• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Space Dandy |OT| We're up all night to... ASK D-N-A... again, baby!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levyne

Banned
That was my main problem with the episode, yeah. I think I verbally groaned when the (mild episode 3 spoiler)
Outdated food was used to win

I'm having a lot of fun with the show as a wacky trip throughout space, but outside of that, it's really leaving plenty to be desired. I'm sorry but the jokes are just objectively poor. For the most part they're very predictable or just forced and clumsy.

Still, it's only been three episodes so far, and it still has time for it to really come into its own, but the weekly wait between episodes isn't helping. (Especially when said episode ends up being rather weak.)

I'm by no means getting off the Dandy train anytime soon though. Even if it's failing miserably to measure up to its legacy, it's still fun.

Episode 2 is the best so far.

Yeah I enjoyed 2 the most as well. I guess I'm a sucker for episodes that don't necessarily progress the plot forward, but focus on a side-story or sideline character with a neat background that makes for a fun temporary visit and fleshes out the lore a bit.

I'm noticing a pattern with this show so far though:

1. Kinda cringey 1st half with disappointing jokes and awkward fanservice
  2. Kick-ass action with amazing animation in the 2nd half.

I haven't seen any of Space Dandy, but I've read many impressions in this thread. I have a question, does it feel like the show is building up towards something bigger at a really slow pace? Is there mystery or some sort of lingering feeling in the air after each episode? Or is the show scatterbrained format wise entirely?
Hmm, tough to answer with only three episodes to go on. I'm gonna say the latter. Something about the villain makes me think they will bring some serious asskicking once they and Dandy meet face-to-face. Maybe that chick from the 2nd episode will come back and jump-start the plot towards making him more central to things, because Dandy isn't serious enough to do it.

People saying this show sucks or will always suck are forgetting one thing: It's Watanabe. These are the same guys that made Bebop; they know how to make shows that are more than worth it. Speaking of Bebop, it actually took 5-6 episodes in for me to really like that show too, and it ended up being one of my favorite anime.

This show's gonna surprise the haters, I can feel it.

Hmm, tough to answer with only three episodes to go on. I'm gonna say the latter. Something about the villain makes me think they will bring some serious asskicking once they and Dandy meet face-to-face. Maybe that chick from the 2nd episode will come back and jump-start the plot towards making him more central to things, because Dandy isn't serious enough to do it.

People saying this show sucks or will always suck are forgetting one thing: It's Watanabe. These are the same guys that made Bebop; they know how to make shows that are more than worth it. Speaking of Bebop, it actually took 5-6 episodes in for me to really like that show too, and it ended up being one of my favorite anime.

This show's gonna surprise the haters, I can feel it.

Yeah, a lot of the best anime pull an extreme bait-n-switch from being severely banal to something absolutely astonishing. (Utena, Eva, Madoka, etc.)

Not saying Dandy's gonna pull a switcheroo anywhere near the same extent, but it definitely has plenty of time to ramp things up still, and way too early to write it off.

Yeah, a lot of the best anime pull an extreme bait-n-switch from being severely banal to something absolutely astonishing. (Utena, Eva, Madoka, etc.)

Not saying Dandy's gonna pull a switcheroo anywhere near the same extent, but it definitely has plenty of time to ramp things up still, and way too early to write it off.
This one still gets me because it was SO extreme. Not good to watch that series if you're severely depressed maybe xD.

Gasaraki's also sort of the same way; I wouldn't say the first few episodes are banal or a bore, especially if you enjoy warfare politics. But the episodes after Episode 4 start going more into the supernatural.

I just watched the first two episodes and I love it! couldn't help but chuckle even if some of the jokes were off. haven't seen three yet(gotta wait til it shows up on the xbox marketplace).

sonicmj1

Episode 3 was alright. Each episode of this show always has something entertaining, and I guess this was no exception. But a lot of the middle of this episode felt pretty dead.

I feel like my expectations are in check, so I wouldn't call it disappointing, but it's not very memorable at the moment, outside of the animation. It feels more like the bad episodes of Level E, instead of like the good episodes of Level E.

Cwarrior

Ep3(sub)

Weakest episode yet, thanks to it being so predictable & run of the mill mediocre it had me yawning through out.

They didn't attempt to do anything interesting with the old monster in disguise plot, whoever wrote this probably wrote this within 5mins or copied it from tvtropes.

don't get me wrong am not saying the writing was kill la kill levels of bad, just that there was very little to no imagination at all put behind it.

Dresden

Case in point.

Haha, I guess we'll see this for the rest of the series. I think the dub is fine otherwise, though. Not sure if Ian Sinclair is capable of anything other than ham, but then, the role probably won't require him to be anything more.

Hands up, who hates QT's dub voice?

tumblr_lo09wlLk7K1qgi7wjo1_500.gif

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I had the silliest grin on my face throughout the entire episode, especially the 2nd part. Easily the best episode so far.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
That was the best episode of anything ever. EVER.

A day in the unlife of a zombie
was legit amazing. The narrator killed it!

Seda

Perhaps no individual moment topped the chase at the end of episode 1, but as a whole that was easily my favorite episode so far.

Rpgmonkey

Easily the best episode so far. I thought it had pretty good jokes and entertaining action spread throughout the episode, and I like how the first half of the episode set up for the second half.

Everyone's faces were so hilarious to me lol.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Universal peace? Of course, Zombie outbreak is the answer!!

10/10 Good show Watanabe.

OK. The show has finally hit its stride. EP 4 was brilliant throughout. I felt like I was forcing myself to enjoy the previous episodes in order to see the a few clever moments. This episode was just perfect and what I wanted from this show. If Space Dandy continues this, it could really be something special. Now I'm glad that this show isn't just another Cowboy Bebop.

Space Dandy - Episode 4

Best episode yet. I actually laughed while watching this episode, which I didn't do as much when I watched the other episodes of Dandy. My only flaw was the
mercenary fight scene
, it looked very strange. Still one of the best episodes, but just something I noticed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom