• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Space Dandy |OT| We're up all night to... ASK D-N-A... again, baby!

Status
Not open for further replies.
No way! The dub is great for the most part :)

I actually prefer Dandy's english voice.

Tbf, I do like Dandy's english voice. I just think the JP voices are better for every other character including the narrator. I generally prefer subs in movies, dramas, etc... but I do always acknowledge great dubs. Cowboy Bebop for instance has a great one as do countless other shows.

Pete Rock

I actually enjoyed this one least of all as far as the story goes, but it wasn't bad by any means. The animation seemed heavily inspired by or in tribute to Cat Soup.

duckroll

http://www.space-dandy.com/episode/10/

Are you ready for mecha??? Oh and Meow's family too I guess. Lol.

oYOsAQs.png

oiF6lHz.png

Moaradin

I loved that episode. Very heartwarming in moments, and pretty hilarious in others. The art looked gorgeous as well. My favorite episode so far.

Jarmel

Banned
So many 8 references in this episode. Holy shit.

Meow scored an eight on his math test.
This aired on the 8th.

I'm sure there are more. KyoAni eat your fucking heart out and be ashamed.

That was great. Absolutely fantastic. Wonderful use of time repeating itself and finding a genuine resolution to it all.

I love our crew consisting of a block head, bone head, and pin head.

duckroll

That was a good episode. It handled the pacing and the concept really well. Some of the backgrounds were really detailed too. I love the look of the empty town and the metal workshop. Solid art setting and props all round. The mechs were a MASSIVE troll, but it worked well too in playing with expectations. I could do with a bit less of the 4th wall breaking stuff with the narrative, but still, good stuff. Maybe that stuff will feel better in Japanese, because as much as I like the dub here, the narrator doesn't have the same presence as the Japanese one. It's probably an intentional choice in voice direction, but I like a narrative voice with more punch personally.

Next week looks like it's going to be another major art departure from the series norm. It's going to be crazy anyway because it's the first episode scripted by Toh Enjoe. Lol. Animator Hiroyuki Okuno is directing the episode with a storyboard by Atsushi Takahashi (Blue Exorcist movie). Okuno is also handling the animation direction along with his buddy Hisashi Mori. The two animators are known for their collaboration during the Samurai 7 series, with Mori animating key scenes in all the episodes Okuno directed. The best known one is probably episode 7 which was animated entirely by Mori and Okuno alone.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I think my favorite thing brought upon by this show is some people loving a episode, and some people hating it, and then then the next episode the people who loved the last one now hate this one and vice versa.

Yonafunu

Next week looks like it's going to be another major art departure from the series norm. It's going to be crazy anyway because it's the first episode scripted by Toh Enjoe. Lol. Animator Hiroyuki Okuno is directing the episode with a storyboard by Atsushi Takahashi (Blue Exorcist movie). Okuno is also handling the animation direction along with his buddy Hisashi Mori. The two animators are known for their collaboration during the Samurai 7 series, with Mori animating key scenes in all the episodes Okuno directed. The best known one is probably episode 7 which was animated entirely by Mori and Okuno alone.

Hisashi Mori next week? Hype!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I'm sure there are more. KyoAni eat your fucking heart out and be ashamed.
Why would they be ashamed? Endless Eight is the pinnacle of Japanimation. The fact the creators of Space Dandy felt the need to pay tribute to it just goes to prove this.

kirblar

I love this show for introducing me to the insanity that is Endless Eight. Had never heard of it before beyond hearing of the show itself. Such a well executed call-out for those who "got" it immediately, along with all the other Easter eggs

Kieli

Why would they be ashamed? Endless Eight is the pinnacle of Japanimation. The fact the creators of Space Dandy felt the need to pay tribute to it just goes to prove this.

KyoAni faces have become terrifying. Especially the K-On girls. *shudders*

Something about that blob with distinguishable human features such as eyes, nose, etc... that look like they were melted onto a sphere of human-tissue-colored wax. Oh man.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Wow, dat Ideon homage at the beginning with the combining parts

Also lol @ space McDonalds

wait, so it's a
Groundhog Loop episode
?

EDIT: Lesbian kitties. Kay.

I like this Groundhog Day episode. I see people mentioning it's an Endless Eight homage, but I never watched it, all I know about that is it just pissed off a lot of Haruhi fans because only the 8th episode was different (maybe they made some slight difference each episode). Which is hilarious because I heard they made the people redraw and voice act the same thing pretty much 7 times in a row. I like that it was only like 5 minutes until the narrator was tired of the time BS. I can't imagine anyone actually sitting through 8 episodes of a non aware groundhog day plot (in the movie at least the main character was aware of the loop).

I like this Groundhog Day episode. I see people mentioning it's an Endless Eight homage, but I never watched it, all I know about that is it just pissed off a lot of Haruhi fans because only the 8th episode was different (maybe they made some slight difference each episode). Which is hilarious because I heard they made the people redraw and voice act the same thing pretty much 7 times in a row. I like that it was only like 5 minutes until the narrator was tired of the time BS. I can't imagine anyone actually sitting through 8 episodes of a non aware groundhog day plot (in the movie at least the main character was aware of the loop).

I did some quick research on that storyline and considering the abilities of the characters and the season of the year, I can fully buy why that would happen and the subsequent repetition. I fault the viewer for not understanding or buying in to what the creators were doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom