• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spartacus: War of the Damned - the conclusion of a legendary journey - Fri on Starz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enosh

Jesus fucking christ. How about spoiler tagging that shit? I have no got round to watching the episode yet.
as per forum rules, once the show has officially aired there are no obligations to use spoiler tags anymore

anyone going into the thread is doing it at his own risk if he didn't watch the latest episode yet

giga

she went through a lot though, so some of the personal change makes sense. S1 Naevia wouldn't have been able to kill shit.
Yeah, but killing numerous Roman soldiers single handedly? It's not happening.

She's not a gladiator, and definitely not even close to the skill level of the elite gladiators like Spartacus/Crixus/Gannicus/Oenomaus.

TrutaS

Yea, I wonder what the reception would be for Naevia if the original actor didn't leave.

I believe they adapt the characters to the strength of the actor, so probably Naevia would have gone a very different direction with the original actress. She was more fragile and likeable than the new Naevia and that is probably why they wrote this whole transformation for the character.

Overall while I am enjoying this season I miss the women intrigue and scheming of past seasons, I always enjoyed that along with the battles. Am I missing some other show where I could be filling that void?

hamchan

I don't know how some of y'all are cheering for Tiberius over Caesar.

I don't see anyone doing this? Caesar is regarded as quite an awesome character I feel.

as per forum rules, once the show has officially aired there are no obligations to use spoiler tags anymore

anyone going into the thread is doing it at his own risk if he didn't watch the latest episode yet

I think he was talking about the Arrow gif.

985boi

And don't forget he's also Azog the Defiler in the Hobbit movies.

Hope to see Many Bennett in a lot more stuff after Spartacus.

Yeah I remember listening to a podcast Liam was in, he made the move to Hollywood after the show ended. Hopefully both them get a lot of work.

Hystzen

Meh I have no issues with the backstab it only way take them down as in all fights frontal attacks have failed.

Plus I'm still bitter over Lugo being off screened last episode he deserved go down in glory as long as Naveia gets a shit death I won't mind

Crixus did say "he would not fall with Roman sword in my back" during his argument with Spartacus last week

Shadow780

I take back anything bad I've said about Crixus, you badass motherfucker deserves every praise EVER. Dat speech, dat bromance, dat last fight! ;____________________;

Really liked the writers took liberty on how Spartacus and Crixus split up since I think it was not nearly as amicable as in this episode.

It's kinda dumb but reminds me of Crisis Core (lol) where I know he's gonna die but it did not damn cause any less of an impact when that happened. Goddamn did they delivered that scene beautifully. But Naevia still trolls on, SMFH.

Tiberius the backstabber wtf have you done to my beautiful Caesar?! This guy has exceeded Geoffrey Lannister punch-inducing facial expression.

For all the great sense of scale they did with Melia Ridge, the final battle between Crixus's army and the Romans was pretty bad.

So the initial legion just marched up while Crixus was making his big speech and just stood there and watched them push flaming balls at them? The boulders barely rolled before they hit the Romans?

Also, wasn't Tiberius agreeing with Crassus about pursuing Spartacus while Arrius slowed Crixus down? Why the about face?

Paches

For all the great sense of scale they did with Melia Ridge, the final battle between Crixus's army and the Romans was pretty bad.

So the initial legion just marched up while Crixus was making his big speech and just stood there and watched them push flaming balls at them? The boulders barely rolled before they hit the Romans?

Also, wasn't Tiberius agreeing with Crassus about pursuing Spartacus while Arrius slowed Crixus down? Why the about face?

I laughed out loud and almost fell out of my recliner at that.

The very last few minutes of that episode looked really, really good. Something about those Roman outfits crowding around Crixus and Naevia popped off the screen, and that eye reflection to end the show.... So good and so sad.

MG310

Plus I'm still bitter over Lugo being off screened last episode he deserved go down in glory as long as Naveia gets a shit death I won't mind

Lugo isn't dead...check the hot tub full of ladies and Lugo during the farewell party on this week's episode. Oddly he chose to go with Spartacus.

Dram

Most of the minor named rebel characters left stayed with Spartacus. I think one minor rebel character died in the final battle.

Sober

Pretty sure all the Germans they freed last season left with Spartacus, probably because they just wanted to go back to Germany.

MrHicks

Banned
crassus's son didn't even exist IRL so im 100% sure ceasar is gonna get sweet revenge by the time the show is over

either killed or humiliated is an epic way

Joni

Most of the minor named rebel characters left stayed with Spartacus. I think one minor rebel character died in the final battle.
I think only Crixus, Aggron and Neavia were taken down. So that leaves us with Spartacus, Gannicus, Saxa, Nasir, Lugo, Castus. Aside from Aggron all the Germans left with Spartacus which is logical, they never liked Crixus.

crassus's son didn't even exist IRL so im 100% sure ceasar is gonna get sweet revenge by the time the show is over
His actual oldest son was named Marcus Crassus so they probably just renamed that kid.

xenist

either killed or humiliated is an epic way

Historical spoiler:
Not anyone named Tiberius anyway. He had two. One of them died with him at Carrae many years later and one of them became a politician and outlived him. So, even though I feel Tiberius is being set up for a fall, he could survive.

Dram

I think only Crixus, Aggron and Neavia were taken down. So that leaves us with Spartacus, Gannicus, Saxa, Nasir, Lugo, Castus. Aside from Aggron all the Germans left with Spartacus which is logical, they never liked Crixus.

The minor one was the character Caesar stabbed in the back of the neck.

Joni

The minor one was the character Caesar stabbed in the back of the neck.

Did he even have a name? During the episode I was thinking they just introduced him to get killed.
Edit: apparantly his name was Brictius, introduced in "Decimation" and looking his recap he deserved to get killed.

MG310

For those keeping score I believe Naevia is the only character left who was in every season of the show.

Santos, the bodyguard of Titus Batiatus and later Quintus Batiatus managed to survive from Gods of the Arena through the end of Vengeance but hasn't appeared this season.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
What an awesome episode, perfect in every respect. Hope Sparty's sendoff (or maybe not?) is just as good. Can't wait to see Caesar kill Tiberius next week. I can feel it coming, no way that kid is making it out alive. They've built up the hate for him, and he's the only thing standing between Caesar and his glory--and we all know where Caesar eventually ends up.

Can't wait for episode 9, the preview at the end of episode 8 made it look as epic as the embellished histories make it out to be.

And yeah I think the reception for Naevia would be positive if the old actress were playing her. She went through such a tremendous change of character that people associate the naive, gentle Naevia of the first season with the old actress, and so they only see the hateful, crazy ass new actress Naevia in s2 and s3. It's almost like they are two separate people. If new naevia was in season 1 or old naevia in season 2 or 3, I think people would be much more accepting.

+1 for the Arrow love as well. If anyone is looking for an awesome show after Spartacus, or more Manu Bennett, Arrow doesn't dissappoint. The pacing, action, story, and camera work have been amazing so far--it's a really enjoyable series, and I highly recommend it. Manu's character has also been upped to a regular for season 2 of Arrow.

Joni

+1 for the Arrow love as well. If anyone is looking for an awesome show after Spartacus, or more Manu Bennett, Arrow doesn't dissappoint. The pacing, action, story, and camera work have been amazing so far--it's a really enjoyable series, and I highly recommend it. Manu's character has also been upped to a regular for season 2 of Arrow.

The CW seems to love Spartacus, Cynthia Addai-Robinson (Naevia) is appearing on The Vampire Diaries.
Don't read further: she is killed after one episode.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Yeah, I know Stephen Amell, the lead actor on Arrow, tried out for the role of Spartacus along with Liam. You can tell Liam is a much better actor, but Amell is pretty solid as well (he's no Spartacus though).

I honestly wasn't even upset at all the bullshit that Tiberius pulled-off this last episode, except for one thing. It's probably because the writers went overboard making Tiberius do things to make the audience hate him, that it became comical and unbelievable. So, I couldn't even be mad at him. However, during the lead-up to the final head chop, I was telling myself, "He better not cut his head clean-off with one blow." And sure enough, he cuts Crixus' head clean-off. Remember Crixus, in Season 2, telling Naevia it's not easy to cleave a man's head from his shoulders in one blow? Naevia even had to take several swipes to behead Ashur. But somehow Tiberius is able to perform the feat like a fucking champ. That was truly the topper for Tiberius' unlikely feats for me.

aku:jiki

I honestly wasn't even upset at all the bullshit that Tiberius pulled-off this last episode, except for one thing. It's probably because the writers went overboard making Tiberius do things to make the audience hate him, that it became comical and unbelievable. So, I couldn't even be mad at him. However, during the lead-up to the final head chop, I was telling myself, "He better not cut his head clean-off with one blow." And sure enough, he cuts Crixus' head clean-off. Remember Crixus, in Season 2, telling Naevia it's not easy to cleave a man's head from his shoulders in one blow? Naevia even had to take several swipes to behead Ashur. But somehow Tiberius is able to perform the feat like a fucking champ. That was truly the topper for Tiberius' unlikely feats for me.
That annoyed me too and even though the eye shot was pretty nice, I think it'd have been even more effective and haunting if they had Tiberius chopping away at the neck while the camera slowly zoomed out and faded to black.

No music, either. The sad violin music made it 100% clear that Crixus was dying for far too long in advance. I mean, yeah, there wasn't much he could've done but no music at all would've kept us on our toes regardless... You never know how much this show is going to follow history, after all.

Hystzen

Lugo isn't dead...check the hot tub full of ladies and Lugo during the farewell party on this week's episode. Oddly he chose to go with Spartacus.

Yeah I noticed my mistake during a rewatch just last week they all said clearly oh no Lugo when they fell for trap in Crassus Tent messed with my head.

Another arc that is laughable is the Leata arc, Spartacus massacred her whole town killing people she cared about in the attack,killed her husband for no reason but still wants a piece of him.

I wonder this week gave vibes that Naevia is with child so I would not expect her to die this series anymore which will be the ultimate troll to people. This season started out vastly better then season 2 but looks like they going to mess it up during last 3 episodes

Ducarmel

I have not commented much on this season it felt like the show was just going through the motions, but that moment with Crixus and Spartacus was the best scene in the series imo, along with Agron's goodbye to Nasir. Wish Crixus died fighting with a sword in his hand and not on his knees.

I did not think I could dislike a character more then Ashur. Ashur was more of a weasel taking what he could get, Tiberius is going out of his way to be a d-bag.

I don't mind Naveia all that much they already established she was damaged goods when they freed her from the mines, I too would be bitter, distrustful and hateful of anything and anyone Roman related.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
is it actually possible they will kill spartacus ? if they follow the true story romans didnt kill him did they ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom