• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Space Dandy |OT| We're up all night to... ASK D-N-A... again, baby!

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
It's best not to say "its not funny therefore its bad" in a object manner, because humor is extremely subjective and if you didnt laugh but someone else did, is it still not funny or just not funny to you personally?

Moaradin

I personally find the show funny. Not all the jokes hit for me, but that doesn't effect my enjoyment of the show. Just Dandy and his crew dicking around in space is amusing to me. The stellar music and animation sure helps.

It's best not to say "its not funny therefore its bad" in a object manner, because humor is extremely subjective and if you didnt laugh but someone else did, is it still not funny or just not funny to you personally?

Yeah. "It's not funny" as the consensus knock against it I find as funny as I do the show.

Jarmel

Banned

There are ways of arguing about comedies though. For example the big twist that the female is a monster has been done to death before and was very obviously telegraphed. You can also argue that the show is going over jokes already established before.

That said, anyone wanting a serial or serious show, this is not for you. There will almost certainly never be any serious continuity. The show is very straight forward about being shallow as fuck.

Jarmel

Banned
Pretty bad one at that. Watching Archer this week made me notice how much I haven't laugh watching Space Dandy. Rick and Morty is also a better (lite) sci-fi comedy series.

Archer can be unfunny as fuck at times too. That said, Archer is definitely more serial. It can be more goofball but they do play things straight. Almost nothing on Space Dandy so far has been played remotely straight other than the Ramen Master bit.

Part of the issue is that there have been so many comedic space shows, that almost every possible story and joke has already been made and done.

But it's not like comedies can't have good characterization or plots, as has been proved again and again..

Not all comedies want to have plots or characterization though. There are so many different subgenres of comedy.

Sadsic

the humor of the show is just really weak; it doesnt really subvert much expectations or try anything too revolutionary, and only really tries to make jokes based on the "dandy is incompetent and lecherous all the time (and meow to a lesser extent)" schtick

theres no real depth to the humor at all, its literal face value stuff

the funniest part of the episode to me was just the animation of the female turning into the boob monster because it was so ridiculous

Mature

I think the show is funny, but find it more successful in sight gags than in it's writing.

Oh and, ta-dah:
EXUoMPN.png

woodland

Not all comedies want to have plots or characterization though. There are so many different subgenres of comedy.

Definitely not, but they can always help. Sometimes they can be the difference between a not funny comedy but a great show for me, or the difference between a good show for those that love it plus a fantastic one.

Narras

For me, I'm hoping the show's humor improves. I enjoyed this week's episode, but it doesn't help that I can watch a random episode of Boondocks before it and find that show much more funny.

Jarmel

Banned
Kill La Kill for example is a serious story with comedic undertones. Iron Man 3 is a comedy with action tones. Futurama is a goofball comedy with some minor degree of continuity, similar to the Simpsons. Archer is a serial comedic action cartoon, however American Dad isn't serial. Noragami, another BONES show, is a straight up action show with some light comedic scenes in there.

Some comedies are laugh out loud, while others just have a humorous environments/atmospheres. It's damn near impossible to say what a comedy should and shouldn't do. There are some episodes of Futurama or Archer where I don't laugh at all but they are my favorite episodes in the franchise.

Tacitus_

I expected something like Black Dynamite out of this. For example, in one episode Black Dynamite goes to space, makes friends with a Soviet space monkey in an abandoned space station and they go to the Moon where they fight Moon Bitches.

dan2026

If all you guys complaining really don't like anything about the show its probably time to give up.

Three episode rule. If you don't like it now, watch a different anime series, its not like there is a drought of them.

Dresden

If all you guys complaining really don't like anything about the show its probably time to give up.

Three episode rule. If you don't like it now, watch a different anime series, its not like there is a drought of them.

Do you follow this rule, too? Or is there a series you continue to watch, complaining every week?

dan2026

Do you follow this rule, too? Or is there a series you continue to watch, complaining every week?

Nope currently the only series' that I watch weekly are this, Hunter x Hunter and Hajime no Ippo. And I enjoy all three.

I will be watching the new season of Jojo in April. I this is no way I won't enjoy that.
Its freaking Jojo.

Jarmel

Banned

I do think it depends on the type of show like whether it's an anime or a Western TV show. Western TV shows in general run for much longer periods of time so even if the first season sucks, chances are the 2nd could be much better. Of course there are also shows like Agents of SHIELD where I should have followed the three episode rule and dropped it like the dog shit it was. With anime though, they just don't run for near as long.

Jigolo

I don't know but the complaints here are getting old fast. It's crystal clear a few here don't like the show but continue to stink up the thread. Ok we get this show didn't live up to your expectations. Move on.

dan2026

I don't know but the complaints here are getting old fast. It's crystal clear a few here don't like the show but continue to stink up the thread. Ok we get this show didn't live up to your expectations. Move on.

Yeah that's what's bothering me.

From episode one its been 'where is the continuity?' or 'the comedy sucks' or bizarrely 'it isn't Bebop'.

We are on episode 3 now and the show is still the same show as it was in episode 1.
All these pointless negative comments are starting to drag down the people who are enjoying it.

Jarmel

Banned

I do think some of the complaints though about the show not being funny are valid. Also you don't want the thread becoming a big circle jerk.

duckroll

I don't want to see another post about people complaining about "negativity" or "complainers" or telling people who dislike something to go away. OTs are not circlejerks which only exist for people who like something to praise it and exist in a vacuum of positivity.

If anyone is interested enough in something enough to watch it and have something to say about it, they're welcome in the thread. They don't have to like it. If people are taking cheap pot shots on a show without actually watching it, that's another matter, but most people here are clearly watching the show and reacting to the actual material.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Even the second half of this episode was disappointing as hell. rip watanabe
Honestly the worst part about the episode was how little happened.. it left me with the feeling of "that's it?" it especially disappointing when you compare it to something like a episode of Cowboy Bebop or Samurai Champloo which had episodes that could have been turned into a whole movie in itself.

ANIME IS SAVED
It's definitely got me watching Toonami again. Can't live off Boondocks repeats forever and curiously Black Dynamite has never really appealed to me. And I don't care for Bleach. Or Naruto. Or Sword Art.

I like Space Dandy exactly for what it is; shlock comedy. It's not trying to be Bebop, it's trying to be its own thing. Reminds me a little of Trigun before its main plot kicked off, but with an even less serious mood.

Good fun, hope this is a trend in new scifi "adult" anime coming around.

MormaPope

Banned
I haven't seen any of Space Dandy, but I've read many impressions in this thread. I have a question, does it feel like the show is building up towards something bigger at a really slow pace? Is there mystery or some sort of lingering feeling in the air after each episode? Or is the show scatterbrained format wise entirely?

FluxWaveZ

I haven't seen any of Space Dandy, but I've read many impressions in this thread. I have a question, does it feel like the show is building up towards something bigger at a really slow pace? Is there mystery or some sort of lingering feeling in the air after each episode? Or is the show scatterbrained format wise entirely?

Latter.

Unless space ape and his skeleton boss chasing Dandy around the universe becomes an increasingly big deal, which I really, really doubt.

Narag

Feels scattered as the JP ED does more to tie the episodes together than anything actually in ep.

Mature

Probably a bit too soon to say. There's an overall antagonist, but it's been pretty trivial so far.

ZoddGutts

Think Excel Saga if you ever seen that anime.

DarkKyo

I think it's way too early to judge the show for what it could end up being but there certainly haven't been any outstanding episodes yet. However I really like it so far just for the concepts(story, characters, imaginitive space stuff), its impressive animation style and energy, the music, and its overall potential. It's quite enjoyable and I really like the characters so far.

Cwarrior

Ep2(sub)

better episode then the first, which isn't much to write home about, the alien designs(those noodles) and the great animtion is what makes this watchable for me, a large chunk of it is boring/un-entertaining like it's weak attempts at unimaginative unfun jokes.

omgkitty

It just kills me how good the Japanese outro is and yet they seem to want to Americanize the shit out of the show with it's terrible US intro and outro.

TimmiT

It just kills me how good the Japanese outro is and yet they seem to want to Americanize the shit out of the show with it's terrible US intro and outro.

It's more that they weren't able to use the full OP and ED. Though like mentioned above, they're working on putting the Japanese OP and ED in the dubbed version.

dan2026

It's more that they weren't able to use the full OP and ED. Though like mentioned above, they're working on putting the Japanese OP and ED in the dubbed version.

I find it really bizarre that they would have to license them separately.

But then I am ignorant to these things.

Considering funimation has had problems licensing the openings to shows for their simulcast in the past. People behind Toonami say they are working with funi to get the full op and ed for the show which is better then the usual "our hands are tied"

woodland

Anyone else notice there was no Meow in that preview a couple of posts up? Don't remember if he was in the one right after the show but could they possibly not have Meow?..

omgkitty

Anyone else notice there was no Meow in that preview a couple of posts up? Don't remember if he was in the one right after the show but could they possibly not have Meow?..

He was in the preview briefly for the one that I watched. I don't think this show has any problems just doing whatever the hell they feel like. They all died in the first episode and completely ignored it.

So far not feeling it yet but then again it took me a while to really get into Bebop. I don't think I really was into Bebop until Heavy Metal Queen (which was like ep 10 or something). Not drawing comparisons just noting how long it took me to become heavily invested in something by the same director.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
How is it so hard to get the license for a song that's made for the show itself? That makes 0 sense.

Japanese audio licensing is usually split between digital\physical media, and domestic\overseas markets.
It's a mess.

vocab

How is it so hard to get the license for a song that's made for the show itself? That makes 0 sense.

Zeta gundam and Speed grapher are pretty big examples. One guy owns the lyrics, and duran duran own the song. Shit happens when more than one company uses the rights to a song.

Anyway, episode 3 was pretty weak shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom