• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Space Dandy |OT| We're up all night to... ASK D-N-A... again, baby!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Hahahah what a trippy episode. I don't see the "lower animation" though, but that's just me.

I swear, IDEON will become an important plotpoint at some episode. It's showing up in the opening (Japanese) a lot.

fleck0

I loved episode 9, I was all like -

klkhmOt.jpg

sonicmj1

Episode 9 was great. The plot hit a lot of basic "space adventure quest" type points (down to the alien's daughter helping him find the treasure), but it all seemed totally foreign thanks to the crazy visual design. Even the soundtrack was totally out there. It wasn't a very exciting tale, but it fulfilled the promise of going on a search for totally unusual aliens better than any other episode so far.

Even if it's been going for totally different things every episode, I feel like it's been a while since we had any serious clunkers like the first half of episode 1.

Okay, this one is the best ep so far. The art and music are amazing. I did like Kaiba, so that may influence it.

9 > 7 > 2 > 4 > 8 > 6 > 3 > 1 > 5

My man, you're the only one here besides me that thinks 5 is the weakest.

Ep 9 I only found decent though... I'm really temted to try watching it again under the influence of something though, lol.

I don't really think this show lives up to Watanabe's pedigree... but I still really like it a lot. Let's say, it's worse than Bebop and Champloo, but deserves to be mentioned in the same breath.
I keep finding myself rewatching eps, really puts me in a mellow mood.

Totakeke

Woah, episode 9 is trippy and I like it because it's different.

Next episode seems will be sentimental again like the alien girl episode I bet.

duckroll

Thomas Romain commented weeks ago that ep10 is one of the craziest and weirdest episodes, more so than ep9, so I don't know if it's going to be exactly what it looks like. The person handling the episode is Masayuki Miyaji - he was the assistant director of Eureka 7, and the director of X'amd and Fuse. So while I'm sure there'll be more grounded character moments, there should also be serious action.

The story is about a time loop of sorts, and the Japanese preview for the episode revealed that Kunio Okawara (Gundam) and Yuichi Higuchi (Ideon) did guest mecha designs for the episode. Judging from the Space Dandy poster (and opening animation) with lots of designs from throughout the series, there's a giant mech which is a clear homage to Ideon. That might be showing up this week... lol.

Thomas Romain commented weeks ago that ep10 is one of the craziest and weirdest episodes, more so than ep9, so I don't know if it's going to be exactly what it looks like. The person handling the episode is Masayuki Miyaji - he was the assistant director of Eureka 7, and the director of X'amd and Fuse. So while I'm sure there'll be more grounded character moments, there should also be serious action.

The story is about a time loop of sorts, and the Japanese preview for the episode revealed that Kunio Okawara (Gundam) and Yuichi Higuchi (Ideon) did guest mecha designs for the episode. Judging from the Space Dandy poster (and opening animation) with lots of designs from throughout the series, there's a giant mech which is a clear homage to Ideon. That might be showing up this week... lol.

Wait so next week isn't a meow back story episode its a mech episode?

Gorillaz

so it's mechs and meow back story at once?

Because I agree it looked like it was more about his stuff then anything from that preview...but then again this show changes pace at any time so I wouldn't be surprised

JoeFu

Banned
I liked episode 9. It reminded me a lot of Botanicula, especially the music. I really liked it, but it was also super weird .

Jarmel

Banned

wut

I expected this to be a down to earth story. Oh man.

At least I'm getting trapar waves out of this.

I thought 5 was the weakest just above 3. Both episodes managed to keep me entertained though.

I can agree with that. If nothing else, even when an ep doesn't completely resonate with me, I still find it entertaining if nothing else.
BTW, this show has some really strong endings. Even if an ep is boring, it always seems to pull it back in the last few minutes. Like ep 6 and the surfing scene. Or ep7, which was strong the whole way through, and still kicked it up a notch at the end.

Silvawuff

I wasn't sure what to think, but I think I like this, in a weird sort of way. It manages to be fun and entertaining, and I never know what to expect. Also Meow is adorable.

Celine

Last episode (9) was by far the best one.
Simple story, no silly jokes and awesome graphics and music.

It kinda reminded me of the odd soviet cartoons.

These are the best ones yet IMO:
9>2>7>6>5

LordCanti

Episode 9 is the first thing worth really mentioning with this show. The art was fantastic. I'm hoping for more of this and less of what we'd seen previously.

Chris R

Loved the episode, and it was only made better when I remembered to mute the opening song and have youtube open to play the English one :(

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
The animation for the JP intro is far better but in terms of my own musical taste I vastly prefer the music used for the trashy NA intro.

The dub is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom