of Space Dandy.

Dresden

It was better when they got away from the dumb, raunchy fanservice shit and the bad jokes and showcased a bunch of weird aliens and robots. Basically, the second half was more watchable than the first, just like all the episodes before . . . hope this doesn't become a trend.

The dub is okay, but QT's autotune voice annoys me quite a bit.

Mature

tumblr_mzmc5lfr7X1rvb8cmo1_400.gif

This one felt a bit like a bottle episode until the robot showed up, but I still enjoyed it and laughed here and there. Next episode looks amazing.

duckroll

Episode 3

I'm getting used to how underwhelming the humor actually is. At least after the first episode, the storytelling has been pretty consistent in terms of having an actual theme. The story here was pretty predictable (not a bad thing), and again not particularly funny at all (definitely a bad thing), but it's nice to see unique visual looks based on the actual stories instead.

I think the show really needs to ditch the really cliched and formulaic thing where the first half of every episode is just boring build up with crappy try-hard jokes, and then the second half has lots of crazy animation and action. It feels like a total waste if I can't feel invested in the overall episode!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom