• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Space Dandy |OT| We're up all night to... ASK D-N-A... again, baby!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

https://twitter.com/space_dandy/status/419741517113090049
https://twitter.com/space_dandy/status/419742046039994369
https://twitter.com/space_dandy/status/427451085700087811

Some of this news is old, but it's more relevant now. The next few episodes will feature insert songs.

Next week's episode will have an insert song by Izumi Macra, composed by Izumi Macra and Yoko Kanno, arranged and produced by Mabanua. Ep6 will have an insert song by Junk Fujiyama, and ep9 will have a song by Dokaka.

In the Japanese version, the girl in next week's episode will be played by Kana Hanazawa.
Hype.

Dresden

https://twitter.com/space_dandy/status/419741517113090049
https://twitter.com/space_dandy/status/419742046039994369
https://twitter.com/space_dandy/status/427451085700087811

Some of this news is old, but it's more relevant now. The next few episodes will feature insert songs.

Next week's episode will have an insert song by Izumi Macra, composed by Izumi Macra and Yoko Kanno, arranged and produced by Mabanua. Ep6 will have an insert song by Junk Fujiyama, and ep9 will have a song by Dokaka.

In the Japanese version, the girl in next week's episode will be played by Kana Hanazawa.

IiD1Oril.jpg

RedBoot

I assume that's the song that's in the trailer? I'm going to be needing this OST as soon as it's available.

Kettch

Weird to see all the love in here for the zombie episode. I thought it was extremely boring and pointless. They become zombies and then...it slowly fizzles out for 10 minutes. Not that I was a big fan of the earlier episodes, but they were at least fun to watch.

Dresden

I thought it did a good job of stepping it up and breaking the tedium with something clever or inventive whenever it was needed. Just as it's about to get dull - zombie guru, yogurt, etc. Just as it's about to get dull again - insurance hitmen, capping benefits, etc.

Evilisk

Weird to see all the love in here for the zombie episode. I thought it was extremely boring and pointless. They become zombies and then...it slowly fizzles out for 10 minutes. Not that I was a big fan of the earlier episodes, but they were at least fun to watch.

Yeah this.

It was funny at first but it just dragged on and on

I mean I got the jokes, I just didn't laugh at them or anything

LogicStep

I knew that voice sounded familiar. rip.

I started watching this yesterday, up to episode 3. Liking it so far. So there isn't an ongoing story, it's more of random stuff every episode? That first ep was a bit weird.

Zombie episode was pretty cool. The whole lack of continuity thing is kinda lame though. I mean, I appreciate and enjoy that it lets the show and story go into all sorts of insane places without consequences, but at the same time, it feels like a "we don't know how to properly resolve this" cop-out.

Four episodes in, the show's firmly cementing itself into fun, but nothing special territory. Let's see how it fairs going forward.

Sad news guys

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...happosai-voice-actor-ichiro-nagai-passes-away

The voice actor who played the old ramen shop alien has just passed away.

RIP.

Easily my favorite episode so far, hands down.

Mature

Zombie episode was pretty cool. The whole lack of continuity thing is kinda lame though. I mean, I appreciate and enjoy that it lets the show and story go into all sorts of insane places without consequences, but at the same time, it feels like a "we don't know how to properly resolve this" cop-out.
I don't think they had any intention of resolving anything "properly"...

I asked myself if these episodes would have been improved if Dandy and crew didn't blow themselves up, didn't get Meow eaten, and didn't turn the universe into zombies. And I really don't think a proper resolution would add anything at all.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Zombie episode was pretty cool. The whole lack of continuity thing is kinda lame though. I mean, I appreciate and enjoy that it lets the show and story go into all sorts of insane places without consequences, but at the same time, it feels like a "we don't know how to properly resolve this" cop-out
In the first episode, when the crew tugged on the cosmic chain they created 25 parallel universes each with its own version of the crew. BOOM, continuity.

Firemind

I concur. "Zombies are like real people!" Am... am I supposed to laugh now? It's no Toys In The Attic.

The art detail in the character animation has also taken a nose dive. The sequence with the mercenaries in the hospital was especially offensive. It was apparent in episode 2 and 3 as well. Guess the budget is close to being stretched out at this point.

I concur. "Zombies are like real people!" Am... am I supposed to laugh now? It's no Toys In The Attic.

The art detail in the character animation has also taken a nose dive. The sequence with the mercenaries in the hospital was especially offensive. It was apparent in episode 2 and 3 as well. Guess the budget is close to being stretched out at this point.

It definitely looked like their shapes were looser and moving around almost jello-like. I thought it was more of a stylistic choice though. Who knows.

I see that once again anime fans are voicing their preference for detailed stills over fluid, loose animation. What a disservice that does to the art of animation.

Mature

Speaking of animation, I especially liked these couple cuts from the last episode:
5f32177303146fd4782d3319eb55194a.gif

2a9723d984ac91d2c0849ee6cad7c61a.gif

The latter ended up being a great set-up joke for the mercenaries
ultimately getting turned to zombies quickly.
They do look wreckless.

Clov

The first half of the episode was okay, but the second half was great! Seeing the lives of the crew as zombies was way funnier than I thought it would be.

duckroll

It kinda goes back and forth. You can tell when they're kinda rushing stuff. A decent chunk of the mall sequence had fairly liquidy looking characters, but that's the exception more than the norm imo.

There are two different schools of thought regarding animation. One is that consistency should be king, and the hand of the individual animators should never be noticed in a production. The other is that animators should be allowed to express their individual signatures and style even if it clashes with the visual norm, simply to have more variety and creativity in the work.

Watanabe has made it very clear that Space Dandy subscribes to the latter much more than usual, even in Japanese animation (which already favors the latter school of thought in principal). The different designers, creators, directors, and animators brought together to make each episode are each expected to bring something different, and not to conform to anything.

The style of the art and animation in the show changing even within an episode should not be viewed as the show being "rushed" or something that is unintended.

Yonafunu

Thats called a smear. Its a basic technique in animation to convey movement. Lol.

I see that once again anime fans are voicing their preference for detailed stills over fluid, loose animation. What a disservice that does to the art of animation.

Agreed. I love Yutaka Nakamura as much as the next guy, believe me. But heck, different animators have vastly different styles, and I think that variety is one of Space Dandy's greatest charms.

Edit: also, everything duckroll said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom