• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Space Dandy |OT| We're up all night to... ASK D-N-A... again, baby!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
The scene in which they find out how the monkey guy keeps following them made me laugh out loud.

Shergal

This episode was way better animated than the first. The first had like three minutes of crazy action and the rest was barely average, this one was 20 minutes of INSANE. Plus the psycho travelling to the alt dimension wowed me more than the action in ep 1 actually.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
You aren't smiling anymore, cutie. :(

:( And since you're not smiling anymore I can't crush on you.

I'm not smiling any-more because I wasn't laughing at any of the humour in this episode ;)

Come to think of it I didn't really find the first episode to be that funny either.

So people are liking this one even more than the first.

iRZLJxNeBi6Vs.gif

Can't wait!

Dresden

That was pretty good, although most of the humor didn't quite work for me - it really picks up once you get to the sentimental stuff with the ramen-pops and there's a good balance of tears and the absurd. Dandy in his serious moments feels less forced, more natural, and I hope we see more of that as we go.

And damn, that animation.

Skelter

Banned
That was pretty good, although most of the humor didn't quite work for me - it really picks up once you get to the sentimental stuff with the ramen-pops and there's a good balance of tears and the absurd. Dandy in his serious moments feels less forced, more natural, and I hope we see more of that as we go.

And damn, that animation.

This. I like his serious side a lot. Hope there is more of that.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
so the currency in dandy is the wulong huh? i wonder if there are going to be any more nods

Have not seen the first episode, but I just caught the second one. The animation on this is insane. Way wackier than expected though. Was hoping for more of a cowboy bebop vibe. I'll watch some more of it though I suppose.

This is 100% a comedy. People expecting Cowboy Bebop 2 will be disappointed.

Levyne

Banned
With the same currency I'm gonna be keeping an eye out for the Bebop to make a cameo appearance for the rest of series.

duckroll

Episode 2

5ZbLfB8.jpg

Hey look, it's BONES' logo! Lol.

Well, the comedy still isn't really working for me. A lot of the humor feels a bit too try-hard, and instead of being scripted to be funny in the writing, it feels like they're hoping the hectic animation and direction carries it instead. The animation is really, really good, but while it's well animated (and the action actually pretty exciting), the physical comedy doesn't seem very effective. It feels like a lot of the jokes here are targeted at an internet meme generation, which I can't really relate to when it comes to comedy. Twitter jokes, Google Maps jokes, Oh Look At How Stupid This Guy Is jokes. Zzzzz.

I like the more subtle gags, where they're not "hey look at me", but those don't seem that common. The ramen master stuff at the end actually felt much closer to the sort of stories I want from the show rather than what the first two episodes have delivered so far. I like strange adventures into the weird and unknown, but I don't need to see 20 scenes of how dumb Dandy is, how useless Meow is, and how incompetent the villain is. I already "got" it from the first episode, I'm not sure why they think doing it again and again makes it any funnier. Or even funny.

duckroll

Completely agree but I still thought episode was still fantastic. It had actual STRUCTURE this time.

Sure, it felt much more like an episodic story with a theme this time, unlike the random wtf in the first episode. I think that's promising. I just didn't find it that funny, and the highlights were the Scarlet fight and the Ramen master flashback at the end. Incidentally, both are scenes where Dandy and Meow are totally in the background. I wish the main characters weren't such.... deadbeats I guess. Lol.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I see it as a Japanese take on futurama. dandy and qt really do have a zapp/kif like relationship. and with a burgundy haired ass kicking woman, im kinda waiting for another slacker and a theiving self centered character to show up.

TheOGB

Banned
Gogol Search Street View

woooooowwwww

I'm not as into social media as Meow, but I appreciated the humor, and the touching (and hilariously tragic) scene with "Pops" was something I'd love to see more of in future episodes. That, and more ass kicking/Scarlet. Dat ass animation.

The preview for next episode though... hoooo boy, heh...

Squire

Banned
Episode 2

Well, the comedy still isn't really working for me. A lot of the humor feels a bit too try-hard, and instead of being scripted to be funny in the writing, it feels like they're hoping the hectic animation and direction carries it instead. The animation is really, really good, but while it's well animated (and the action actually pretty exciting), the physical comedy doesn't seem very effective. It feels like a lot of the jokes here are targeted at an internet meme generation, which I can't really relate to when it comes to comedy. Twitter jokes, Google Maps jokes, Oh Look At How Stupid This Guy Is jokes. Zzzzz.

I like the more subtle gags, where they're not "hey look at me", but those don't seem that common. The ramen master stuff at the end actually felt much closer to the sort of stories I want from the show rather than what the first two episodes have delivered so far. I like strange adventures into the weird and unknown, but I don't need to see 20 scenes of how dumb Dandy is, how useless Meow is, and how incompetent the villain is. I already "got" it from the first episode, I'm not sure why they think doing it again and again makes it any funnier. Or even funny.

Your whole post is exactly how I feel, but to add to the bolded: I'm a part of that generation and while I appreciate their attempts to appeal in that way, it still doesn't work.

"Oh, Meow was tweeting from the restaurant!" Okay, Bones, I get it. Show's relevant. Cool.

It's just not funny.

Evilisk

Episode 2

Completely agreed on this. The only thing I'd add (and for myself only) is that I honestly found the first episode a lot funnier.

Jintor

I see it as a Japanese take on futurama. dandy and qt really do have a zapp/kif like relationship. and with a burgundy haired ass kicking woman, im kinda waiting for another slacker and a theiving self centered character to show up.

that's a good parallel... the Japanese Futurama. Haha. Goofy space crap: the anime.

Jacob

I laughed at the first appearances of Space Foursquare and Gogol Galaxy Street View, but repeating those jokes over and over again made them grow pretty stale. The Ramen alien guy's backstory was amusing, though. I think I liked this more than the first episode but I'm not holding out a lot of hope that it will remain fresh and entertaining for 24 more episodes.

obin_gam

I didn't even smile once during the episode. Well OK, a bit when Pops burned his girlfriend to death accidentaly. But other than that, the humor was just not there at all. I guess I'm to old for physical humor on cartoons.

But it was a pleasant episode nonetheless :)

Jarmel

Banned
It actually does remind me of Futurama now that somebody has brought it up. I'm not expecting all the jokes to work but rather just having a humorous environment and fun hijinks.

dan2026

Looks like its Magical Girl time next episode.

It seems like for the moment they are making a pastiche of various tropes and genres.

Also I hope we get more Scarlet soon. She is in the OP so I hope she sticks around for the duration.

duckroll

Looks like its Magical Girl time next episode.

It seems like for the moment they are making a pastiche of various tropes and genres.

Also I hope we get more Scarlet soon. She is in the OP so I hope she sticks around for the duration.

More like Monster Girl time amirite.

Jex

Boy, the animation looked pretty damn great in this episode. Perhaps they can just make a show about, er, more interesting characters at some point.

dan2026

Boy, the animation looked pretty damn great in this episode. Perhaps they can just make a show about, er, more interesting characters at some point.

Speak for yourself, these light-hearted characters are a joy to watch.

If I wanted deep I'd go watch Legend of the Galactic Heroes or something.

dan2026

Yeah, the lack of character development has been disappointing

Two points.

a) It really isn't that kind of series. Which should of been fairly obvious from the promotional stuff before the series even aired.

b) We did actually learn quite a bit about Dandy and Meow this episode. We know that while Meow initially seems a bit selfish and self absorbed, he still emphasised with the old ramen dude. We also learn that he is that fucking arsehole who feels the need to narrate his own life through social messaging.
We also saw Dandy's arrogance, confidence and (unsuccessful) womanising.
He is clearly not as cool as he thinks he is.

Two points.

a) It really isn't that kind of series. Which should of been fairly obvious from the promotional stuff before the series even aired.

b) We did actually learn quite a bit about Dandy and Meow this episode. We know that while Meow initially seems a bit selfish and self absorbed, he still emphasised with the old ramen dude. We also learn that he is that fucking arsehole who feels the need to narrate his own life through social messaging.
We also saw Dandy's arrogance, confidence and (unsuccessful) womanising.
He is clearly not as cool as he thinks he is.

I don't see how you can say 'its really not that type of series' to pardon the lack of character development, that's just an excuse in my opinion, and not a very good one at that.

Dandy was touched upon in the first episode but we know close to nothing about Meow so far and he's a main character, we learned more about a random space roach in 5 minutes last night. Why is Meow following Dandy around? Where is he from? What are his interests outside of eating and being a perv? What's his story? What are his motivations? What was he doing before Dandy showed up?

We barely know anything about Meow which is a shame because he's way more interesting than Dandy thus far.

Levyne

Banned
The humor hasn't wore thin on me yet. I think we'll see more and more structure and nuanced humor as we go forward. Well, at least I hope we do.

But if by episode 12 we're still seeing something along the lines of wacky shenanigans in the space dressing rooms of space Macy's, then yeah that could get annoying. Don't plan on dropping it either way.

dan2026

We'll probably get a Meow backstory at some point. But even if we don't you are getting way too hung up on character development in a show that so far hasn't professed to be anything more that some light humourous enjoyment.

Anyway...I've been trying to translate a bit of the alien language from Alien/Japanese/English.

I have so far concluded that Meow spells his name 'Myau' he posts on UTwitter and he has made 65,710 tweets, he has 35,762 followers and has followed 7,508 people.

Firemind

The characters in this show are so bad. Like PSG bad. :lol

The only saving grace is QT.

I suppose the comedy is joke-driven instead of character-driven.

Hype deflated.

We'll probably get a Meow backstory at some point. But even if we don't you are getting way too hung up on character development in a show that so far hasn't professed to be anything more that some light humourous enjoyment.

Anyway...I've been trying to translate a bit of the alien language from Alien/Japanese/English.

I have so far concluded that Meow spells his name 'Myau' he posts on UTwitter and he has made 65,710 tweets, he has 35,762 followers and has followed 7,508 people.
There are plenty of light, humor driven shows with character development so once again, that's not a valid excuse in my opinion. Hopefully the show can improve on that aspect, it seems all over the place right now. I'm not dropping it though, I'll watch the whole thing live on toonami each week.

dan2026

There are plenty of light, humor driven shows with character development so once again, that's not a valid excuse in my opinion. Hopefully the show can improve on that aspect, it seems all over the place right now. I'm not dropping it though, I'll watch the whole thing live on toonami each week.

Fair enough. I feel like I am on a losing battle defending the show here by myself.

It just hits all the right notes for me. I don't need to get to the deep dark core of Meow.
Real life is grim enough at the moment, I just want crazy colorful characters, to do crazy colorful things.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
The characters in this show are so bad. Like PSG bad. :lol

The only saving grace is QT.

I suppose the comedy is joke-driven instead of character-driven.

Hype deflated.

Nonsense, one of the most appealing parts about PSG and it's random don't-give-a-fuck-formula was the characters.

Space Dandy and crew just isn't as entertaining as PSG imo.

Firemind

Who said anything about grimdark? Is it too much to ask to have characters that are more developed than characters from a saturday morning cartoon? Even Futurama had a fair number of character-driven episodes.

Mik317

Who said anything about grimdark? Is it too much to ask to have characters that are more developed than characters from a saturday morning cartoon? Even Futurama had a fair number of character-driven episodes.

It's only been two episodes tho. and I think the Saturday morning cartoon vibe is exactly what they wanted. I mean Dandy has survived blowing up and getting shot out into space so far.....with no explanation. It doesnt take itself serious at all. It is like expecting a deep backstory from a Bugs Bunny cartoon and being mad when they don't go into Bugs' dark past. I get not finding it funny (I do) as comedy is super subjective and if that falls flat then yeah you aren't gonna like it but I can't help but feel many of the complaints are weird. This is a slapstick based series...if that doesn't do it for you...it never will.

Still it is obvious that many went into it expecting something completely different. The show is basically what I expected. Wacky space hi-jinks with amazing animation and music.

Seda

Still it is obvious that many went into it expecting something completely different. The show is basically what I expected. Wacky space hi-jinks with amazing animation and music.

I generally agree. I didn't expect totally believable characters going in. Not saying it's not an issue, but I can't say I'm totally disappointed that two episodes in there isn't all too much to Dandy and Meow's characters. I do wish the comedic writing was a little more clever. I'll quote myself from Toonami community.

In the first two episodes of Space Dandy, we have established that Dandy and Meow are mostly inept doofuses, QT is kind of being dragged along for the ride by their shenanigans, and Scarlet will likely be a more reliable/capable contrast to the main duo. However, Dandy did tone down his usual sophomoric and somewhat bumptious personality to listen to and comment on the Raman Pop story, a (very) slight show of maturity from him. Meow is very self absorbed but otherwise doesn't have much to his character yet.

The show definitely gives me the Futurama vibe: the setting and aliens of course, comedy focus, Dandy is Zapp Brannigan-esqe. But the writing is definitely not as clever that Futurama could be at times. A lot of the jokes are more slap-stick in nature, which are misses for me more often than not.

Despite that, I would say I'm enjoying the show. The animation is top-notch, and I'm enjoying the music as well. It's goofy and absurd at times (ramen wormholes!) and I wonder how creative they can get with things like this. Going in, I didn't expect believable characters with believable motivations, and I don't expect an engrossing narrative. I'm not trying to excuse the problems of the show by saying my expectations were low (with respect to those things), but I am saying it is not a 'disappointment' to me yet. It was pretty clear from trailers that it was going to be really silly/wacky series. The thing I want to see most in upcoming episodes is less slap-stick and more cleverly written humor, sort of on the lines of Ramen Pop. I can laugh at slap-stick, but certainly not for an entire series.

And if they show does gain a semblance of a more serious narrative in the upcoming episodes, I expect it to creep in slowly.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Fair enough. I feel like I am on a losing battle defending the show here by myself.

It just hits all the right notes for me. I don't need to get to the deep dark core of Meow.
Real life is grim enough at the moment, I just want crazy colorful characters, to do crazy colorful things.

Same, I'm enjoying the fuck out of the show so far :shrugs

The fact that they 'died' last week and this week's episode didn't even mentioned that should be sign for people looking for 'serious' stuff from this series. I'll just embrace it for what it is: wacky space adventures with amazing production values.

I hope it never gets very serious. Needs to maintain this tone IMO.

If you enjoy Dandy then that's all that matters, I'm just poking holes and being a critic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom