• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Space: The Final Frontier

Is the Space Launch System better and/or more feasible than the original constellation program? I prefer the looks of The Space Launch System, personally. I love the old school Saturn V styled rocket.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Is the Space Launch System better and/or more feasible than the original constellation program? I prefer the looks of The Space Launch System, personally. I love the old school Saturn V styled rocket.

What do you mean by better and/or more feasible? It's the same concept with 50 more years of technology on top of it...

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck

Sirius

Richard-Fleet-rf20120805sun_1344202722_lg.jpg

Richard-Fleet-rf20120805filament_1344202722_lg.jpg

From Spaceweather.com :

This a new low for me as a science enthusiast, yet I cannot be the only one seeing this:

RpuMr.jpg

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Uh...please listen to this bit by Sagan. Hadn't heard it before. It's a message to future human martian explorers:

http://soundcloud.com/brainpicker/carl-sagan-message-for-mars

http://www.brainpickings.org/index.php/2012/08/08/carl-sagan-message-to-mars/

It echoes a few things we've all heard him say in some of those beautifully repurposed videos with LOST music, but this is particularly touching. You can hear him contemplating his own existence, just briefly.

Love it.

Which videos with LOST music?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPM-vKpiKR0 ?

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Love it.

Which videos with LOST music?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPM-vKpiKR0 ?

oh damn...the one i was talking about is gone! :(

One of the best videos ever, too. Same basic quote as the one you've attached, better music, fantastic video editing. There's a particular part where Sagan is talking about our eventual descendents "a species very like us," and it showed an old tree/bush from Africa or the Outback or something and combined with the music and his words it was an instant window into the future, some millions of years forward.

found a version with the music but not the fantastic video edits:
http://www.digitallearningfoundation.org/content/carl-sagan-how-many-rivers-we-had-cross

Zapages

I am just wondering how many here have seen the international space station move across the night sky? Its really cool as it becomes bright and then dims and bright again due to the sun reflecting on it. :)

A reminder :

THE PERSEID METEOR SHOWER IS UNDERWAY:

Earth is entering a stream of debris from Comet Swift-Tuttle, source of the annual Perseid meteor shower. Worldwide observers are now reporting more than 30 Perseids per hour, a number that could triple during the weekend when Earth reaches the heart of the debris zone. Forecasters recommend looking during the dark hours before dawn, especially Sunday morning, August 12th, when activity is expected to be highest.

http://www.spaceweather.com/

Just finished watching Cosmos. What a fantastic series it is. I'd like to see something similar be done today but with a whole new angle to it.

As for my earlier question a page ago...

What I was asking was how is The Space Launch System "better" over the cancelled Constellation program? Both programs seem very similar.

Bowdz

Just finished watching Cosmos. What a fantastic series it is. I'd like to see something similar be done today but with a whole new angle to it.

As for my earlier question a page ago...

What I was asking was how is The Space Launch System "better" over the cancelled Constellation program? Both programs seem very similar.

Cosmos is getting a reboot next year with Neil deGrasse Tyson hosting it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/05/a...osmos-with-seth-macfarlane-as-a-producer.html

That's some weird poetic justice that Fox, of all networks, will be airing it. Should be fun to see what happens when Fox(news) talks about the new series on broadcast TV.

sinxtanx

Looked at some perseids :D

One in particular burned for so long that you'd have time to poke someone, point to it, say "Shit's on fire, yo" and they'd still have time to look at it for several seconds.
Motherfucker just kept. On. Burning.
At last it fizzled out and every single hair on my body just went

HOT

DAMN

and then I saw about a dozen more before I decided it was too cold to lie in the grass anymore

Looked at some perseids :D

One in particular burned for so long that you'd have time to poke someone, point to it, say "Shit's on fire, yo" and they'd still have time to look at it for several seconds.
Motherfucker just kept. On. Burning.
At last it fizzled out and every single hair on my body just went

HOT

DAMN

and then I saw about a dozen more before I decided it was too cold to lie in the grass anymore

Where are you at? I'm in Jordan (it's 3:00am now), I went out for a while earlier but didn't see any. Will try my luck again a bit later...

I was out for 20 minutes and caught two shooting stars. First one appeared soon after I looked up, caught me off guard and was pretty bright.

I didn't know they could burn for so long. Usually when I see a shooting star it just flashes by and it doesn't take longer than one/two seconds, but this one burned for maybe 10 seconds. Fascinating.

I stood out in my garden at around 3am after I got home from being out.

Saw quite a few meteors, really amazing to watch and saw quite a few big ones that lingered.

There are more tonight right?

Good article from BBC Science,

Will we ever… find life elsewhere in the universe?`

The idea of aliens may seem absurd. But times change, as does science, says Phil Plait, and this makes the idea far more plausible than it once appeared.

They haven’t found anything yet, but as SETI astronomer Seth Shostak points out, we’ve just started looking. There’s a lot of galaxy and a lot of radio wave frequencies to sift through. But our technology gets better all the time, allowing for more sensitive searches. According to Shostak, if they’re out there and currently sending signals our way, we should have an answer one way or another in about 25 years given the way things are going.

=)

oh damn...the one i was talking about is gone! :(

One of the best videos ever, too. Same basic quote as the one you've attached, better music, fantastic video editing. There's a particular part where Sagan is talking about our eventual descendents "a species very like us," and it showed an old tree/bush from Africa or the Outback or something and combined with the music and his words it was an instant window into the future, some millions of years forward.

found a version with the music but not the fantastic video edits:
http://www.digitallearningfoundation.org/content/carl-sagan-how-many-rivers-we-had-cross

http://youtu.be/oY59wZdCDo0

This one?

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Tyson said they have their sights set very high for the new Cosmos so I'm ok with them taking more time if it means a better product in the end. They want to produce something that will have the impact and lasting power that the original Cosmos did.

Socreges

Banned
Went camping last night, by convenience on the same night as Perseides. We were on a beach with no street lights or buildings within several km so I was excited to get a great view. Sure enough, though, it's overcast all night (we were on the ocean) so my gf and I head to bed a bit disappointed. About an hour later our friends wake us up. The sky had cleared up, and I don't remember it ever being so filled with stars. We could even see the "Milky Way" stretching across the sky. Then we see a meteor.

My friend: "That was just a shooting star"
"....wait, what do you think a shooting star is?"
"Something different, isn't it."
"A shooting star is a meteor..."
"..."
"This is what we're here for."

Was honestly happy that he didn't actually think a shooting star was literally a shooting star. Though I was camping with some people last weekend who thought Pluto had been "downgraded to a star". And these are fairly intelligent people. Just totally ignorant to astronomy.

Anyway, there were tons all over the sky. I came out later in the night and they were appearing even more frequently. I didn't see any slow burners, though.

I need a telescope. And maybe some new friends.

Sirius

^Sounds amazing, would have been an awesomely romantic night as well I'm sure.

I recall only once being able to clearly see the Milky Way - on my one trip out to the country-side far enough so that we could actually see the dome of light on the horizon that was the city.
Eyes did not adjust at first, as the camp fire was quite large. Once it died down though, the night sky was quite literally a window to the Galaxy, a cross-section of the Milky Way. I could not sleep.

Add that with Google SkyMaps on our phones and it was the best night outside ever.

Top Bottom