• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Speed Racer (2008, Wachowskis) - GO WATCH THIS NOW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So I just watched the film based on the hype for this thread.. and I'm sorry but I have to say it was pretty horrible. The entire production is extremely corny, the acting is horrid, and the storyline nearly bore me to tears. I can tell they're trying to do a live-motion cartoon/comic feel with the vibrant colors and special effects, but honestly it just detracts any seriousness from the plot/characters and makes entire film excessively juvenile.

Sorry GAF but I just don't get the praise for this film.

That's the idea though, it's not meant to be deep.

FreeMufasa

Just got done watching this.

First of all, I had to watch it in SD =( Was still a visual treat but I couldn't help imagine how great it could look.

Anyway the film is as amazing as I thought it would be and i'm a fool for waiting this long to watch it.

I do wish they'd have left out the fat kid and the chimp. They should release a new version with all their scenes and appearances deleted. They added absoloutely nothing.

Korey

Cheap on Amazon today. I bought it.

YEAH!!!!

Woot!

Just got done watching this.

First of all, I had to watch it in SD =( Was still a visual treat but I couldn't help imagine how great it could look.

Anyway the film is as amazing as I thought it would be and i'm a fool for waiting this long to watch it.

I do wish they'd have left out the fat kid and the chimp. They should release a new version with all their scenes and appearances deleted. They added absoloutely nothing.

Glad you liked it :)

Ashhong

Gotta admit, I'm a little sad none of my posts were included in the OP :( Posted quite a bit in a few Speed Racer threads. Hate you OP.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Wow, just finished this...fucking awesome.

Very glad I listened to you guys, thanks.

MacGuffin

This was my first Blu-Ray on purpose and by choice.

I loved it in the theater. I was shocked when I heard people didn't like it.

zeioIIDX

*gasp*....whoa. You guys were right!! I'm watching Speed Racer for the first time (used to watch the cartoon every blue moon as a child). I just got to the scene with the desert race and when they sun came up and the race started...and the racers started speeding through the Indian temple looking place...I literally got goosebumps and realized after a minute how large my eyes had widened (o_0) The visuals in this film are intense, the colors are bold, and the action is plentiful. After only seeing commercials for this film years ago, I never in m life imagined this movie would actually hold my attention or be any good but I'm honestly entertained and I'm seriously contemplating getting the series or the manga at some point. Just....wow.

*gasp*....whoa. You guys were right!! I'm watching Speed Racer for the first time (used to watch the cartoon every blue moon as a child). I just got to the scene with the desert race and when they sun came up and the race started...and the racers started speeding through the Indian temple looking place...I literally got goosebumps and realized after a minute how large my eyes had widened (o_0) The visuals in this film are intense, the colors are bold, and the action is plentiful. After only seeing commercials for this film years ago, I never in m life imagined this movie would actually hold my attention or be any good but I'm honestly entertained and I'm seriously contemplating getting the series or the manga at some point. Just....wow.

I had to laugh at this, since you're posting on a forum when you're only halfway through.

This thread's constant bumping and the price at Amazon led me to buy this. Hasn't come yet. If it sucks I will never trust GAF again. But you've gotten what you wanted already!

This thread's constant bumping and the price at Amazon led me to buy this. Hasn't come yet. If it sucks I will never trust GAF again. But you've gotten what you wanted already!

Speed Racer is awesome, but it is still a wise idea to never trust GAF. GAF made me give The Karate Kid remake a chance. Never again.

DJ_Lae

Finally popped the blu-ray in last night - only watched about 20 minutes of it but I was quickly reminded how goddamn colourful the movie is. It's absolutely gorgeous.

And also how terrible a movie it would be to show to an epileptic.

NinjaBoiX

Picked this up on blu-ray and watched it last night. Visually outstanding, deliriously entertaining and brilliantly captured the vibe of the show...I just hated the kid with the chimp.

Untracked

Just checking back in after finally getting around to watching the Blu-ray.
Gotta say I wasn't expecting much, I thought there'd be a lot of cheese and some nice effects, but I've never seen anything like that before. Visually, it blew my tiny mind, absolutely loved it!
I'd never have bothered watching this if I hadn't read this thread, so I'm very glad I did.

Nice one GAF.

Korey

Just checking back in after finally getting around to watching the Blu-ray.
Gotta say I wasn't expecting much, I thought there'd be a lot of cheese and some nice effects, but I've never seen anything like that before. Visually, it blew my tiny mind, absolutely loved it!
I'd never have bothered watching this if I hadn't read this thread, so I'm very glad I did.

Nice one GAF.

Woot! Glad you liked it!

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I've never liked Speed Racer 2008. Love the old cartoon, but I find the movie boring. Sure, the visuals are cartonnish and crazy and outlandish, but they just fucking irritate me. And the races did not excite me at all, I felt no sense of tension or urgency or wonder in any of them. I just don't like the route the brothers took with this one. But it has been a few years, maybe I'll buy this on blu-ray and bring it home and watch it in hi def on my 61" with surround and see if time has allowed me to finally appreciate whatever it is all of you love about it...

You have to give the Washowski's one thing though: they sure did make a movie that was unique and polarizing. It never fails to stir debate and conversation not only here on GAF but also in real life too.

Okay, so I bought this tonight for $8 on blu-ray from a Best Buy and my gf and I sat down and watched it. And...

I still don't like it. In fact, I really don't like it. Yes, it's colorful. Yes, the cast is good. But, the chaotic direction style just irritates me. And, the races hold no weight or tension for me whatsoever. None. It's just too random and unrealistic and crazy just for the sake of being crazy. I can barely tell what's happening half of the time, and if I can't tell whats happening how am I supposed to care about it? The races in Cars had more tension, action, and emotion and feel behind them than Speed Racer 2008. This movie gives me the exact same feeling that the new Star Wars movies from George Lucas gave me: too many effects on screen at the same time just because you can, and not enough story behind them to make it matter. It just doesn't have substance.

IMHO of course.

Sorry GAF, but I disagree with the majority on this one. I just don't like this movie, at all. I'm sorry I spent $8 to validate my initial feelings on it four years ago, but eh, it's only $8.

ChryZ

Picked up the Bluray for cheap, watched and enjoyed it. Completely ridiculous in the most fabulous way. I've never seen its cartoon, so no nostalgia here.

Mengetsu

Okay, so I bought this tonight for $8 on blu-ray from a Best Buy and my gf and I sat down and watched it. And...

I still don't like it. In fact, I really don't like it. Yes, it's colorful. Yes, the cast is good. But, the chaotic direction style just irritates me. And, the races hold no weight or tension for me whatsoever. None. It's just too random and unrealistic and crazy just for the sake of being crazy. I can barely tell what's happening half of the time, and if I can't tell whats happening how am I supposed to care about it? The races in Cars had more tension, action, and emotion and feel behind them than Speed Racer 2008. This movie gives me the exact same feeling that the new Star Wars movies from George Lucas gave me: too many effects on screen at the same time just because you can, and not enough story behind them to make it matter. It just doesn't have substance.

IMHO of course.

Sorry GAF, but I disagree with the majority on this one. I just don't like this movie, at all. I'm sorry I spent $8 to validate my initial feelings on it four years ago, but eh, it's only $8.

You tried and was open minded about it that's the most important part. Good show.

DEO3

Congratulations guys, all of your Speed Racer threads over the years have finally paid off. I decided to give it a shot, and holy fuck.

Congratulations guys, all of your Speed Racer threads over the years have finally paid off. I decided to give it a shot, and holy fuck.

Another satisfied customer!

I can't seem to find my BluRay-- as cheap as it is, I'll probably just buy it again.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

Same here. Bought it and watched it a couple weeks ago and I really enjoyed it. It was the closest thing I've seen to a cartoon in live action.

Wow gaf this movie is fucking awesome. The last race was exhilarating for me. Haters are haters but this movie deserved better than what it received from theater audiences. Go Go Speed Racer!!!

lacinius

Speed Racer is a very strong family film. The unforced lessons of morality, integrity and the importance of family are something I'm sure most can appreciate as something worthwhile in a film for the younger crowd.

Sure as an adult I could have done without the kid and chimp scenes, but those measure... what, in minutes... and are easily ignorable. Don't know what those characters were like in the original anime, but I can understand their needing to be included in this film. However the rest of the film is just stunning, and I know the mind of my younger self would have been blown away at seeing something like this in the theatre.

I have watched this a number of times already, and probably my favourite and strongest sequence is
the early flashback montage that leads up to and ends with the young Speed crying in his mother's lap after watching the apparent death of his older brother. You would have to be made of stone not to have felt something over that. To present something like that in a family film... well that is some heavy shit for a kid to experience given the idol worship previously presented,
and is why Speed Racer outclasses much of what passes for family films these days.

Suddenly I feel like I need to watch this again, and since it's Saturday afternoon... Speed Racer is perfect!! :)

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
I remember almost being late for the IMAX showing of that movie on release day because of my wife and giving her shit on the way as we were going to get really bad seats, and then we got there and the room wasn't even a quarter full. Still one of the most amazing movies I have seen in IMAX to date, definitely worth it, and would have probably given seizures to people if it had been shown in 3D. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom