• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Special edition of Charlie Hebdo will feauture caricatures of Mohammed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't believe they're gonna insult all devoted Muslims to send the middle finger to some extremist terrorists. They have no integrity.

They're not insulting anyone. They're insulting a religious figure. It's not the same as directly insulting a group of real, living people, as would be the case with racism, sexism or religious persecution. Understand the distinction. If real, living people are "insulted" then that's their idiotic choice.

Integrity is exactly what's at stake here, and I'm glad to see their bravery in upholding it.

Not sure how I feel about this... On one hand, it's good that they're not bowing down to the extremists. On the other hand, this feels like petty/childish revenge. But maybe that's business as usual for them...

Charlie Hebdo was built on the ashes of Hara-Kiri magazine, which motto was "a stupid and nasty magazine", so it is business as usual. Also, we were warned:

KULNlqd.jpg

Not sure how I feel about this... On one hand, it's good that they're not bowing down to the extremists. On the other hand, this feels like petty/childish revenge. But maybe that's business as usual for them...

Agreed completely. If the situation escalates it's not going to be good for anyone.

Futureman

is there a website that has all the Islam stuff they've done in the past that lead to these terrorists acting out? Preferably w/ English translations if possible.

It already has escalated pretty damn high. If the situation escalated even higher then it's still the terrorists fault.
Yeah I see it escalating further if they keep doing it. No one is arguing who's fault it is but provocation can lead to something much worse.

tbm24

Yeah I see it escalating further if they keep doing it. No one is arguing who's fault it is but provocation can lead to something much worse.

The past few days would mean absolutely nothing if france and by extension the rest of the world gives in fears of retaliation now.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Agreed completely. If the situation escalates it's not going to be good for anyone.

The situation can hardly escalate much more. The threat of terror attacks is something every country has to live with and has been for many years.

At the end of the day most people, Muslim or otherwise, are not capable of killing in cold blood no matter how badly they are offended, there will always be a minority of militant lunatics and we should never bend to their will.

Cipherr

Can't believe they're gonna insult all devoted Muslims to send the middle finger to some extremist terrorists. They have no integrity.

LOL, thats quite an...... interesting and mildly suspicious thing to be thinking about/focusing on in these circumstances.

Darklord

Banned

Even if they complied the pieces of shit extremists will just attack something else. It's not like if they agree to not draw someone everything is cool. And it isn't provocation, it's them doing what they always do without bowing to hate and evil.

LOL, thats quite an...... interesting and mildly suspicious thing to be thinking about/focusing on in these circumstances.
Why is it suspicious? It's his view point and he is entitled to it. It may not be the majority view point on this forum but so what?

How is this supposed to be a discussion forum when only one viewpoint is allowed and the others are accused of being "shit posts" or "suspicious"?

KingGondo

Banned
You're still partially assigning blame toward the newspaper by using terms like "provocation."

I don't care if the newspaper publishes the most explicit, realistic sexual depiction of Muhammad possible. Violence in response to speech is never justifiable.

The only incorrect (although understandable) response would be for them to back down.

TalonJH

So torn! Fuck terrorist but I wouldn't want to offend other Muslims. The same way I wouldn't want to see video of Jesus or any religious figure being shot.

This

Trumps this.

Oh, no, you're definitely right.

But defending someone's right to do something does not obligate one to defend their choice to do something. Just because I think they have a right to print such cartoons doesn't mean I can't think it's an absolutely petty move that isn't going to improve the already tense situation.

Wreav

Banned
What happens when the rest of the Hebdo staff is killed by fanatical muslims?

Are they not just acting like the kid that sticks his dick in a beehive, gets stung, and then tries it again the next day?

The CH crew is probably somewhat blinded by their emotions from last week and looking to lash out the only way they can, but IMO just because they CAN doesn't mean they SHOULD.

You're still partially assigning blame toward the newspaper by using terms like "provocation."

I don't care if the newspaper publishes the most explicit, realistic sexual depiction of Muhammad possible. Violence in response to speech is never justifiable.

The only incorrect (although understandable) response would be for them to back down.
No I'm not blaming anyone so don't tell me what I'm trying to say. I actually wrote exactly who's fault it is and it's the people who attack others.

Savitar

There are risk to doing so as the killings showed, but the bravery to do so and prove that such attacks will not stop what they do is the right one.

MercuryLS

Banned

If they don't they'll be viewed as bowing to terrorists. Damned if they do and damned if they don't. While i defend freedom of speech, if you look back at the cartoons they've published in the past I don't see anything clever or satirical about them, they just come off as racist, xenophobic and compeletely incensitive.

Timeaisis

Actually, it's the opposite. They have whole and unwavering moral principles, the very definition of integrity. Having no integrity here would be immediately flip-flopping on their idea of free speech and changing their opinion based on fear or threats of violence.

zashga

First, The gunmen insulted Islam far worse than any newspaper ever could. Second, Charlie Hebdo carrying on in the face of violence demonstrates a great deal of integrity. Changing your behavior to please others is the opposite of integrity.

Wreav

Banned
If you can't see how denigrating a religion gives power to extremists, this thread won't be your convincing.

I'm all for Freedom of Speech but I also have my own set of tastes.

I like funny cartoons, I like to LOL. Charlie Hebdo tackled things related to French society yeah but their cartoons do not make my laugh out loud nor chuckle.
Some are better than others, some are in poor taste.

Their quality of cartoons remind me how I used to draw in High School. (I draw yes), I loved to make fun of policical figures of the time and make fun of my class mates.

But in comedy, there are methods of delivery that make you funny. There are comedians that are funny, there comedians that are not.

I love a good satirical cartoon, but in terms of quality and humor: I don't find most of Charlie Hebdo cartoons to tickle my funny bone or a chuckle. Not sophisticated enough.

i know it's the FAD of the week to pretend to like those cartoons, but in reality, do you find them funny?

Alx

What happens when the rest of the Hebdo staff is killed by fanatical muslims?

Are they not just acting like the kid that sticks his dick in a beehive, gets stung, and then tries it again the next day?

The CH crew is probably somewhat blinded by their emotions from last week and looking to lash out the only way they can, but IMO just because they CAN doesn't mean they SHOULD.

So you think they should avoid doing it for fear of being attacked again by terrorists ? Four million people marched yesterday to send the message "we're not afraid, and we won't get censored by violence". Wasn't it clear enough ?

i know it's the FAD of the week to pretend to like those cartoons, but in reality, do you find them funny?

I don't. I do like what Cabu or Wolinski did outside of CH, but the magazine itself aims at poor taste and easy offense, and succeeds at it. I even thought their special Muhammad edition was childish and asshole-ish ("don't like Danish Muhammad caricatures ? Here's an edition full of ours !").
It doesn't change my opinion they should have the right to do that.

Moff

so they should have learned their lesson, learned that it was their own fault that they were stung and never insult muslims again?

luckily, that is not how the world - and CH - sees this event.

I'm really curious to see what the world will be thinking of Charlie Hebdo once people get their hands on their first copy. It will probably be ugly, and I expect many "did I really associate with THAT ?". :p

If you understand the concepts of Freedom of Speech/Expression, you will understand other people will say stuff that may not be in your interest or to your liking.

In Denmark, we have the very similar "Og det var Danmark", that pretty much takes a dump on anything.

These are mild ones, they are often with nudity and very dark humour.
Billede9.jpg

Bird flu.

Going to the vet...

Nephtis

Provocation? So people that are violent and barbaric should have their feelings considered?

In a sense... yes?

Why don't you go make a cartoon about the cartels in the same vein as CH, and tell them where you work at?

I mean, after all, you shouldn't have to consider their feelings. Should be cool, right?

Wreav

Banned
So you think they should avoid doing it for fear of being attacked again by terrorists ? Four million people marched yesterday to send the message "we're not afraid, and we won't get censored by violence". Wasn't it clear enough ?

I think that just because they were doing it in the first place doesn't make that, or continuing to do it, helpful or "right". What they choose to do from this moment is on them, but they cannot be surprised when they get attacked again, because they will get attacked again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom