• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Space Dandy |OT| We're up all night to... ASK D-N-A... again, baby!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I'm loving Meow and Dandy's chemistry so far.

Everything clicks for me in this show: characters, visuals, music, premise, tone etc...

Is it 13 or 26 episodes?

Firemind

It's only been two episodes tho. and I think the Saturday morning cartoon vibe is exactly what they wanted. I mean Dandy has survived blowing up and getting shot out into space so far.....with no explanation. It doesnt take itself serious at all. It is like expecting a deep backstory from a Bugs Bunny cartoon and being mad when they don't go into Bugs' dark past. I get not finding it funny (I do) as comedy is super subjective and if that falls flat then yeah you aren't gonna like it but I can't help but feel many of the complaints are weird. This is a slapstick based series...if that doesn't do it for you...it never will.

Still it is obvious that many went into it expecting something completely different. The show is basically what I expected. Wacky space hi-jinks with amazing animation and music.

Who said anything about deep? I'm not expecting Cowboy Bebop 2.0 at all. When people say "it's slapstick, it doesn't need to be clever," it's like people say comedy doesn't need good writing. Monty Python is an example of cleverly written slapstick comedy. I wouldn't have this problem if Dandy was structured like skits, but it doesn't. It introduces antagonists that makes the viewer believe there is an overarching plot. It's like it doesn't know what it wants to be.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Wow, I thought it was 13 because of the quality of the animation and the high production values.

dan2026

I wouldn't have this problem if Dandy was structured like skits, but it doesn't. It introduces antagonists that makes the viewer believe there is an overarching plot. It's like it doesn't know what it wants to be.

I get what you are saying dude, but you either need to roll with it, or watch something else.
We are only on episode 2 of 26 after all. But at least for the time being I don't think this show is going to satisfy you.

I don't find it laugh out loud funny either, nor am I going to declare that the writing is masterful. But I enjoy the aesthetic, the charmingly goofy characters, the creature designs, the visuals and the world they have created.
The heavier stuff can come later, but for the time being I am entirely satisfied.

Man, I really enjoyed the 2nd ep. Dumb premise, good fight scene, energetic animation, and they even switched the tone up with with that old alien chef before getting right back into the goofiness. I'm happy with with the way this is going so far, and will only improve as the characters are fleshed out, if not in backstory than by pure characterization during their space adventures.

It's episodic high energy nonsense. If the humor doesn't work for you, or you're looking for more story to latch on to, this probably won't work, but I like the balance they struck in that episode.

Dresden

The ramen master stuff was the highlight, though. It's the first time I was really engaged with what the show was trying to do.

woodland

The ramen master stuff was the highlight, though. It's the first time I was really engaged with what the show was trying to do.

Same, his back story and the loneliness they managed to show with him was so engaging. The humor's been like 99% strike outs for me so far.

"You stupid, useless bowl of fur!"

Funny episode, with the Google, Foursquare, Twitter space based analogues that proves to be helpful or a hindrance to the three of them on their mission for the Ramen.

Also, loved the animation of Michael Jackson moves to impress Scarlett

I've heard Grant James somewhere before in film, but not in Amime. Lupin the Third: A Woman Called Fujiko Mine is the next on my viewing list.

Branduil

Episode 2

Well, the comedy still isn't really working for me. A lot of the humor feels a bit too try-hard, and instead of being scripted to be funny in the writing, it feels like they're hoping the hectic animation and direction carries it instead. The animation is really, really good, but while it's well animated (and the action actually pretty exciting), the physical comedy doesn't seem very effective. It feels like a lot of the jokes here are targeted at an internet meme generation, which I can't really relate to when it comes to comedy. Twitter jokes, Google Maps jokes, Oh Look At How Stupid This Guy Is jokes. Zzzzz.

I like the more subtle gags, where they're not "hey look at me", but those don't seem that common. The ramen master stuff at the end actually felt much closer to the sort of stories I want from the show rather than what the first two episodes have delivered so far. I like strange adventures into the weird and unknown, but I don't need to see 20 scenes of how dumb Dandy is, how useless Meow is, and how incompetent the villain is. I already "got" it from the first episode, I'm not sure why they think doing it again and again makes it any funnier. Or even funny.

The funniest joke was actually the one during the "serious" scene.

Agreed. I really liked this episode but I hope as the series continues it moves more in the direction of the later half of the show. Even just a little bit of seriousness can make humor much funnier, in my opinion.

Yea, so after watching the preview for the next episode I'm not sure thats gonna happen lol

Odrion

Banned
Outside of the Boobie joke, that was a fantastic episode. God the animation in this show is good, and the Ramen Master segment was the exact amount of silliness and poignancy that it needed to be great.

edit: that said, I hope stuff like the Ramen Master bit is where the show is heading rather than boobs and memes. So much potential here.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Just watched the episode again. Still didn't grab me at all apart from the ramen master and awesome scarlet action scene.

It's weird because this show is admittedly very well-made and it's got great animation, and again the premise is pretty fucking cool. It just doesn't have good enough writing and character dynamics/chemistry to really drive it. Will keep watching with mild anticipation at the very least.

dan2026

edit: that said, I hope stuff like the Ramen Master bit is where the show is heading rather than boobs and memes. So much potential here.

What memes were in there?

There was a Fullmetal Alchemist reference but I didn't really catch much else.

LayLa

liked the visual joke of the spagettification near the wormhole being ramen
most of the jokes aren't working for me, but there's enough other stuff to keep me watching for a few more episodes at least

Oh and BTW, as if Dandy wasn't already a fun character, his Michael Jackson moves before approaching Scarlet made him a Character of The Year contender.

Squire

Banned
"You stupid, useless bowl of fur!"

Funny episode, with the Google, Foursquare, Twitter space based analogues that proves to be helpful or a hindrance to the three of them on their mission for the Ramen.

Also, loved the animation of Michael Jackson moves to impress Scarlett

I've heard Grant James somewhere before in film, but not in Amime. Lupin the Third: A Woman Called Fujiko Mine is the next on my viewing list.

Good on ya. Clear influence on Dandy that's much better.

Lupin>>>>Dandy

Fujiko>>>>Honey + Scarlett

wonzo

Banned
This episode was a huge improvement over the last one, especially thanks to the sentimental part at the end which easily made up for the rather timid humor.

More of that + sakuga & less first half of ep1 pls.

Riki

Loved this episode. And the dub is really good as well. Can't wait for next week's!
Hope Scarlet gets lots more air time.

sonicmj1

Episode 2 was a nice step up. I think they rode that Twitter joke longer than they should have, but there was nothing as boring as the first half of episode 1, and the ramen master story was a great blend of pathos and absurdity. The animation is also just as excellent as last time. It was a lot of fun. The dub voices are growing on me too.

This isn't going to change anime forever, but as long as they can keep this level I'll be happy to watch it every week.

The space aliens telling Dandy to freeze and him spazzing out in response was probably my favorite part. The humor is at its best when it's visual and draws from the Looney Tunes style, and doesn't rely on dialogue, which was the main weakness of the first episode for me. The chemistry between QT, Meow, and Dandy also felt much better this time around.

The space aliens telling Dandy to freeze and him spazzing out in response was probably my favorite part. The humor is at its best when it's visual and draws from the Looney Tunes style, and doesn't rely on dialogue, which was the main weakness of the first episode for me. The chemistry between QT, Meow, and Dandy also felt much better this time around.

i don't agree with this at all. it's hard for me to even pinpoint what was wrong with the physical comedy in this episode, but i thought most of it flat-out didn't work.

Ezalc

I really enjoyed this episode. Full Metal Noodlist was great. Also got that wulong reference there, nice! I'm hoping for cameos.

i don't agree with this at all. it's hard for me to even pinpoint what was wrong with the physical comedy in this episode, but i thought most of it flat-out didn't work.

To each their own. Parts like Dandy trying to run on the conveyor belt, or Meow's face getting flattened, or the two of them getting tossed around by the wormhole were a lot of fun to me.

I don't think the Futurama comparison works because Futurama follows the formula of the modern American cartoon, where the jokes are mainly dialogue based, and Dandy's style is much more Warner Bros. visual nonsense.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
This show is just the right amount of stupid. I don't think I'd let any other show get away with the Gogol Empire using Galaxy Street View to find the protagonist. And the animation is fantastic at times.

To each their own. Parts like Dandy trying to run on the conveyor belt, or Meow's face getting flattened, or the two of them getting tossed around by the wormhole were a lot of fun to me.

I don't think the Futurama comparison works because Futurama follows the formula of the modern American cartoon, where the jokes are mainly dialogue based, and Dandy's style is much more Warner Bros. visual nonsense.

Along with old-school sound cues to acompany the visuals.

well, more what i'm talking about was the stuff like Meow getting thrown out of the airlock, Meow and Dandy fighting inside that alien scanner thing, and most of Dandy's physical reactions. it just kinda seemed like it was trying a little too hard.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
As someone who lives on Twitter, I found this episode positively hilarious.

SD-Ness

Liking it so far. Fun stuff. Feels like a combination of Bebop and FLCL with Golden Boy's raunchy humor and Gurren Lagann's quirky humor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom