• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Speed Racer (2008, Wachowskis) - GO WATCH THIS NOW

Status
Not open for further replies.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
The Reboot sequence is one of the best scenes last decade. Its a film filled with a lot of artistic ambition and love. Not for those dead inside :p, but really its a love it or hate it film.

Might I add, I saw it twice in theater, once on the Imax. The stories my eyes could tell.

Evlar

Banned
Inception

Also Fellowship of the Ring, Pulp Fiction, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, The Big Lebowski, Alien, The Godfather, Shawshank Redemption...

Threads on those movies usually suffer little criticism. The first Speed Racer thread was a kill box in comparison.

Grinchy

Banned
I never liked the cartoon, but I enjoyed this movie way more than I thought I would. I'm surprised it gets the hate that it does. My little brother was a huge fan of the cartoon and he refuses to acknowledge this movie even exists.

saelz8

I just watched it because of this thread.

The aesthetic is kind of jarring at first, but it grows on you.

Awesome, awesome movie.

Thank you, OP. (I would have never watched it otherwise)

I still remember when I saw it in theatres. I was with three friends and apart from one other dude who fell asleep ten minutes into the movie, we were the only ones in the theatre. It was glorious on the big screen, though.

It's got a good soundtrack and some nice visuals. And aside from the dumbass chimp and midget everybody else is fine.

You'll like it if you can accept that they literally adapted an anime into a live action film, zany dialogue and all.

Tintin's way better though

It's got a good soundtrack and some nice visuals. And aside from the dumbass chimp and midget everybody else is fine.

You'll like it if you can accept that they literally adapted an anime into a live action film, zany dialogue and all.

Tintin's way better though

My man.

Speed Racer is awesome and bombed because dumbasses the world over rejected seeing the film because they were initially put off by a different visual style than they were used to. At least this retardation has been narrowed to the U.S for Tintin.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Speed Racer is awesome and bombed because dumbasses the world over rejected seeing the film because they were initially put off by a different visual style than they were used to.

To be fair, I don't think the audience can be blamed entirely as I think the marketing campaign (especially the trailer) failed to properly position the movie leaving it to languish in the no mans land between "That looks like it is for kids" and "I don't know if I can take my kids to that".

I will add my support. This is one of my favorite movies of the last decade. Probably the finest translation of a cartoon to live-action ever.

Switters

Whether you like the movie or not, it must be given its due visually.

Seeing this movie on blu-ray was a personal singularity, like the first time I ever saw something in HD.

This thread has my love and support <3

VERY special film between my son and I. Saw it day one in the theaters and it's a day we'll never forget T__T

That's because most reviewers treated is as a live-action movie, even though it's quite clearly supposed to be a cartoon. The over-the-top mannerisms and character actions that would have flown in animation were seen as hokey and badly-acted because they were being performed by actors.

The racing and visuals are stylized, I don't understand why people are unhappy that the acting and dialog are, too.

I wish I'd seen this in the theaters, and it begs for a 3D conversion.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I think the reason I disliked the film so much might be because of the human elements...this is a film that cries out to be full CG, I think.

I've tried watching it twice and aside from the excellent highway chase night scene, I just can't get through it. It's just an utterly boring movie. But I have to be missing something I guess.

Keyouta

Watching the movie right now because of all the good reviews from the Live action anime thread. I always put it off but it actually seems really good.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Beautiful, beautiful movie. And beautiful thread!
a year from now, we'll have the same kind of thread dedicated to Tintin.
Tintin is great fun, but it can't match the heart and soul or artistry of Speed Racer.

Saw it five times in the cinema. Best movie of whatever year it came out.
Saw it TWICE theatrically in May 2008, digitally projected. *puffs up chest*
The Reboot sequence is one of the best scenes last decade. Its a film filled with a lot of artistic ambition and love. Not for those dead inside :p, but really its a love it or hate it film.

Might I add, I saw it twice in theater, once on the Imax. The stories my eyes could tell.
Saw this movie three times in the theaters, drove 143 miles one way to see it in IMAX.

Yes. Go buy the Bluray or DVD now.
brofists all round
Saw it three times in cinemas. Amazing every time!

Unlike others, I think the characters/dialogue/acting all go well with the tone of the movie, and although it could be argued it's too long, it never fails to hold my interest and it just gets more fun as it goes along for me.
The visuals are amazing, but you'll also be surprised by how much emotional impact the movie has. It's a very earnest, honest movie. You care about all these ridiculous characters and you can't help but root for Speed. It's a simple tale of good vs. evil, but it just works nicely. It's not just a VFX extravaganza. It's a live action animated movie, that's exactly what it is. I've always said this: watching the first 20 minutes is a good experiment. If you like that, you'll love everything else.
Agreed. People often say it's an awesome spectacle and shitty storytelling, but the acting and story presentation somehow managed to walk on the thin line between knowing irony and moving sincerity.
Don't worry. There are far more entertaining and more important films out there to watch. This was one of the worst films I have ever seen in a theater.
IMPORTANT FILMS
That's because most reviewers treated is as a live-action movie, even though it's quite clearly supposed to be a cartoon. The over-the-top mannerisms and character actions that would have flown in animation were seen as hokey and badly-acted because they were being performed by actors.
How would reviewers today react to a lot of the great silent films?
Speed Racer's one of my favorite movies of the last decade. It's a great film in just about every sense. Here's why critics didn't like it, IMO:

1. It's too colorful. Fuck it, it's true.

2. They refused to take the dramatic part seriously or even pay attention to it.

The thing about the film is that there is a genuine, meaningful emotional core that gives it depth. The family drama is for real. It's written well. The acting, in scenes that actually require nuanced acting, is superb. The non-twist twist of Racer X is great, and adds a genuine bitter tang to what would have been a saccharine finale.

The messages about industry corruption and manipulation, I'm just about certain, were the filmmakers willing to bite the hand that fed them, even if it tanked their career. If anything, the film is subversive. They went and asked for a lot of money to make a popcorn film that had great visuals and was family friendly. Then turned in a movie that viciously mocks the men who held their own purse strings.

There is much more subtlety in the foundation of the film than there appears at a glance. It isn't just a cartoon world, it's a detailed alternate reality with its own history. The Wachowski's put what a lot would consider way too much work into it, so that even incidental references have some context.

And, of course, the action, staging, racing, and sheer conceptualization of the scenarios is like nothing else out there.

I do think it's a film that will curdle one's blood if they take themselves and cinema with too much pretentiousness. It's a giant piss take at a lot of things, including the Wachowski's own career and hyperbole surrounding the Matrix trilogy. (If anything, the movie almost seems like a coded personal apology from the Wachowski's for selling out, after the original Matrix, and seeing dollar signs with the sequels.)
Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes. Everything you say is true.
The story isn't just filler between race sequences. It's great. The family drama is much more genuine than so many smugly 'honest' movies about dysfunctional families.
It's very well thought out and thematically consistent, from its family vs corporation story to the design to the camera work to the performances to the out-there editing style, and it all comes together in a blaze of glory in that final race sequence.

If only they knew when to hold back on Sprittle and Chim-Chim.

Solo

The messages about industry corruption and manipulation, I'm just about certain, were the filmmakers willing to bite the hand that fed them, even if it tanked their career. If anything, the film is subversive. They went and asked for a lot of money to make a popcorn film that had great visuals and was family friendly. Then turned in a movie that viciously mocks the men who held their own purse strings.

Nail, meet head. This is what the film is actually about - its a deeply personal film about the Wachowskis and their journey through Hollywood, about artistic integrity vs bending over and studio stuff their hand up your backside. They are Speed and the Hollywood suits are Royalton Industries.

Solo

For all of the (deserved) praise the final 20 minutes/reboot scene get, I think that the first 20 minutes deserve just as much, if not moreso praise. The way the narrative is delivered and the juxtaposition of the two timelines is absolutely brilliant and the Wachowski's directed and edited the hell out of it.

As an aside, WB fucked up so badly by not choosing the Wachowskis for Superman. So badly.

ckohler

I asked my friend to watch it. He thought it was dumb. I think it's great.

Dat last race... so epic. I love the flashbacks. It's poetic and frenetic at the same time. Pure edge of your seat awesome.

jett

D-Member
Royalton's completely diabolical villain speech is some good shit.

qpUNA.gif

For all of the (deserved) praise the final 20 minutes/reboot scene get, I think that the first 20 minutes deserve just as much, if not moreso praise. The way the narrative is delivered and the juxtaposition of the two timelines is absolutely brilliant and the Wachowski's directed and edited the hell out of it.

As an aside, WB fucked up so badly by not choosing the Wachowskis for Superman. So badly.

I'm glad the Wachowski's aren't tied down to Superman and are instead doing more unconventional fair with Cloud Atlas. Were they also stuck doing Superman movies, we probably would be getting Jupiter Rising.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
I goddamn love Roger Allam in this movie.
Yeah, it's amazing.
Dat last race... so epic. I love the flashbacks. It's poetic and frenetic at the same time. Pure edge of your seat awesome.
Yeah, it's amazing.
So I guess I may be a little more sensitive to the backlash about this because gaffots loving this movie was the original backlash against its universally poor critical reputation. What the hell do movie critics know, though?
The vast majority of 'major' film critics are small minded idiots. I started to become entrenched in this view when I saw the critical reception of The New World.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
How the fuck does everyone love this movie except professional reviewers?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Add me to the list of LOVED IT.

Showed it to my girlfriend a few weeks ago, also LOVED IT.

Outside the cheese, it is the best editing-directing jod the Wachowski have ever done (it was (is?) ahead of its time). That final race alone is something you should watch even if you can't handle the cartoony tone of the rest of the film.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom