• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Speed Racer (2008, Wachowskis) - GO WATCH THIS NOW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, I am not the one watching movies for pretty visuals. I would think pictures would of been up more your intellectual alley.

dogchasingtail.jpg

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Hey, I am not the one watching movies for pretty visuals. I would think pictures would of been up more your intellectual alley.
BREAKING: PICTURES NOT 'INTELLECTUAL' DECLARES RENOWNED INTERNET EXPERT; LEADING ART HISTORIANS INITIATE MASS SEPPUKU

UrbanRats

It's entertainment with a strong vision and good crafting, some good performances and some nice writing to back it all up.
Ofcourse both performances AND writing MUST fit into that "vision" to be good, that doesn't make them bad by default.
Not all movies strive to be the same thing, and just because this is entertainment directed (mostly) at kids, doesn't mean its craft doesn't have an artistic value.
I don't see how you can say that it feels "fake", when inside its absurd candy-like shell, there's a simple but powerful story with some very good characters (again, given the context).

TJ Bennett

TJ Hooker
Speed Racer is a masterpiece. I saw it twice in IMAX and I love to pop in the blu-ray and soundtrack on random occasions. Pure bliss.

I spoke with a dvd producer about recent movies I loved and I mentioned that Speed Racer was a masterpiece. He said that he had met one other before who said the same thing. That person was David Fincher. I think Fincher would feel right at home here on GAF.

Dachande

I watched this because of this thread, even though I had friends who said it wasn't worth it. It sucked. I should've listened to my friends.

Speed Racer is a masterpiece. I saw it twice in IMAX and I love to pop in the blu-ray and soundtrack on random occasions. Pure bliss.

I spoke with a dvd producer about recent movies I loved and I mentioned that Speed Racer was a masterpiece. He said that he had met one other before who said the same thing. That person was David Fincher. I think Fincher would feel right at home here on GAF.

I dunno, man. I have a feeling that whenever anybody disagreed with him in any topic they would just pull out 'Yeah? Well at least I didn't make that piece of shit Alien 3.'

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Watched this movie on acid (for the first time on both counts). Yeah... what an amazing experience.

Korey

speedracerrexdqz7c.gif

My favorite shot of the movie. I don't think a better transition from past to present has ever been done...seriously. It's so good.

Mr. Sam

The first race is definitely my favourite. The rally's pretty fun, and the end is as bombastic as they come, but I think the first race resonates the most emotionally. I mean, come on, he's racing
his brother's ghost
. The shot where he smashes through
the ghost
at the end is awesome. Slight Mario Kart vibes from it to boot.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member

That's fucking awesome.
The first race is definitely my favourite. The rally's pretty fun, and the end is as bombastic as they come, but I think the first race resonates the most emotionally. I mean, come on, he's racing
his brother's ghost
. The shot where he smashes through
the ghost
at the end is awesome. Slight Mario Kart vibes from it to boot.
Tough call between that and the finale. I mean, how can you not be choked up by Speed remembering all the challenges he's faced and all the people supporting him using that as the fuel for a glorious, beautiful final lap?
It was poetry, mang. A moment of pure artistic inspiration and energy captured on video.

Oppo

I think the slug on meteoritic by the AV Club sums it up best for me:

The Onion AV Club said:
Borderline-experimental in the way it challenges the limits of perception. It's forward-thinking, visionary, and much of the time unwatchable.

Also I might offer a tip.

It is perfectly ok to love something that is bad, as long as you know it is bad. I really enjoy watching True Blood, for instance, but I know full well that show is just glamorous HBO trash.

It's when you try to convince others that the bad thing is actually good, where you get into trouble. Hence the OP's exuberant command to WATCH THIS NOW gets a bit of a reaction.

This movie is like the equivalent of one of the lamer Daft Punk songs to me. Not every project works out.

Gotta leave something for dat blu-ray experience.

I completely and fully understand this. That part just sends you to another world.

I just got done with Redline and holy shit, the director has a great style and the visuals are just awesome. It was a great blend of colors, words, unusual characters and designs, music, and genres.

Pollux

I agree. Maybe there is hope for you after all! :)

Amen!!!!!
kidding, although I think we really only disagree on the one issue

Just watched it again for the 2nd time in 2 weeks. Still have to convince the GF to watch it with me.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Saw this the other day and I liked it. Wasn't the shitfest I had heard it was so much before.

Mongol desert race was the best. Sorry guys.

I think dramatically, the last race is the best, but the desert race is real fucking fun. The part where he wipes out the two pink cars/sisters and they roll by, trailing dust clouds--it's so damned GORGEOUS, it almost looks unreal.

MicH

I actually caught this on cable a few weeks ago and thought it was excellent. Definitely getting the bluray!

Grisby

Rewatched this again last night thanks to this thread. I loved in the the theaters and I love it still. I think its one of the only movies to successfully translate an anime to live action film.

That last moment when speed's car goes ape shit always brings a tear to my eye. "When I watch you race, it just takes my breath away."

Good stuff.

jett

D-Member
Rewatched this again last night thanks to this thread. I loved in the the theaters and I love it still. I think its one of the only movies to successfully translate an anime to live action film.

That last moment when speed's car goes ape shit always brings a tear to my eye. "When I watch you race, it just takes my breath away."

Good stuff.

Yeah it's amazing stuff

speedracer6drop1ikuf.gif

God, reading the new posts from this thread listening to the song posted above I think it's time I drop all plans tonight and watch this movie. I'm still pissed at my friend who called me right at the very end of the last race when I was showing it off to my friends. Ugh.

Grisby

Yeah it's amazing stuff

speedracer6drop1ikuf.gif
Yeah, it made me sad that it didn't do so hot. When I got around to seeing it it had only been out a week and there was me and one other dude in the theater.

Sounded like he was having the time of his life too though.

Ashhong

Damn where were all of you in the LTTP Speed Racer thread? Is it because it didnt have such a fancy OP? :p

Missing this in the theaters is one of my all time biggest regrets. Makes me hate my life.

So I just watched the film based on the hype for this thread.. and I'm sorry but I have to say it was pretty horrible. The entire production is extremely corny, the acting is horrid, and the storyline nearly bore me to tears. I can tell they're trying to do a live-motion cartoon/comic feel with the vibrant colors and special effects, but honestly it just detracts any seriousness from the plot/characters and makes entire film excessively juvenile.

Sorry GAF but I just don't get the praise for this film.

Zabka

I thought all this Redline talk was about the horrible Eddie Griffin movie. Glad I watched the actual Redline, pretty amazing looking on Blu-Ray.

So I just watched the film based on the hype for this thread.. and I'm sorry but I have to say it was pretty horrible. The entire production is extremely corny, the acting is horrid, and the storyline nearly bore me to tears. I can tell they're trying to do a live-motion cartoon/comic feel with the vibrant colors and special effects, but honestly it just detracts any seriousness from the plot/characters and makes entire film excessively juvenile.

Sorry GAF but I just don't get the praise for this film.

It's okay. You just have the general opinion. It was a long time before there was a nice following. I sort of remember the OT for the film was pretty negative itself.

hsukardi

After hearing GAF's appraisal, I watched it on a plane flight.

It was really good. Don't know if I'd watch it again -- maybe for the choreography and certain scenes, but it was really good. You have to see past the craziness and colors.. or maybe, really be able to consume it as is, to not get urghed by the aesthetic.

Choabac

Because of this thread, I just watched this other day and I really enjoyed it. I thought it was a fun film and the Speed and Racer X story was really well handled. I especially liked the opening race, where he’s chasing his brother’s ghost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom